I love credit cards so much!

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by FairestOfThemAll37, Jul 18, 2016.

1. mmmears

mmmears DIS Veteran

I love cashmere and used the sale plus the AMEX deal to order one for me. I like it, but it's brand new so I can't say it will wear well or anything.

Yeah, not really worth your trouble. I'm sorry. On the plus side, while I hate Vegas I have stayed at the Aria and the room was really nice. And the shower was hot.

They did? LOL well then they didn't do a great job. DH and I much prefer our AMEX card to the CSR. Oh well. And yes, the whole concept of the sapphire accounts (credit and bank) screams of someone trying hard to lure people in with the idea that it's "exclusive." I encountered one on our cruise group who kept name dropping the CSR in an attempt to brag about himself. :rolleyes1

Judique, PolyRob, wendow and 5 others like this.
  2. LuckyMamaInDE

LuckyMamaInDE DIS Veteran

Supposedly the costco here in DE will be getting gas sometime in 2019. I cannot wait!

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. amalone1013

amalone1013 DIS Veteran

That's so crazy.

disneymagicgirl and tink1970 like this.
  5. StephPlum

StephPlum Mouseketeer

Chiming in on the utilities pre-pays. My electric takes CC and only charges a flat $1.85 fee regardless of the amount. That is a great deal. But they only allow you to charge the bill amount. You can not go over. So no prepaying for me.

On natural gas, no credit card allowed.

Thinking of prepaying the cell phone bill as I have an AMEX offer that expires end of Dec giving me 10% off up to 40 on any cell phone service. But have a question on the CIP before I make this call. For those of you with a CIP and use to pay your phone bill for the insurance, how does that work with the family? Is immediate family covered or do they need to be "employees"? Also do you need to pay for a certain amount of time before insurance would kick in (ie what stops someone from having an issue with the phone and then just charging one month on the CIP and making a claim)? DS has had all sorts of issues with his phone and is getting a new one in December but trying to decide if I 1) keep my CIP to pay the bill for insurance or 2) buy the insurance from Verizon.

6. tink1970

tink1970 DCL Platinum

The weight thing makes me laugh! TPG did an article and the heaviest (which I knew) was Chase's own R-C. SMH...

I have to admit if I had a Centurion card, I'd be pretty excited to share that...but probably not with strangers on a cruise :rolleyes:

7. LynnTH

LynnTH DIS Veteran

I just found a Venture yesterday that I did for 75K /5k (after getting the 7-10 day message on CIP). I too have some tuition to pay and needed something ASAP. So, going to chill with Chase for a bit. I was got instant approval with $30,000 credit limit. Now waiting on the card...

8. amalone1013

amalone1013 DIS Veteran

Vegas talk has reminded me, if you are an Mlife member you can link your SW account and get 600 RRs per stay. You can also email them at memberservices@mgmresorts.com to get them for any stay in the last... 6 months? I think it is. It says on the site somewhere when you're logged in. I can't seem to get my RR number to link, but I did request points for a stay back in April in October, got a response within 10 minutes, and points showed up in 2 days. I had to send the hotel, dates I stayed, confirmation number, Mlife member number, and RR account number.

9. havaneselover

havaneselover Dreaming about a Disney cruise

Anyone have a good hotel for a somewhat small conference (maybe 75-100 attendees in Orlando)? I'm thinking Bonnet Creek. I like the look of the Waldorf. Something nice but under $300/night (closer to $200 would be ideal).

Judique likes this.
  10. gottalovepluto

gottalovepluto DIS Veteran

I remember this article from before I really got into the points game (I really didn’t jump in until Jan 2017 but the CSR is what got me really started). I thought I’d read something about them studying the best weight for the card but I don’t see that here. A blogger pointed out the weight releases dopamine for them when they use it and I believe it. Chase doesn’t spend all that extra money on the metal card for grins.

The CSR was literally a game changer. A look-back on the craze 1 month after the card was released for anyone who wasn’t in the game back then: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...made-the-perfect-high-for-credit-card-junkies

11. gottalovepluto

gottalovepluto DIS Veteran

It was so great when we got gas at our Costco! Brought down the ridiculous prices in town and even now Costco is the cheapest in town by far- before the 4% back on the Costco credit card!

LuckyMamaInDE and wendow like this.
  12. wendow

wendow We create happiness.

platamama, mmmears and gottalovepluto like this.
  13. wendow

wendow We create happiness.

My dh has a conference in March at the Rosen Shingle Creek. I think the room rates are under $200. I think the resort has facilities for bigger and smaller conferences. Never been there though so I really only know what I am seeing and reading online.

havaneselover likes this.
  14. afan

afan DIS Veteran

We're finally to the point that Costco is down to 2.99 a gallon. I would be happy with 2.70 before fuel points. We were up yo almost 3.50 this summer. Partly super high gas taxes but it still sucks.

wendow likes this.
  15. Albort

Albort ODV Crew

U can also status match with Wyndam --> TR with Marriott status and get some free comp nights in vegas.

amalone1013 likes this.
  16. kmc8826

kmc8826 DIS Veteran

I would wait and do the Chase first and then do the Arrival. I think the offer as it is now should be here a bit. One advantage I think over the Arrival over the Venture is the mastercard and ability to use for mortgages or promotions with Plastiq. I have a Capital One Quicksilver downgraded from the Venture and also the Arrival again. I like dealing with Capital One a lot better than Barclays. Right now I have a negative balance on my Quicksilver because there was a promotion to use contact less payment 3 times a month and get a $10 credit for October through December. I have just been using it at the vending machine at work. Free diet coke!

I got one to my email and so did DH. Did you read it? You have to deposit $75,000! If I had that much money to just deposit I don't think I would care about 60,000 UR's!

17. DisneyMandC

DisneyMandC DIS Veteran

I wish my Costco had all these low gas prices you guys are talking about. They might be 5 cents cheaper a gallon, but that's it. I rarely fill up there, unless I just happen to be super low when I get there. I come out ahead filling up at Kroger.

Though I can't complain too much. Gas at the station next to my work was $1.95/gallon this morning :)

18. amalone1013

amalone1013 DIS Veteran

That doesn't surprise me, I'd never seen the actual numbers here. This is crazy too! DH is on the brink of landing at a big sales job, and maybe a chain of them, soooo we might be here for awhile.
    I'll have to look into that! With my fancy new (probably only time ever) Platinum status.

miztressuz and wendow like this.
  19. amalone1013

amalone1013 DIS Veteran

Our Sam's/Costco prices are only every 5 to 15 cents less than Kroger, so also not worth it for us to go out of our way vs fuel points. my kroger is $2.23 for regular today. I do have 3 more of the $10 off $20 at Exxon with Google or Samsung Pay amex offers to use though.

20. PolyRob

PolyRob DIS Veteran

Yup! And if you don't keep the balance, $25 fee a month (again, probably not major with $75,000 liquid). 60,000 UR = $900 with CSR?

The $500 Chase offer seems more feasible for the masses IMO

kmc8826, tink1970 and wendow like this.
  21. LilSweetPeaPhoto

LilSweetPeaPhoto Mouseketeer

I took a bump on Delta flight last month. Got me a $1000 amex card. Since I'm trying to do all my spending through my CC's I'm trying to figure out the best way to use this $1000 amex gift card, it expires in June. Can I use the Amex card to buy other giftcards? Can you transfer paypal giftcards to paypal accounts and therefore "cash" the money? Or can I use the card in something like Venmo/Paypal to send money to my ex? We often owe each other for various bills and use paypal/venmo to settle up with each other, so I wouldn't be running a scam.

If I can use an Amex giftcard on Venmo, then I actually could pay my son's ice bill!

wanderlust7 and Lain like this.