I must be cheap!

michi-gan

Earning My Ears
Holy moly are the deluxe onsite lodging options expensive!! $500-$900 per night during spring break time for 2013!! And really only for a glorified hotel room. Yea I get the onsite, your at Disney magic thing and convience but where does one put the value!?

Heck the moderate lodging during that time is crazy enough. I guess its off-site lodging for us.

I have a hard time with the prices on the deluxe resorts too. I love staying deluxe but can no longer justify the cost.

I'm still ok with the moderate lodging costs but spring break is an expensive time so I'd be balking at that rate too.

Maybe a nice discount will show up for Disney resorts and you could move on site. Keep an eye open for the discounts on the Disney website.

Good luck!

Yeah. It is getting so expensive that I am looking elsewhere. We could afford the price, but I don't think the VALUE is there. Right now I have the Marriott Residence Inn booked for a December trip. I got a 2 bedroom condo type room (master bedroom with 1 king bed and second bedroom with 2 queen beds with full kitchen, living room, etc. PLUS full breakfast) for $139 per night. Plus 4th night free.

My girls are older now (teens) and appreciate the space more than the "Disney magic."

PS. Try the Swan and Dolphin too. We stayed there before and really enjoyed it. Loved the location.

Maggie

I've heard a rumour in the Discount thread that there will be discounts released Jan3.
Personally for us, we'd rather stay at a wdw value resort then off site. By the time you calculate adding a car rental and parking fees staying off site, the savings diminish.

I've heard a rumour in the Discount thread that there will be discounts released Jan3.
Personally for us, we'd rather stay at a wdw value resort then off site. By the time you calculate adding a car rental and parking fees staying off site, the savings diminish.

We agree. We would NEVER stay off property. We have had to wait a long time for this next trip. We like the extra Pixie Dust feeling you get. We get 2 connecting rooms feels like a suite. Never touch our car while we're there. No a family suit isn't for us and was about $400 more than 2 standard rooms?!?( for 8 nights) :thumbsup2. We have friends in Orlando who invited us to stay with them but we said no thank you.

I know I'm cheap! However, we are fine with the value resorts and would not stay offsite for any reason. It's just a matter of personal preference and what is important to you in a place to stay. We always rent a vacation home at the beach, and we enjoy relaxing there, but that has no appeal for us at Disney.

Everyone's idea of value differs, and it's all good. However, for us, the deluxe rack rates have never been a good 'value'. Especially when compared to 4 or 5 star hotels offsite. We are quite content to stay at mods on most of our trips. We have the luxury of being able to pick our dates so that we can avoid the most expensive times of the year. And we can slide dates to take advantage of discounts that are of use to us.

I can't forsee a circumstance that would force us to stay off property. But we reserve our deluxe stays for special occasions during the off seasons.

I'd prefer Value resort to off-site. POP is our favorite but we haven't visited AoA yet. If I were in your position, I'd book Mod if possible. If not cost effective, I'd book Value and change to Mod when a good code comes out. :-) good luck

We end up in deluxe because there are 5 of us and we prefer the 2 bedrooms so that the kids can nap or go to bed and DH and I aren't stuck tip-toeing around the room in darkness for a few more hours. I have come to really appreciate having a kitchen and laundry so we do save some money by eating breakfast in the room (as well as keeping snacks and things there) and save luggage space by doing laundry while we're there. But yeah, the prices are pretty crazy.

Everyone's idea of value differs, and it's all good. However, for us, the deluxe rack rates have never been a good 'value'. Especially when compared to 4 or 5 star hotels offsite. We are quite content to stay at mods on most of our trips. We have the luxury of being able to pick our dates so that we can avoid the most expensive times of the year. And we can slide dates to take advantage of discounts that are of use to us.

I can't forsee a circumstance that would force us to stay off property. But we reserve our deluxe stays for special occasions during the off seasons.

:thumbsup2Ditto:thumbsup2
We will do a Deluxe trip only when its a short one (3-4 nights) and ONLY with at least 35% discount. I do not believe in paying an extra $150-$200 a night just so I can get to the park 10-15 minutes faster.

Out of curiosity, have you ever gone at Spring Break before? We went one time and swore we would NEVER go that week again. I've never been at Christmas, but Spring Break is the highest crowds I've ever seen.

Typically.. the week between Christmas & New Year's.. is a bit like Spring Break -- except on STEROIDS.

I like to find discounts on deluxe rooms - say AKL for $175-220/night - and IMO it is totally worth that price!:goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes It would however be a stretch to book a room for $500/night for me at the moment and I am not sure how worth it it would be.

I like to find discounts on deluxe rooms - say AKL for $175-220/night - and IMO it is totally worth that price!:goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes It would however be a stretch to book a room for $500/night for me at the moment and I am not sure how worth it it would be.

Where are you finding that kind of discount?

Where are you finding that kind of discount?

I don't know your dates, but I just booked 2 nights at the AKL for marathon weekend on expedia for like ~$200 in January. My other nights at the Swan and I'm hoping more rooms open up, but it does happen, just depends on your availablity.

Personally, due to work, I always book at the last minute (or last minute for Disboards) so sometimes I get really high rates and sometimes incredibly low rates. It might be worth to keep checking in, you never know when you might get lucky!

Holy moly are the deluxe onsite lodging options expensive!! $500-$900 per night during spring break time for 2013!! And really only for a glorified hotel room. Yea I get the onsite, your at Disney magic thing and convience but where does one put the value!?

Heck the moderate lodging during that time is crazy enough. I guess its off-site lodging for us.

I have no problem staying off-site, and have done so many times. However, I would never stay off site during a peak period.

Many times Disney will have the Magic Kingdom have morning EMH for days on end when the parks are that busy. Which puts you behind from the very start. Also staying off site you will be among the first kept out of the parks if they reach capacity.

To me the value is in having almost constant bus service. The value is in the extra hours, which can be worth their weight in gold over a busy time. The value is in knowing I will be able to get in the parks when those staying off site will be kept out. Going to WDW over a holiday or peak period is no time to be cheap! Staying off site an losing all of those perks to save a few bucks is being penny wise and pound foolish, imho.

Sure, during a less busy time of year stay off site. Not during Spring Break.

OP--Are you just looking during Easter Week? Checking prices you can stay at the Wilderness Lodge for under $500 a night. And a moderate would be around $250 a night. Not cheap, but not horrible either. But then, I would never consider a trip to WDW to be a cheap vacation.:)

That's why we almost always rent DVC points. For our January trip, we have 7 nights at SSR/AKV split stay for around $1100...renting points is the best value for Deluxe resort stays, IMHO.

I am feeling your pain!!! I have been pricing different resorts and can't believe the prices. My dh wanted to stay at CR, but during our trip it would be $770 a night! I can't not imagine paying that much. Still hoping for some discounts when I book mid January.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter