• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I am doing something wrong!

seadd67

DIS Veteran
I want to use one load to wash our clouths,we use lquid at home, But everytime I use powder on our trip,the colors always seem to run? and they end up looking like a bowl of melted ice cream?. So what I am I doing wrong? is there any way to mix the laundry and still keep the colors together?, thanks.

Buy "color catchers"...they are a fabric sheet you put in the washer. I use them all the time at home because my son and DH mix and match colors, in the wash, all the time.

At home if I am washing a mixed load like that I just wash it on the "ice" cold setting. We have well water so cold water is really really cold. Nothing even seems to run when using the really cold setting like that -- except reds/pinks. I don't ever throw in reds or pinks with other lighter clothes.

I want to use one load to wash our clouths,we use lquid at home, But everytime I use powder on our trip,the colors always seem to run? and they end up looking like a bowl of melted ice cream?. So what I am I doing wrong? is there any way to mix the laundry and still keep the colors together?, thanks.

Why do you use powder on your trip? I have taken liquid detergent with me several times in the past with no trouble at all.

Here is what I do:

Put the proper amount of liquid detergent in a ziploc bag, seal it removing excess air, place all ziplocs of detergent in a plastic container (such as a sports bottle) and put it in the checked luggage.

When it comes time to do laundry, take the bag out of the plastic container and open it up, turn it inside out over the machine so that all detergent falls in, and toss the bag in the machine with the clothing. (don't write on the bag though as the ink may come off) Wash with cold water and remove the bag before tossing in the dryer.​

I have never had any trouble with transporting the liquid this way and no damage to any of my clothing.

Buy "color catchers"...they are a fabric sheet you put in the washer. I use them all the time...
ITA about the Shout Color Catchers!
31kS5jMwhmL._SL500_SS75_.jpg
They are amazing!!!!!

I tote my liquid the same as PP. It works fine without leakage. Still use my Color Catchers though.

Why do you use powder on your trip? I have taken liquid detergent with me several times in the past with no trouble at all.

Here is what I do:

Put the proper amount of liquid detergent in a ziploc bag, seal it removing excess air, place all ziplocs of detergent in a plastic container (such as a sports bottle) and put it in the checked luggage.

When it comes time to do laundry, take the bag out of the plastic container and open it up, turn it inside out over the machine so that all detergent falls in, and toss the bag in the machine with the clothing. (don't write on the bag though as the ink may come off) Wash with cold water and remove the bag before tossing in the dryer.​

I have never had any trouble with transporting the liquid this way and no damage to any of my clothing.

Thanks,:thumbsup2 love this Idea. Powder I just do not have any luck with and the cold water,yep I had It on warm:confused3

Just a thought...Purex now has those all in one laundry sheets (detergent, fabric softener, and static remover). They are a lot easier to cart around on vacation than liquid detergent and they clean the clothes surprisingly well.

http://www.purex.com/purex-3-in-1

I use shout color catchers in just about all loads at home as well and they rock!!

Also, a LONG time ago (like 9 years!) I found a small bottle of All detergent, it's maybe 10oz? I've kept the bottle and just refill it and bring it on the trip with us! I double ziplock bag it, just in case of leakage, but *knock wood* it's never leaked... I found it at Target on an end cap near the housewares aisle, it was on clearance for like $3!! I've never looked again, but it's worth a look-see!

Thanks all for the great Ideas,love the sheet Ideas and the small bottel of lquid I never thought of bringing that. After I posted this I was thinking of putting It In our Grocery delevery, but then we are stoping in LA, to goto DL frist so I dont know If i can wait until we get to WDW to do laundry:scared1:, hay where two guys(my DS does not sweat to much and not nearly as much as I do, but like most teens they like to wear there clouths until they drop off:rotfl2:) so we hve to remind our selfs to do laundry:rotfl2:.

Target sells small one loads of liquid Tide in the bins that you get travel size stuff (shampoo and so on).

$1.00 each

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter