• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I need to seriously book the flight from DTW to BOS for Ireland. I've been holding off and watching. It looks like we have 2 options, Jet Blue or Delta. The Delta flight would allow me to teach a 1/2 day before heading to BOS. Both should get us there with more than enough time to grab our bags and check back in.

So I guess I'm looking at which card to get next so I get free baggage, LOL. If I do Delta (which I do prefer) I'd be attempting to get the Delta Biz Plat, but the SUB is low right now. So that has me leaning towards JB and TBH, using the JB miles to book the flight. With Spirit likely becoming JB, I doubt I'd use the miles down the road, so might as well use them now, LOL.

Does anyone have the JB biz card? Anything I need to know? Barclay hasn't loved me in the past, but I did have both the personal and biz AA cards. And I do still have a GAP card w/ them, LOL. How fast will the miles post? I'd be happy to charge my taxes immediately to hit the SUB right away!

The other option would be to send my mom and daughter on JB (it's cheaper) and have my 17yo take my bag on JB w. them and I can fly delta w/ just my carry-on. If I did this, does anyone know if I put the employee card in my mom's name or my 17yo's name (I don't think I can do it for her), if they book using THEIR card, do they get the free luggage?
Just a reminder of what happened to us, had a same day repositioning flight with 4 hour layover. Didn’t make it, thanks United. In fact, we ended up loosing a day of vacation and our J tickets.

Well I applied for the JB Biz card. Barclay gave me the "under review" message. So I guess I wait and see now. God, I hate applying to them, LOL.

So I get you already applied, but in response to your other email - my experience is that the earliest you can expect the SUB points to post is with your second statement. So may not fit in with your timeline.

I need to seriously book the flight from DTW to BOS for Ireland. I've been holding off and watching. It looks like we have 2 options, Jet Blue or Delta. The Delta flight would allow me to teach a 1/2 day before heading to BOS. Both should get us there with more than enough time to grab our bags and check back in.

So I guess I'm looking at which card to get next so I get free baggage, LOL. If I do Delta (which I do prefer) I'd be attempting to get the Delta Biz Plat, but the SUB is low right now. So that has me leaning towards JB and TBH, using the JB miles to book the flight. With Spirit likely becoming JB, I doubt I'd use the miles down the road, so might as well use them now, LOL.

Does anyone have the JB biz card? Anything I need to know? Barclay hasn't loved me in the past, but I did have both the personal and biz AA cards. And I do still have a GAP card w/ them, LOL. How fast will the miles post? I'd be happy to charge my taxes immediately to hit the SUB right away!

The other option would be to send my mom and daughter on JB (it's cheaper) and have my 17yo take my bag on JB w. them and I can fly delta w/ just my carry-on. If I did this, does anyone know if I put the employee card in my mom's name or my 17yo's name (I don't think I can do it for her), if they book using THEIR card, do they get the free luggage?
I've had the JB Biz twice. They used to have a really crappy website, but now they just use the same site as the personal cards. It took a bit for the points to post. I think it had the same stipulation as the personal that you have to pay the AF before you get the points, so it takes 2 statements to post. I actually kept spending beyond the $2k MSR for a bit because I thought maybe I miscalculated since the points weren't posting. I opened the card 10/6 and points posted 12/3.

Just a reminder of what happened to us, had a same day repositioning flight with 4 hour layover. Didn’t make it, thanks United. In fact, we ended up loosing a day of vacation and our J tickets.

I'm doing my first positioning flight for our trip to Ireland (in June). We decided to fly up the day before to BOS and tour around, maybe hit the Red Sox game that night and still have a full day until we need to head to the airport for our flight to Dublin. I realize in doing this, I have to add the cost of our positioning flight (we opted to pay cash) and the hotel (will use points) and the dog sitter (lol) to truly represent the cost of our "free" flights to Ireland. Off the top of my head, I guess it will be economy to BOS, Biz Class to DUB, Economy alll the way Back for a total of $500 per person? I could have used points for the RDU-BOS flight (JB) but I got them on a black friday sale and earned 5x points on Amex. We're trying to protect our points (aside from the ireland trip) as we're semi-retired now. We'll use our "bank" of points when we aren't getting a paycheck anymore (I'm getting paid thru June).

But it's much easier to make those mental trade-offs when I don't have to ask for additional time off!!!

Just finishing up my Platinum spend for the credits before I cancel it...$200 for united travel bank, $50 for Saks. I think that's all I can double dip. 🤔

Last edited:
I'm doing my first positioning flight for our trip to Ireland (in June). We decided to fly up the day before to BOS and tour around, maybe hit the Red Sox game that night and still have a full day until we need to head to the airport for our flight to Dublin. I realize in doing this, I have to add the cost of our positioning flight (we opted to pay cash) and the hotel (will use points) and the dog sitter (lol) to truly represent the cost of our "free" flights to Ireland. Off the top of my head, I guess it will be economy to BOS, Biz Class to DUB, Economy alll the way Back for a total of $500 per person? I could have used points for the RDU-BOS flight (JB) but I got them on a black friday sale and earned 5x points on Amex. We're trying to protect our points (aside from the ireland trip) as we're semi-retired now. We'll use our "bank" of points when we aren't getting a paycheck anymore (I'm getting paid thru June).

But it's much easier to make those mental trade-offs when I don't have to ask for additional time off!!!
We want to fly to Ireland next year. What airline are you using?

Happy new year all! I wanted to take the kids to FL this week, but they suck! So I'm looking at just flying down myself and getting some sunshine. God knows I need some. I'm really hoping 2023 is better. I do want to say Michigan didn't end 2022 well....but THANK YOU GEORGIA for starting 2023 off, LOL. I could not take an OSU win!

I should be hitting my CSR spend this week! And I should hopefully knock out the CSP soon too (if not my taxes will). My mom and I both have taxes coming up so debating if I want to grab another card and what's realistic. I probably should have paid attention to my spends on the MDD and did an Amex Plat to triple dip. UGH! Oh well....live and learn. There is always next Nov/Dec to do that. I guess it's time to look at my "want" list and see what I want to get next.

@havaneselover Okay I HAVE to know if you know who your parents sold their house to. Apparently my cousin just bought a house off an older couple who were moving to FL! I'm like OMG, what if it was your parents, LOL. My CIL is an orthopedic surgeon, my cousin is an engineer turn SAHM. They have 3 kids, LOL.
Lol on your kids. Seriously, what is so hard about turning work in? I wish someone could explain this mystery to me.

I think it was an older couple without kids who bought my parents' house (meaning maybe in their early 60s). My parents were in Bay Harbor in the Preserve. They probably would have said a really, really old couple if it had been my parents (they turn 80 this year God willing)!

And yesterday was a rough day for Michigan fans. My dad was really upset. But agree on OSU:) And one good thing about going to a school with a terrible football program is you just never care.

Last edited:
I think I figured out my FL dilemma. I'm going to drive down with the dogs for my daughter's spring break and fly her down and back from ATL. Then I'll just stay down there between her spring break and my son's and fly him down and he can drive back with me. He will be 18 but honestly the idea of him flying by himself and connecting scares me to death. I can get him into Tampa nonstop. And he only wants to fly first class. Really he doesn't want to sit next to strangers and I really don't know how to accommodate that.

We want to fly to Ireland next year. What airline are you using?
Not the OP but we're flying over in March-used Avios to fly Aer Lingus there in biz and will fly back on Delta also on biz (found a great cash fare last year and created the trip around it lol). I haven't been to Ireland since Oct 2019 so looking forward to returning!

Last edited:
I think I figured out my FL dilemma. I'm going to drive down with the dogs for my daughter's spring break and fly her down and back from ATL. Then I'll just stay down there between her spring break and my son's and fly him down and he can drive back with me. He will be 18 but honestly the idea of him flying by himself and connecting scares me to death. I can get him into Tampa nonstop. And he only wants to fly first class. Really he doesn't want to sit next to strangers and I really don't know how to accommodate that.
I like this idea. It's much easier on you and the dogs!

Lots of trips to Ireland. DH and I are also going this year. W did a UR transfer to United. Economy there and business back. Yes, I know...business is better on the overnight, but the point cost was really astronomical. I'll see if there's a way to upgrade later.

I'm leaving for the WA Cabo on the 16th. Any recommendations for restaurants within walking distance of the hotel? Tagging @FreeDiningFanatic

Not the poster you tagged, and sadly not someone who can answer your question because we ended up just eating at the hotel. Breakfast was big, and then between the snacks they passed out at the pool and the snacks they brought to the room we just weren't hungry until dinner (which we had at the hotel). It's not far at all to walk to town though. Just want to say that I hope you have a fantastic time there. It's a fabulous place and we really enjoyed our trip there over winter break. :cloud9:

@calypso726 Will look forward to your trip report! Galapagos has been on my bucket list since before bucket lists were a thing. I know it will never happen so I'll live vicariously.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cm5a9wbI59t/?igshid=Zjc2ZTc4Nzk=

Here is my room tour video of the Celebrity Flora. The ship was designed for the Galapagos. It’s a lovely all suite ship!

I’ve wanted to visit the Galapagos since I was 9 years old. When Covid hit and we canceled umpteen trips, I vowed I’d spend my time collecting enough points and miles to go the Galapagos. Here we are. I’d originally planned to do it via Lindblad/NatGeo using Hyatt points. But between PYB with Chase and cashing out MRs with the Charles Schwab when it was still 1.25 cents pp we were able to do this.

I’ll share more as the week goes on.

We are headed to Ireland too in June.

Our European trip ended up:
AA Premium Econ PHL to DUB
3 nights at Hyatt Centric in Dublin
Flight from DUB to LHR (still need to book)
4 nights at HR London Churchill
Train from London to Edinburgh (still need to book)
5 nights at Hilton Edinburgh Carlton
Flight from EDI to BCN (still need to book)
1 night at Cotton House in Barcelona (pre-cruise) (using AmEx FHR)
7 night RCCL Symphony of the Seas Med cruise
5 nights in Spain (post cruise) (still to plan)
AA Premium Econ BCN to PHL

For our outstanding intra-European flights has anyone used RyanAir or Vueling? They seem to have nonstops we could take. For the train to Edinburgh, how far in advance do I need to book?

We are skipping Paris this trip since I couldn’t get the hotels I wanted. We will make it there on a future trip.

Any must do’s with a 16 year old, please share! So excited that the trip is coming together!

Last edited:
I'm doing BOS to DUB on Aer Lingus in March. My 17yo is a St, Patrick's Day baby, and I promised her this trip for her 18th back when she was 5, LOL. I booked using Avios when Chase had the 30% bonus. It was a NIGHTMARE though as the points went missing in the transfer from BA to AL. It took forever to fix, many long days on hold. Finally I think my email to the CEO worked!

We're going from 3/14 to 3/19. All I can squeak out as a teacher, LOL. We'll land in Dublin at 5am. Check into a hotel at the airport to grab hopefully a few hours of sleep. Then head to Cork. My DD wants to do the Blarney Castle. Then we'll head up to the cliffs and spend 2 nights in Galway for SPD. We'll head back to Dublin for our last day/night.

It'll be fast. But hopefully we all enjoy it. My mom is joining us. And my lovely sister JUST decided she wants to join us, after I booked rooms for 3. GRRRR!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter