I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Looks like the garbage strike in Paris is over, at least for now. It hasn't been settled, but less and less people were showing up to strike, so the collectors are back on the job without a resolution to their retirement age being changed. I suppose this could change at any time, but for now I will stick with my plan to spend 3 nights there before heading to Frankfurt to catch my Singapore Air flight in first class on the A380 (which Singapore will be retiring from this route in the next several weeks). One less thing to worry about!

Hmm maybe I need to look into CR instead... my gosh.
I'm there now. Feel free to ask any questions
Costa Rica dining is definitely cheaper than Maui, but it was still not a cheap trip by any means.
Yes, resort dining in CR for sure not cheap. Local options look better.
I've come to think it may be because his (at the time) employer is a very small business that probably didn't reply to any request for employment verification.
I don't think there's employer verification. Mine would have messed it up. I do think it's luck of the draw. DS, DH and I all applied the same day and conditional approvals were all different times. Mine took months.
I don't know if he just looks guilty or what, but I promise they search his body every time we are in the airport
Yeah, my brother in law gets that. He is Greek with dark hair and olive skin and been told he looks Arabic so...

Just arrived to Los Altos in CR this afternoon, from Andaz Papagayo. Both resorts are beautiful. I will say, first impressions, Andaz has the nicer grounds and the view from our balcony was perfect. At Los Altos the suite is very bougie, and quite huge and over the top, but we have a view of a roof top garden and can't see the ocean. It's still gorgeous but I don't think we will be sitting on the balcony as much. Plus it seems hotter at Los Altos (Manuel Antonio) than Andaz (Guancaste) so far. However, there are many restaurants nearby so we are not limited to the resort food which is the only real choice at Andaz.
It was almost exactly a 5 hour drive between the 2 resorts. We left at 8 am and arrived LA at 1:05 and we had 1 really quick bathroom stop. Our driver was very nice and no issues. The original guide I arranged everything with (Herson) pawned us off to two other guides. I think he double booked himself. Initially I was a bit ticked but it worked out fine. Juan Carlos picked us up from Liberia airport for transport to Andaz. He and his wife are the ones that drove us to LA today. Both were pleasant rides, no issues. Yesterday we had 'Adventure Day' Our guide was Mr E and he was excellent. Turns out Mr E is a former ornithologist and he did a great job pointing out flora and fauna both on the drive and during the hikes or downtime between adventures. We did ziplining, tubing, hike to a waterfall and a stop at hot springs. On the way back, he even took us to a local restaurant so we could grab some food to take back to the resort for dinner. We left the resort at 7:30 am and returned at 6:30 pm. A long and exhausting day but everyone had a great time. Mr E has his own guide service but also works with Herson and Juan Carlos. He's the guy who knows everybody, from the zip line guys to the restaurant employees. At some point I mentioned how in the US we get points for cc charges and that is how we paid and after that he made sure to let me know which places I could use a cc at. Great guy.

Just arrived to Los Altos in CR this afternoon, from Andaz Papagayo. Both resorts are beautiful. I will say, first impressions, Andaz has the nicer grounds and the view from our balcony was perfect. At Los Altos the suite is very bougie, and quite huge and over the top, but we have a view of a roof top garden and can't see the ocean. It's still gorgeous but I don't think we will be sitting on the balcony as much. Plus it seems hotter at Los Altos (Manuel Antonio) than Andaz (Guancaste) so far. However, there are many restaurants nearby so we are not limited to the resort food which is the only real choice at Andaz.
It was almost exactly a 5 hour drive between the 2 resorts. We left at 8 am and arrived LA at 1:05 and we had 1 really quick bathroom stop. Our driver was very nice and no issues. The original guide I arranged everything with (Herson) pawned us off to two other guides. I think he double booked himself. Initially I was a bit ticked but it worked out fine. Juan Carlos picked us up from Liberia airport for transport to Andaz. He and his wife are the ones that drove us to LA today. Both were pleasant rides, no issues. Yesterday we had 'Adventure Day' Our guide was Mr E and he was excellent. Turns out Mr E is a former ornithologist and he did a great job pointing out flora and fauna both on the drive and during the hikes or downtime between adventures. We did ziplining, tubing, hike to a waterfall and a stop at hot springs. On the way back, he even took us to a local restaurant so we could grab some food to take back to the resort for dinner. We left the resort at 7:30 am and returned at 6:30 pm. A long and exhausting day but everyone had a great time. Mr E has his own guide service but also works with Herson and Juan Carlos. He's the guy who knows everybody, from the zip line guys to the restaurant employees. At some point I mentioned how in the US we get points for cc charges and that is how we paid and after that he made sure to let me know which places I could use a cc at. Great guy.
OMG sounds awesome! I want to go!!

Is there any reason not to use Plastiq with a CIU to pay property taxes? Other than the fee lol.

They only take a check, sadly. I haven't used plastiq for awhile but I dusted off my old account and had them send a check.
Unless it's for reaching a CIU SUB, you'd lose money on the transaction since 2.9%>1.5%. There are certain cards I would use on Plastiq despite the fee, but only if it would help meet certain goals (Hyatt Globalist, Hyatt FNC, SW CP, that sort of thing).

Fortunately my county allows payment with a CC & the fee is less than Plastiq. I wish I were lucky enough to find it on PayPal bill pay though.

I registered for the Bilt/Hyatt Globalist promotion, don’t know if I’ll go for Globalist but it only take 20 nights for those that have reservations 4/17-7/16. You don’t need a Bilt card just a Bilt account. Promotion registration ends tonight.

Sorry you can’t see the ocean from your balcony 🙁 we were in 23A and had that partial view. I hope you enjoy the resort. Those “rooms” are so huge. I was always like “wow” every time I was walking down the hallway.
I registered for the Bilt/Hyatt Globalist promotion, don’t know if I’ll go for Globalist but it only take 20 nights for those that have reservations 4/17-7/16. You don’t need a Bilt card just a Bilt account. Promotion registration ends tonight.
I was actually coming here to report this. I have 10 nights booked in this time frame so figure I should sign up and get Explorist, I mean why not. Doubt I’ll go for Globalist, but seems like a great opportunity for some.

Hello!

I am not really a credit card churner, but looking into getting a new card just for a nice reward as I'm planning a trip to Ireland in September. Specifically, I'd be interested in a card with no foreign transaction fees,

Outside this trip, I don't tend to travel a whole lot, so the card wouldn't necessarily need to be a travel card, but something with good rewards. The only other credit card I have is a Amex Blue Cash Everyday card that I have had for years. I pay all balances off every month and have never been charged interest on the card. Any suggestions on a good card with good rewards that doesn't have foreign transaction fees?

ETA - I have "Excellent" credit according to Credit Karma.

+1 for Carmines. We normally stay at the Conrad in midtown when we go to NY. Have our third stay coming up there in May to see Hamilton with some friends.
Carmines is on the list! And Hamilton will be required- she knows every.single.line and the soundtrack stays on repeat on her playlist. 😁 I checked out the lottery and am super excited about adding those show possibilities!

Thanks for posting this! I've got several stays at Hyatts throughout the spring and summer and I've been lamenting losing my Globalist status. This sounds like a great solution!

Do reservations booked with points count towards the nights to make Discoverist or Globalist? I’m new to Bilt and have a few nights so far booked at Hyatt but I booked using points.

I have a question on downgrading the Amex Platinum to Gold. I had the gold for a few years and last August I upgraded to Plat for a 100K offer. At that time the AF was prorated and now last week the fee for the next year has hit. Am I correct that I cannot downgrade to Gold for at least a year? If I do so in August will the Plat fee then be adjusted? Also, probably no offers at this point to keep the Plat? Sorry for all the questions, but the plan was always to just keep the Plat for a year. Thanks!

I don't think there's employer verification. Mine would have messed it up. I do think it's luck of the draw. DS, DH and I all applied the same day and conditional approvals were all different times. Mine took months.

Yeah -- that makes sense. The gov can validate his W2 and tax filings, no need to have add'l validation as compared to a mortgage I suppose).

Hello!

I am not really a credit card churner, but looking into getting a new card just for a nice reward as I'm planning a trip to Ireland in September. Specifically, I'd be interested in a card with no foreign transaction fees,

Outside this trip, I don't tend to travel a whole lot, so the card wouldn't necessarily need to be a travel card, but something with good rewards. The only other credit card I have is a Amex Blue Cash Everyday card that I have had for years. I pay all balances off every month and have never been charged interest on the card. Any suggestions on a good card with good rewards that doesn't have foreign transaction fees?

ETA - I have "Excellent" credit according to Credit Karma.
How deep into the game do you want to go? And what kind of rewards are you looking for? Just about every AMEX that has an annual fee has no FTF. Personal preference would be the AMEX Gold, but AMEX is less accepted in Europe so I'd also look at the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Reserve.
What Credit Karma tells you doesn't matter. You can get your actual score from AMEX. Under Account Services, Payment and Credit Options, View FICO Score.
I have a question on downgrading the Amex Platinum to Gold. I had the gold for a few years and last August I upgraded to Plat for a 100K offer. At that time the AF was prorated and now last week the fee for the next year has hit. Am I correct that I cannot downgrade to Gold for at least a year? If I do so in August will the Plat fee then be adjusted? Also, probably no offers at this point to keep the Plat? Sorry for all the questions, but the plan was always to just keep the Plat for a year. Thanks!
Yes, if you downgrade before a full year, AMEX could claw back the bonus and theoretically even shut you down completely. If you downgrade at exactly a year, you will get a pro-rated refund of the difference between the two annual fees. I would wait until the next AF hits, then ask for a retention offer before downgrading.

I have a few questions about Chase bonuses and Southwest. DW and I received Southwest bonuses around July 2021. I've heard that if you aren't eligible for a bonus Chase will deny you for a card. This would lead me to think if you're approved you're eligible for a bonus. Is this true? Also, can I book flights as cash and then change to points and companion pass at a later time?

I have a few questions about Chase bonuses and Southwest. DW and I received Southwest bonuses around July 2021. I've heard that if you aren't eligible for a bonus Chase will deny you for a card. This would lead me to think if you're approved you're eligible for a bonus. Is this true? Also, can I book flights as cash and then change to points and companion pass at a later time?
I don't believe Chase will deny you for a card if you're ineligible for a bonus. I don't even think they tell you like AMEX does if you're not eligible.
You would have to cancel the flights booked with cash and then re-book with points and a CP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter