I need new dishes....what ones are your favorite?

wmackleit

Mouseketeer
I need new dishes .... I still have some that my mom gave me...that were hers. I would like some that are fun colors. Any ideas .... I would also like to know how much they are?

Thank you
Wendy

We bought some from WDW. Blue and white with just mickey and ones with Winnie the Pooh. Paid $10 for 1 plate. Cant remember bowls were either $8 or $10 a bowl not sure of the othere prices getting them a little at a time.

I like the plain white Corelle dishes. I got mine at Walmart, you can buy a starter set or just buy individual pieces. I love them because they are plain white so they are always in season, go with all Holidays and don't go out of style. I also like them because they are durable and they stack "skinny". I did drop a salad/soup bowl recently on our tile floor and it shattered, but I was able to go to Walmart and buy another one. They also make salad bowls, serving bowls, platters etc, you can make a set out of whatever pieces suit your needs. I didn't buy the boxed set, I started with basic dinner plates and smaller plates (not saucers because we never use those) cereal bowls the salad/soup bowels and 4 coffee cups. I've added a few different serving bowls and that seems to be enough for us, I also have white Corning wear serving bowls and they match nicely too. I really think being able to buy individual pieces is GREAT! I have a bunch of cereal bowls because I found a stack of them at the thrift store! :banana:

We got our every day set at Ikea - $24.99 - that was 6 place settings - dinner plate, salad plate, and good size bowls. (http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?cattype=sub&topcategoryId=15591&categoryId=15808&parentCats=15591*15803*15805&storeId=12&catalogId=10103&langId=-1). They don't sell the set online, but do at the stores. They also have a bunch of "serving" pieces to complete the set along with mugs. They have been quite sturdy and I like the fact that when I did drop one on the concrete outside and it broke I was able to zip over and get one more plate. We are in the process of registering for our wedding and I get get my DFi to pick something new so we're just going to get another set of 6. JMTC :-)

If you are looking for use everyday type dishes then buy Corelle! They are very family friendly plus if something breaks you can usually buy replacements.

I have longaberger that I love (have the eggplant) they go from the microwave to the table is DH works late. http://www.longaberger.com/cgi-bin/...goAction=changeColor&pottery_color=1073770969

But I would get Fiestaware if I had to pay for my dishes. (Mom bought me the longaberge for Christmas and Birthday) http://www.hlchina.com/fiestacolors.htm
They are very colorful and at Marshall Fields over the weekend the place setting was on sale for $24.99. That didnt seem to bad for fiestaware, the open stock pieces were 30% off.

I'm all about Corelle. My SIL gave us her set when she got a Faltzcraft set. I love the Corelle. It's light, it takes up less space than other dishes, and they're pretty darn rugged. They can and will break if you drop them on something really hard. My pattern has been discontinued, but I keep looking on ebay and my whole family is on the lookout at yard sales for other pieces.

I have Platzgraff for my "holiday/good dishes" and like them. There are Platzgraff Factory outlets all over and if you sign up for their rewards program you get gift certificates when you reach a certain $$ amount. They also have an online store and I scored in their online after Christmas sale. I have the Winterberry Christmas Pattern and Yorktowne for other special occasions. They are always coming out with new patterns and pieces. They have a lot of pattern choices. Platzgraff is stoneware so it is heavy. Goes from freezer to oven to table.

For my everyday dishes I have various pastel Fiestaware dishes. These are my favorite dishes. I bought my first sets at Speigel many years ago and have since picked up pieces on ebay, at TJMaxx, at Amazon.com and JC Penney. Penney's has more of a selection online than in the stores. I wait for a sale and a free shipping code and then I go to town picking up new pieces. If I only had one set of dishes, Fiestaware would be it. Goes from oven to table.

I also have a set of Corning Ware I picked up at Walmart. Walmart had the best prices for sets....they even beat the fatory outlets. I found platters and bowls and other serving pieces at the Corning Factory Outlet. My SIL has trouble lifting things because of problems with her wrists and she also has Correll because it is so light. Can't put these in the oven.

I love buying dishes. Have fun and please let us know what you decide on!!

Another vote for Correlle!!! My mom had them when I was growing up, and in many many years only 2 ever broke. They're great if you have kids, or a clumsy husband. And there are lots of patterns out there for variety. I actually have 3 patterns mixed together, so I don't get bored with them, and it doesn't matter as much if one breaks.

Melissa

:cheer2: Fiestaware! :cheer2:

I really like the durability of Fiestaware and they have some great colors. I have a dinner plate, salad plate, and bowl from each color and I like that I can just mix and match for something fun. My favorite reseller is: http://www.megachina.com/ because they will let you mix-and-match colors within a set.

englishteacha said:
I'm all about Corelle. My SIL gave us her set when she got a Faltzcraft set. I love the Corelle. It's light, it takes up less space than other dishes, and they're pretty darn rugged. They can and will break if you drop them on something really hard. My pattern has been discontinued, but I keep looking on ebay and my whole family is on the lookout at yard sales for other pieces.

What is your pattern?? How long it's been discontinued? Have you called any of the Factory outlets?? LMK the pattern name and I can check for you the next time I go to the outlets if you want. Not sure if they ship.

My set is a white pattern trimmed in green. At the factory outlet they had soup bowls and other dishes that were plain white trimmed in green. so they would go with any pattern that was white and trimmed in green. They also had plain white (WINTER WHITE) and plain beige or tan. That might also be another option for you.

Another option is to contact Corning directly if you haven't already. They just might have those dishes haning around somewhere. You never know.

Calliaz said:
I really like the durability of Fiestaware and they have some great colors. I have a dinner plate, salad plate, and bowl from each color and I like that I can just mix and match for something fun. My favorite reseller is: http://www.megachina.com/ because they will let you mix-and-match colors within a set.

Thanks for the link. :thumbsup2

My set is all pastels and many of them are discontinued. This site has a huge inventory of Seamist---one of my discontinued colors. Looks like I'm going shopping!!! :rotfl:

My mom swears by Corelle. She has arthritis issues, so she likes them because they are light, but durable.

We have Fiestaware and I love them. We have 2 sets of 6 different pastel colors. We mix/match them all the time. I love that I can do that, and they never go out of style.

I'm event tempted to get some Scarlet, Shamrock and White for Christmas dishes.

Another vote for Corelle! My mom's set is 30 years old and still going strong. we love our set, and we love that there are coordinating bowls, bakeware, glasses, etc. It's inexpensive, and it doesn't take up as much room (or weigh as much) as stoneware.

I'm not sure the price but I saw some great dishes at Big Lots. They had some great colors to mix n match too.

Another vote here for Fiestaware!

I love mine, I have 8 sets right now. I usually get mine at Dillards, they are $20 per place setting. Dinner plate, salad plate, bowl, cup and saucer. I buy mine so every setting is a different color.

I have been searching for a Fiestaware child's tea set that is reasonably priced, but no luck yet.

Another vote here for Fiestaware!

I love mine, I have 8 sets right now. I usually get mine at Dillards, they are $20 per place setting. I think they are the 5 piece set. Dinner plate, salad plate, bowl, cup and saucer. I buy mine so every setting is a different color.

I have been searching for a Fiestaware child's tea set that is reasonably priced, but no luck yet.

Another vote for Corelle.

They are very light weight, durable and have so many coordinating pieces. I have the Callaway, which is the ivy vine pattern. I love it!!!

Calliaz said:

I actually got excited when I saw this thread. :rotfl: I have an odd addiction to dinnerware. I LOVE Fiestaware. I agree megachina is a great place to buy. Sometimes Amazon has good deals, too (but I think they are starting to sell less). Ebay is another source, but the shipping usually makes it more expensive than megachina or Amazon. They are heavy dishes, which some people don't like, but it doesn't bother me. I think they are incredibly durable. In the last five years that I have been using Fiesta for everyday dishes, only one piece has chipped. I have two boys, so this is amazing. I love opening my cabinets to all the beautiful cheery colors. The one downside I will mention is that the darker colors show scratches from utensils much more so than the lighter colors.

Happy dish shopping :cheer2:

Check out Williams Sonoma, Pottery Barn, or Crate & Barrel. We registered for and received a set from Williams Sonoma for our everyday ware, and we love it!

Another vote for Fiestaware here! :thumbsup2 I love mine! Colorful and heavy duty. Did you know that they are also oven proof!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter