I did it again.. I booked .. aug 2020

TammyLynn33

DIS Veteran
So after much consideration with big kid who may or may not be off to college or grade 13 next fall ..
We took the plunge last night and booked 10 nights very end of August early sept at our home resort Riviera.
Ex is being well why he’s an ex and I’m sure he’d freak over me having the boys next Xmas and the crowds and increased prices over the holidays ( we got 10 nights compared to 6) so economically ..
I just worry about the heat but we are early am people and maybe and day breaks pool afternoons a longer stay hopefully less go go go we can breath instead of just trying to get everything done .. lots water sunscreen ..
I love planning :) any thoughts
Anyone else looking at August 20

congratulations!

i’ve been at christmas...it’s a zoo. the wait for small world was over an hour. the parks all hit capacity and were closed, usually in the morning. i think you made a great choice, and hopefully you’ll be able to visit during the christmas season but before christmas one year.

i’ve been in august too. stock up on ponchos at the dollar store, because there can be huge rainstorms daily. planning pool breaks at midday is a great idea, because the afternoons are hot and muggy. but as long as you’re prepared for the weather, you’ll have a great time :)

You'll be fine with the end of August. Just turn the air conditioning off at home to acclimate the kids before you go.:-) It's easier to deal with the heat at the end of one of Ontario's summers than it is at the beginning. (blood has thinned out and all)

Early start at the parks, mid day break and back to the parks around dinner. You'll have a wonderful time. Most of the rides are air conditioned and you can pop in and out of stores. Don't get me wrong you will hit a wall of heat but it's doable.

We were just there at the end of August, we had a lot of fun but yes it was hot. I joked we never left Magic Kingdom without getting soaked in a down pour. Until the last night! Then kiddo begged to go on Splash so we still ended up soaked. But it was fun all around any way. Mid-day breaks are great, we also went to the water parks and enjoyed them. Have fun planning!

We were there the 2nd week of September, and we thought we would be able to handle the heat, but we didn't plan well enough. We planned to start early and leave the parks during the hottest time of the day, but we were too excited and stayed longer, so we had a bit of heat exhaustion which hit us around day 3. The best strategy is not to push yourself too hard the first few days. I think you'll be fine, just take those breaks even if you don't feel like you need them. Also, really break up your days by going for rides or shows that are longer so you have a chance to cool down.

Planning before the start of school for a few days sane time as you. Also worried of weather but am sure we'll manage and work around it.

Nice.

We'll be in Florida part of that week. Sailing Symphony of the Seas out of Miami.

Hydration is key in late August. Drink lots of water, even if you think you don't need it. We've used those cooling towels as well - not a total solution but they do work to cool you down without dunking yourself in a pool.

Best of luck with your food/FP+ bookings!

Tell him to Raleigh in the winter. Hear they have a lot of Hurricanes in Carolina at that time...

On that note. If you do have a tropical depression run through, head to the water park. We did that one year and the park was dead. We got to do everything we wanted multiple times with no wait. Only us crazy Canuks there in a light rain. It was fabulous.

We will be there at the exact same time - August 20th to 29th - after going in January for the last 14 years. We are a little concerned about the heat, and possibly the crowds - but we will just make the best of it. I think the hardest thing will be navigating all the changes since we were there in January 2019!

While I am not going in August 2020, I am thinking we will need to go at the very end of June 2021 and get outta there by July 4 (switch to Cabana Bay). DD11 is getting heavily involved in Basketball and our preferred early February dates are out of commission due to playoffs, provincials, etc.

I like the idea of adding in some water park days! You will have a blast regardless of the weather!

We are going the last two weeks of Aug 2020, so we'll probably overlap (although we head to Universal for the second week). I'm worried about the heat too, but lots of breaks/water rides/ water, we'll make it work!!

We have gone the last 2 weeks of August many, many times and love it. Yes, it's hot and humid but if you are mentally prepared for it it's not that bad. We have always gone to the parks for RD and then leave around lunch time to go back to the resort to nap or swim. We go back to the parks around dinner time and stay as late as we want. 10 days is an ideal stay for us and we don't do more than 3-4 park days. We've have been going at least once a year (some years as much as 4 times) for the last 15 years so for us there is no need to see and do it all. Only doing 3-4 park days allows time to relax, enjoy the resort and lots of other things.

I am still debating going down at Christmas this year but I doubt it will happen. I have a much better chance of sneaking down for a 4 day weekend in early December. I'm working on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter