I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They want the disney park experience. Plus we're not vaxxed so no cruises for us.

Well Spirit was $900! If that gives you an idea on insane prices, LOL. I mean I guess on Spirit I'd just need to buy 2 tickets (I would non-rev), but still $1800 on "3 tickets" is A LOT!
A brief look at SW shows $500 flights first week of April but no idea when break is. However, I wouldn't go unvaxxed to WDW.

I did apply 10/28 but the card didn't appear in my account until 11/5. Card didn't arrive until 11/15 or so. Not a lot of time until first closing.
Your account opening date will show up on the APP under your new account bonus. At least it shows on my personal SW priority card if you scroll down past transactions.

DS turned 13 and I got him his first Amex AU card on DH's plat. Tried to set up an online account for him, but I seem to have gotten locked out (temporarily denied access message). Not sure what I did wrong. I tried to chat from DH's account to get them to reset it, but they want to talk to DS. I guess I need to have DH call and have DS stand by?

Anyone know if it'll eventually reset by itself?
Congrats on having an Amex AU! I know you've been looking forward to it! 😄

The first time I got an AU card for DD, Amex wouldn't let me set up an online account (it wouldn't accept her SSN). I let it go, and the card eventually got canceled (or so I thought).

The next time, I ended up calling in to get her set up. I needed a username, SSN confirmation (verbally), and an email address for her. Interestingly, the card I thought was canceled was sitting in her account once I logged in. 🤷‍♀️ Sometimes her cards have better offers than mine or DH's!

My AF for my Am Ex Plat just posted. Do I have to call for retention offer or can I chat with them? I'd love to not have to call.

Back from a relaxing week on the Big Island. We stayed for a week at the Hilton Grand Vacations Club Kings’ Land on timeshare exchange. Since it was cheaper to fly back a day later, I added one night at the Westin Hapuna using Bonvoy points.

I was on the fence about keeping DH’s Brilliant. Was hoping to get the 60k no spend retention offer, but only got the 20k with $1500 spend. The AF posted and since we can use the credit right away, decided to take the offer.

I put reviews here:
HGVC Kings' Land
Westin Hapuna Beach

Since we’ve been to the Big Island a few times, we mostly relaxed. We did do 2 excursions. One was the Kealakekua Bay snorkel tour with Fair Winds. DH and I did the morning version of this tour some years ago. We did the afternoon version this time to not have to wake up early and it’s cheaper lol. The morning tour includes lunch. Afternoon tour is only water and snacks (purple sweet potato chips and pineapple). Soft drinks can be purchased for $1. Still a great tour. Nice smooth and scenic ride out to the bay. Then snorkeling in the calm, clear waters. DH and DD stayed in longer and even saw schools of fish. DH and DS tried out the slides in the back of the boat. Pretty big drop though, so DD and I didn’t try it lol.

AB15C6D9-56A2-4A2B-9C93-6C8A78965DEF.jpeg

The second one was ziplining at The Umauma Experience. First time ziplining for me. It was so much fun!! Even though I’m a little scared of heights lol. We did the 9-line tour. First 4 are dual lines, which makes the wait for everyone to go through must faster. Lines 5-7 are consecutive, one after the other. The 4th line was my favorite - over the river and waterfalls. So scenic!

72824F63-4349-4E7B-84BD-6CD2ED3B9690.jpeg

We went along the north shore to get from Waikoloa to the ziplining. Some sections reminded me of the Road to Hana on Maui, though with much wider roads lol. After ziplining, we went to Hilo Farmer’s Market. Wed and Sat are the Big Market days, so I specifically planned for that. We bought some delicious longans and papayas. The souvenir shopping was great too. I felt like they had a good variety of unique and local things. Some vendors only take cash or will do no tax. I specifically brought cash along for this and then I left most of it at the hotel. I also forgot to bring my Schwab ATM card that gives ATM fee reimbursement. 😓

We then went to Two Ladies Kitchen to get mochi. They used to be cash only, so we used an out-of-network ATM for $4.50 in fees for both sides (I hate fees). Then when I got to the front of the line, I see that they now take cc. :faint: After that, we went to Big Island Candies to buy chocolate dipped macadamia nut cookies. Then bought some food at the KTA supermarket (good poke) and drove back to Waikoloa along Saddle Road. A nicely planned day, if I do say so myself. 😆

EBEAC206-0702-4788-BDD1-0AC183C75C83.jpeg

Congrats on having an Amex AU! I know you've been looking forward to it! 😄

The first time I got an AU card for DD, Amex wouldn't let me set up an online account (it wouldn't accept her SSN). I let it go, and the card eventually got canceled (or so I thought).

The next time, I ended up calling in to get her set up. I needed a username, SSN confirmation (verbally), and an email address for her. Interestingly, the card I thought was canceled was sitting in her account once I logged in. 🤷‍♀️ Sometimes her cards have better offers than mine or DH's!

Thank you! This is really helpful. I'll have DH call.

I'm really hoping he'll get some of the cruise offers we didn't get! I have a feeling the RCCL ones might be "sold out". But maybe the Carnival or NCL ones. 🤞

It depends on when you first got the card. Cardholders who applied before May of 2017 have a calendar year benefit. They made a change at that time that any new applications the TC goes by cardmember year. Usually recommended to check in the UR portal for which statement your TC will reset.
I've had the card for less than two weeks. So I should be good to use my 2021-2022 credit early next year.

DS turned 13 and I got him his first Amex AU card on DH's plat. Tried to set up an online account for him, but I seem to have gotten locked out (temporarily denied access message). Not sure what I did wrong. I tried to chat from DH's account to get them to reset it, but they want to talk to DS. I guess I need to have DH call and have DS stand by?

Anyone know if it'll eventually reset by itself?
Congrats to your DS! It always a big day when they get their first AmEx card!

DS’s SSN wasn’t working on his first AmEx card (even though I was taking it directly from his SSN card) so I had to call in to resolve. I would say he is minor and you are happy to answer any questions.

Tipping question--having two couches delivered Thursday. I would like the white glove delivery (which happens to be a local moving company) to move one of the current couches to an upstairs bonus room and the second to the garage until I can get a local charity to pick up. How much should I offer them? I was initially thinking $20 each but I would have tipped at least $10 each for the delivery so that seems too low. $40 each?

WWYD?
P1 (me)
11/2020 CSP
4/2021 CIU
10/2021 Am Ex Bonvoy Biz (almost done with MSR, waiting to finish until December statement close)
11/21 SW Personal (still need to do all 12k to meet spend req)

P2 (reluctant)
11/2020 CSP (auth user)
7/2021 CSP

Authorized user on biz cards above

Usual organic spend 2500-3k/month, however due to some medical bills, vacation plans, insurance, I will have around 9k in extra spend within the next month. Not interested in manufactured spend

Considering companion pass but don't need it until mid 2022 at the earliest. Will have 111k RR's from current card after meeting MSR. For the remainder could either open biz card (preferred route), or refer P2.

Trying to decide which card to get next. I don't want to spend on the Southwest card until after December statement close so I can get closer to companion pass with that already. At least 6k of the upcoming spend will for sure be at small businesses and so I am considering adding the AE Personal Plat via the Resy offer with 125k MR's and 15x at small businesses, but that annual fee has me a little scared off. I will theoretically get to triple dip the benefits, however that is kind of icing as I am not exactly a Saks and Fine Hotels and Resorts kind of gal, (but don't get me wrong I would use the benefits). I believe I would likely spend around 10k total at small biz and dining over the life of the offer.

Recently I started flying about once a month out of Oakland, San Francisco, San Jose, or Sacramento, depending on who has the best flight times for the $$ to get me to the Chattanooga area (sometimes flying into Chattanooga, sometimes flying into Nashville, if I can't get a flight for a decent price to Chattanooga). Airlines that can get me between my area and CHA are American, Delta, and United (as far as I know). We also plan to take a trip to WDW in January 2023 and currently looks like we would fly United or Alaska for that as they are the only two airlines offering direct flights from this area to MCO. We are tentatively planning use Bonvoy points and FNC to stay at Swan/Dolphin and I have considered adding a stay at Portofino to do Universal as well using the FHR credit (possibly having that be two of my triple dip benefits, by booking and prepaying for one night in late 2022 and then in early 2023 prepaying for the other night, hopefully before the annual fee has to be paid a second time). Does all that make sense?

Which would you do? Skip the platinum for velocity's sake and just use a non-MSR card for the December spending (and then get the Southwest biz card in February-ish), or should I go for the platinum for the MR's and risk Chase deciding I have gotten too many new cards when I go to add the SW biz card in April-ish?

Tipping question--having two couches delivered Thursday. I would like the white glove delivery (which happens to be a local moving company) to move one of the current couches to an upstairs bonus room and the second to the garage until I can get a local charity to pick up. How much should I offer them? I was initially thinking $20 each but I would have tipped at least $10 each for the delivery so that seems too low. $40 each?

I think we tipped the guy that delivered a recliner 20 so he'd also take the old one out to the street which I put a free sign on. It was gone within an hour. One of the few advantages to living on a busy street. $40 sounds good since you have two you want moved.

Totally separate topic, there's a water main break down the street, so no water which I discovered when I tried to fill a pot with water for noodles. All I wanted for dinner was noodles with some butter, which I don't want to do now with bottled water. But it's all I can think of and I've no idea what to eat instead. I also don't want to make a mess of dishes that I can't rinse out. The guy that called me back didn't have an estimate on when they'll be done fixing it. At least I can walk out to the street later to see if they are still there, or just try and turn the water on I guess :)

WWYD?
P1 (me)
11/2020 CSP
4/2021 CIU
10/2021 Am Ex Bonvoy Biz (almost done with MSR, waiting to finish until December statement close)

P2 (reluctant)
11/2020 CSP (auth user)
7/2021 CSP

Usual organic spend 2500-3k/month, however due to some medical bills, vacation plans, insurance, I will have around 9k in extra spend within the next month. Not interested in manufactured spend

Considering companion pass but don't need it until mid 2022 at the earliest. Will have 111k RR's from current card after meeting MSR. For the remainder could either open biz card (preferred route), or refer P2.

Trying to decide which card to get next. I don't want to spend on the Southwest card until after December statement close so I can get closer to companion pass with that already. At least 6k of the upcoming spend will for sure be at small businesses and so I am considering adding the AE Personal Plat via the Resy offer with 125k MR's and 15x at small businesses, but that annual fee has me a little scared off. I will theoretically get to triple dip the benefits, however that is kind of icing as I am not exactly a Saks and Fine Hotels and Resorts kind of gal, (but don't get me wrong I would use the benefits). I believe I would likely spend around 10k total at small biz and dining over the life of the offer.

Recently I started flying about once a month out of Oakland, San Francisco, San Jose, or Sacramento, depending on who has the best flight times for the $$ to get me to the Chattanooga area (sometimes flying into Chattanooga, sometimes flying into Nashville, if I can't get a flight for a decent price to Chattanooga). Airlines that can get me between my area and CHA are American, Delta, and United (as far as I know). We also plan to take a trip to WDW in January 2023 and currently looks like we would fly United or Alaska for that as they are the only two airlines offering direct flights from this area to MCO. We are tentatively planning use Bonvoy points and FNC to stay at Swan/Dolphin and I have considered adding a stay at Portofino to do Universal as well using the FHR credit (possibly having that be two of my triple dip benefits, by booking and prepaying for one night in late 2022 and then in early 2023 prepaying for the other night, hopefully before the annual fee has to be paid a second time). Does all that make sense?

Which would you do? Skip the platinum for velocity's sake and just use a non-MSR card for the December spending (and then get the Southwest biz card in February-ish), or should I go for the platinum for the MR's and risk Chase deciding I have gotten too many new cards when I go to add the SW biz card in April-ish?

It's triple dip season, so I would definitely get a card with an airline credit. P2 has room for a Hilton Aspire (or the Resy Plat). I know you mentioned Marriott, but if their award chart changes in March 2022 leave you hanging, having a bunch of Hilton points and a resort credit gives you some backup. The Aspire credits cover the AF and if you keep it then the status and FNC (uncapped) are just cherries on top.

WWYD?
P1 (me)
11/2020 CSP
4/2021 CIU

P2 (reluctant)
11/2020 CSP (auth user)
7/2021 CSP

I would totally go for it! Chase doesn't really care about cards you get with other issuers (besides 5/24). Looks like you're 2/24, this would be worth a slot. MRs can be transferred to Delta or Avios to book AA (though I think it needs to be a SAAver fare).

With a plat, you can get into the Centurion Lounge at SFO and the Escape Lounge in OAK. At SJC, there are 2 locations of The Club that you can access with the Priority Pass (only one is open at the moment).

WWYD?
P1 (me)
11/2020 CSP
4/2021 CIU

P2 (reluctant)
11/2020 CSP (auth user)
7/2021 CSP

Also agree you should go for the Plat. Your velocity looks fine to me. I know you said P2 is reluctant, but if you are getting the Plat, it seems a shame to miss out on this opportunity that ends tomorrow: https://frequentmiler.com/last-chance-deals/ If you look back the last ten or so pages, we discussed this opportunity here quite a bit.

It's the worst not to have an MSR- seems almost like a sin in my book.

I’d go with your more generous impulse—I can honestly say that I’ve never regretted tipping movers or delivery people (or really anyone) too much but I have occasionally regretted tipping too little.

Until 12/31/2021 you can use the credit towards gas and groceries
I got the card in November 2021 so into 2022 I can use it for travel right? I was planning on using it for a trip in June 2022. We've paid the down payment and I was going to use the CSR for the final payment. The down payment was with a travel agent and coded as travel so I assume the final payment with the same agency will also code as travel and trigger the credit.

I recently received a retention offer on my Amex Personal Platinum for 55k points after $4k spent.

I also received an offer to add an AU: 20k points after $2k is spent on the AU card.

Can I double-dip here? That is, put $2k on the AU card and have that count towards both the AU $2k and the retention $4k?

I recently received a retention offer on my Amex Personal Platinum for 55k points after $4k spent.

I also received an offer to add an AU: 20k points after $2k is spent on the AU card.

Can I double-dip here? That is, put $2k on the AU card and have that count towards both the AU $2k and the retention $4k?

Yes. Been reading about people doing this on reddit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter