I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chase does not charge a fee to transfer points.

Have you ever sold something on Ebay? You have a "business"

My wife makes cookies - had about $100 in "revenue" last year when people reimbursed her for costs to make them for parties... We have a "business"

There's a lot of ways to have a business - I'd REALLY reevaluate that position if you can :) That CIP offer is amazing.

Shoot, I didn't think of that. My mom has a "business" then. She's been selling cookies around the holiday's to the ladies at work for the last couple years. So it's pretty regular now. A couple of the ladies' kids asked this year if they were getting cookies from the 'cookie lady' again. One lady had to buy a 2nd order because her kids ate them all before the party. She does do a good cookie :) Perhaps she'll need a Biz CC to expand that, hehe.

Shoot, I didn't think of that. My mom has a "business" then. She's been selling cookies around the holiday's to the ladies at work for the last couple years. So it's pretty regular now. A couple of the ladies' kids asked this year if they were getting cookies from the 'cookie lady' again. One lady had to buy a 2nd order because her kids ate them all before the party. She does do a good cookie :) Perhaps she'll need a Biz CC to expand that, hehe.
You don't need to generate a profit, right? LOL! I look at the reimbursement as "revenue" and she just sold at cost as part of her marketing efforts :)

So she can get her own and you can refer her (and get more points)

Well - because I suggest your spouse join you in playing this game! LOL! :rotfl2:

That's what we call 2 player mode. AND IT'S AWESOME!!! :thumbsup2 Basically you could get a card, then you can refer your spouse to that card later and earn the signup bonus AND the referral bonus :) If you get an AU card, that adds to the spouse's 5/24 status and makes it more difficult to work around with Chase.

The most common way to work around that is to order an AU card using your middle name or a nickname instead of a spouse.

Huh. I never knew being an AU would mess up DH getting the card/bonus later. Good to know! I added him as an AU to Disney, but not SW. I was going to, but now I wonder if I should have him apply for his own SW card? I would just have to space out applications so we can meet our minimum spends.... Things to think about!! Thanks again for the info!!

Huh. I never knew being an AU would mess up DH getting the card/bonus later. Good to know! I added him as an AU to Disney, but not SW. I was going to, but now I wonder if I should have him apply for his own SW card? I would just have to space out applications so we can meet our minimum spends.... Things to think about!! Thanks again for the info!!
It doesn't affect his ability to get a bonus later. i.e. If you have a CSR and he is an AU on it he can still get his own bonus on the CSR. The problem is Chase counts AU accounts as new cards towards the 5/24 limit :) AND You're welcome - happy to help! Do a little reading and thinking and again, I'd really consider hitting up those UR cards over the Hilton and I would imagine 95%+ of people would give you that same advice here.

It doesn't affect his ability to get a bonus later. i.e. If you have a CSR and he is an AU on it he can still get his own bonus on the CSR. The problem is Chase counts AU accounts as new cards towards the 5/24 limit :) You're welcome - happy to help! Do a little reading and thinking and again, I'd really consider hitting up those UR cards over the Hilton and I would imagine 95%+ of people would give you that same advice here.

Sorry... one more question! DH right now is 1/24 (for being an AU on my Disney). Does his 1/24 start when he became an AU or when I got the card?
Tell me if I have this right..... I apply for CSP, add DH as an AU for the additional 5k points. Then after, I hit my minimums, DH apply for a CSP (and I refer him) so now he's 3/24, which means he could also apply for SW and get the bonus since that would make him 4/24?

Sorry... one more question! DH right now is 1/24 (for being an AU on my Disney). Does his 1/24 start when he became an AU or when I got the card?
Tell me if I have this right..... I apply for CSP, add DH as an AU for the additional 5k points. Then after, I hit my minimums, DH apply for a CSP (and I refer him) so now he's 3/24, which means he could also apply for SW and get the bonus since that would make him 4/24?
I think it would start on the date you got the card.

And yes you have it right but I wouldn't do that. I would add yourself as an AU using your middle name or a nickname so he doesn't have that card hit his report at all :)

Also - keep in mind that if you get the CSP you CANNOT get a CSR for 24 months...You either get both cards at the same time or you pick one.

I think it would start on the date you got the card.

And yes you have it right but I wouldn't do that. I would add yourself as an AU using your middle name or a nickname so he doesn't have that card hit his report at all :)

Also - keep in mind that if you get the CSP you CANNOT get a CSR for 24 months...You either get both cards at the same time or you pick one.
If you're uncomfortable with the middle name or nickname thing - I'd forego the AU card altogether. 5,000 points is only worth $62 or $75 (depending on whether you have CSR or not) and that is NOT worth using a 5/24 slot :)

It's a tough one to analyze - it's always hard for me to put myself in someone else's shoes because I know our spending, our patterns, and the cards we want.

My easy answer is that if I was paying large college bills and they accepted AMEX and didn't charge fees I'd be hitting MRs hard and then cash them out via Schwab. A lot of those cards will generate over a 25% return. I also like the comment of maxing out on a BCP 6% category. On Southwest cards you could forego the airline points and cash them out via gift cards and you're still getting more than 20% return.

I don't think your logic is bad - and the plan you put out there sounds good. If it were me I'd continue to find MSRs to hit until there were no more in sight. IF your spend is so large that you outpace the number of cards you could possibly sign up for then the pendulum swings in favor of this CFU offer for sure. Partnered with a CSR it's 4.5% on everything.

All that said - I find it hard to give a recommendation (going back to my initial statement) :)

Thanks for your thoughts. I need to look more at the Schwab thing as I haven't really gotten a handle on it. My only problem with the MR's is needing to use Amex. It's so hard!

I was planning to PC my BCP to the no fee version since I'm putting literally no spend on it while always trying to meet a MSR. BUT if I did the CFU offer, I might keep it since that would be a higher earner.
I could NEVER cash out my SW points for GC's!! What has come over you to suggest such a thing?!!:scared1:

I got an email from AMEX about the “updates” to my SPG Business card. In reading through the information about the new card/benefits, this jumped out at me about the new Luxury card:

“Complimentary Gold Elite status: Earn Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.”

Then it says (emphasis mine):

Coming in 2019: Each calendar year you can receive credit for 15 nights towards the next level of Elite status. Limit one 15 Elite Night Credit per Marriott Loyalty Program member. Benefit is not exclusive to Cards offered by American Express. Terms apply.”

Does that mean the Luxury card will automatically give you 40 elite nights just for holding the card? 25 from the complimentary Gold status, then another 15 towards the next level? If so, you’d only need to stay 10 more nights to get Platinum. Which sounds too good to be true, but that’s what it says the way I’m understanding it.

You don't need to generate a profit, right? LOL! I look at the reimbursement as "revenue" and she just sold at cost as part of her marketing efforts :)

Exactly, revenue is a completely different animal than profit :) But, she does actually add in a little profit just to pay for her time. It's not much and it still makes them cheaper than the bakery's while tasting better. The ladies actually asked her if they could pay her to bake for them :laughing: So everyone's aware and it was expected.

You should pull DH credit report(s) to find out how it's listed. That's the information Chase would have available so it's probably a good idea to see what they'd see.

If you're uncomfortable with the middle name or nickname thing - I'd forego the AU card altogether. 5,000 points is only worth $62 or $75 (depending on whether you have CSR or not) and that is NOT worth using a 5/24 slot :)
Or you can add your child (if you have one). I added our 8-year-old as AU to DW’s CSP, Chase doesn’t have a minimum age or even ask for the AU’s SSN.

I got an email from AMEX about the “updates” to my SPG Business card. In reading through the information about the new card/benefits, this jumped out at me about the new Luxury card:

“Complimentary Gold Elite status: Earn Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.”

Then it says (emphasis mine):

Coming in 2019: Each calendar year you can receive credit for 15 nights towards the next level of Elite status. Limit one 15 Elite Night Credit per Marriott Loyalty Program member. Benefit is not exclusive to Cards offered by American Express. Terms apply.”

Does that mean the Luxury card will automatically give you 40 elite nights just for holding the card? 25 from the complimentary Gold status, then another 15 towards the next level? If so, you’d only need to stay 10 more nights to get Platinum. Which sounds too good to be true, but that’s what it says the way I’m understanding it.

I'm trying to decipher that email now too. :scratchin In the email it says for Credit Towards Elite Status "We will also announce a new enhanced annual credit for nights towards Elite status. More details will be provided later this year" But elsewhere, I did read about the 15 nights like the Marriott cards now. Which is how I assumed I was getting the complimentary Silver Elite status (like the Marriott program). So it's possible what you say is true, but I figured it was more likely that those 15 nights are rolled into the nights needed for Gold so it's 25 total.

I agree with @SouthFayetteFan on the AU'er thing (and everything else lol)...the 5k points are not worth it to use one of the precious 5/24 spots. I added my teen dd when I opened the CSP. My mom used one of my ds's. In both cases, we used the card once and sock-drawered it. If you want those extra 5k UR's, you need to come up with another way to add an AU'er (besides your dh).

Another big fan of the CIP card too. The signup bonus is just really good and truly, the best signup bonus Chase has going right now. I'd really consider if you have anything you could use as a 'business'. Some use garage sale funds, selling on CL or ebay, babysitting, sewing for extra cash, etc. The spend on the CIP is 5k in 3 mos.

I'm trying to decipher that email now too. :scratchin In the email it says for Credit Towards Elite Status "We will also announce a new enhanced annual credit for nights towards Elite status. More details will be provided later this year" But elsewhere, I did read about the 15 nights like the Marriott cards now. Which is how I assumed I was getting the complimentary Silver Elite status (like the Marriott program). So it's possible what you say is true, but I figured it was more likely that those 15 nights are rolled into the nights needed for Gold so it's 25 total.
I just realized that what I posted wasn’t in the email itself, it was on a page linked to at the bottom of the email.

What you are saying is probably more likely, but it does say “15 Elite Night Credits towards the next level of Elite status.” If you get complimentary Gold with the card, the next level is Platinum. Why do they have to make this unnecessarily confusing?

I just realized that what I posted wasn’t in the email itself, it was on a page linked to at the bottom of the email.

What you are saying is probably more likely, but it does say “15 Elite Night Credits towards the next level of Elite status.” If you get complimentary Gold with the card, the next level is Platinum. Why do they have to make this unnecessarily confusing?

Yeah that must have been what I did, the Learn More button in that section. I'm getting so confused with all the different links and pages. I got an email from SPG, and then another from AmEx about it, and then somewhere on the SPG website it linked over to the Marriott program page. While I usually appreciate a lot of information, it's actually making it more confusing because they each like to change the words up on how to describe the same thing!

Officially unemployed! Left on good terms with my boss with both of us offering to be a reference. Moat everyone I told I was leaving said good for you even when I told them I had nothing lined up. It's a sad show of where we work when people are happy for you leaving a job without another lined up. It did further prove to myself that it's the right decision and I feel so much better knowing I don't have to go there Monday.

Now to get signed up with the temp agencies, find a job and finally figure out how to start the blog I've been wanting to do for almost 10 years.

I'll meet the first part of my amex msr this weekend and have until Sept to get the additional 1k for the extra 10k miles. Easy peasy.

so umm... Full Time MS? ;)

throwing a curveball here thats a different ideology. You could add your DH now... it doesnt completely mess up your DH from getting the bonus later. But you have to take extra steps to get the AU removed, make sure its cleared off of his credit report before u could proceed with applying a card. Its just extra steps.

I own a “rental property” which in reality is rented for what I pay in taxes and insurance (long story) so I actually lose money every year if you figure depreciation. I have used it as the basis for 3 business cards without issues (admittedly none are Chase cards)

I agree with @SouthFayetteFan on the AU'er thing (and everything else lol)...the 5k points are not worth it to use one of the precious 5/24 spots. I added my teen dd when I opened the CSP. My mom used one of my ds's. In both cases, we used the card once and sock-drawered it. If you want those extra 5k UR's, you need to come up with another way to add an AU'er (besides your dh).

Another big fan of the CIP card too. The signup bonus is just really good and truly, the best signup bonus Chase has going right now. I'd really consider if you have anything you could use as a 'business'. Some use garage sale funds, selling on CL or ebay, babysitting, sewing for extra cash, etc. The spend on the CIP is 5k in 3 mos.

Add a teen and then sock drawer it! That is where I went wrong. My DD was so excited to get a CC with her name on it. It is supposed to be for gas and emergencies. I had given her my Disney one for gas previously because I never use it. With 7 AP classes and sports, I didn't want her having a job during school, but she really needs one for summer. Her "emergencies" seem to be Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks. I created a monster. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter