I missed the SW 60k offer

I have a good friend who applied and was approved 4 days ago for his wife the Plus and Premier. Based on @Friendlyadvice2 saying 1/12/18 is the date to meet the min spend by as of today (9/20), it would seem my friend has the chance to drag out his spending and also get CP for 2018 and 2019. Does that sound correct? I told him to send a SM and ask but he is a total newbie to all this so I am trying to help.

You are correct, see my post above; your friend should be in great shape to get the CP. He should absolutely wait to hit the MSR until early January so they can get the CP for '18/19.

This 60K offer has really changed the game this time. In the past, we'd all be trying to apply around Nov/Dec and have about a month to hit the MSR so we'd get the CP in early Jan, but with this offer expiring soon, we have to change our mindset to really push the limits of the MSR date to hit it closer to the end rather than the beginning. I'm definitely not complaining with as many times as I've churned these cards, this will definitely be the easiest time I've ever had obtaining the CP.....it's just a slightly different strategy this time!

Sort of on topic but not really – I got the credit card with the 60k offer. This will not be our primary credit card and I’m solely using it right now to get the 60k miles. That said, I’m pretty sure I know the answer but wanted others opinions – can I use my card and automatically make a payment to cover it… which may make my statement $0 each month (or perhaps close to it, some may not post exactly the same time). Will I still get my bonus points, as I’ve used the card for $2k worth of purchases? I’m thinking this will work but it’s been a while since I’ve done bonus offers so just wondered.
I’m trying to keep my finances as neat as possible while going after the bonus offer J

Sort of on topic but not really – I got the credit card with the 60k offer. This will not be our primary credit card and I’m solely using it right now to get the 60k miles. That said, I’m pretty sure I know the answer but wanted others opinions – can I use my card and automatically make a payment to cover it… which may make my statement $0 each month (or perhaps close to it, some may not post exactly the same time). Will I still get my bonus points, as I’ve used the card for $2k worth of purchases? I’m thinking this will work but it’s been a while since I’ve done bonus offers so just wondered.
I’m trying to keep my finances as neat as possible while going after the bonus offer J
Yes! You don't want to pay interest on a balance or that defeats the purpose.

I have another question relating to this - I had already had the SW CC for years, but it has been well over 24 months since I received the bonus offer previously. I closed my account on 8/29 (specifically to reapply for the plus and premiere card to go after the SW CP).

I have read that you need to wait at least 30 days from closing to open/apply for the same SW CC to receive the bonus again. Is that everyone else's experiences? So I would need to wait until 9/29 to apply again (or 9/30 to be safe), correct?

Yes. The offer is "allegedly" due to expire on 10/4. If you apply, Secure Message (SM) Chase and specifically ask for the MSR date on your cards (save the message to your computer because they will auto delete in December). If applying today, I'd expect your date to be 1/14/18. Therefore, you'd have from the time your statement closes in December until 1/14 to hit the MSR. There is unfortunately one data point out there (seems to be an anomaly) of Chase posting the bonus points for someone when they were close to the MSR (allegedly about 85%). So, if it were me, I'd spend no more than around $1,500 this year and make your final transactions around the end of December or better yet, the first couple days of January to ensure your bonus points all hit in 2018.
THANK YOU!!!

I have a question about this offer also. I applied and was approved for a Southwest cc in May and got 40,000 bonus points. I want to apply for another so I can get the 60,000 points, but I will still be about 7,000 points short for CP. Is there anything I can do to get those additional 7,000 before the end of the year?

Yes. The offer is "allegedly" due to expire on 10/4. If you apply, Secure Message (SM) Chase and specifically ask for the MSR date on your cards (save the message to your computer because they will auto delete in December). If applying today, I'd expect your date to be 1/14/18. Therefore, you'd have from the time your statement closes in December until 1/14 to hit the MSR. There is unfortunately one data point out there (seems to be an anomaly) of Chase posting the bonus points for someone when they were close to the MSR (allegedly about 85%). So, if it were me, I'd spend no more than around $1,500 this year and make your final transactions around the end of December or better yet, the first couple days of January to ensure your bonus points all hit in 2018.

Just quoted this for emphasis. Every data point I've read suggests:

1. When you receive your card(s), send secure message(s) to Chase to ask and confirm the date by which you have to hit the minimum spending requirement on your card(s). And save or screenshot Chase's reply so you have it in writing in case you have to dispute anything. By now, it seems most people are getting dates into January 2018 to hit the minimum spend, but people may still want to wait closer to October 1 (or 4) to apply to give them that extra time into 2018 to meet the spend requirement. Even if you are not approved right away, if you apply by the deadline for the 60k offer, that offer is attached to your timely application.

2. I've seen a lot of suggestions to not get too close to the minimum spend requirement in 2017 in case SW awards your 60k bonus points early. Like @Friendlyadvice2 suggested, I've seen a lot of recommendations to not put more than $1,500 spend on your card(s) in 2017. You'll have to monitor your spending activity and statements to make sure you're not spending too much in 2017 so you can finish off the spend in 2018 and have the bonus count toward a 2018-19 CP.

Perhaps s dumb question, but will visa gift cards or something similar count toward my total I have to spend?

Yes. Chase is generally not known for denying signup bonuses due to buying prepaid gift cards or manufactured spending.

It looks like SW has marked the 60k to end October 1st. Make sure u apply for it on or before then.

h7m4u9bjngnz.png

Question: If I pay something with my SW card through PayPal, does it still give me SW points?

ETA: I have a $2000 plumbing bill. They only do credit cards through PayPal. Does that count for SW points?

So this really works? I have the regular personal card, but have had it for 5 years and haven't opened a new card since then. I can apply for the premier personal and the business? And they'll let me have 3 cards in my name? seems crazy

Question: If I pay something with my SW card through PayPal, does it still give me SW points?

ETA: I have a $2000 plumbing bill. They only do credit cards through PayPal. Does that count for SW points?

Yes. Just make sure the card is selected as primary payment method and not your bank account as Paypal often defaults to.

Edit: REMEMBER TO BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET TOO CLOSE TO THE MINIMUM SPEND UNTIL YOU'RE SURE THE POINTS WILL HIT IN 2018 (i.e. don't pay that whole bill with one card, maybe split it between the two cards)

Last edited:
So this really works? I have the regular personal card, but have had it for 5 years and haven't opened a new card since then. I can apply for the premier personal and the business? And they'll let me have 3 cards in my name? seems crazy

Ignoring all other variables of your specific credit equation, yes, you can hold all 3 cards at one time. I've held the 3 of them at various times in the past.

I'd love to get an opinion on my specific situation if anyone doesn't mind. I currently have the Southwest Plus card (opened in May, before I knew about companion pass) and received 40,000 points. I just applied and was approved for the premier with the 60,000 bonus offer. I would still be a little over 7,000 points short this year on reaching companion pass. I realize I did not time this right with the original card.

Should I try to meet the minimum spend on the new card before the end of the year and also try to earn another 7,000 points? I realize that even if I can accomplish this, I will only have companion pass for one year.
Should I wait to meet the minimum spend in Jan 2018, then maybe cancel my first card and reapply? Offer then might only be 40,000 but I'd have more time to reach enough points to get companion. I would be paying the annual fee again though. For what it's worth, I have two trips planned for 2018...May and December.

Any insight is appreciated!

UGH!!! I totally forgot to refer my husband before applying for his cards!! I lost out on 20,000 points :crazy2:

Friendlyadvice2, thanks for the reminder about not spending too much yet!

ETA: Just noticed that the friend referral only gives the new cardholder 40,000 points so wouldn't have used it anyway. I feel better :)

Last edited:
Also, I saw on a webpage about SW Companion Pass tricks that it's good to apply for both cards the same day because it will only count as 1 credit pull instead of 2. Not sure about that but supposedly it's better for your credit score.

So if our plan is to do this and then in 2 years for my husband to open up 2 cards - do I need these cards to be in my name only - or can he still be listed as an authorized user on them?

So if our plan is to do this and then in 2 years for my husband to open up 2 cards - do I need these cards to be in my name only - or can he still be listed as an authorized user on them?

Get the cards in your name only. His turn in two years. I'm not a fan of authorized users.....if one wants the card, they should get it on their own and get their own bonus as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter