I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of JAL, I dropped my wife off at the airport for her JAL flight to Tokyo for a week of work abroad. She texts me in outrage at security that JAL doesn't participate in Pre-check, so she had to stand in a long line like a pleb. Then she gets past security, and the Air France/KLM Lounge at SFO was "at capacity" (it's always at f***in "capacity") and not accepting Priority Pass. EPIC FAIL!

I told DW she should've flown United, because United does participate in Pre-check and has easy access to the Amex Centurion Lounge where we've never been denied entry, but she much prefers JAL's product to United's.

We are on our trip to Charleston, paid for via hertz, hilton, southwest points, for my dad's 60th birthday surprise.
It worked, he really was surprised. I even rounded up all the aunts and uncles from out of state and they came for the dinner. My dad is always doing for others and never wants anything in return, so it was great to do something nice for him for once. I ended up getting him a certificate for him and my mom to take a hot air balloon ride. They seemed to be excited.
DH is pres circle at hertz and they gave us a Kia SUV (reserved a 7 passenger) with 30k miles on it. Not too thrilled with that, but at least it was free.
Also no upgrade on our 2 queen room at the hilton garden inn. They are completely booked, they say.
We usually have better luck with upgrades due to his status, but no one was showing the love today. haha. I am home sweet home, so I can look past that and just stop and smell the pluff mud. I have been wanting to move back home since we left and these trips don't help. Poor DH. He knows I will gripe about it incessantly when we get back to Nashville. :rolleyes1

This is only tangentially related to credit cards but while I kill time waiting for my CIP denial letter to arrive, I've been looking into bank account bonuses (thanks @gottalovepluto for the primer on DISchurners). Can someone explain to me how you do it without totally screwing up your personal finance/bill paying schedule? I've been a USAA member forever and everything is set to autopay from one account, so I can't imagine shuffling around $10,000 here and there and having to keep $xxx amount tied up in an account for six months to avoid monthly fees or clawback of the reward. Not to mention changing my direct deposit from work all the time... anyone have personal experience they want to share?

I think I took a step towards a big international redemption that will hopefully get me to a few places including the Maldives in the next couple years! I got a Hilton card! I like that they have more availability for points nights and that they will be opening properties closer to the airport in Maldives and their free weekend night certs. I got the Hilton Ascend (the DISchurner has been messaged :) ). Not necessarily an all time high but 100k Hilton points and the free night cert at my anniversary next year should result in 100k and 1 free night for $190 (2 annual fees). I wanted to get that free night asap so got that clock started! Next year I'll look into picking up the Aspire so I can use the free night cert with that and actually make use of the $250 resort credit. I figure the other night I can pick up with points earned from the bonuses and I'll have some points left for use someplace else.

Nothing is set in stone, I have no solid plans right now, just the outline of one. I'm a solo player here and not sure where life is taking me over the next couple years but darned if I'm letting that stop me from starting to make plans! I have 120k AS miles burning a hole in my pocket for some great international redemptions so my daydreams right now have a trip around the world worked out visiting some amazing places I've never been. Now... Need. More. Points.

Fwiw, this is my 4th Amex since I started in Oct 17. I was concerned about triggering a FR since my last credit line was only awarded at 5k so I did drop a line by 5k and got exactly that back a couple hours later when my Ascend was approved.

CONGRATULATIONS!

:cheer2::banana:party::cool1::thumbsup2:woohoo:

I didn't know about the Hilton Ascend offer. But I'm already at 3 Amex credit cards, so I need to be picky until I can cancel some next year: SPG personal (kind of depends how the 35k cert shakes out and the SPG Luxury card) and Hilton biz?

Speaking of JAL, I dropped my wife off at the airport for her JAL flight to Tokyo for a week of work abroad. She texts me in outrage at security that JAL doesn't participate in Pre-check, so she had to stand in a long line like a pleb. Then she gets past security, and the Air France/KLM Lounge at SFO was "at capacity" (it's always at f***in "capacity") and not accepting Priority Pass. EPIC FAIL!

I feel her pain. Iceland Air doesn't participate in pre check either. Though they had the girl out trying to get people to sign up for Clear. At least I was there 3 hours before and it only took about 30 min, but that's not fun when you are used to speeding by everyone. At least I got to use the lounge.

This is only tangentially related to credit cards but while I kill time waiting for my CIP denial letter to arrive, I've been looking into bank account bonuses (thanks @gottalovepluto for the primer on DISchurners). Can someone explain to me how you do it without totally screwing up your personal finance/bill paying schedule? I've been a USAA member forever and everything is set to autopay from one account, so I can't imagine shuffling around $10,000 here and there and having to keep $xxx amount tied up in an account for six months to avoid monthly fees or clawback of the reward. Not to mention changing my direct deposit from work all the time... anyone have personal experience they want to share?

I haven’t done a checking yet, but there are other things you can use as DD besides your paycheck. Doc has a list on his website of what does and doesn’t work for various banks.
As far as tying up money, I would just slide over some money I would otherwise not be touching anyways, such as emergency fund.

What is this? DH got an email to log on to his Chase account to see a secure message about his account. Subject = Changes to your card benefits. We can’t log in tilll tomorrow night. This sounds bad. Should he be worried?

What is this? DH got an email to log on to his Chase account to see a secure message about his account. Subject = Changes to your card benefits. We can’t log in tilll tomorrow night. This sounds bad. Should he be worried?

Does he have a CSR?

How can I earn the most URs on Amazon? Don’t have the CIC. I have CIP, MPE, Amer BGR, CF & CSP.

I get creative with CF quarterly bonus categories for both Disney gift cards and Amazon gift cards. Grocery stores, gas stations and Walgreens in our area all sell Amazon gift cards.

Oh no! That’s no fun. Was the Centurion lounge close to her gate/terminal? I’ve only been to SFO’s Centurion lounge once, just last year. Don’t remember what it close to or not. If I have enough time, I’m not averse to taking a train to hit one up at another terminal.

I told DW she should've flown United, because United does participate in Pre-check and has easy access to the Amex Centurion Lounge where we've never been denied entry, but she much prefers JAL's product to United's.

Given the choice between getting pre checked, Centurion lounge and flying United vs no pre check, no lounge and flying JAL, I’d go with the latter. I think the Plane Princess would too and he’s also a lounge lover.

@miztressuz - my Marriott business card has arrived! Daughter just brought it in so not sure if it arrived over night or sometime today.

The benefits state that you get one elite night for every 3K in spend, just as the personal does. Of course we know august 1 is coming.

Excellent! I can work with that timeline. Sounds like the card is the same as Marriott says then, wonder why Chase changed the offer text? Just messing with us I guess :)

How can I earn the most URs on Amazon? Don’t have the CIC. I have CIP, MPE, Amer BGR, CF & CSP.

I have Amazon Gc's at the grocery stores for your CF

We're mostly using emergency fund money, money that was sitting in high yield savings that we were using for short-term CD deals. But the bank bonuses are more profitable.
Hubby's direct deposit is easy to change and can can be split into multiple accounts, but I'm trying out some of the alternates listed on DoC's site. I think my transfer from CapOne360 into PNC worked (I got the DD email, fingers crossed :) ) and if so that's easier.

I get creative with CF quarterly bonus categories for both Disney gift cards and Amazon gift cards. Grocery stores, gas stations and Walgreens in our area all sell Amazon gift cards.

Oh no! That’s no fun. Was the Centurion lounge close to her gate/terminal? I’ve only been to SFO’s Centurion lounge once, just last year. Don’t remember what it close to or not. If I have enough time, I’m not averse to taking a train to hit one up at another terminal.

Given the choice between getting pre checked, Centurion lounge and flying United vs no pre check, no lounge and flying JAL, I’d go with the latter. I think the Plane Princess would too and he’s also a lounge lover.

Wait... gas stations around you sell Amazon gift cards?! What kind of gas station is this?

No... at SFO, JAL flies out of the International Terminal. The Centurion Lounge is in Terminal 3. They're not connected airside so she'd have to go through security twice. DW agrees JAL > UA; it's worth it to her.

Last edited:
Wait... gas stations around you sell Amazon gift cards?! What kind of gas station is this?

No... at SFO, JAL flies out of the International Terminal. The Centurion Lounge is in Terminal 3. They're not connected airside so she'd have to go through security twice. DW agrees JAL > UA; it's worth it.

Isn't the only PP lounge at SFO International? Which would make it impossible/difficult to use if flying domestic? SFO needs to up their lounge game for being such a large airport. Well PP and Centurion need to up it.

Isn't the only PP lounge at SFO International? Which would make it impossible/difficult to use if flying domestic? SFO needs to up their lounge game for being such a large airport. Well PP and Centurion need to up it.

The only PP Lounge at SFO is the Air France/KLM Lounge in the International Terminal. If you’re flying domestic or out of another terminal, you can still hop between terminals with your same-day boarding pass, but they aren’t connected airside so you’ll have to pass through security at each terminal. I wouldn’t bother because I swear the Air France/KLM Lounge is always “at capacity” or reserved for airline guests only. PP needs to sign up a restaurant at SFO or something. It’s a useless product otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter