• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my never ending, covid-era hobby of planning phantom trips, I thought that Ireland would be a nice 10-day trip next summer. I've heard many of you mention the high fees to fly into London but I found the same fees (all classes) flying into Dublin (and Rome, Berlin, Brussels, although Madrid was about half the fees) even if the flight was an AA flight not going through London. For flights to Paris, those same high fees for Economy but not for Premium Economy. Anyone know why Premium wouldn't have the fees while Economy on the same plane would have the fees? And is this surcharge for booking with AA on points now across Europe? Makes it not worth it for economy points flights to Europe.

Those 3 cities sound magical in winter. Are you only focusing on those 3 or will you be visiting some of the smaller cities markets?
Have you looked at Amsterdam? I booked AA flights to AMS for $5.60, return was out of MAD economy fees were $60ish. Trip never happened.

Anyone get the Carnival Amex offers? Saw it reported on the Cruise Critic forum. There's one for $400 back on $1500 with Carnival brands (includes Princess, Holland America, Seabourn and Cunard) - might be labeled something like World's Leading Cruise Lines if it's like before. Also one specific to Carnival $150 back on $500.

I couldn't find it on any of my or DH's cards. 🙁 I wonder if they don't target any account that has ever made a Carnival payment.

Between DH, DS and myself, we have the $400 back on $1500 and two of the $150 back on $500. I also saw the post on cruise critic and read through everything. One thing I didn't know was that you can combine multiple payments to use this offer. Someone on there was also saying that it wouldn't work if your cruise was already booked. I have two booked and if I finish paying everything on both (including gratuities and wifi) it will come up a little over the $500 amount. I'll probably go ahead and try it though because another poster was saying that it worked for them on already booked cruises.

I was notified that My SWA credit card now includes two free EBCI. I have a trip this weekend. Anyone know how I would go about using the new option? If this is not the right Post would you please direct me to where I should post this? Hoping someone who frequents here would know how to use this new benefit. If I go to my SWA reservation it shows I would still have to pay to add EBCI. Thanks for any information

If your trip is this weekend It may not be worth getting since the boarding passes are assigned based on the date it’s purchased…
But you would pay for the EBCI with your SW card, the EBCI cost would be reimbursed to the card.

I have the SWA rapid reward PLUS card. But I wouldn't be opposed to opening the Priority or Premier. Would I be able to apply for this new 100,000 offer if I already am a member with the just the PLUS card? I can'do the companion pass by getting my hubby to open a new card,it would just be easier to go to a new type of Card if that is a possiblilty also. We are lucky that we live in Baltimore so we use SWA a lot so i want the best option to work towards the Companion pass again for 2022/23. Thanks for any advice.
You'll need to cancel your Plus card, and wait 30 days before opening up another Southwest personal card since you can't have more than one personal SW card at a time. Oddly enough, you can have more than one biz SW card, just not the personal ones. [ETA: well, it is possible if you do a MDD.] If you end up applying for the Plus again, just be sure that you haven't received the SUB on that card in the past 24 months. If you have, then apply for either the Premier or Priority. I just looked at the T&C, and you can't have gotten a SUB on any personal SW card in the past 24 months.
Thank you! That makes sense about a statement credit though I sure wish they would have that written somewhere. Also they don't say in what time period the two "free" ones are for. It is annually or based on your anniversary date when you get your anniversary points? Thats why I want to know the timing of the two free. I plan to get my Hubby a new card for the new 100K offer which means I will in effect be cancelling this card as I will place all bills and spending on the new card so I hit the bonus in January (im very careful not to spend on the card until I know the bonus will hit in January! ) so If I have two left on this card I might as well use them I suppose. And it would be nice not to worry about them on my return trip while at Disney next week. Hopefully we will be on a ride at 24 check in time!
It's based on anniversary date. Since Chase rolled out the new benefits yesterday and has sent out emails about them, I'm guessing they are immediately available for use.

If I'm understanding you right, you're planning on your DH getting the CP? If so, I think the best plan is for you to wait until the new SUB offer link is available from your SW Plus card (it usually takes a few days whenever Chase rolls out a new SUB on a product) and then have your DH apply through your link so that you get the 20K RR bonus. Use up your EBCIs for your return trip, because I agree you don't want to be worrying about that while you're on a ride.* When your card anniversary passes, wait for your anniversary points to post before canceling your card if canceling is what you want to do. You can cancel a Chase card within 30 days of the annual fee posting and get a full refund of the annual fee.

Now if you're thinking that you'll go for the CP yourself, instead of your DH getting it, then you for sure will need to cancel your card at least 30 days prior to applying for a new SW card of any flavor.

The advantage of your DH getting the CP is the extra 20K RR into your account if you can generate the support link with the 100K offer. I expect someone here will post when it goes live.

*You still need to check-in, but not exactly at T-24. EBCI boarding position will be assigned at T-24, and you'll find out what that is whenever you get around to checking in.

Last edited:
Thank you! That makes sense about a statement credit though I sure wish they would have that written somewhere. Also they don't say in what time period the two "free" ones are for. It is annually or based on your anniversary date when you get your anniversary points? Thats why I want to know the timing of the two free. I plan to get my Hubby a new card for the new 100K offer which means I will in effect be cancelling this card as I will place all bills and spending on the new card so I hit the bonus in January (im very careful not to spend on the card until I know the bonus will hit in January! ) so If I have two left on this card I might as well use them I suppose. And it would be nice not to worry about them on my return trip while at Disney next week. Hopefully we will be on a ride at 24 check in time!
They are probably based on your card anniversary, that’s how my upgraded boardings work so if you are going to cancel the card soon May as well use them

If your trip is this weekend It may not be worth getting since the boarding passes are assigned based on the date it’s purchased…
But you would pay for the EBCI with your SW card, the EBCI cost would be reimbursed to the card.
Thank you! I figure that it may not be beneficial on way down as I can check in here, but if its free I wouldn't mind not having to worry about checking in while at MK!!

Anyone know of any Marriotts in the DC/NoVA/MD area that sell GC? I snagged a couple during the Daily Getaways today but also have the AmEx offer on 2 cards. Have to drop DH off at Dulles this weekend, I called 2 Marriotts near there and 2 near Reagan, no luck.

You'll need to cancel your Plus card, and wait 30 days before opening up another Southwest personal card since you can't have more than one personal SW card at a time. Oddly enough, you can have more than one biz SW card, just not the personal ones. [ETA: well, it is possible if you do a MDD.]If you end up applying for the Plus again, just be sure that you haven't received the SUB on that card in the past 24 months. If you have, then apply for either the Premier or Priority.

It's based on anniversary date. Since Chase rolled out the new benefits yesterday and has sent out emails about them, I'm guessing they are immediately available for use.

If I'm understanding you right, you're planning on your DH getting the CP? If so, I think the best plan is for you to wait until the new SUB offer link is available from your SW Plus card (it usually takes a few days whenever Chase rolls out a new SUB on a product) and then have your DH apply through your link so that you get the 20K RR bonus. Use up your EBCIs for your return trip, because I agree you don't want to be worrying about that while you're on a ride.* When your card anniversary passes, wait for your anniversary points to post before canceling your card if canceling is what you want to do. You can cancel a Chase card within 30 days of the annual fee posting and get a full refund of the annual fee.

Now if you're thinking that you'll go for the CP yourself, instead of your DH getting it, then you for sure will need to cancel your card at least 30 days prior to applying for a new SW card of any flavor.

The advantage of your DH getting the CP is the extra 20K RR into your account if you can generate the support link with the 100K offer. I expect someone here will post when it goes live.

*You still need to check-in, but not exactly at T-24. EBCI boarding position will be assigned at T-24, and you'll find out what that is whenever you get around to checking in.
I was able to generate a new support link with the increased bonuses yesterday

Between DH, DS and myself, we have the $400 back on $1500 and two of the $150 back on $500. I also saw the post on cruise critic and read through everything. One thing I didn't know was that you can combine multiple payments to use this offer. Someone on there was also saying that it wouldn't work if your cruise was already booked. I have two booked and if I finish paying everything on both (including gratuities and wifi) it will come up a little over the $500 amount. I'll probably go ahead and try it though because another poster was saying that it worked for them on already booked cruises.

Nice! I think it'll work since the charge just comes from Carnival reservations. There's no difference whether it's a new or existing booking.

My Disney+ subscription renewal is due on Nov 1. I have it set to pay with PayPal, but last time it renewed it came out of my bank account (linked to PayPal) rather than my credit card that is linked. I have my CF selected as "preferred payment," but the wording under "more about payment preferences" is:
We’ll use it when you:
  • Shop online
  • Send money to pay for goods and services
We won’t use it when you:
  • Shop in stores
  • Send money to friends and family
  • Make a preapproved payment, including subscriptions
It also has this same wording under my linked bank account.
So...
Is there a way I can pay for my Disney+ subscription through PayPal using my Freedom card?

Since fall is traditionally the time I applied for new cards, I have quite a few AF coming up. Is it worth reaching out to all of them for retention offers?

Barclay AAviator Personal (2017) - Thinking of ditching this and possibly trying to churn.
CSR - (2016) The never ending debate of the MDD. Want to see if I can get an offer, otherwise, might downgrade. EEEK!
Surpass (2017) - Keeping as I normally get the FNC out of it each year.
Barclay AAviator Biz (2020) - Was originally going to keep, but since the reduced mileage airports are gone, thinking of ditching it (churn someday)
Bonvoy Boundless (2020) - want to ditch, but I think Marriott is waiting to extend my FNC until I pay the AF for the year. GRRRR!

Anyone have luck getting offers on any of the above (and yes, they are all Sept/Oct open dates, LOL).

I call and ask each year on every card I have that has an AF. I figure it doesn't hurt to ask and I don't want to leave money on the table.

My Disney+ subscription renewal is due on Nov 1. I have it set to pay with PayPal, but last time it renewed it came out of my bank account (linked to PayPal) rather than my credit card that is linked. I have my CF selected as "preferred payment," but the wording under "more about payment preferences" is:
We’ll use it when you:
  • Shop online
  • Shop in stores
So...
Is there a way I can pay for my Disney+ subscription through PayPal using my Freedom card?
Ooh - thanks for the heads up. My Disney+ renews tomorrow, and I had mine set up the same way. I’ll be mad if it takes my PayPal balance instead! I’m thinking I’ll use my PayPal Key as my payment method.

You'll need to cancel your Plus card, and wait 30 days before opening up another Southwest personal card since you can't have more than one personal SW card at a time. Oddly enough, you can have more than one biz SW card, just not the personal ones. [ETA: well, it is possible if you do a MDD.] If you end up applying for the Plus again, just be sure that you haven't received the SUB on that card in the past 24 months. If you have, then apply for either the Premier or Priority.

Thank you for all the information!

UPDATE. I chatted with SWA through Facebook and he stated that indeed it would be a pay upfront and get a refund via a statement credit for my free EBCI. However he stated it was CALENDAR year not anniversary. So It makes sense for me to go ahead and do the early bird since it is good till December, I guess. Id' feel better if I saw it in writing somewhere.

Option 1: If you went with 2 personal cards : 224K RRs, $24K MSR.

Option 2: Performance Business card, earn 85K RRs for $5,000 MSR. Plus 1 personal card, earn 112K RRs ($12K MSR). 197K RRs for $17,000.

If I’m looking at this correctly, 224K RRs for $24K MSR is 9.33 RR/$ MSR and 197K RRs for $17K MSR is 11.59 RR/$ MSR.

Thank you for all the information!

UPDATE. I chatted with SWA through Facebook and he stated that indeed it would be a pay upfront and get a refund via a statement credit for my free EBCI. However he stated it was CALENDAR year not anniversary. So It makes sense for me to go ahead and do the early bird since it is good till December, I guess. Id' feel better if I saw it in writing somewhere.
You were definitely told wrong - it’s anniversary year according to the terms on the Chase website. Some other helpful info in here:
Southwest® EarlyBird Check-In®: Each anniversary year you will be reimbursed for the purchase of up to 2 EarlyBird Check-In services made with your Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card. Each EarlyBird Check-In service means a purchase made for EarlyBird Check-In one-way, per Passenger. Anniversary year means the year beginning with your account open date through the first statement date after your account open date anniversary, and the 12 monthly billing cycles after that each year. If you switch to this product from another Chase credit card, your account open date is the date the switch to the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card is completed. EarlyBird Check-In provides automatic check-in before the traditional 24-hour check-in and can be purchased as part of the original flight purchase or added to a flight after purchase. Price of EarlyBird Check-In may vary. Statement credit(s) will post to your account the same day your purchase posts to your account and will appear on your monthly credit card billing statement within 1-2 billing cycles. Account must be open and not in default at the time the statement credit is posted to your account. Statement credits will be issued for the anniversary year in which the transaction posts to your account. For example, if you purchase EarlyBird Check-In and Southwest does not post the transaction until after your current anniversary year ends, the cost of the EarlyBird Check-In services will be allocated towards the following year’s maximum of 2 services. More information can be found at Southwest.com/early-birdOpens Overlay.

We’ll use it when you:
  • Shop online
  • Shop in stores
So...
May not be popular but I just created a new account last year so I could get the latest Black Friday deal on Disney+. Couldn’t figure out how to do it on renewal. I’ll probably go back to that first account this year.

In my never ending, covid-era hobby of planning phantom trips, I thought that Ireland would be a nice 10-day trip next summer. I've heard many of you mention the high fees to fly into London but I found the same fees (all classes) flying into Dublin (and Rome, Berlin, Brussels, although Madrid was about half the fees) even if the flight was an AA flight not going through London. For flights to Paris, those same high fees for Economy but not for Premium Economy. Anyone know why Premium wouldn't have the fees while Economy on the same plane would have the fees? And is this surcharge for booking with AA on points now across Europe? Makes it not worth it for economy points flights to Europe.

Those 3 cities sound magical in winter. Are you only focusing on those 3 or will you be visiting some of the smaller cities markets?

I find the fees frustrating as well. You may want to find a great Europe economy fare (lots out there for about $400 RT) and pay with URs. A $450 flight paid with CSR would be 30k UR, inclusive of taxes and fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter