I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is familiar with DELTA SKYMILES and their Gold AMERICAN EXPRESS?

This is turning into a funny waste of time, but I will see what else...

I currently have 79,328 miles. I have been flipping back and forth on our summer trip and at the moment have decided to go overseas x 4 people. So I figure, why not try and get more miles since I prefer Delta/Korean Air for these trips.

So in an attempt to spend some money today:

* Mortgage company doesn't take credit cards (which I knew but double checked)
** Both financed vehicles company doesn't take credit cards
*** Home Depot account I was going to pay off within next four months before end of promotional period so I figure I would just pay that off today... but they don't take credit cards.
**** Decided to pay off my medical premium for the rest of the year. We only paid first quarter, so I called them thinking surely they would take a credit card. I normally pay over the automated system, it ask for a credit card number (great right), so I plug in the CC number and I get a message "we are no longer taking American Express!" LOL This is hilarious!
***** Verizon, it looks like I overpaid last month and have a $133 credit, but what the heck, I put $500 more on my Verizon account just because... so I can at least see if I earn any points. My luck... probably not an eligible purchase.

Hilarious so far!

Sure, I can pay my auto insurance and life insurance premiums off for the year, "if" I wanted to. But I would rather put the money I have to do this towards an account that has an interest rate, so I also get that account paid down. I could overpay on my utilities, cable bill, or maybe even netflix account, but again, all accounts with no interest.

- I will go pay for our storage unit today for the month. Last month they refused to let my DH pay two months. Their only option is monthly or yearly and we are hoping to only have it a few more months.

I figure I am wasting my time for accounts with very few extra airline points. I have had this card for years, and the balance is currently paid off completely. I don't have a minimum spend limit either.

I don't want to go out and buy useless things... although last month I bought a new media center and tables from Pier1, wish I had used the AmEx but was still in the mindset of "do not use any credit cards for any reason" at that time. I am still not keen on using the card, but since I am watching Delta Flights, I figure if its something I was going to pay for anyways... might as well try it. (Really, I have just been on this thread reading too much, ya'll are a bad influence. I will bold this for fun!)

Also, website says points can take 6-8 weeks to show and I probably will want to purchase the tickets soon (watching prices now).

So just looking for maybe ideas I haven't thought of for immediate ways to pay off accounts (preferably the interest ones). Both DD and DS need new glasses, so there is that. VisionWorks that the BOGO recently so not sure if that is still going on.

Can you buy just Visa giftcards and get points? Then I can use that to pay off the Home Depot account? I tried looking on the website for what purchases count and it wasn't very clear to me. Oh and we stocked up on groceries this month as well.

ETA: Just saw a Culligan bill as I was going to grab my keys to go to storage unit. So that's $259 more. One of the few accounts we don't pay online through my bank (the other is the lawn/pest company).

Total put on the card today: $759.
If it's 1 mile per $1, then I will have 80,087 in miles. Hopefully, extra miles show up before I need to book my tickets.

Last edited:
So in an attempt to spend some money today:

*** Home Depot account I was going to pay off within next four months before end of promotional period so I figure I would just pay that off today... but they don't take credit cards.
**** Decided to pay off my medical premium for the rest of the year. We only paid first quarter, so I called them thinking surely they would take a credit card. I normally pay over the automated system, it ask for a credit card number (great right), so I plug in the CC number and I get a message "we are no longer taking American Express!" LOL This is hilarious!
***** Verizon, it looks like I overpaid last month and have a $133 credit, but what the heck, I put $500 more on my Verizon account just because... so I can at least see if I earn any points. My luck... probably not an eligible purchase.

Hilarious so far!

Sure, I can pay my auto insurance and life insurance premiums off for the year, "if" I wanted to. But I would rather put the money I have to do this towards an account that has an interest rate, so I also get that account paid down. I could overpay on my utilities, cable bill, or maybe even netflix account, but again, all accounts with no interest.

- I will go pay for our storage unit today for the month. Last month they refused to let my DH pay two months. Their only option is monthly or yearly and we are hoping to only have it a few more months.

I figure I am wasting my time for accounts with very few extra airline points. I have had this card for years, and the balance is currently paid off completely. I don't have a minimum spend limit either.

I don't want to go out and buy useless things... although last month I bought a new media center and tables from Pier1, wish I had used the AmEx but was still in the mindset of "do not use any credit cards for any reason" at that time. I am still not keen on using the card, but since I am watching Delta Flights, I figure if its something I was going to pay for anyways... might as well try it. (Really, I have just been on this thread reading too much, ya'll are a bad influence. I will bold this for fun!)

Also, website says points can take 6-8 weeks to show and I probably will want to purchase the tickets soon (watching prices now).

So just looking for maybe ideas I haven't thought of for immediate ways to pay off accounts (preferably the interest ones). Both DD and DS need new glasses, so there is that. VisionWorks that the BOGO recently so not sure if that is still going on.

Can you buy just Visa giftcards and get points? Then I can use that to pay off the Home Depot account? I tried looking on the website for what purchases count and it wasn't very clear to me. Oh and we stocked up on groceries this month as well.

you can try, but many places code those visa gc as a credit card style. I think your best option is to play with plastiq. it does carry a 2.5% fee but it basically sends a check to whoever ur paying.
Mortgage may be a tough one to pay as Amex cards have put a restriction on mortgage payment. You best bet is to toy with the name and the address and see if that is accepted. would send test payments to see. @vanjust14 or @wendow have this work around working. They should be able to provide more insight.
Financed vehicles company might also be tough to pay with amex. You should try a mastercard and what not... a lot of testing for u to do!

bad influence ehh? Your welcome... :]

Ok, fellow DISers. I need some advice. I *really* want to get into 2-player mode with this whole miles/points/churning thing, BUT my husband is a stay-at-home dad. He is under 5/24 with Chase, and I'd really like to have him apply for a CSR using my referral link. If I can get him approved, then I'd like to do the same with CFU and CF for those bonuses/referrals. Our household income is sufficient for a credit approval based on my pretty successful track record of getting new cards approved based on my income. What do you all suggest in terms of how I fill out the app for a stay-at-home dad so that the app is accurate but ends up in the most favorable light for an approval for him? Thanks!

Last edited:
Ok, fellow DISers. I need some advice. I *really* want to get into 2-player mode with this whole miles/points/churning thing, BUT my husband is a stay-at-home dad. He is under 5/24 with Chase, and I'd really like to have him apply for a CSR using my referral link. If I can get him approved, then I'd like to do the same with CFU and CF for those bonuses/referrals. Our household income is sufficient for a credit approval based on my pretty successful track record of getting new cards approved based on my income. What do you all suggest in terms of how I fill out the app for a stay-at-home dad so that the app is accurate but ends up in the most favorable light for an approval for him? Thanks!

you should be fine in the application. i did my mom's app for a citi card, shes a stay at home mom, used dad's income and it worked out fine. If your gonna apply for the CSR, i would hit CSP as well. Then wait at least 3-4 months based off the flyertalk thread i was reading last night before applying for another chase card. It seems like a lot of shut downs there for quick apps(within 3 months). but we dont know the actual rule there.

you can try, but many places code those visa gc as a credit card style. I think your best option is to play with plastiq. it does carry a 2.5% fee but it basically sends a check to whoever ur paying.
Mortgage may be a tough one to pay as Amex cards have put a restriction on mortgage payment. You best bet is to toy with the name and the address and see if that is accepted. would send test payments to see. @vanjust14 or @wendow have this work around working. They should be able to provide more insight.
Financed vehicles company might also be tough to pay with amex. You should try a mastercard and what not... a lot of testing for u to do!

bad influence ehh? Your welcome... :]

As @Albort mentioned, you could try to pay your mortgage with Plastiq. If your mortgage company is Mr. Cooper you should be fine. If you have Provident Funding, I can provide you with a way to address it so it gets through. Other than those, you will have to play around with the wording to see if you can get the payment to go through. I was able to use Attn: Cashier as the first line and Provident on the second line. You might be able to try something similar. @Lain has a great write up on our Dischurners group on reddit for tips on paying through Plastiq also.

Who is familiar with DELTA SKYMILES and their Gold AMERICAN EXPRESS?

Not I, but a couple things to think about on your quest

Can you buy just Visa giftcards and get points? Then I can use that to pay off the Home Depot account?

Since Home Depot doesn't take credit cards to pay the account, the Visa gift cards would only work if they accept Debit cards. Not having a Home Depot account I'm not familiar with if they take payments in store, but that'd be the only thing I can think of to go that route is to try debit in store. Other than Plastiq and finding a promo for free fee money so you're not paying the transaction fee OOP.

While I'm a huge fan of not spending money until absolutely needed so that I get the interest, realistically you should look at the which would provide you the better value. I don't have the info on the value of an award point in this situation, but for an example: say I can earn $250 in interest keeping that money in the account until the last minute but if I spend it now I get enough rewards points for an equivalent $500 that I don't have to pay OOP. That puts me ahead in the grand scheme of things. I do this for things that I know for sure I'd be spending money on regardless, I ask "is it better to pay OOP or use that money to get points for a better reward later?"

ETA: I realized as I hit Post that I misread the statement. And I totally agree with you @NinaBella that if you are paying interest on something, that gets first attention. And so I was going to nix the whole point, but I thought I'd leave it out there in case it helps someone else.

Yes, for AmEx regular points post on a delay. So points earned on Jan statement will post and are available in Feb. AmEx offer points that post instantly are available instantly for use.

As @Albort mentioned, you could try to pay your mortgage with Plastiq. If your mortgage company is Mr. Cooper you should be fine. If you have Provident Funding, I can provide you with a way to address it so it gets through. Other than those, you will have to play around with the wording to see if you can get the payment to go through. I was able to use Attn: Cashier as the first line and Provident on the second line. You might be able to try something similar. @Lain has a great write up on our Dischurners group on reddit for tips on paying through Plastiq also.

I have PennyMac and they only ask for routing and checking number.

Not really interested in playing around or trying workarounds. I'll just accept they don't accept credit cards. This was really going to be a one month thing, not future payments on a credit card. All my February bills are paid, so anything I pay will be future credit.

I just got back from storage unit so that's another $144.18 spent.

Sometimes folks here mention things I didn't think of, but going through my list of bills, I think I am done. LOL.

Wait, but I can't PC the CSP to a Freedom when I already have a Freedom right?

You can. DH has 2 Freedom cards. He PCd his CSP to a second Freedom after getting the CSR.

Yes, I *love* the AARP discount. I've used it a number of times. My problem is that I would love to figure out how to get the AARP discount and still be able to book directly through AMEX to get my 5x MR. I have the business platinum so I have to book directly through the amex site. PITA and the one thing I don't like at the business version of the card. The 50% miles back WERE fabulous. 35% less so.

I cancelled my Amex Biz Plat card after my grace period of getting 50% MR back was over and the AF hit. DH will keep his so we can still get 35% when it’s convenient. We were able to use that 50% back benefit 3 times while it lasted.

I believe if you use an an Amex personal Plat card to pay for the airfare with the AARP discount you can stack the points earned and savings since you don’t need to call Amex travel.

I am a sahm and I have more cards than my dh lol. I just lost my occupation as a homemaker and use household income.

I just updated from the Delta Amex Gold to Platinum. Min spend is $1,000 in 3 months so that is an easy one to meet. 15,000 miles is all I will get with the upgrade. For the dates I am interested in, international points are 99,000 to 115,0000 right now. Delta says I can get 5,000 advance points. Just trying to see if I can earn enough for a free international flight. If I can't do it by the time I need to book our trip, we also have a trip to Michigan planned in December. Typically we fly Southwest to Michigan.

Just checked Southwest and I had used up a lot of our points for our trip to Las Vegas, but it says I have 8,000 points there. I also no longer use that card and it has a zero balance.

I cancelled my Amex Biz Plat card after my grace period of getting 50% MR back was over and the AF hit. DH will keep his so we can still get 35% when it’s convenient. We were able to use that 50% back benefit 3 times while it lasted.

I believe if you use an an Amex personal Plat card to pay for the airfare with the AARP discount you can stack the points earned and savings since you don’t need to call Amex travel.

I did the opposite direction. I cancelled my personal and then got the business to take advantage of 2x 100,000 bonuses. I was able to use the 50% back benefit a bunch of times, too. It was awesome.

And yes, that's the one big benefit of the personal over the business. I think I'm going to have DH do the opposite direction (business first and then personal) so when all is said and done he has the personal. That way we can take advantage of the 5x miles with the AARP discount.

I need some advice on a plan going forward for the next year... you guys have been so helpful answering my many questions, so I hope you can bear with me!

My cards:
1. CSP in 9/17 which I added DH on as an authorized user (because, yay, more points! right? oops.)
2. Chase Freedom in 10/17 which I also added DH on as an authorized user.
3. Marriott Business in 1/18.

Vacation plans:
1. Big family Disney trip in Fall 2019. Would like to cover as much as possible with UR points since DH and I are planning to pay for on property hotel and tickets in full, and as much dining as we can muster.
2. Japan in 2020 for the Summer Olympics.

My Marriott Business card should be here today and I should be able to meet the MSR on that fairly quickly (a month to six weeks). After that, I want DH to get the CIP, and then refer me for it after we meet the MSR on the first one.

I was initially afraid to get the CSR because of the high annual fee, even though I know we get the $300 travel credit. However, I am realizing that the best bang for my buck in redeeming UR points for Disney will be to book with the CSR. So now I'm wondering if/when I should get DH to get a CSR? Obviously, I will need to remove him from the CSP as an authorized user to do this. When is the best time to remove him in order for him to apply for this? Towards the end of the year? Do I keep my CSP after we get CSR, or cancel it?

Lot of questions, I know, but I would love to get a roadmap from the experts here on how best to navigate the remaining Chase cards!

ETA: DH and I are both under 5/24, and would be even with getting CSR and CIP.

So, first

1. Remove DH as an AU on the CSP and Freedom (“CF”). Allow a few days to a month, then check DH’s credit report to see that the accounts are gone. If they are still there, submit a dispute with Experian, Equifax, and Transunion. https://www.doctorofcredit.com/removing-authorized-user-accounts-credit-report/

AU accounts will appear on DH’s credit report, and because DH was added to these two accounts within the past 24 months, Chase will automatically count these two accounts against DH’s */24. If these accounts push DH to or over 5/24, Chase will automatically decline him for any cards subject to the 5/24 rule. https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chas...detail-need-know/#What_Cards_Does_This_Affect

2. Before you product change your CSP, you should, possibly, take the opportunity to refer DH for his own CSP if he decides to double dip the CSR+CSP. That’s another 10k UR for the referral! (See #5 below.)

After you’ve had your CSP for 1 year, call the number on the back of the card to ask they product change the CSP to either a CFU or CF. Both are no AF cards. Whether you want a CFU or CF depends on whether you want the CFU for a straight 1.5x UR on everything or another CF if you find yourself maxing out the category limit ($1,500 or 7,500 UR) on the CF you already have. If you have 2 CFs, you could potentially earn 15k UR/quarter. You could also product change between CF and CFU if your needs change. (Keep in mind that if DH also goes for CSP, he may want to downgrade that card after the first year too, so think of what mix of no AF cards you’d want in your wallets.)

The easiest way to amassing UR points is to hit Chase’s UR-earning cards with big signup bonuses, using referrals when you can, and maximizing the bonus categories of the cards you have or can product change to.

3. CIP = 80k UR. DH should get the CIP for the 80k UR bonus. Please support a fellow DISchurner if possible! I remember DH has an eBay/Amazon side hustle, so use that. As you know, the CIP has the biggest current bonus available amongst UR-earning cards, with 80k UR after spending $5k/3 months. That could keep you busy for a few months.

I love the CIP because it earns 3x UR on so many things, including internet and cell phone bills (and if you pay your cell phone bill with the CIP, the card offers insurance on that phone); eBay seller fees; shipping through USPS/UPS/FedEx (but not PayPal Shipping); Venmo; gift card websites, apps, and platforms like Gyft and Swych (via PayPal checkout), and Cashstar; and Plastiq for things like rent, utilities, tuition, student loans, and YMMV with mortgages and car payments. If you decide to use Plastiq, please support a fellow DISchurner. Not only does the CIP’s bonus categories cover a broad range of payments that makes it easy to put those kinds of expenses on the card to meet MSR, but if you keep paying those types of expenses with the CIP then it becomes a really fast UR earner!

4. 2nd CIP = 80k+20k UR. When DH is done with his CIP’s MSR, he should refer your horse braiding or eBay business for the CIP, which means 20k UR to him and 80k UR for you. By then, it should have been several months since your Marriott Biz approval, and hopefully that’s slow enough for Chase.

After the first year on either DH’s or your CIP, PC one of the CIPs to a Chase Ink Cash (“CIC”), which has no AF, and earns 5x UR on gift card apps like Gyft and Swych, and at office supply stores that sell third-party and Visa gift cards.

5. CSR+CSP = 50k+50k+10k UR. When you and DH are able to handle the MSR, DH should go for the CSR, but also double dip the CSP at the same time. If you can support a fellow DISchurner by using their link for CSR, great! But if DH is double dipping, hold off on product changing your CSP until you can refer DH for his CSP when he applies. This will net another 10k UR to you. Of course, double dipping means taking on two MSR at the same time, for a combined $8k/3 months, but this is the only way to get around Chase’s new rules to get signup bonuses for both the CSR and CSP, for a total of 100k UR.

You won’t be able to get the CSR because under Chase’s new rules, you can’t have more than one Sapphire product at a time (the “one Sapphire” rule) and you can’t get more than one signup bonus from a Sapphire card within 24 months. Since you have a CSP, you can’t get the CSR. Even if you PC the CSP to a CF or CFU, you can’t get the bonus for the CSR because you got a bonus for the CSP within the last 24 months. You’d have to wait til sometime after 9/19 (24 months after when your CSP bonus posted) to get the CSR bonus.

It looks like you’re planning on using the UR towards a Disney trip in Fall 2019, so you have some time to get through the spends on the above cards and won’t need the CSR in hand to make any UR redemptions until early next year. DH should get and keep the CSR, despite the fee, because it makes your UR points 50% more valuable (compared to just 25% more through the CSP and CIP).

That’s 290k UR from signup bonuses and referrals, and over 300k UR counting in MSRs! With the CSR, that’s worth over $4,500 in travel redemption through the UR portal.

6. CIC = 30k UR? Your DH could consider squeezing in one more Chase business card for its signup bonus. I suggested downgrading one of your CIPs to the CIC above, but the CIC also has a 30k UR signup bonus that might be worth going after.

It seems like from stories, Chase is pretty willing to give out 2-3 business cards before things start getting shaky. So you can decide if the CIC is worth it over Chase’s other business cards that are subject to 5/24.

By the end of the above, DH and you will have had all of Chase’s major UR-earning cards in your wallets: CSP, CSR, CIP, CF, and product changes to CF/CFU and CIC. DW and I haven't signed up for any new UR-earning cards in months, but travel and dining on our CSRs; maxing out the 5x categories on our CF; taking advantage of Chase UR promos, for example 10x UR with Chase Pay; and putting whatever else we can on the CIP through Plastiq makes for a nice ongoing stream of UR points. I know others really take advantage of the 5x UR earned on the CIC (and no longer available Chase Ink Plus) by buying gift cards on Gyft and Swych (via PayPal checkout), and office supply stores to retailers and restaurants they planned to spend money at anyway but would’ve earned <5x otherwise. Some people use the CIC and Ink+ to buy Visa gift cards when Office Depot/Office Max or Staples has them on sale or offers a rebate, earn 5x UR on the purchase, then liquidate the VCG by buying a money order (getting harder to do; don't deposit back into Chase), or using the VCG at another store that might otherwise earn them only 1x. Think creatively about maximizing the bonus categories to keep those points coming in.

It looks like you’ll also want to use some of your */24 spots for Marriott cards. Other popular targets are the Southwest cards for the Companion Pass, and United if you’re near one of their hubs.

At some point, you’ll have to decide whether you want to stay under 5/24 to keep hitting and churning Chase cards, perhaps keeping one partner under 5/24; or if you’re going to take advantage of other cards from Chase and other issuers 5/24 be damned.

For example, Chase also offers IHG and Hyatt cards, which are not subject to 5/24, that could be used for hotels in Japan. And you can get some great redemption value from Amex’s Membership Rewards points on ANA flights to Japan.

As for Japan, that’s a whole ‘nother post. Isn’t @calypso726 planning a stopover in Japan soonish?

Last edited:
How long does it take for CSR referral points to show up? I referred someone and they were approved, but I don't see anything pending. Is it after MSR?

Do you all keep track of how much you have earned in free travel? I just decided to add mine up, is there a way to see all of your past redemptions? I could see approximately the last 2 months, and I think I could see all of the Travel that I used the UR portal directly with. We just started this last year, I got the Sapphire Preferred in April 2016 and the Sapphire Reserve in November 2016, but I don't think I used any of the URs until May of 2017. We did have the Freedom prior to those so had some points already, but I had cashed out some for just plain cash at times. :sad2: Anyway, I am 95% sure I am accounting for all my usage and in the last 9 months we have gotten $7,344.41 in free travel! This includes 14 hotel nights, 2 rental cars and 12 roundtrip flights. That was using a combination of 124,928 in SWRR points (+companion pass) and 258,089 in UR points. Most have been directly with SW (2.2) or with the Chase portal for (1.5). My best redemption is transferring to hyatt with cash value of $1039 for 24,000 points for a value of 4.3. I know I am nowhere near some of you, but I thought it was fun to see. I will keep track from now on in my spreadsheet.

Last edited:
Do you all keep track of how much you have earned in free travel? My best redemption is transferring to hyatt with cash value of $1039 for 24,000 points for a value of 4.3. I know I am nowhere near some of you, but I thought it was fun to see. I will keep track from now on in my spreadsheet.
Curious, what Hyatt did you go to?

I see Disney tix and APs are set to increase. We were going to get APs later this year as ours have expired. Anyone have any tips on the best way to optimize that purchase?

Basically I would need discounted diney GCs by Saturday I think it is. Let me think....please help me think :) :scratchin
- I usually get them at Sams (but i don't have to)
- No costcos nearby
- I have CIP, CIC, both preferreds and freedom. Spg and mariott too but don't think those would help much. Any of those work for a good category bonus...
-CIC 5x at office stores, do they sell disney GCs, or walmart that would be even better but unlikely...hmmm...
-CSR, no gift cards, buy straight from disney with csr and it will code 3x for travel?
- Freedom...wonder if they do samsung pay at Sam's. Then I'd get 5x for that right? Or do gcs not count.
- ETA...were working on MS's for mariott and dh's personal SPG right now, we should be MS without this though.

Sorry for the rambling, I'm not new to saving money, but new to doing that by optimizing cc points and offers...any shove in the rignt direction is much appreciated.

Do you all keep track of how much you have earned in free travel? I just decided to add mine up, is there a way to see all of your past redemptions? I could see approximately the last 2 months, and I think I could see all of the Travel that I used the UR portal directly with. We just started this last year, I got the Sapphire Preferred in April 2016 and the Sapphire Reserve in November 2016, but I don't think I used any of the URs until May of 2017. We did have the Freedom prior to those so had some points already, but I had cashed out some for just plain cash at times. :sad2: Anyway, I am 95% sure I am accounting for all my usage and in the last 9 months we have gotten $7,344.41 in free travel! This includes 14 hotel nights, 2 rental cars and 12 roundtrip flights. That was using a combination of 124,928 in SWRR points (+companion pass) and 258,089 in UR points. Most have been directly with SW (2.2) or with the portal for (1.5). My best redemption is transferring to hyatt with cash value of $1039 for 24,000 points for a value of 4.3. I know I am nowhere near some of you, but I thought it was fun to see. I will keep track from now on in my spreadsheet.

i keep track of my total points x worth to see how much i have worth on my spreadsheet. I dont have the reversal though, it should be pretty easy to create for me. I have around $16,850 worth in travel, but im using TPG's point value which many people told me its high. like UR are worth 2.1 cents to TPG.

Curious, what Hyatt did you go to?

We haven't been yet. Leave in 2 weeks. It is a Hyatt Place in Ft. Meyers, Fl area. I think it may have been slightly cheaper when I reserved it, but I didn't write the price down. That is the price I was quoted online today so going with that. It is for 3 nights and the points are 8,000/night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter