I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to AMEX, I just applied so I can get the balance transfer $0 fee and 0% APR which I need for a no interest loan at the moment. I never thought I'd get an AMEX, my choice that I saw out on the internet when trying to meet the above criteria was either BoA or this one. I picked up a 15,000 bonus rather than the 10,000 AMEX membership, not sure what good this all does since I'm completely in unfamiliar territory with AMEX and just needed it for the no interest loan I will have until August 2019. Through this board I've read about some great ideas and also picked up a SW card for the bonus. I'll be checking this board out more often, though I don't think I'll ever get up to the level of being a great travel reward churner.
You don’t need to be as crazy as some of us to generate a little stash of travel points or cash-back. With 3-4 cards a year you can still generate a nice return :)

You don’t need to be as crazy as some of us to generate a little stash of travel points or cash-back. With 3-4 cards a year you can still generate a nice return :)

would like to add - I can never get to your level of "crazy" and don't feel that I need to to have my travel plans covered. Careful planning is all it takes along with having the right combination of cards to meet my needs. (not that I don't envy your level of "crazy" and your "stash" at times.)

Just two chase cards in the last 24 months; one business and one personal southwest. I’ve got about $10k I need to pay, so looking to get the most out of it. I’m flexible in the rewards; I usually stick with Southwest or American Airlines, any major hotel brand, or AMEX membership rewards. If Chase URs are more lucrative, I’ll have to learn the program.

Not looking for an app-o-rama; just trying to get the most out of tax payments.

I’d probably double dip the CSR and CSP. You will get lots of URs that way and the 10k will meet your MsR.

ETA: I like @gottalovepluto ’s CIP idea too

I’d probably double dip the CSR and CSP. You will get lots of URs that way and the 10k will meet your MsR.

ETA: I like @gottalovepluto ’s CIP idea too

This is what I was thinking until I read @gottalovepluto and then I switched to her way of thinking! CIP covers a lot of the bases including 1.25 (if I remember correctly?) when redeemed for travel.

If I book our room at Universal (probably Royal Pacific) with hotels.com/venture with my husband’s Venture Card for 10% back, can I redeem his points to pay towards that room?

I’m trying to get the right combination of cards/points to cover most of not all of our room and park tickets (through Undercover Tourist) for next fall.

Any ideas to help offset food expenses? Airfare is already taken care of with SW Rapid Rewards.

HAHA - I actually don’t drink coffee. But I am sitting here at the church piano about to start playing the prelude for the service ;)

Ok, this took me totally by surprise and brought a smile to my face. If I had been asked
“What is SouthFayetteFan doing now” and had been given 5 multiple choice answers, I’m pretty confident that sitting at the piano in church would not have topped my list of answers.
Kinda nice to get to know our friends a little better.

I've been browsing this thread for the past few weeks trying to absorb everything!
We have always been a charge everything and pay the bill in full family, but always just used our Disney card.

In January I applied for the CSP and we've met the spend on that. Last month I referred my DH to the jetblue card earning myself a referral bonus of 5000 trueblue points and after 1k spend he has earned 40000 trueblue points. I love JetBlue and have had their card since 2007 and just downgraded mine to the no fee version since DH now has the $99 one.

I am currently at 2/24 since I added myself as an AU on DH's JetBlue card. All my other cards are many years old (been a Disney card holder since Day One)

DH has no interest in anymore credit cards so I am on my own. I want more though! I really want a Freedom for the 5% quarterly categories, but not sure if that is my best next move.

My next travel goal is a trip to Disneyland in October for my son's 4th birthday. We usually fly JetBlue or Southwest. I only have about 2700 southwest points currently, and will have about 60k in jetblue once our points post.

What should be my next card? I occasionally sell on ebay so I'm willing to try for a "business" card.

I've been browsing this thread for the past few weeks trying to absorb everything!
We have always been a charge everything and pay the bill in full family, but always just used our Disney card.

In January I applied for the CSP and we've met the spend on that. Last month I referred my DH to the jetblue card earning myself a referral bonus of 5000 trueblue points and after 1k spend he has earned 40000 trueblue points. I love JetBlue and have had their card since 2007 and just downgraded mine to the no fee version since DH now has the $99 one.

I am currently at 2/24 since I added myself as an AU on DH's JetBlue card. All my other cards are many years old (been a Disney card holder since Day One)

DH has no interest in anymore credit cards so I am on my own. I want more though! I really want a Freedom for the 5% quarterly categories, but not sure if that is my best next move.

My next travel goal is a trip to Disneyland in October for my son's 4th birthday. We usually fly JetBlue or Southwest. I only have about 2700 southwest points currently, and will have about 60k in jetblue once our points post.

What should be my next card? I occasionally sell on ebay so I'm willing to try for a "business" card.

Others can give you the best advice about your next card. I love my Freedom and the 5x UR points that are so versatile and can be used for SW. If you really want it, you might want to go for that one first since Chase does have the 5/24 rule. But there are other cards that are better for the initial sign on bonus.

You’re right that Freedom may not be your best next move. It’s a nice card to have but there are more lucrative offers out there. The most popular one discussed right now is Chase Ink Preferred (CIP) - which offers 80,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards (URs) for $5,000 spend in 90 days. This signup bonus (and base spend) is typically worth $1,000+ depending on how you redeem the points.

Have you considered joining our private DISchurners Reddit group? We share some tips there and you can support fellow DISers.

Since you have a business, I think CIP might be a good choice. It will quickly boost up your UR points and then later you can downgrade the CSP to a no fee card or apply for CF for the quarterly categories.

Your DH may need some time in between cards before he wants to jump out there again. Next year, you could refer DH for one of the UR earning cards if he comes around!

You’re right that Freedom may not be your best next move. It’s a nice card to have but there are more lucrative offers out there. The most popular one discussed right now is Chase Ink Preferred (CIP) - which offers 80,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards (URs) for $5,000 spend in 90 days. This signup bonus (and base spend) is typically worth $1,000+ depending on how you redeem the points.

Have you considered joining our private DISchurners Reddit group? We share some tips there and you can support fellow DISers.

Ahhhh!! I'm learning UR's from the best! Sooner or later (actually later) I will get my own UR earning trifecta!

Any ideas to help offset food expenses? Airfare is already taken care of with SW Rapid Rewards.

its not advisable but most point systems allow you to redeem your points for statement credit. You dont get a good value from that as its basically 1pt for $.01. you can get a lot higher redemption by redeeming them elsewhere. If a truely free trip is on your mind, this could be an option. Id personally though swipe a card that earns high on dining, ie CSR, Uber Card, etc.

Others can give you the best advice about your next card. I love my Freedom and the 5x UR points that are so versatile and can be used for SW. If you really want it, you might want to go for that one first since Chase does have the 5/24 rule. But there are other cards that are better for the initial sign on bonus.
Thanks, it does seem like a great card!

Thanks. 80,000 UR does sound like a good offer. I haven't joined reddit yet, but I'll look into it now.

Since you have a business, I think CIP might be a good choice. It will quickly boost up your UR points and then later you can downgrade the CSP to a no fee card or apply for CF for the quarterly categories.

Your DH may need some time in between cards before he wants to jump out there again. Next year, you could refer DH for one of the UR earning cards if he comes around!

I was thinking that a downgrade to the CF would be the way to go. The CIP would still give me the ability to us the UR portal and transfer the UR from the CF then?

I'm hoping that if we get enough travel deals DH will come around and then referring him would definitely be awesome.

Thanks. 80,000 UR does sound like a good offer. I haven't joined reddit yet, but I'll look into it now...I'm hoping that if we get enough travel deals DH will come around and then referring him would definitely be awesome.
Once you join Reddit just PM me your name here on the DIS and I’ll get you added :)

Good luck bringing that husband around!

I think the CIP would be a good next move for you. That would boost your URs. Then eventually downgrade the CSP to a CF so you have that. Possibly the new sW card coming will be good for later this year but we don’t know much about it yet so you have time to figure that out later. After the CIP you can do an Amex biz card to keep you busy.

Chiming in to agree. CIP is the card for you! Some come here not comfortable with getting biz card and slowly warm to the idea. I love that you already are thinking that direction! Once you get the CIP and knock out the spend, you can continue adding other biz cards from Amex to keep things slow with Chase.

Sorry your dh isn't wanting to play along. He may come around though once he realizes how far these points can go for free travel. A lot of us had to convince spouses to get onboard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter