"I DON'T LIKE MY FAMILY!!" — A May WDW Solo Mini-Trip Report + A Summer of Art

Discussion in 'Disney Trip Reports' started by MeghanEmily, Jun 7, 2018.

1. kastoney

kastoney Disney foodie served with a side of sarcasm

How dare you neglect us for school and practums and real like stuff :P Seriously though hope you are taking good care of yourself with so much going on. We'll be here when you get back. :hug:

MeghanEmily likes this.
  2. MeghanEmily

MeghanEmily DIS Veteran

So brutal! You understand! It'll be worth it...I hope... :laughing:

I just said this on my other TR to pkondz, but before this placement the elderly made me feel uncomfortable. Long-term care facilities felt like places out of creepy horror movies to me. I had so little experience with older adults, especially with chronic medical and degrenerative cognitive types of diagnoses. Even my own grandparents and great-grandparents all lived at home in relatively good health until they died of something fairly acute. And I'm super squeamish, so medical instability freaks me out. So I figured I'd hate it and I'd just have to get it over with. But it's turned out to be one of my favourite things I've done in my degree! The residents we're working with keep surprising me with what they're capable of when they're given the right supports. As I told pkondz: we worked with a gentleman with Parkinson's who could barely be understood by his wife or the staff most of the time because his speech had become so quiet and unintelligible, and by the end of our first session with him he was speaking clearly at a normal volume with a few reminders here and there. Pretty sure his wife's jaw hit the floor when we showed her. :goodvibes:lovestruc

:hug:

Right!? I need to get my priorities straight! :goodvibes Thanks, Kari! It's been very difficult, but I've got some good support and I'm getting to the point now where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! :thumbsup2 It's all been really interesting, so I wouldn't change it if I could, but there's just been so much to do and so little time to get it done. Sleep, and exercise, and socializing have definitely suffered for a few weeks now. I'm looking forward to finding a better balance again soon.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Terra Nova guy

Terra Nova guy DIS Dad #811 Newfoundland, Canada

It's nice to have a quick update from you, I know you've been very busy. I hope it's going well.
    I have to confess that I was actually in Halifax a couple weeks ago for a few days. I was thinking to drop you a note, but I knew you have a tight schedule, and I ended up having very little free time myself.
    But I may end up there a couple more times this year, so I will have to let you know. It would be nice to say hello and have a quick coffee.

MeghanEmily likes this.
  5. MeghanEmily

MeghanEmily DIS Veteran

Hi Jeff! Wow—small world! (Great...now IASM will be stuck in my head all day...) Yes, please send me a message here or on FB if you're ever back in the area and have some free time! I hope you had a good stay.

Terra Nova guy likes this.
  6. pepperandchips

pepperandchips [melinda]

:hug: Hang in there! We’ll all still be here when time slows down again for a moment.

MeghanEmily likes this.
  7. Steppesister

Steppesister DIS Veteran

Oh it will BE!!!

This is amazing and so incredibly heartwarming. Makes all the hard work completely worth it to see someone's quality of life improve and know you had a hand in it. :love::love::love:

MeghanEmily likes this.
  8. Lesley Wake

Lesley Wake May the force be with you!

If you ever want any tips from another Dr, I can ask my dad! He is a general practitioner, but specializes in long term care and geriatrics. He spends about half his work time travelling to nursing homes around the area and meeting with patients and their care teams. I know his opinion would be based on the US health system, but does know a lot about the Canadian system (his family is from BC) so could give some more insights!

MeghanEmily likes this.
  9. MeghanEmily

MeghanEmily DIS Veteran

Thanks, Lesley! That's awesome—I'll keep that in mind!

Lesley Wake likes this.