• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I have 2 personal and 6 biz Chase cards.
Every time I check my officers, 5 of the biz cards have very few on them (like a row and a half).
The other biz and the personals have TONS of offers (like I have to 'load more')
Anyone else experience this?
(No Staples on any of them, unfortunately)

I have 2 personal and 6 biz Chase cards.
Every time I check my officers, 5 of the biz cards have very few on them (like a row and a half).
The other biz and the personals have TONS of offers (like I have to 'load more')
Anyone else experience this?
(No Staples on any of them, unfortunately)
I've given up trying to figure out why various cards get offers. Hubby and I will have sock drawer cards that get great stuff while ones that we actually use get crap. Then, other cycles, only the regular use cards get the good offers. Mostly, I'm just glad we have enough cards in the Chase environment that we usually hit an offer on at least one of them.

Third time’s a charm! Finally got a retention offer for 15,000 MR’s for a $2000 spend in 3 months on my Amex gold. I took it! And I’m at the 30 day mark after my AF posted. Thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement! 😊

I'm entering that window in June. Presuming you have still had MRs, if you'd canceled, where would have have put them? I really want to keep my Plat and basically have decided to do so for another year even w/o a retention offer, but I presume they'd ask me what I'd plan to do with my 200k MRs. Did you have another Amex or were you going to downgrade? (My apologies because I know this has been discussed SO much here, but I'm getting my turn, first time, to do this :D)

Yes, Doc posted VGC next week at Staples

Yes fee free VGCs at staples starting Sunday..have the offer on my CIC as well 10% up to $22
Good to hear they are on starting Sunday. Disappointed we have no Staples offers on any of our 7 personal or 8 biz cards. I need GCs for actual gifts. 3 grads and party is Sunday.
ETA: On checking details, I can't use this offer. It's for $200 GCs only and I'm not looking to give that much. Lol. Such a bummer. I guess they'll be getting cash.

Last edited:
We are headed to Japan in a little over 3 weeks and headed to Tokyo Disney in a month, I was wondering if there is any benefit to DH trying to get the Hilton Aspire. We are staying 3 nights at Hilton Tokyo Bay, we haven't purchased park tickets and we booked 2 rooms (1 night cash because we didn't have enough points). Wondering if the resort credit would be beneficial here. Also looking at staying at a Hilton in June 2024 in Belize.

I'm entering that window in June. Presuming you have still had MRs, if you'd canceled, where would have have put them? I really want to keep my Plat and basically have decided to do so for another year even w/o a retention offer, but I presume they'd ask me what I'd plan to do with my 200k MRs. Did you have another Amex or were you going to downgrade? (My apologies because I know this has been discussed SO much here, but I'm getting my turn, first time, to do this :D)
I have an Amex everyday. That was my first Amex card 17 years ago. I opened it when I was doing a direct sales business and I had over 700,000 MR’s. I did not know the value of those points back then and cashed them in for gift cards. Wish I would have left them alone. If I had canceled my Amex gold, the MR’s would still show under that everyday card as they are combined.

Last edited:
Stayed at Hilton Paris Opera, wonderful doormen! just get room away from street. Old, every room is differentt, good lcation

i was there in March. I liked it better than the Hilton Trocadero. Had bottled water, staff was great. Loved being close to things, very pretty hotel. I work in Trenton NJ, go to NY so to me the number of homeless was not a factor. I saw more in Nashville this week
Agree the staff were all wonderful (with the exception below). The bellman went above and beyond when we checked out by helping us across the street with our bags and waited with us for our Uber driver. Thank goodness he did because he ended up having to call the driver because the driver went to the wrong location. Needless to say, I tipped him properly for his excellent service.

I have no complaints about the inside of the hotel, the historical nature of the building is beautiful inside. Even a room on the street side was quiet enough for us at night. The unhoused people around the hotel do not bother me either, but I included that piece of information for anyone who does consider it a safety issue. My complaint is the amount of noise/traffic which hits you the minute you step out the front door. That made it feel very stressful for me personally. While I fully understand it is a big city which comes with noise (I have lived in Manhattan), there are much quieter streets/areas within walking distance of this specific location.

And I think I may have figured out the bottled water issue. It appears the hotel may have discontinued bottled water service and replaced it with water coolers and reusable containers (I think this occurred right before/during our visit). The day we arrived there were dozens of bottles of water sitting on a table in the common area as you got off the elevator on our floor. They were never there again during our stay. There was a stainless steel water bottle in our room and the employees directed us to a water cooler by the elevators.

We checked out yesterday and I do want to add a story about our last night. We were winding down and getting ready for bed around 11:00 pm when there was a loud commotion at our door. At first we didn't realize it was at our door because our room had an inner and outer door (unique layout as PP mentioned above). It soon became clear that it was our door and that someone was trying to get in our room. We could hear the card scan unsuccessfully (because we had pressed the electric privacy lock), and someone was trying to turn the door handle forcefully and started banging on the door. The peephole wasn't an actual peephole (I found out later) so I couldn't see who was out there. I yelled something like "who is it/who are you looking for" and a woman answered incoherently. She then started yelling "Carrie, I know you are in there because I can hear you" in English with a N American accent. I assumed she was drunk and lost. So I responded "you have the wrong room, I am not Carrie. This is not your room." She started yelling incoherently again and trying the door again, so I called the front desk.

This is where it got really weird. I was basically frantic at this point and said "someone is trying to get in my room and they are banging on the door!" The guy said "yes, we are sending someone up since you still can't get in your room." I replied "No no, that is wrong we have been in our room and no one else should be allowed in our room. We don't need help getting in the room. We do not know who is trying to get into our room." He didn't seem to understand what I was saying, so I repeated that a stranger was banging on my door trying to get in. He finally said "we will send security up to check." Based on the exact exchange at that time, my nephew and I both thought it sounded like they had actually given a key to our room to someone. At this point I told my 19 yo nephew (who works out and it is very fit) to come to the door with me so I could open it. The woman was still yelling at "Carrie to open the door." I kept yelling "there is no Carrie here, you're at the wrong room." I finally opened the door slightly while yelling "you have the wrong room." When she saw me, she had a very surprised look on her face. Not sure if that was because she realized I wasn't Carrie or if she was just surprised by the fact that the door finally opened. Because her overall face and demeanor indicated she wasn't fully coherent.

In the brief glance I got of her while I opened/shut the door, it appeared she was drunk, high, and/or mentally unstable. After that she didn't yell or try to open the door again. Security never checked on us, so I have no idea why that woman was at our door. I mentioned it at the front desk the next morning and the woman said "my colleague said something about someone trying to get in a room last night, that sounded so weird." I am a well traveled former flight attendant and I have never had any type of scary experience like that before. I am definitely not saying it had anything to do with this specific hotel, but the way they handled it was not great (neither was the way I handled it). My nephew and I are still not convinced that they didn't give this woman a key to our room; we had the electronic privacy option on which would have prevented the use of any key/pass, so we will never know. In hindsight, I should have immediately called back down to the front desk to confirm what had transpired. We were just so shocked and glad that she was gone that I didn't even think to call back down. (A couple of other things in hindsight: I will always check the peephole when I check into a room to be sure it works, and I will never open the door again like I did. I will wait for security.)

We are headed to Japan in a little over 3 weeks and headed to Tokyo Disney in a month, I was wondering if there is any benefit to DH trying to get the Hilton Aspire. We are staying 3 nights at Hilton Tokyo Bay, we haven't purchased park tickets and we booked 2 rooms (1 night cash because we didn't have enough points). Wondering if the resort credit would be beneficial here. Also looking at staying at a Hilton in June 2024 in Belize.
Love, love, love the Aspire. I get such great value out of the FNC. I think it'd be worth it for the Diamond status and the FNC, plus the $250 resort credit. Careful with the credit bc it doesn't apply everywhere, but looks like Tokyo Bay is on the resort list. Use the link to double check that the filter "resort" is selected. https://www.hilton.com/en/locations/belize/?sortBy=DISTANCE&f-amenityIds=resort You're in a tight window though in that you only have about 11 months between those two trips, so you wouldn't get the $250 resort credit for both trips, but you'd have Diamond status at least for both.

You'll get a FNC in something like 8-12 weeks with the initial Aspire approval. And then one each anniversary, but that one is also delayed 8ish weeks or so, I think. So that would mean you wouldn't have FNCs for your Tokyo trip, but you'd have one FNC for Belize and my guess is one available (the anniversary one) after Belize. You might consider for P2 or yourself one of the other Hilton cards as well right now that are offering the FNC.

Agree the staff were all wonderful (with the exception below). The bellman went above and beyond when we checked out by helping us across the street with our bags and waited with us for our Uber driver. Thank goodness he did because he ended up having to call the driver because the driver went to the wrong location. Needless to say, I tipped him properly for his excellent service.

I have no complaints about the inside of the hotel, the historical nature of the building is beautiful inside. Even a room on the street side was quiet enough for us at night. The unhoused people around the hotel do not bother me either, but I included that piece of information for anyone who does consider it a safety issue. My complaint is the amount of noise/traffic which hits you the minute you step out the front door. That made it feel very stressful for me personally. While I fully understand it is a big city which comes with noise (I have lived in Manhattan), there are much quieter streets/areas within walking distance of this specific location.

And I think I may have figured out the bottled water issue. It appears the hotel may have discontinued bottled water service and replaced it with water coolers and reusable containers (I think this occurred right before/during our visit). The day we arrived there were dozens of bottles of water sitting on a table in the common area as you got off the elevator on our floor. They were never there again during our stay. There was a stainless steel water bottle in our room and the employees directed us to a water cooler by the elevators.

We checked out yesterday and I do want to add a story about our last night. We were winding down and getting ready for bed around 11:00 pm when there was a loud commotion at our door. At first we didn't realize it was at our door because our room had an inner and outer door (unique layout as PP mentioned above). It soon became clear that it was our door and that someone was trying to get in our room. We could hear the card scan unsuccessfully (because we had pressed the electric privacy lock), and someone was trying to turn the door handle forcefully and started banging on the door. The peephole wasn't an actual peephole (I found out later) so I couldn't see who was out there. I yelled something like "who is it/who are you looking for" and a woman answered incoherently. She then started yelling "Carrie, I know you are in there because I can hear you" in English with a N American accent. I assumed she was drunk and lost. So I responded "you have the wrong room, I am not Carrie. This is not your room." She started yelling incoherently again and trying the door again, so I called the front desk.

This is where it got really weird. I was basically frantic at this point and said "someone is trying to get in my room and they are banging on the door!" The guy said "yes, we are sending someone up since you still can't get in your room." I replied "No no, that is wrong we have been in our room and no one else should be allowed in our room. We don't need help getting in the room. We do not know who is trying to get into our room." He didn't seem to understand what I was saying, so I repeated that a stranger was banging on my door trying to get in. He finally said "we will send security up to check." Based on the exact exchange at that time, my nephew and I both thought it sounded like they had actually given a key to our room to someone. At this point I told my 19 yo nephew (who works out and it is very fit) to come to the door with me so I could open it. The woman was still yelling at "Carrie to open the door." I kept yelling "there is no Carrie here, you're at the wrong room." I finally opened the door slightly while yelling "you have the wrong room." When she saw me, she had a very surprised look on her face. Not sure if that was because she realized I wasn't Carrie or if she was just surprised by the fact that the door finally opened. Because her overall face and demeanor indicated she wasn't fully coherent.

In the brief glance I got of her while I opened/shut the door, it appeared she was drunk, high, and/or mentally unstable. After that she didn't yell or try to open the door again. Security never checked on us, so I have no idea why that woman was at our door. I mentioned it at the front desk the next morning and the woman said "my colleague said something about someone trying to get in a room last night, that sounded so weird." I am a well traveled former flight attendant and I have never had any type of scary experience like that before. I am definitely not saying it had anything to do with this specific hotel, but the way they handled it was not great (neither was the way I handled it). My nephew and I are still not convinced that they didn't give this woman a key to our room; we had the electronic privacy option on which would have prevented the use of any key/pass, so we will never know. In hindsight, I should have immediately called back down to the front desk to confirm what had transpired. We were just so shocked and glad that she was gone that I didn't even think to call back down. (A couple of other things in hindsight: I will always check the peephole when I check into a room to be sure it works, and I will never open the door again like I did. I will wait for security.)

That sounds very scary. I think I would have done exactly as you and then thought differently about it after the fact. I would encourage you not to rely on the peephole in the future- while you may be able to see who is standing in front of the door, what if it's an "incoherent drunk woman" scam that gets people to let their guard down and then there's people outside of your view?
I've heard of people traveling with simple rubber door stoppers. Maybe wouldn't stop someone strong looking to do you harm, but could prevent housekeeping or someone from entering your room at an inopportune time.

You can use the resort credit for the room rate, that's what we did. I'm not sure if you can charge park tickets to the room. It was cash only when I researched it for the trip 7 years ago. Do you feel it's risky not buying tickets beforehand? You're not guaranteed entry unless you booked the right to buy rate.

Do you have status to get breakfast for both rooms? Diamond will get you breakfast in the restaurant for 2 and lounge access.

In my brain I thought you had to be 25 to rent cars? Or can you get around that with purchasing full coverage from the rental company?
Depends on the company, some will waive additional fees if a member of loyalty program or other associations. Some don't charge extra after 21.
Pennsylvania. She's an AU on my Amex Gold if that helps.
PA includes state minimum liability and the Gold covers CDW and LDW. Sounds like she's covered, but not all that well with state minimums. Allianz offers single trip insurance.
Renewal fee posted April 25. If I missed the 30 day window, is it prorated?
Only if you product change. If you cancel it is not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter