I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

My "biz" of selling our old stuff we don't want anymore on ebay has a lot of expenses lately. One of them is making sure the sole proprietor and spouse take a 2-week vacation in Italy this November. You see, we need to be mentally refreshed for the busy holiday season, during which we'll be selling off old stuff when we inevitable get/are gifted new stuff that replaces the old.
My husband did just create a YouTube channel for my kids. I'm pretty sure our only subscribers are related to us but we've gotta get all this content created so a single four year old can watch it...

So the plan would be to move to Reddit? I guess I just want to be ready, just in case.

Yes, that's why I said it 🙂 It's always been the backup and used to get used more for stuff we didn't want to/couldn't discuss.

Highly doubt the boards go away. Also would guess a lot in here and on the budget board don't even know. Most don't listen to the podcast.

That's all the more I'll say. It's all on the podcast forum for anyone that's curious and wants to read.

Oh y'all...DD had a rough semester and I won't go into details because it's her business but we'll leave it at she withdrew 2 weeks prior to graduation (OUCH!) and today I got to pay tuition again (unexpectedly). The silver lining is I did manage to get 2 new credit cards for me and the one allotted to me by DH for the year (that man is the worst P2 lol)...and after the processing fees and AFs we still cleared about $2500...not great but not terrible. I remember my ongoing discussions with WVMomof3 about getting new cards for tuition purposes and paying with cc v. cash and it made me a bit sad...I do so hope things are going well for you @WVMo3DD and your siblings!

Okay, back to regularly scheduled programing...

Oh y'all...DD had a rough semester and I won't go into details because it's her business but we'll leave it at she withdrew 2 weeks prior to graduation (OUCH!) and today I got to pay tuition again (unexpectedly). The silver lining is I did manage to get 2 new credit cards for me and the one allotted to me by DH for the year (that man is the worst P2 lol)...and after the processing fees and AFs we still cleared about $2500...not great but not terrible. I remember my ongoing discussions with WVMomof3 about getting new cards for tuition purposes and paying with cc v. cash and it made me a bit sad...I do so hope things are going well for you @WVMo3DD and your siblings!

I am truly sorry to hear about your dd. May her next semester be much better for her :grouphug:.

Yes, that's why I said it 🙂 It's always been the backup and used to get used more for stuff we didn't want to/couldn't discuss.

Highly doubt the boards go away. Also would guess a lot in here and on the budget board don't even know. Most don't listen to the podcast.

That's all the more I'll say. It's all on the podcast forum for anyone that's curious and wants to read.
100% agree. Glad we have Reddit just in case.

Oooh, what is a reloadable Red Card?
I'm about to find out! I'm setup to be a guinea pig for a long DP. Got approved for it today, have account setup but have to wait for it to arrive. Got distracted while trying to download the app to figure out reloads. I think you can try in store before it arrives because it uses a QR code from the app to load only and not the card. Reviews from the app store not promising but it's a new product they're working the kinks out (launched Oct/Nov '22) and some people just attract problems that others never have. (I'm hoping to not be one of those this time!)

Even once it arrives, seems like it does take a few weeks before the statement credit appears, so potentially not a quick test. I am scripting my spiel for reload testing and we'll see what I can learn there. My fear is that Target has learned from others (and its past!) and it won't be as fun as before.

I think @calypso726 was around for Redbird days? I'm sad I wasn't in the game then.

I'm about to find out! I'm setup to be a guinea pig for a long DP. Got approved for it today, have account setup but have to wait for it to arrive. Got distracted while trying to download the app to figure out reloads. I think you can try in store before it arrives because it uses a QR code from the app to load only and not the card. Reviews from the app store not promising but it's a new product they're working the kinks out (launched Oct/Nov '22) and some people just attract problems that others never have. (I'm hoping to not be one of those this time!)

Even once it arrives, seems like it does take a few weeks before the statement credit appears, so potentially not a quick test. I am scripting my spiel for reload testing and we'll see what I can learn there. My fear is that Target has learned from others (and its past!) and it won't be as fun as before.

I think @calypso726 was around for Redbird days? I'm sad I wasn't in the game then.
Yeah. I mourned the death of Redbird.

Hold my hand? Considering applying for the CIU but it's only supposed to be used for business expenses. Do people just use it for personal expenses if they have a very small business? Especially to meet the minimum spend.
At the end of the day it is impossible for a credit card company to determine if it was for a business. Zoo tickets? Perk. Dental bill? Benefit. Gas bill? Office expense. Drapes? Office upgrade. But they don't actually care so they won't ask about them. You'll just see a note on the statements about only using for business expenses.

What you need to know is there are fewer protections on a business card than on a personal card. Mainly fraudulent charges on a personal card have a government mandated limit of $50 of liability to you, business cards have no government mandated liability limit. Most issuers will work with you when fraud happens on a business card (I don't recall any of us being on the hook for any crazy fraud charges) but you need to be on top of reporting any fraud as soon as you know to minimize your exposure.

So the plan would be to move to Reddit? I guess I just want to be ready, just in case.
Yes, temporarily to reddit. The general discussion thread there doubles as a place to find each other on the internet in case things go down here for any reason.

Thanks @FoxC63 !

This is a nice promotion, $50 is generally their highest offer. The RedCard Reloadable Account has GC potential. It doesn’t list any restrictions and it’s a statement credit instead of a coupon. Just be sure to do one transaction of $50+ within 45 days of registering the card. I can’t see why that wouldn’t work for a GC purchase.

For those who are familiar with the RedCard coupon game, note that they have made some recent changes where you can’t double dip the coupon anymore and, for the hardcore, there’s been chatter about churning restrictions. Check out the comments on DoC for updates from more knowledgeable folks than I. (link - DoctorOfCredit, see Comments)

For those who are not familiar with Target’s RedCard and their various options, here’s a quicky primer to help decide which card (if any!) may work for you.

Target provides 4 RedCard options –
  • Credit: Store credit card that can only be used at Target
  • Debit: Store debit card that can only be used at Target, linked to your existing checking account
  • Reloadable: Prepaid Visa card that can be used at Target or anywhere Visa is accepted
  • MasterCard: *Product Change only option, by invitation*

All cards receive the same 5% of Target purchases, including 3rd party GC’s. This is not a loophole, they advertise this fact and use it as a selling feature of the card! In fact, they use a Disney GC to advertise it, they know, they encourage it. 5% is the minimum discount you should accept when doing Disney GC deals, for this reason. They also have free shipping when using the card, extended returns, and exclusive offers. See the full list at https://www.target.com/redcard

RedCard Credit: Works just like any other store card, can only be used at Target, gets you all the Target benefits. It does require a PIN as it's a Chip+PIN system, but it's really a credit card. Since this is a store only card, it should bypass the Chase 5/24 rule but YMMV. The automated approval systems have ignored store only cards when calculating 5/24 if they can identify them from the CR. When they haven’t ignored them or if you have to recon with a human for another reason, very YMMV if the rep you get is knowledgeable enough, or cares enough, to exclude that when calculating 5/24.

It's only use is Target purchases but has the potential to be upgraded into a MasterCard which can be a little more useful. We’ve also mentioned in the thread here some ways you can pay off the credit card with in store payments. ;)

RedCard Debit: The card is linked to an existing checking account that you provided at signup. It works similar to your bank debit card except that it only works at Target. What happens is Target creates a EFT for the amount of your purchase to withdraw it from your checking account. The transaction appears within a day or so of your Target trip. This means there’s a bit of a delay and they don’t have real time access to your bank account balance, so it’s possible to actually be declined when making a purchase or potentially overdraw your account. You do get a bit of a ‘credit limit’ because of that, with your initial limit being based on your account balance at the time of signup. Once you use the card more that ‘limit’ increases as you establish a history. However, since it's not a credit card it does not affect anything else you may be doing in the churning/points game.

If you go this route I recommend having a balance higher than what you expect your transactions to be in your account when you apply and link the account. No guarantee on what ‘credit limit’ they give you initially but can’t hurt. Also personal preference, I wouldn’t link it to my main checking account, I’d use a separate account that I plan to hold long term for stuff like this.

RedCard Reloadable: This is a prepaid Visa card along the lines of Serve, Bluebird, or Netspend, GreenDot, etc. It only has access to the money you prepay into the account. You load it either with cash, bank transfers, or direct deposit. Once you have money balance available, then you use it at Target or anywhere Visa is accepted - just like a normal debit card. There are no minimum balances or other monthly fees, so you could just move money in when you expect to make a purchase so that you don’t have cash sitting there not working for you for long periods of time. This takes some planning though. If you’re an active Target shopper, you could have your expected Target budget direct deposited into it to keep it funded. (also a way to stick to that budget! :laughing:)

This product is being administered by Incomm Payments, who also administer Serve and Bluebird accounts. If you’ve been banned by either of those products, then that ban seems to extend to RC Reloadable too. At the moment I haven’t come across any success stories of loading it in-store with anything other than cash. For those familiar with Serve and Bluebird, you know this is a bummer.

RedCard MasterCard: This is an invitation only product now. You must have a RC Credit card first and then be selected by the bank to be upgraded to the MasterCard version. Has all the same benefits as the store credit card plus can be used anywhere MC is accepted and is a true Chip and Pin card. It has a rewards program where purchases outside of Target get 1% back in rewards with gas and dining purchases getting 2% back. Once you reach $10 in rewards, then you can request a Target GC for the amount. You can only request the GC after meeting the $10 threshold each time. There’s also no FTFs so with the Chip & Pin functionality, it’s a free backup for international charges that are finicky with Chip+Signature cards (i.e., the vast majority of US issued cards). I've used it overseas several times, no issues, worked nicely for a gas pump in Iceland that didn't like my other MC option.

Not sure what triggers the invitation. Some people are invited fairly quickly, others take years. It seems that they have a periodic process where they review accounts and send out invites, as I see groupings of discussion activity. A theme I noticed lately is credit limit increases before being contacted. I’m speculating that once you reach a credit threshold they evaluate the account history and make invitations to good candidates. I’m not entirely sure, I have had my MC since before they went to this invite only model. (I’ve actually had mine since it was a Visa pre-data breach changeover to MC. Do I have any old timers that remember the 10% shopping DAY as the reward?)

A minor concern to consider for this upgrade is 5/24 eligibility. Once the account is changed to a full revolving account, it becomes part of your 5/24 count. It should retain the original opening date; however, I’m still looking for a solid DP to confirm that. So if you’ve had the card for a few years, not a problem. If you’re one of the chosen ones that are selected quickly, then it has a potential to derail Chase plans. Just food for thought.

After all that, let’s checkout the current sign up bonus!

If you are approved for the Credit or Debit version then you’ll receive a paper coupon in the envelope with your card. You now have to scan that into your Target Circle account to be able to use it. (This is how they stopped the double dipping!) Once it’s in your account you have to apply it to your order. It can only be used once! So make sure everything in the order is eligible before finalizing the purchase as it can be hard, if not impossible, to recover. There is a long list of exclusions, which makes you wonder if there’s anything it can be used on, but considering the thousands of products that Target carries, it’s not that bad. Notably though, it will not work on Gift Cards (like Disney, Chipotle, Target, Delta, etc.) or Prepaid cards (like phone cards, game credits, Visa/MC/AmEx, etc.) and popular brands like Lego or Barbie, or popular items like Nintendo Switch or PlayStaton 5. After you’ve double checked that your eligible purchases total $50 or more, then you can checkout and enjoy!

If approved for the Reloadable version, you have to activate the card online when it arrives and then make a single purchase of $50 or more on the card (within 45 days of registration). Within 30 days of the transaction, they’ll give you a $50 statement credit. You can do it in store or online, but, keep in mind that online transactions are split according to shipments. If you have multiple items that total $50 but are shipped separately, according to the terms, you wouldn’t get the credit.

With such a small amount in play, why are we even talking about this when I can get hundreds from signing up for another card?
These offers were more lucrative when you could double dip the paper coupon both instore and online and you could churn through multiple debit cards a year. Target is finally finding ways to combat that. The usual coupon is $40 so the $50 option and bringing back the Reloadable eligibility for it is a positive change. Now if you see some chatter about it, hopefully you have some basis to evaluate how it will or won't work with your plans; and if it's worth further research.

This is crazy thorough! Thank you. I rarely use my Target debit card because I try to always be working towards a SUB. $50 free dollar dollar bills seems like something I want! So it seems like I can have the reloadable card even if I have the debit card?

I assume there is no effect on x/24 count?

Hawaii advice please

Let's say this is our first time to Hawaii (I've been, but it was 35 years ago. Husband has never been).

For first timers, would we be OK spending the whole week at a Waikiki area hotel?

Would we need a rental car to get from the airport (HNL) to that area? Do most hotels have airport shuttles, or no?

We don't need fancy, but I honestly don't even know where to start! We are OK mostly relaxing, enjoying beach time, and just chilling, but I don't know if Waikiki is the best way to do that or if we should look elsewhere.

For info, I am looking at January but that's only because I happened to check the BA site and I could get there on American entirely on points. I'm not tied to those dates but I don't want to pay OOP for tickets.

Bonus if I can use Chase URs/IHG points for a week's worth of hotel but that doesn't seem feasible right now (I have about 134K IHG and maybe 170K URs).

I would not enjoy a whole week in Waikiki at all. Think Chicago with a beach. Super busy city. We encountered many homeless people with mental illness and the police seemed to be actively policing them in a way we hadn't seen in most other big cities. But Pearl Harbor was great to visit.

We really liked Maui- the area of Wailea especially. This would be a great area for beach time and chilling. They have a walking path that is very magical.

We also said we'd like to try to visit Kauai if we go back.

Best of luck with DD. I had a similar situation with DS and his college path was different than he expected. But he's the type of kid who felt like he had to have everything planned and then when it didn't go as planned, it was devastating. Yes, we paid some extra tuition and he did get his engineering degree, but most importantly, I hope the lesson he learned is that he is loved and the only path that matters is one of happiness, fulfillment and kindness.

A big thank you
I got my amex plat end of june. Been working on using all the benefits to wipe out the AF.
I have a black tie wedding NYE. after finding nothing in he stores, I went on to the Saks site figuring I'd use my $50
plus I do a lot of online shopping thru top cash back and had a $46 gift card to Saks
found a dress on clearance that wasn't final sale. OOP $32! plus cash back. Alterations are $100 but retail of dress was over $300 and any dress was going to need alterations!
Thank you!

next up rt to athens. was going to use AA miles (92k for economy) but found Emirates from EWR for 75k UHR. much better!

you guys are great!

I would not enjoy a whole week in Waikiki at all. Think Chicago with a beach. Super busy city. We encountered many homeless people with mental illness and the police seemed to be actively policing them in a way we hadn't seen in most other big cities. But Pearl Harbor was great to visit.

We really liked Maui- the area of Wailea especially. This would be a great area for beach time and chilling. They have a walking path that is very magical.

Waikiki is Tokyo by the beach for me. I like the energy and the Japanese food. We didn't encounter many homeless other than driving past the encampments, but it's been several years since we've been.

Kauai is beautiful. I really like the Big Island too. The lava fields and solitude driving around some areas reminds me of Iceland.

Hold my hand? Considering applying for the CIU but it's only supposed to be used for business expenses. Do people just use it for personal expenses if they have a very small business? Especially to meet the minimum spend.
The card language doesn't say "deductible expenses" it says "business expenses." IMHO, that's a very big difference, lol.

Waikiki is Tokyo by the beach for me. I like the energy and the Japanese food. We didn't encounter many homeless other than driving past the encampments, but it's been several years since we've been.

Kauai is beautiful. I really like the Big Island too. The lava fields and solitude driving around some areas reminds me of Iceland.

To do a week on Oahu you've got to leave Waikiki at least for day trips which can be done. There is a decent amount to do outside the beach. But if you just want a beach I wouldn't go to Waikiki. Not that nicr of a beach and it's crowded. The other islands are better for relaxing beach trips.

When DD logs into her Chase account, it says she's "pre-approved" for both Ink Preferred and Premier and when she clicks the link, it brings up the application. Does that mean actual pre-approval, without considering CL, timing, etc? I never noticed that before until recently.

I had to chuckle at this. Chicago actually has some beautiful beaches! 😉

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter