I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The SPG 125K bonus and free night could get you three nights at the Swan or Dolphin and the $300 credit could offset meals while there. Or, it could be stretched even further at most of the offsite options in the SPG/Marriott family. The points can also be transferred to airlines but I've never got into that as I don't fly much. The free night won't come until your anniversary of having the card so this idea might be better as a 2020 redemption as we are in the last quarter of the year. But looking at 50K redemptions, you can go far with that. Maybe New York or any other city and there are also loads of out of the country hotel ideas. The points are good at Marriott and SPG properties since the programs have combined. After you are 5/24, you could look at the Marriott card options that Chase has and get more 'Starriott' points, if you needed them. I don't think they fall under 5/24. Just an FYI - 50K is one of the higher priced options - there are many redemptions starting as low as 7500 points.

Whoa, this is chock-full of great information. We've stayed at the Sheraton Vistana Resort, so I'm guessing that may stretch into more nights than the SWOLPHIN.
It's hard for me to wrap my mind around that this is all granted for spending what I normally do already.
Should my wife, since she's at 1/24, finish out our Chase plan, CIC, CFU, CF, and CSR, while I explore other programs?
Thanks so much!

@Oscar Madison - Totally agree with @Judique about redemption options for the points, free night certificate, and Marriott credit you get from the SPG Lux.

One warning though. If you’ve gotten any of Chase’s Marriott cards or their bonuses in the last two years, you might not be eligible for the SPG Lux or Amex’s other SPG cards. Conversely, if you get the SPG Lux, you’ll still be eligible for Amex’s other SPG cards, but likely will be shut out of Chase’s Marriott cards. There’s more to this rule, so if the Marriott/SPG cards are something you’re interested in, we can look into it in more detail.

Last edited:
Is that a BOA card? I used Panera yesterday morning and my cash back is being 'processed'. Instead of a check mark it's got a little swirl. And, I had free coffee so only spent about $4.50. Checking on it at home it's a one shot deal. Other offers are cumulative. Oh well, I'll take 45 cents!

It's BoA. It's a cumulative one but I don't eat there that much. This is mostly to see if it works and so I could have a late lunch/early dinner and then just a snack later

FYI it looks like if you do both checking and savings ($15k deposit) with chase bank the total bonus is now $600. Wish I’d waited a few weeks!

I would respectively disagree with this plan (a CIC card now). IF the SW companion pass is the primary goal I wouldn't be putting in a CIC application and hope to get approved for 2 more Chase cards in the next 4 months (including a 2nd biz card). If we were back in July when @Jax1023 last brought this up...I'd be okay with that plan but probably not now.

I would make my next card the SW Business card. We often act as though its expected for Chase to hand us multiple biz cards (and for good reason because they do for most people)...but if for some reason you get denied you can't get your CP now over a wasted CIC application. As long as you manage your spend correctly and hit the MSR in January you should be fine to go for the SW biz in October and pursue a 2019/2020 CP. If you're looking for some guidance on what to avoid with that plan read here: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/9h4yc0/applying_for_southwest_cards_cp_late_in_the_year/ (this is all the issues people have had when pursuing a SW CP).

Also - what is your plan for getting to 110k SW points? The biz card will get you 60k (plus some base depending on how much spend falls in 2019). We all hope the personal cards go up to 50k at some point but what if they don't? Will you just take a 40k and spend your way to 110k? Do you have a SW flight coming up where you can apply in flight?

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

EDIT: I would also say there would be little risk in trying for a CIC then in the new year if you let 3-4 months pass from your SW personal application.

EDIT2: I highly recommend that ANYBODY who is pursuing a 2019/2020 companion pass read that link I posted. It's some GREAT insight into how to properly earn the CP. :)

Yeah I wouldn’t apply for the cic first. Just in case, I’d loose out on the cp

Plan should be 104k points with min spend, plan to use the rr shopping portal or just spend 6k on the card. That’s sadly about 2months of natural spend around here. First flight we’d need it for isn’t till the end of March.

Phew, lot of shopping today. Hit Walgreens and CVS again for me, and for the first time for DH. So we're now up to $150 in gift cards for $90. I did get one other $25 GC at Walgreens yesterday but forgot to link it to DH's account before I did, so I'm just writing that off as part of MSR and spending it when we go in November. The others I'll save for the 2019 trip.

Also went to Target, but I used my Redcard there since it had the extra 10% off. $154 not going to MSR, but I got some great deals including a new king sized comforter for our bed for $32!

I know @miztressuz gave you an excellent explanation. I'm going to follow up with food for thought on the three cards for any who are not comfortable going for multiple business cards with Chase, slower paced churners etc. If I were below 5/24 and starting out again I'd be of two minds on choosing which business card with Chase. I'd be torn between the highest sign up bonus and the card I know will earn me the most UR points long term. I am gathering from your post that cash back is more important to you than travel redemption or points that can be transferred to airlines and hotels. Generally, I am the polar opposite but let's assume for a moment that cash was king for me and my only travel is to WDW which I do not need airline tickets for since it is a 3 hour drive.

CIC 5x Office Supply Stores, internet cable phone, 2x gas, dining
CIP 3x Travel, Shipping, internet, cable, phone, advertising social media
CIBU - 1.5x

In a perfect world I would go for the CIP for the higher bonus and PC to the CIC after one year. BUT with the knowledge that Chase eliminated the Chase Ink Plus card which has the same bonus categories I'd be afraid that the CIC's current form may be on the chopping block. If I were more conservative minded and wanted to have a card to keep as a UR earning machine I'd be going for the CIC. The bonus categories would earn me more long term than either CIP or CIBU. I'm going to use a few examples with just my WDW expenses that do not involve flying anywhere so we don't offend the Plane Princess' sensibilities who is known to lurk here from time to time :rolleyes:

DVC annual dues on 1300 points is about $8,000 a year. DCL 3 day over a long weekend cruise $1500. Annual Platinum Plus Passes renewal about $1400 for the 2 of us. Cable, internet, phone $4000 a year give or take. Gas $2,000 a year give or take.

Office supply stores sell Disney gift cards. They also sell gift cards for many other 3rd party merchants so you can wind up earning 5x for much of your everyday shopping by making a quick pit stop at the office supply store.

CIC is going to earn me 78,500 UR points every year with no annual fee
CIP is going to earn me 44,700 in bonus categories with an annual fee of $95 which means I need to subtract that amount to cover the AF so 35,200 UR
CIBU will earn me 25,350 for the same amount of spend.

If I subtract the 35,200 from the 78,500 the CIC's earning potential covers the extra 30,000 UR points that you'd give up for a sign up bonus over the CIP.

I know our WDW expenses are not the norm but I think the example can help others look at their own expenses and spending patterns, what gift cards they may make good use of at the office supply stores and evaluate their choices that way. I hope this helps :flower3:

I really appreciate this analysis bc I'm trying to decide between the CIP purely for the signup bonus amount and the CIC for the way we'd shop at office supply stores (have CSR for the travel) :)

@Oscar Madison - Totally agree with @Judique about redemption options for the points, free night certificate, and Marriott credit you get from the SPG Lux.

One warning though. If you’ve gotten any of Chase’s Marriott cards or their bonuses in the last two years, you might not be eligible for the SPG Lux or Amex’s other SPG cards. Conversely, if you get the SPG Lux, you’ll still be eligible for Amex’s other SPG cards, but likely will be shut out of Chase’s Marriott cards. There’s more to this rule, so if the Marriott/SPG cards are something you’re interested in, we can look into it in more detail.

How quickly I forgot that I only had the 3 day window to sign up! @Oscar Madison - @Lain is correct. I hold both Marriott personal and business and all 3 SPG cards. This is not possible now due to new rules, but you can still get the SPG cards as @Lain said.

The CL has been cut on our CSP. I think it was $10k initially. It was cut down to $1k. We didn’t receive any notification it would be cut down or anything.

FYI it looks like if you do both checking and savings ($15k deposit) with chase bank the total bonus is now $600. Wish I’d waited a few weeks!

I wouldn't worry too much - see below.

have u tried asking chase to match? its worth a shot if the conditions are the same.

I'd be cautious doing that per DoC - The new bonus has restrictions that you can do it every 2 years. The $525 offer still has the one year language so he's encouraging people to do that one while it's still available in case they all get changed. He's not sure if the 2 years will stay with the $600 or spread to all of them.

You guys!! Remember how I've been dying for the Hilton Aspire? And I tried to apply on 8/24 and got the dreaded pop-up? I've been putting some spend on my Amex cards since then and I thawed my credit today, planning to try again tomorrow, and just now I logged onto my Amex account to look for new offers and low and behold, I got an upgrade offer on my regular Amex to Aspire with 150k bonus!!:flower: This is perfect, because I don't really need 3 Hilton cards anyway and I avoid the hard pull/new account. It looks like it went through fine, because they said I'll get my new card in a week. Maybe Amex doesn't hate me after all.:jumping1:
party:

DoC's link didn't work for me, gave me invalid code. So don't feel bad yet.

Since it let me continue the app rather than shutting me down right away I'm taking that as a good sign I may be able to open one online at least now. So trying to decide do I hold out for a $600 code or try the $525 and have done with it.

My husband has the CSP. Can someone tell me how he refers me for it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't he get bonus points for referring? Or has that gone away too LOL.

Received my CSR yesterday (oooh ahhh) and met the spend today after regular shopping and purchasing some doors for the work we're having done on the house :D

Have to decide which card for dh to get next--was settled on the Chase Hyatt until the new Amex PRG rumors hit. He will have $11Kish of reimbursable spending for a non profit and we could use those MR for travel. (no luck getting the 100K plat)

Last night I was messing around on the United site and discovered we could fly from Perth to JFK on United/Singapore/something (thru Hong Kong and/or Singapore) so that was cool. We could fly to Perth, do the cool Western Australia stuff, get to Uluru, go to the Great Barrier Reef, and then leave thru Sydney to EWR on United :)

I may have purchased an Australia travel book from Amazon :rolleyes1

My husband has the CSP. Can someone tell me how he refers me for it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't he get bonus points for referring? Or has that gone away too LOL.
You can try the Chase Refer A Friend website. If that doesn’t work then you should be able to do it via the Chase Mobile app.

The referral will get you 10k URs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter