I actually met a real, live pool hopper!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We own DVC and we're supposed to be able to pool hop during certain seasons as long as the resort pool isn't overly crowded. (with the exception...No AKL and Stormalong Bay. Which is okay, cause we're staying at the Beach Club Villas anyway.) But I was actually going to let my teenage daughter use the GF pool for a half an hour before her spa treatment on our upcoming trip. Since My mom and I have appointments 1/2 an hour before hers. But now, I'm kind of feeling like Pool hopping is looked down upon. Even though it is a perk listed on our contract when we bought our DVC. Maybe I'll just have my daughter hang out in the Lobby until her appointment time.

Originally posted by BrianMonk
Wonderful for that family.

Unless a pool is overly crowded, life's too short to get wrapped up in the fact someone is getting a perk you're not without paying for it.

I agree, to heck with teaching your kids stupid values like honesty and integrity when you could be spending that time showing them how to get over on the system. ;)

Originally posted by HoosierFantasia
I imagine the Disney policy is to not upset the herd unless there is a overcrowding problem. Then maybe.
In Las Vegas they definitely don't want you pool hopping. And to avoid this they have someone checking room keys at the entrance to the pools. Now paying someone to verify is making sure it doesn't happen.
But, thats just my opinion.
I wouldn't do it because it seems like it would be just a hassle.

Bill

That might be the Disney policy of the past, but not sure about the future. In talking to friends recently that work for the Mouse, they said alot of discussion had come up recently concerning Pool Hopping and that changes were being discussed. I do know they have received numerous complaints recently from guests wanting it stopped.

I guess we will wait and see.

Originally posted by wdwdvcdad
AMEN!!!! Too many people seem to be so wrapped in other peoples' lives that it interferes with their enjoyment of their own.

And some are so wrapped up in their own personal enjoyment it interferes with someone's elses enjoyment of something they paid for.

All in how you look at it.

My uncle (an Orlando resident) has been known to swim in WDW pools when he's not staying in ANY resort. I know he's been busted a couple times and asked to leave.

Originally posted by MickeyisanNDfan
If You didn't read these boards and the endless threads about "pool hopping" Would you know it wasn't allowed?
If the resort pools were not limited to the resort's guests, the pools would essentially be public pools. Every Florida resident in the area could simply park at Downtown Disney, take a bus over to a resort and swim for free.

Originally posted by Grumpy37
I agree, to heck with teaching your kids stupid values like honesty and integrity when you could be spending that time showing them how to get over on the system. ;)

I say we shoot 'em.

Originally posted by Sammie
And some are so wrapped up in their own personal enjoyment it interferes with someone's elses enjoyment of something they paid for.

All in how you look at it.

ok, I've got it figured out, now...

You would be choice A: Too many people seem to be so wrapped in other peoples' lives that it interferes with their enjoyment of their own.

The Pool Hopper would be Choice B: some are so wrapped up in their own personal enjoyment it interferes with someone's elses enjoyment of something they paid for.

I (and most rational people) would be choice C: If the pool is not over crowded, mind your own business and have some fun. Don't worry about others.

Now, If they are using a mug from last month's trip, then we hang 'em off of the scary clown slide.:wave2: THAT is simply intollerable.:tongue:

ROTFLMAO!!!!:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

And as always, Sammie, I agree with you!

wdwdvcdad...too funny!
10_5_134.gif

Originally posted by wdwdvcdad
ok, I've got it figured out, now...

You would be choice A: Too many people seem to be so wrapped in other peoples' lives that it interferes with their enjoyment of their own.

The Pool Hopper would be Choice B: some are so wrapped up in their own personal enjoyment it interferes with someone's elses enjoyment of something they paid for.

I (and most rational people) would be choice C: If the pool is not over crowded, mind your own business and have some fun. Don't worry about others.

Now, If they are using a mug from last month's trip, then we hang 'em off of the scary clown slide.:wave2: THAT is simply intollerable.:tongue:

I guess since we only go when the resort is at capacity and peak swimming time, summer, it does affect my judgement.

It does not affect my enjoyment. I never said I could not have a good time, I just voiced my opinion like everyone else.

However if I am there during peak time, it's crowded and I do overhear someone bragging about the fact they are pool hopping, then yes I will report them. But then that's part of my enjoyment, :)

if there were plenty of seats available, would you still "report them"?

if the guard lets someone park in the contemporary & go to the magic kingdom, would you "report them"?

It all seems a little too orwelian. I'd rather worry about my own.

I hope you have a great trip on your next excursion to WDW. maybe we'll bump into each other, as I can only go during the summer or school breaks, as well. I'll buy you a beer & we can check room keys together!:wave:

My uncle (an Orlando resident) has been known to swim in WDW pools when he's not staying in ANY resort.

LOL This reminds me of those old guys in the movie Cocoon, sneaking onto private oproperty to use the pool. Bad boys!

Originally posted by HeatherAnn23
Wow - and I thought only us Oregonian's had webbed feet!! So, how do I know the difference between an Oregonian and a pool-hopper - or am I genetically destined to be a pool hopper???:eek:

Oregonians have webbed feet, but only two eyes!!! I should know, I am (was?) one.

T&B

I'm putting on my flame-proof suit now because I'm going to admit that we once briefly pool hopped. We'd stayed at the Poly when the pool was closed for refurbishment and were back at WDW another time. We went to the Poly to rent water mice, which is allowed. Since we were in our swimsuits we let the kids try out the water slide. I sure didn't think it was a big deal, the pool wasn't crowded, we didn't stay long, and we were there and spent $ on the mice. Hopping wasn't our intention for going. I sure didn't consider it a big deal, especially since the Poly pool had been closed when we had actually stayed there.

At the time we were staying at AKL, so another deluxe property, so clearly weren't trying to stay cheap and enjoy the perk of a nice pool.

I'm a pretty "go by the rules" kind of person most of the time, so don't totally roast me! ;)

T&B

I don't really care about the pool hoppers. I sometimes go in the summer and never , ever had a problem with overcrowding in the hotel pool. For all those who go through the trouble of lugging your swimsuits throughout the parks and transportation, more power to you! You get an "A" for effort. Really though, I've never been that involved in the other guest's business to even know who was "hopping" in my resort's pool.:smooth:

I live in south FL where there are tons of hotel pools everywhere. We also live ten minutes form the beach. It would NEVER occur to me to use a hotel pool unless I was a guest of that hotel. I will be at the BC Mem Day weekend which will be crowded enough. I hope they check resort id's.

To all of you out there who feel some of us 'need a life' so to speak (my words, not yours!). Does it ruin my vacation if someone is poolhopping and shouldn't be? No. Do I go and report them? No. But........if I'm paying Polynesian prices for Polynesian amenities, then why should I have to put up with gangs of teen-agers in the main pool, who are just hopping on the monorail and hopping to all the pools? On the day this happened, the volcano pool was chock-a-block full of people. You could barely move. We never saw a CM ask any kids for ID's. We were there when the kids entered and when they left saying they were on their way to GF pool. Were they DVC'rs? Possibly. But I don't think they were ever asked for IDs. That's my gripe.

Perhaps some of the confusion these days is because the Universal resorts allow (an even encourage) pool hopping.

When we made our Universal reservations last year, the reservationist made a point to tell me how you were permitted to use the amentities at the other hotels.

When we called our pool to rent a cabana for the day, we were told there were none available, but we could try the other hotels since the each pool is open to all resort guests.

Just a thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter