"I brushed my teeth, and I don't have cooties." An August DFTW and Disneymoon TR

N left me hanging!!! :scared1:
Apparently he tried to do the blank face, but he just couldn't manage not to start screaming once the drop began! Bless his heart, he tried. :laughing:

LOL! It's hard not to on that drop. I think it's cute you guys talked about it and tried, but it turned out funny in the end.

pushed out behind the tape by someone who arrived at the last minute when we'd been waiting, even if only for 15 minutes. But she just pushed through anyway and started snapping about how rude we were (talking about us loudly in the third person to her family and everyone around her, of course.) Then of course her daughter couldn't see anything, because she was crammed like a sardine in a crowd of adults. This is absolutely typical crowd behaviour at Disney, but I suspect it still put a damper on my first experience of HEA.

This was my experience too. People are so fricken' rude about this.

Wow what an incredibly long few days of travel! I can't imagine how exhausted you must have been - but what an amazing feeling to get to check into the GF :love: Your room is beautiful!

I agree, the mountains are even more fun in the dark! But I am with Nathan, I can't not scream on Splash Mountain :rotfl:

I have watched multiple videos of HEA and I think it's beautifully done. But I can definitely see how it would be hard to view from certain areas since there aren't as many fireworks as Wishes had...plus rude people always make things worse :sad2:

Can't wait to read more!

The GF was beautiful! We really enjoying living in luxury for a night like that! :)

Absolutely agree about HEA! I'm sure it'll continue to grow on me as well. But it has its pros and cons for me.

Hooray, you've officially arrived at Disney! And at the Grand! What an entrance. Your room looked gorgeous, but sorry to hear there were a few things wrong with the room. When you're staying at Disney's flagship resort, you sort of expect things like door handles to be in working condition.

I can't believe you guys had the energy to hop over to the MK after four days of driving. Whew! But I guess it was a good thing since that was the only time you saw Happily Ever After. And I'm with you 1000%. The show is good, but it's no Wishes. Relying heavily on projections does a disservice to the guests who can't see the castle.

Oh! I almost forgot to comment on that crazy border patrol story. Goodness gracious, that was a stressful time. I'm really glad you didn't end up coming here on the DIS and telling us that you missed your wedding because some folks thought you were trying to sneak into the country!

I know, I think I went into the Grand with some pretty high expectations. But we really were quite pleased with our stay! It was a fabulous way to start the trip off right.

Couldn't have said it better about HEA. And I'm sure it'll continue to grow on me. But that's exactly how I feel about it.

The border...oh my goodness! It could have been SO much worse! The guards were good with us, and just doing their jobs...but I was worried for a bit that a misunderstanding might cause this report to be MUCH shorter. Thank goodness!

That's kinda how I felt about HEA. I really, really loved Wishes, it just felt so magical to me :wizard:

Couldn't agree more!

:rotfl: They probably are even though you went home, they'll be waiting with Disboards print outs next time you try to cross!

Bahaha yes!! You never know about these things!

I finally had a chance to hop over here and I am so excited to read all about your wedding and honeymoon. Congrats to the Newlyweds.

What an awesome cm interaction, I love when that happens.

Sorry about the mom at HEA, I hate entitled people like that, and while yes it happens all the time, it definitely can effect your experience. Also, good for you for standing up for yourself, I am always too much of a wimp to do that and am more passive aggressive :confused3.

I feel you on HEA, I haven't seen it yet, but with just what I have seen on Youtube I have to agree.

Thanks for coming over! And for the well-wishes!!

CMs can TOTALLY make some of your best memories on a trip! We'll never forget John and how he turned our day around. It was such a simple encounter, but he didn't have to take that time with us and be so kind and friendly. Some CMs really love what they do and it makes every interaction with them so special!

That must have been amazing. Though did you hear it at night?

Surprisingly, no! I don't remember ever being woken up by it. I'm sure it's louder at the CR since it comes inside, but we hardly heard a thing when it went by. That's also part of what I kept missing it when I was trying to take a photo of video :)

I hear ya...there were times at the CR where we should have rested but just were pulled....into MK...because it was so close...but ended up staying more than a "pop over" lol

At the CR it would be even more tempting with that walking path! I don't know how I'd ever go to other parks! :P

Oh I hear that :laughing:

The struggle is real. :rotfl:

Please tell me you meant physics! Right?! ;)

Oh my gosh! :rotfl2: Yes, I definitely meant physics! But that's a beautiful typo. I don't think I'll even go back to edit it! Haha ...this is what happens to me when I go braindead after studying...

OH how I get that! To study or not to study.... that's always the question!

The eternal debate! It's a challenge.

LOL! It's hard not to on that drop. I think it's cute you guys talked about it and tried, but it turned out funny in the end.

It was worth a shot! He's always really excited about what to do on that ride photo. I think because on our first one we kissed and he thought it was cute...even though it really just turned into screaming into each others' faces! :rotfl: But I like how it came out this time anyway :)

This was my experience too. People are so fricken' rude about this.

It's amazing. I can't imagine ever doing that. I know how much people pay to go to Disney and what a burden it can be, but it seems to make some people feel really entitled to do whatever they want to make sure they have the exact experience they feel they deserve...even though everyone else has also paid and taken the time to be there also... I wouldn't ever feel justified (nor would I want to as a decent human being) acting that way.

And let me tell you, after driving for days and staying in less expensive hotels, arriving at the GF felt like driving straight into an oasis...

The perfect oasis after that long drive.

Originally we didn't anticipate the Grand would be our style...but...well, we got spoiled here...and it felt pretty good!

I have a feeling Disney can make any resort feel great. I would love to try the Grand someday.

We also had a tiny patio where we could watch the monorail go by

I love this little perk.

I have no doubt that this special experience influenced what would become a love affair with the GF.

A great CM interaction really does make the difference.

but on our first night at Disney and being on the monorail...the call of the Magic Kingdom was just TOO STRONG!

Totally get this. I would have done the same thing.

First, 7DMT:
P20Pdfx.jpg

Great ride photo!

Hmm...let's push in on that...

hAEVa6S.jpg

You did great, N not so much. To be fair this is my favorite MK ride so I would have a real hard time not smiling too.

The show is good, but it's no Wishes. Relying heavily on projections does a disservice to the guests who can't see the castle.

So true, I liked it but didn't love it. We couldn't see the projections well at all. I think it is something that is going to have to grow on me.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Canadians!!

Belated Happy Thanksgiving to you too! Your turkey looks great, hope it tasted great too.

This is what my turkey birdie looked like an hour ago. No guarantees for what it'll look like in a couple more hours...
Well, I'm a few days late, but I always enjoy leftover turkey... :rolleyes1

I've hit midterm season already, so it's hard to say whether the updates will come more slowly due to studying, or more quickly due to procrastination...
Good luck!!!!

We arrived in WDW (following our road trip) on Aug. 15, were married on Aug. 17, and basked in a glorious honeymoon that we ended up continually trying to extend until Aug. 29.

Whelp! Guess I can skip reading...
Well... maybe I'll peruse a bit more.

*A not-too-gruelling retelling of a 3-day-each-way road trip*
*incl. road trip snacks and minimal crankiness*
*incl. the story of how the border guards thought I was sneaking into the US and never going to leave*
*20 Canadians take on the Canada Pavilion in style*
*I wear a full-length wedding dress in Florida in August and live to tell the tale*
*A wedding day that flies by in a flash*
*incl. some special guests...*
*In the span of two weeks we pet both giraffes and dolphins*
*swinging rope bridges*
*So. Much. Food.*
*Also, free mimosas.*
*Also, other free stuff.*
*Okay, let's just say there was a bit of pixie dust included*
*So. Much. Food.*
*Park touring with N's Disney-virgin family*
*We resort/hotel hop four thousand times*
*Actually, it was five, not including hotels on the road.*
*But it felt like four thousand.*
*The Dooney addiction strikes again*
*We celebrate Halloween in August*
*I purchase a plethora of trading pins*
*So. Much. Food.*
*Dismeets!!*
*Occasional cute GIFs*
*And so much more!*

*Oh, and also, I cut off all my hair.*

Okay. Now I'm all informed and everything! Definitely can stop reading now.

And yet.... I kept going. Huh.

Exhibit B (taken same day):

The same day!?!?!?!?!?! :faint:

We're trouble-makers. Obviously.

Obviously.

(If that doesn't sound crazy enough, I also had already bought my dress before we got engaged. :rolleyes1)

Yep. That sounds crazy.

I have a feeling that most of you don't want a full play-by-play of a three-day car ride.

I do! I do!

(At one point I actually looked over to N's mom in the passenger seat, mortified, to confirm that he did, in fact, live where I said he lived! And I know his address! I'm his wife!)

:lmao:

What did I do for a living? ...and that's where I made the next mistake...and said I was UNEMPLOYED!

uh oh.....

Thank gawd, as soon as the guard went out to search the car it started pouring rain! He opened the back, took one look at the jam-packed car full of wedding stuff, looked up at the rain, and was like *heck no!*

:laughing:

But now all the terrorists know to go when it's raining.

I guess I look extra suspicious

This I believe.

We were in the far-right lane, and the vehicle in front of us suddenly veered into the guard rail beside us, bounced off it, and started rebounding back toward us into traffic. N acted fast and swerved around him to the left just in time, but if there had been someone in the lane beside us we would have been in an accident, and the folks behind and to the side of us would have been, too.

:eek: Holy crap!

I suspect... texting.

(PTR readers, you'll remember that I was very recently in a lousy car accident that totalled my old car, so I had some intense flashbacks in that moment!)

:hug:

N yelled out, "What the h*ll?!!" just as we crossed the state line, and our GPS responded with a particularly sarcastic: "Welcome to New Jersey."

:lmao: Timing!

I forget the citrus-superhero's name already...

Orange man... with green hair.

arriving at the GF felt like driving straight into an oasis...

I bet!

As soon as we arrived, I made N turn on the TV and find the "Stacey" channel for a good dose of must-do's while we waited for our luggage:

Something I never do. I never turn the TV on in Disney.

It was SOO warm, even after the sun had gone down, and I sent my mom a selfie to show how hot and tired I was, waiting in a backed-up FP line for Splash...

That line is sooooo hot.
You still look cute, though.

N left me hanging!!! :scared1:

Apparently he tried to do the blank face, but he just couldn't manage not to start screaming once the drop began!

:rotfl:

"Must keep straight face... must keep straight face... must keep str..... aiieeeeeeeee!!!"

In the last 2 minutes before the show started, a large woman and her child arrived with another woman and child in her family, and they saw the most minuscule less-than-half-a-person-sized space between us and the people in front of us, and she started elbowing in front of us, unabashedly saying "excuse me." We looked at her and said "no." There just wasn't enough room for them, and we weren't about to get pushed out behind the tape by someone who arrived at the last minute when we'd been waiting, even if only for 15 minutes. But she just pushed through anyway and started snapping about how rude we were (talking about us loudly in the third person to her family and everyone around her, of course.) Then of course her daughter couldn't see anything, because she was crammed like a sardine in a crowd of adults. This is absolutely typical crowd behaviour at Disney, but I suspect it still put a damper on my first experience of HEA.

Inexcusable. Totally rude.

I have pushed back, once. They left.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Canadians!!

Right back atcha!

This is what my turkey birdie looked like an hour ago.

Dang that looks good! How was it?

And with that... I'm caught up!

We're Goin' to Surf City, Gonna Have Some Fun (Ooooh ooh oooooh oooooooooh!)
Disney Day 2 - Part 1

Welcome back, folks! Little life update here: I'm one midterm and two quizzes down at this point, with two midterms and a paper left to go! I studied a bunch, like a good little Diser masters student, and I feel fairly confident that they won't kick me out of the program...yet. Fingers crossed!

Also, I invite you to join me in my outrage...N recently had work in Florida—one weekend in Tampa, the following weekend in Miami—so what did he do in his down time, you ask? ...He went to Food and Wine without me!!

geumZns.gif

Originally I was totally jealous and absolutely against the idea...but then I warmed to the fact that he should be allowed to have fun without me...and realized that I could use this to my advantage! :cool2: So I made him a lengthy list of food items to sample and review, and I sent him on his way. He spent a day sending me pictures and reviews, and running errands for me, which included picking up the F&W passholder pin! He enjoyed it so much that we're already talking about the possibility of going together next Fall during one of my study breaks from school, and possibly even bringing my mom and grandmother with us. :scratchin

Now...on to the relevant TR info!

So we woke up this morning, the first full day of Disney bliss, somewhat bright-ish-eyed and kinda-bushy-tailed.
iOAdneu.gif

Okay. We were a little exhausted. But we also had a very busy day planned, so we brightened up quickly! I was a little concerned though about my ability to make it through everything I'd planned due to my fatigue and my issues with heat and travelling due to my brain condition. Spoiler alert: I crashed a little, but I managed fairly well, considering.

Now I need to back up a little bit here. You need to know that when we were originally planning this trip, we were going to do some park touring with N's family, but the only day they could go would be the 16th, which was the day before our wedding (i.e. the current TR day.) I booked some fun things, like a character breakfast, talked about FP at the MK, etc. Sounds great, right?

::yes::

Wrong.

:sad2:

They decided that breakfast was too expensive and they had no interest in MK. Anything I planned they seemed to shut down, so eventually I told them to do what they wanted, and we'd try to join them whenever our schedule allowed for it around our other plans that day. Or at least I thought I'd made that clear. Then N and I went ahead and booked our own character breakfast (which I'm about to get to) and planned to join them at Epcot after. Some confusion ensued when his family told us that they'd believed that we would follow them all day and assist them in their every decision, being their Disney guardian angels, etc...so after some compromising the plan was for us to meet them after breakfast at Epcot, ride a few things, and then N would stay with them for a bit while I went on to appointments, etc. We told them the time and place when/where we'd meet them (somewhere around 9:45ish, I believe? I just remember worrying we'd be late.) and encouraged them to get to Epcot for rope drop and explore on their own with the lowest crowds of the day. ...Remember that for later.

So early in the a.m. N and I dropped our bags with bell services for our move to Coronado Springs Resort later that day. Then we hopped in the car and drove to...

The Beach Club Resort!
wqMIB5s.jpg

We had a character breakfast for the two of us (which N's mother got upset/jealous about when she learned that we'd still gone ahead and booked our own breakfast without them! But alas, I digress...) at Cape May Cafe! This was a new breakfast for me, and I was excited to try it out.

N got up and hit the buffet while I waited to speak to someone about my food allergies. Of course, while he was gone the first visitor made their way to our table...

6sBH81I.jpg

Minnie Mouse!!

Don't you just love her beach-wear? I settled for a selfie since I was alone at the table.

Shortly after, I got my allergy inquiries settled and got some grub...
313T0yd.jpg

BZHwtjW.jpg

I hoped I'd earn enough goodwill with the fruit and broccolini to cancel out the waffles and bacon and still be able to fit into my dress the next day. :scared: (My dress was too small when I'd bought it since I had to buy a sample off the rack, and I'd worked hard over the months leading up to the wedding to shimmy myself into it!)

N returned around the same time, and we started meeting characters shortly after. So here's a slew of character photos...

lhMYY5h.jpg

oHjxUUY.jpg

feMgbsD.jpg

T8ABM3a.jpg

MEgpS4Y.jpg

I made N and Goofy stand back-to-back to confirm who was taller. It's pretty close, I think...
ckTwrot.jpg

VMR6ALD.jpg

Lucky for me, Minnie came around again, so we got to do our photos right this time:
c95ZJhU.jpg

hLnbttN.jpg

Before we had a chance to get the bill, Donald popped by a second time, so I asked for a photo I had forgotten the first time...

NUMBER ONE!
bhWssa9.jpg

This was a great start to our trip. The food was good, and the character interactions were decent. It didn't stack up to others we'd done in the past, but I was satisfied. All in all, it's definitely not our favourite place for breakfast, or even our favourite buffet, but I enjoyed it. It's not on our list to return to right away, but I also wouldn't say no to breakfast here right now if I had the chance!! I also thought the Beach Club was really lovely—it was my first time visiting!—and I was looking forward to getting back for more meals later in the trip.
ByNI3uL.jpg

Now we had another new experience ahead of us: walking to Epcot via the International Gateway! We left the car at the Beach Club for quick retrieval later—I swear we weren't trying to cheat and get free parking since we get that with our APs anyway—and began to mosey. It was already SOO hot, and we hadn't adjusted to the temperatures yet, so I shade-hopped all the way to Epcot. The gateway really was convenient though, and someday I'd love to stay at an Epcot resort for this reason.

In fact, the gateway was soo convenient...that we ended up at Epcot quite early for our meeting with N's family. Great, right!? Since they were already there at rope drop!?...I sent his mother a FB message...eventually she responded...they were just sitting down to breakfast...at the Pop Century food court.

:scared1:

:mad:

:headache:

She said they might be a little later than 9:45...or maybe it was 10:00? Anyway, whatever the original time was, we were about 40 minutes away from that...and I told her there was no way they'd arrive by then. If they hadn't even eaten yet, then needed to bus over from Pop and go through bag check...etc. I had warned them about how much time to allow for Disney transportation, but I don't think they really believed me until after this event. :sad2::sad2::sad2: Disney is big. People aren't willing to accept that.

N and I had time to kill and decided to make our own fun at Epcot. On the way to Future World, we were stopped by the DVC guy. At first we were just chatting because he didn't have anything to do, but when he heard how much time we'd spent at WDW recently, he had the perfect setup to try to make a sale! I didn't mind though, because I'd been considering taking a DVC tour for a while now if given the right motivation. N is interested in DVC, and I'm skeptically open-minded-ish to the possibility in the eventual future. I never felt it was worth it to take a lengthy DVC tour just to get a couple of extra FPs, but this guy gave us a little more incentive: Do the tour for 60-90 minutes while we're staying at a DVC resort (the Poly) anyway. Get 6 FPs and a $100 Disney gift card.

:cool:
Sign me up.

We booked a tour for later in the week, and continued on our way. I stopped long enough to remove my shoes, hat, and glasses, and splash around in the splash pad. N held my things and laughed at me for being a small child.

We decided to hit a ride next that had a short wait...
zRloweX.jpg

Our last experience on Figment on a previous trip had been a bad one because we'd been snapping at each other after N had dropped my camera, etc., so we wanted a do-over. It went much smoother this time, and I got a chance to hang with my beloved little purple buddy, Figment!

Our imaginations thoroughly exercised, I checked my messages to find that N's family had just gotten on a bus. We decided to pop into Mouse Gear for some shopping while we waited.

On our last trip I'd purchased my first Disney Dooney & Bourke bag, and I fell so much in love with it that I wanted to browse for another. N was planning to get me a birthday gift at WDW, but I wasn't planning to make any large purchases unless I found something perfect...

:hyper: And I did.

I'd been looking at the Dooney sketch backpacks online and was SO disappointed that they were sold out online and not available anymore! So when I saw the last 8 left in the entirety of Epcot, and possibly all of Disney World...it was fate.

I could go on forever about this bag...but I won't. Let me just say that it was the PERFECT park touring bag for long park days, spacious enough, but still light and comfortable enough that I never wimpily forced N to carry it for me, durable, easy to wipe off, beautifully crafted...and I love it more every time I use it.
IFIw1S4.jpg

The CM at the counter was also awesome, and she took her time with me, taking all 8 of the bags down off the shelf and helping me to choose which print placement I liked best. I know she probably wasn't busy that early in the morning, and that they probably spend more time when people make a more expensive purchase like that, but I still thought she was wonderful. I wish I'd gotten her name. N purchased the bag with his AP discount as my birthday present (my birthday had been a couple of weeks prior) and we had it sent to CSR for me.

Finally, miracle of miracles, N's family arrived! We headed to Guest Relations where I'd told them to meet us, and we finally got to see them for the first time since we'd all arrived on US soil. Everyone was looking chipper and ready for some fun!
qMTlHE3.jpg

(As you can see, N has his dad's smile. :laughing:)

And now N and I were about to experience touring with a group of newbies...:eek:

Last edited:
Going to Disney with people who aren't the fans we are or just aren't familiar with the property can be...challenging. :rolleyes2 It takes so much patience, sometimes, because nobody wants to believe what you say or trust that you're going to create the best plan for the party.
Ah well, I guess it worked out in the end, anyways. Since you thought the Cape May breakfast was just OK, maybe it was better N's family didn't spend a lot of money on a meal that might not have liked. And their delay to Epcot allowed you to get that gorgeous Dooney! :goodvibes
It's beautiful, and I'm glad you were able to snag one before they disappeared forever.

I have a feeling Disney can make any resort feel great. I would love to try the Grand someday.

A great CM interaction really does make the difference.

Absolutely!!

You did great, N not so much. To be fair this is my favorite MK ride so I would have a real hard time not smiling too.

Haha he tried his best! I agree though, Splash is my favourite ride (in all of WDW, in fact!) and it's hard not to beam going down that drop!

So true, I liked it but didn't love it. We couldn't see the projections well at all. I think it is something that is going to have to grow on me.

I think so, too. I'm sure the more I see it and develop some good memories with it, the more I'll like it. I knew it wouldn't be the same as Wishes, and I didn't dislike it, but it's not my favourite or anything yet.

Belated Happy Thanksgiving to you too! Your turkey looks great, hope it tasted great too.

Thank you! It was delicious! And now I have another turkey in my freezer from the post-Thanksgiving sales, so I think I might cook it next month and celebrate American Thanksgiving from afar in honor of all my American friends!

Well, I'm a few days late, but I always enjoy leftover turkey... :rolleyes1

Shoot...just finished the last of the leftovers yesterday. Sorry! :P Leftovers are probably the best part of Thanksgiving, after the whole sharing in thankfulness bit.

I literally LOL
YAY finally in the Disney Bubble. Kuddo's to you for being able to make it to MK.

Yay is right! We were so happy to be there! We were exhausted, but getting to the MK was totally worth it. :)

Okay. Now I'm all informed and everything! Definitely can stop reading now.

And yet.... I kept going. Huh.

Apparently you're a sucker for punishment.

The same day!?!?!?!?!?! :faint:

Surprise! lol
Yeah, I felt it was a day for big changes. :P

But now all the terrorists know to go when it's raining.

Shoot!! I will now be solely responsible for the fall of America by broadcasting border patrol secrets to all my terrorist Dis-followers! What was I thinking!?? :eek:

:eek: Holy crap!

I suspect... texting.

Unfortunately, you're probably right. :headache:

Something I never do. I never turn the TV on in Disney.

We almost never sit down to watch the tv at Disney—I say almost because it happened once on this trip when we needed an AC break—with the exception of N watching the Disney cartoons while I pass out and nap in the afternoons. But I love to have those Disney Must-Do's as background noise. Stacey is my jam.

That line is sooooo hot.
You still look cute, though.

It was wild!! And people kept stopping in line so they could move from one cool air vent to the next without having to stop in the middle.

I would have looked less cute if I'd passed out, but fortunately we both made it through with no major incidents!

:rotfl:

"Must keep straight face... must keep straight face... must keep str..... aiieeeeeeeee!!!"

This a highly accurate description.

Dang that looks good! How was it?

It was delish!! I just finished eating leftovers yesterday, and now I'm sad. Already looking forward to the next turkey dinner...I think we'll celebrate American Thanksgiving this year too...I don't want to go until Christmas without a turkey! :hyper:

I still can't get over the fact that you live in Canada and have WDW APs!

It seems a little crazy, I know! :laughing: When we went in December and got engaged, we decided that we'd be returning that summer for our wedding, so before we left that trip we upgraded our regular park tickets to annual passes. When we did the math, it would be cheaper to upgrade to APs than to buy another set of park tickets for our summer honeymoon. But then having APs is dangerous because it gives you incentive to book more trips...ours will end up covering 4 trips because we went for a weekend in May to do some wedding planning, and now we're going back this winter for Marathon weekend, which will pretty much be the end of our APs. (They expire Jan. 18th due to an anniversary promotion on when we bought them which included a 13th month free.) My husband also travels into the states for work a lot, so he's managed to use them a couple times without me, too!

My grandma would love this :rotfl: Her favorite past time is making everyone stand back to back with their siblings to see who's taller.

:rotfl2:That sounds like a very grandma thing to love to do! :rotfl:

Going to Disney with people who aren't the fans we are or just aren't familiar with the property can be...challenging. :rolleyes2 It takes so much patience, sometimes, because nobody wants to believe what you say or trust that you're going to create the best plan for the party.

Absolutely! It was a little easier with my family because most of them had been at least once before and knew what to expect. I'd like a do-over with N's family sometime when we have more energy and patience to devote to their trip, because we just weren't really in that headspace the day before the wedding. They seem open to going back sometime in the next couple of years, so we may get that chance. :)

Ah well, I guess it worked out in the end, anyways. Since you thought the Cape May breakfast was just OK, maybe it was better N's family didn't spend a lot of money on a meal that might not have liked. And their delay to Epcot allowed you to get that gorgeous Dooney! :goodvibes
It's beautiful, and I'm glad you were able to snag one before they disappeared forever.

I agree that everything worked out despite the unexpected stuff and changes of plans, etc. I was going to take them to Crystal Palace for breakfast (because Nathan and I enjoy it, and I know they would have no interest in waiting in character lines, but would like having those pictures, etc.) and then plan a morning at MK for us originally, which I still think would have been fun. But I also think that Epcot ended up being a better fit for their personalities to ease them in to WDW. And everyone seemed to have a good day, even if it wasn't the day I would have planned. :P

...He went to Food and Wine without me!!
What!?!?!? :scared1: At least you can plan a future trip during a school break :thumbsup2

I sent his mother a FB message...eventually she responded...they were just sitting down to breakfast...at the Pop Century food court.
Oh, no... I hope things were smooth from here, and that this wasn't a sign of things to come this day.

I'm anxious to hear about your DVC tour! I considered signing up for one myself but, like many things I thought I'd get around to this past trip, it just didn't happen :sad2:

What!?!?!? :scared1: At least you can plan a future trip during a school break :thumbsup2

RIGHT?? Unthinkable!! :P After the initial shock and rage wore off, I was glad he got to have some fun and make use of his annual pass. I'm looking forward to getting there, myself. Hopefully sooner rather than later!

Oh, no... I hope things were smooth from here, and that this wasn't a sign of things to come this day.

They were...ish. I was just unhappy to have missed out on spending some time with them...and they were shocked and unimpressed when I had to leave shortly after...which was why we wanted them to be there early in the first place, etc. Oh well. It was fine though!

I'm anxious to hear about your DVC tour! I considered signing up for one myself but, like many things I thought I'd get around to this past trip, it just didn't happen :sad2:

The short of it is that it was worth doing in our case. It ended up being a private tour for just us, and we just chatted with the sales rep for a while. He knew we were early in our research, so he didn't pressure us too much to buy. It was good to get the info, and it didn't take long! But I know that hasn't been the experience for everyone I've talked to about it.

I'm one midterm and two quizzes down at this point, with two midterms and a paper left to go! I studied a bunch, like a good little Diser masters student, and I feel fairly confident that they won't kick me out of the program...yet. Fingers crossed!

Good luck!

Also, I invite you to join me in my outrage...N recently had work in Florida—one weekend in Tampa, the following weekend in Miami—so what did he do in his down time, you ask? ...He went to Food and Wine without me!!

The cad!

So we woke up this morning, the first full day of Disney bliss, somewhat bright-ish-eyed and kinda-bushy-tailed.

Uh, huh...

Spoiler alert: I crashed a little, but I managed fairly well, considering.

:hug:

Sounds great, right?

Wrong.

uh, oh...

they had no interest in MK.

No... interest........ in MK........

:faint:

Anything I planned they seemed to shut down, so eventually I told them to do what they wanted, and we'd try to join them whenever our schedule allowed for it around our other plans that day.

Good for you.

encouraged them to get to Epcot for rope drop and explore on their own with the lowest crowds of the day. ...Remember that for later.

I already can see where this is going...

We had a character breakfast for the two of us (which N's mother got upset/jealous about when she learned that we'd still gone ahead and booked our own breakfast without them! But alas, I digress...)

:sad2: She got jealous that you did something that she refused to do.

Okay then.

I made N and Goofy stand back-to-back to confirm who was taller. It's pretty close, I think...

I can't even see the difference!!

Now we had another new experience ahead of us: walking to Epcot via the International Gateway!

I shade-hopped all the way to Epcot.

I know exactly what you mean! :laughing:

they were just sitting down to breakfast...at the Pop Century food court.

oy

Get 6 FPs and a $100 Disney gift card.

Hello!!

I stopped long enough to remove my shoes, hat, and glasses, and splash around in the splash pad.

Awww!!!

N held my things and laughed at me for being a small child.

He should have taken photos!

That is a nice bag! :thumbsup2

Apparently you're a sucker for punishment.

I've been told that, yes.

Shoot!! I will now be solely responsible for the fall of America by broadcasting border patrol secrets to all my terrorist Dis-followers! What was I thinking!?? :eek:

It's your fault!

But I love to have those Disney Must-Do's as background noise. Stacey is my jam.

You aren't alone. :)

I think we'll celebrate American Thanksgiving this year too...I don't want to go until Christmas without a turkey! :hyper:

Bonus turkey!

Glad you guys still had a fun breakfast even if his family was being a bit frustrating. I feel like N's family sounds like my BF's family (who also happens to be named Nathan) so I feel ya on this stuff.

I feel like I keep throwing N's family under the bus, and I shouldn't! :rotfl2: They're good people with their hearts in the right place. They just plan things and communicate with each other very differently than I'm used to. But there were a few very frustrating moments leading up to the wedding trying to get things sorted with them.

No... interest........ in MK........

:faint:

I. know.

How?? :eek:

They just thought it looked childish, and their kids are grown now, so they didn't think it would be of interest to them. They only had one day to go to a park—that was another issue entirely. We had discussed them coming for a couple of extra days to make more of a vacation of it, which they decided against due to finances and vacation from work, etc., but then when the time actually came and they saw we'd made plans with my family after the wedding, they regretted it and wished we'd encouraged them...harder? Anyway, so they only had one day in the park and didn't want to spend it somewhere that was too "young." I think they expected magic kingdom to be like children's rides at a county fair kinda deal...if you've never been to a true theme park like Disney, USO, etc., you don't really know what to expect and how immersive they really area. So instead we suggested Epcot as the next park that might appeal to the most of them.

There was also a very frustrating back-and-forth for probably a month or so, where N's dad wanted to go to Animal Kingdom to see Pandora, and I kept discouraging them again and again from doing that. That may sound like I wasn't doing what was best for what they wanted, but I swear I thought they'd have a bad first experience of Disney if they spent their only day at AK. They hate crowds, long lines, and heat/walking long distance in the heat (I find you feel the heat in AK more than the other parks.) They wanted to see Pandora, but they had refused to get their plans together before their 60 day FP window like I'd asked, so all FP were already gone for Pandora rides. Waiting an hour, let alone three hours, for a ride was absolutely out of the question for them. And I knew they would NOT (as demonstrated on their Epcot arrival day!) get to the park by the time it opened, let alone for 30-60 minutes before rope drop. I would tell them to do whatever the preferred, but give them all the facts first on the pros and cons to AK...they would "listen" and come to the conclusion that I was right, and they agreed that they would go to Epcot. Case closed. Then I'd talk to them a week later and it would be, "yeah, but Michael's decided he does want to go to Animal Kingdom." Ugggh! Eventually I gave up. And they went to Epcot anyway. *sigh*

:sad2: She got jealous that you did something that she refused to do.

Okay then.

Yep! *facepalm*
I think part of the problem was that his mom was open to doing breakfast, but once his dad started crunching the numbers he got VERY overwhelmed by how expensive Disney can be. And understandably so! His parents were also paying for their three [adult] children's trips. (And whole different issue/can of worms there! I understand them paying for their flight/hotel to make sure they were financially able to attend their son's wedding. But there was absolutely no need for them to pay for them to do non-wedding-essential things like park tickets, theme park meals, etc., if they were concerned about costs. All his sisters are adults, one is in school, but two are working professionals. But anyway!) Once his dad got to that point of wow-this-is-expensive-everything-costs-so-much-more-at-Disney-than-anywhere-else kinda mindset, everything got thrown out the window and they scaled way back. They kinda went from "We can afford it, let's do everything we want and go big. Maybe we'll stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge! If you want to book this meal, let's just do it!" etc. ...to staying at Pop Century, and cancelling anything that cost money other than their one-day park tickets. It was one extreme or the other, and nothing in the middle.

Long story short: I think his mom would have enjoyed a character breakfast if it hadn't gotten shut down due to expenses, so she was sad that the experience would still be happening whether she was there or not and that she wouldn't be a part of it. But it kinda still felt like, "If we won't allow ourselves to have fun, then you're not allowed to have fun either!" :confused3

I can't even see the difference!!

I know, right? It's uncanny, the similarities...Nathan basically is Goofy.

Bonus turkey!

:Pinkbounc:jumping3::bounce:

Adorable pics at breakfast!

I'm sorry N's family was already ignoring your advice. But sounds like you and N had some nice solo time in Epcot before they arrived. LOVE the bag you got!!

I feel fairly confident that they won't kick me out of the program...yet. Fingers crossed!
So, cautiously optimistic? :rotfl2:

You should be proud!!! I mean, wouldn't you do the same thing? I think it is great that he wanted to go to EPCOT by himself.

Spoiler alert: I crashed a little, but I managed fairly well, considering.
Well, that sounds good. I think a little crash is to be expected by anyone!

I booked some fun things, like a character breakfast, talked about FP at the MK, etc. Sounds great, right?

They decided that breakfast was too expensive
Ok, well, this part is true. I mean, if you aren't a Disney Parks fan and don't really WANT to be there, yes, that is one ridiculously expensive breakfast.

Some confusion ensued when his family told us that they'd believed that we would follow them all day and assist them in their every decision, being their Disney guardian angels, etc
Oh boy...

We had a character breakfast for the two of us (which N's mother got upset/jealous about when she learned that we'd still gone ahead and booked our own breakfast without them! But alas, I digress...)
Doesn't want to do it. Doesn't want to be left out. You can't win. I guess you should have just gone to breakfast at 8:30 at Pop like a normal person.

It's not on our list to return to right away, but I also wouldn't say no to breakfast here right now if I had the chance!! I also thought the Beach Club was really lovely—it was my first time visiting!—and I was looking forward to getting back for more meals later in the trip.
In any case, a nice way to start things off. I'm a big fan of Beach Club. I've never stayed there, but it is near the top of the list of places I'd like to stay.

I sent his mother a FB message...eventually she responded...they were just sitting down to breakfast...at the Pop Century food court.

:scared1:

:mad:

:sad2: And your expert guidance will be useless when they arrive to a 120 minute line for Test Track, 20 minutes for Spaceship Earth, 90 minutes for Soarin...

N was planning to get me a birthday gift at WDW, but I wasn't planning to make any large purchases unless I found something perfect...

:hyper: And I did.
Well, that happened fast! Looks like a nice birthday gift!

I hope the rest of what's left of the morning with the in-laws to be goes better!

I. know.

How?? :eek:

They just thought it looked childish, and their kids are grown now, so they didn't think it would be of interest to them. They only had one day to go to a park—that was another issue entirely. We had discussed them coming for a couple of extra days to make more of a vacation of it, which they decided against due to finances and vacation from work, etc., but then when the time actually came and they saw we'd made plans with my family after the wedding, they regretted it and wished we'd encouraged them...harder? Anyway, so they only had one day in the park and didn't want to spend it somewhere that was too "young." I think they expected magic kingdom to be like children's rides at a county fair kinda deal...if you've never been to a true theme park like Disney, USO, etc., you don't really know what to expect and how immersive they really area. So instead we suggested Epcot as the next park that might appeal to the most of them.
Wow... yeah, I kind of get their, um, concern? I've always felt that if you're going to Disney World and have one day to do one park, it is kind of an easy call...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter