I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ha what hotel?
the hyatt here is party central (not at the hyatt but around there)
I have been looking at the Sirata, and was also looking at the SandPearl (I think) and a Hilton down that way in Clearwater. The Sirata is much more affordable.
I looked at the Don Cesar, yeah, not a chance in heck.
Don't want party central, at all, would like to be able to walk to dinner/bar, and maybe shops/gift shops?

Last edited:
So, my Dad just applied for a CIU for my Mom using a referral from one of his cards. He called me to walk him through the app and everything sounded right. When he submitted the application he said the screen said “Offer Unavailable” but closed it before I asked him to screenshot it. Anyone have any ideas as to what might have happened? Hoping it was a mistake on his end. I was just auto-approved for a CIU last week with no issues.

I've seen people post about the same happening to them and it seems like a glitch. Most report that, though there isn't any indication, the app does go through and their credit is pulled. So I would just sit tight and wait a bit for a card to pop up in his account or a letter. Here's a couple people posting about the same issue, even posting that they did receive the support points.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...t-page-for-addl-details.3821593/post-62686202

I have been looking at the Sirata, and was also looking at the SandPearl (I think) and a Hilton down that way in Clearwater. The Sirata is much more affordable.
I looked at the Don Cesar, yeah, not a chance in heck.
Don't want party central, at all, would like to be able to walk to dinner/bar, and maybe shops/gift shops?
AHH at first I thought you said Clearwater! (this is what i get for sending work emails and checking this thread). The only hotel I've been to there is the Beachcomber it was ok nothing to write home about.

Good to know, thanks! I've looked at that one but was scared off by the reviews. Harder to use the cat 1-4 FNCs around here now that the Hyatt Regency Monterey and Hyatt Place Santa Cruz are cat 5. I've been trying to fit the FNCs into existing trips where I can.

We would have stayed there earlier in the year but for those reviews. The one where a Globalist was trying to get their points or FNC back because the service was so terrible didn't help. I'd say it's perfectly fine, especially when you aren't paying anything to stay there. DH and I decided to take a chance with the idea that if it was really that bad we would just drive home.

They have a decent pool at the hotel. The Globalist breakfast was a small but (for us at least) quite adequate buffet. They said they upgraded us, but TBH I couldn't tell and the hotel wasn't at all full so they could have given us a suite but didn't. We didn't push it because it was just the 2 of us and it was only one night. Check-in didn't take long (the reviews made us think it might take 30+ minutes). The museum was really cute if you haven't been there yet. Much smaller than the WDF one but quite charming.

I've seen people post about the same happening to them and it seems like a glitch. Most report that, though there isn't any indication, the app does go through and their credit is pulled. So I would just sit tight and wait a bit for a card to pop up in his account or a letter. Here's a couple people posting about the same issue, even posting that they did receive the support points.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...t-page-for-addl-details.3821593/post-62686202
Awesome. Thanks so much for the info. I had never heard of this.

The SF Fairmont is an amazing property. I love it.

Haven't stayed at any of these, but this article's summary of the hotels might help, as each of your three choices has a spot on the list. https://theluxurytravelexpert.com/2021/03/08/top-10-best-hotels-san-francisco/

I tend to prefer a boutique hotel. And since you'd likely get a food and beverage credit, you may want to research the restaurants on site at each to help with your decision?

Yes, you can book one night in each of your names, assuming you are booking a FHR collection hotel. If you are booking a Hotel Collection, then I think you need two nights to get the $200 Amex credit. Request that the hotel link the reservations so that you don't have to check in and out. Because you are booking in two different names, you will likely each get the $100 hotel credit, but know that sometimes hotels don't like to do that if the reservations are linked.

Also, you might want to research any hotel fees if that helps narrow things down.

Thank you both!

I don't remember calling Barclay's to close my last AA Biz cards. Now they won't close via secure message and I and DH have to call. Uggh. Mine not so bad.
Both cards closed. Uggh. Mine seemed harder as I had to be transferred during the call to a special compared to when DH :rotfl2:called in, it was all handed through one person.

I am about to book an overnight trip to Legoland New York. It is non-refundable. They have a protection plan that cost 10% which allows you cancel or switch dates. It would be a little over $100 to do this. I’m mostly considered with weather. Getting rained out or a hurricane.
I am so used to Disney which works with you if weather cancels your trip. Should I get get the protection? I really hate spending $100+ when nothing will probably happen to cancel it. But then I really don’t want to lose $1100 if it is pouring rain that weekend.

What do you smarter, savy travelers do?

I am not a smart or savy traveler lol but I always book refundable hotels, which obviously cost more. I've had to change or cancel so many travel plans over the years that I am chicken to go for the cheaper nonrefundable rooms, even though I hate to pay more. So, in other words, my fear of losing the entire $$ > my desire to pay the lowest rate.

Congrats on finding this hobby and making great use of it!

The recommended velocity for Chase is 1 card every 3 months, so if you have already opened two in the past three months, it wouldn't be recommended to open another Chase card right now. Chase is an important player for many people, so you definitely don't want to end up on the naughty list. Do you have a P2 who could alternate opening cards with you?

Unfortunatey, you can't book via cash and then switch to points with most programs. A room has to be available on points at the time of booking. What I often do with IHG though is purchase points when they are running a points promotion with a 100% bonus, which ends up $.005 per point. I would do the math and see if it makes sense to purchase points vs the cash rate.

FWIW, the current IHG promotion is a good one. 140k points + FNC. Perhaps if you do have a P2 you could take advantage of this good SUB.
So total bummer, I have not been following these Boards as I should and missed the 5/24 rule for Chase. I applied for Chase UR April 2021, and then applied for Freedom and SW both in May 2022 - stupid move! How long would this group before going after another Chase card? I'd like to apply for the IHG card this October so that I can book a room with points by January 2023.

@pinkxray just saw your post - have you checked an outside provider, like travelinsurance.com? We rented DVC points for our WDW trip this past May and I insured our trip - went on there and compared plans. Ended up getting a "cancel for any reason" policy to cover the cost of our room and tickets and it ended up being about $200 for a trip worth $3600. If $100 seems too steep, you may be able to find a better rate. Just make sure to read on what is covered.

Or - if you have the Sapphire card - perhaps if you book using that it would include insurance?

Just some ideas!

So total bummer, I have not been following these Boards as I should and missed the 5/24 rule for Chase. I applied for Chase UR April 2021, and then applied for Freedom and SW both in May 2022 - stupid move! How long would this group before going after another Chase card? I'd like to apply for the IHG card this October so that I can book a room with points by January 2023.
So are you 3/24?
CSP 4/21
CF 5/22
SW 5/22

You should be okay to apply for another Chase card, but just to be safe I would wait until next month.

If those are the only 3 cards you have applied for you seem to be 3/24….if you gave applied for personal cards from other issuers those also count towards 5/24.
Depending on when in May you applied for the 2 chase cards…you may be good to apply for another one…or you can wait until September

WWDD?

I am rebooking out Hilton Tokyo Bay because points are incredible, 94K for 3 nights in a standard room, but for that price I would like to book 2 room for a total of 188K. We have 160K Hilton points + FNC. It would be dumb to use the FNC on a 36K night reservation, but that means we are 28K points short for the second room. I can transfer 14K MRs to complete the reservation or use the FNC, we don't have any plans to use the FNC. But we also have 2 Hyatt FNC cat 1-4 that we need to use up before summer 2023, so it might be smart to save the Hilton FNC and plan something soon for spring 2023.

Would it be smart to transfer 14K MRs?

WWDD?

I am rebooking out Hilton Tokyo Bay because points are incredible, 94K for 3 nights in a standard room, but for that price I would like to book 2 room for a total of 188K. We have 160K Hilton points + FNC. It would be dumb to use the FNC on a 36K night reservation, but that means we are 28K points short for the second room. I can transfer 14K MRs to complete the reservation or use the FNC, we don't have any plans to use the FNC. But we also have 2 Hyatt FNC cat 1-4 that we need to use up before summer 2023, so it might be smart to save the Hilton FNC and plan something soon for spring 2023.

If you have no use for the fnc I would use it. With the caveat that if you have to cancel you'd still have time to use it.

Trying to figure this out as well. I won't have use for my hilton or hyatt fnc outside of what's already booked. I'll see if I can use Hilton for Nov if there's still rooms and they can cancel and rebook it. Otherwise hopefully the expiration is out far enough I can use it in Osaka since it'll prob have higher points than Tokyo Bay.

Hyatt I've no idea what I'll do. I'll earn one in Feb for hitting 5 dif brands. But I'm sure I won't get it before my March trip and that would also depend on being able to cancel/rebook. And this cert is only good for 6 months right? None of my Japan hotels are below a cat 5 after the shuffle.

WWDD?

How much is the cash rate? I value MRs at 1.1 cpp and Hilton at 0.45 cpp, so if cash rate is more than $190, sure I'd do the transfer. If it's less, then I'd just book the cash rate for 1 room, 1 night. If you get more Hilton points later and the points rate stays low, you can always cancel the cash reservation and book with points.

I would have a hard time using the FNC for this. Would rack my brain to figure out some other way to maximize it more. If I really, REALLY, could find no way and I was going to lose it, then I guess I'd have to lol.

Hyatt I've no idea what I'll do. I'll earn one in Feb for hitting 5 dif brands. But I'm sure I won't get it before my March trip and that would also depend on being able to cancel/rebook. And this cert is only good for 6 months right? None of my Japan hotels are below a cat 5 after the shuffle.

The Brand Explorer FNC expiration is 1 year. Only the 30 night milestone (and the Bonus Journey promo they had last year) are 180 days.

It was making me so confused I put it on my spreadsheet lol.

How much is the cash rate? I value MRs at 1.1 cpp and Hilton at 0.45 cpp, so if cash rate is more than $190, sure I'd do the transfer. If it's less, then I'd just book the cash rate for 1 room, 1 night. If you get more Hilton points later and the points rate stays low, you can always cancel the cash reservation and book with points.

I would have a hard time using the FNC for this. Would rack my brain to figure out some other way to maximize it more. If I really, REALLY, could find no way and I was going to lose it, then I guess I'd have to lol.
Oh wow, I really don't like paying cash so didn't even think about that, but the cash rate for one night is only $82, I think I'll book one night cash for the second room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter