I 75, or I79/77?

wrabs

Earning My Ears
Hi guys, I'm new. I tried to search to no avail., so if you've seen this one before, I apologize-I really need the help.

We (3 of us) are going to WDW for the first time with our 5 yr.old. son during March break (Mar. 11-21).

Is the I 75 better, or is the I 79/77 OK during that time of year? I know that officially CAA only reccommends the I 75, plus Mr. Hunter is also big on the I 75, but is the other route so bad?

thanks,
wrabs.

I've never taken the other route but we have taken I75 a number of times and really like it. Especially with the help of the along I75 book. We find it an easy, scenic drive...and i'm sure having the book makes us prefer it even more.

Oh yeah, Welcome to the dis and happy planning!!

wrabs, welcome to the DISboards and especially the Canadian DISboard.
We have driven the I75 route many, many times, actually, we just got home from driving that route to Florida and back about 1 1/2 hrs ago. ::yes::
We purchased the Along 175 book this time and we found that it really enhances your trip even if you don't do any side excursions, it has lots of neat info about the areas you are going through.
I think we drove the other route one time when we were coming home from Port Canaveral. That route is okay also. The roads were easy to drive and not too crowded but we went at the end of January not during March break. I'm not too sure when you get into New York and have to get to Buffalo, how that part goes though.
Whatever route you decide to take, I hope you have a great vacation. Don't hesitate to ask more questions if you have them, we would be glad to help you try to get the answers. :wave2:

Welcome to the DIS, wrabs! We have been driving down during March Break for a few years now and always take the I 75. We prefer this route during the winter months especially, since it is less mountainous. We also travel with Dave Hunter's very informative book.

My dd & I took that route a couple of years ago. I found the mountain roads to be really steep and scary. I think it would be okay once the bad weather is gone but we went in Jan. Other family members always take that route and my dh & I may take that route home from our trip but we are going down on the I-75. There are mountains along I-75 but not the same as the other route. Also, a couple of family members went that way in the winter one year and ended up being stranded on the highway. Now, I make sure we have emergency things in the car but I wouldn't have wanted to have been stranded like that.
tigercat

Welcome Wrabs!
I can help with your question. We drive back and forth from Atlanta to Canada twice per year.
I think the safest way for you to travel during March is I-75. You are less likely to get stuck if there is a storm and if you do run into bad weather you have more choice of hotels, etc. The Dave Hunter book is also a big bonus!
The I79-77 route is very scenic, however as other posters said, it is very mountainous, especially through W.V. The weather can be very unpredictable in this area, with snow and/or fog. The distances between places to stop is also longer. We drove through W.V. at night in the freezing rain once and it wasn't nice!
Also.........
despite what CAA will tell you DO NOT take the I-285 Atlanta bi-pass, even if you are crusing through during rush hour. Go straight through the city on I-75, using the far left HOV lane (two or more passenger lane) You will be amazed at the number of single drivers sitting in traffic, when you will be whizzing by! There is limited truck traffic on I-75 through the city (as they all take the bi-pass) and far fewer accidents than on 285.
Have a great vacation and happy driving!

I forgot... Welcome Wrabs and thanks Yzma & Kronk for the info on Atlanta. I have marked it in my Along I-75. Do you have any other helpful hints?
tigercat

I thank you all for the advice. I think we'll be taking the I 75. Now our only decision is whether to stay on-site, or off site? I'm playing that one smart-I'm letting my wife decide. Thanks folks!

wrabs

tigercat - a few other hints.......
- gas seems to be pretty cheap around here compared to the rest of the country, so if you can time it, gas up in GA. However, if you get past Marietta, GA or so, wait until you get well through the city to get gas.
- the posted speed limit is 55 in/around Atlanta. You will get run over if you go 55 (much like doing 100K on the QEW/401 around Toronto) Traffic usually goes 65/70ish. Do not go 55 on the HOV if traffic is moving along - drivers will get very annoyed - try to go 65 at least.
- once through ATL - do take the Macon bi-pass. It seems to be a bit faster.
- also once through ATL watch your speeding all the way through to Valdosta. There are many speed traps in South GA, and they will ticket. See Dave Hunter's book for the "trap" locations.
- tune into WSB Radio 750AM through Atlanta for continuous traffic reports - and also very interesting talk radio!
That's all I can think of. If you have any specific questions, I'll try to help. :D

Wow thanks, I have put everything in my book. I was also wondering if you would have an idea of how far we could get in a day if we left Bowling Green Ohio (just south of Detroit) in the morning. We are hoping to get as far as Bowling Green the first evening as we are starting till late in the first day. I was trying to figure out about where our next stop would be. We are not pushing straight through as my dh has trouble driving at night. Now I am fine and we will travel during the evening with me driving but we aren't going to kill ourselves. We are getting older and my dh needs to get out of the car every once in a while. Not long stops and not that often but... I'd like to get as far as we can but don't know realistically what is possible.
tigercat

tigercat, quite often we leave around 6pm on a Friday night after dh gets home from work and drive to Lima, Ohio for the night. It takes us about 5 hours. For the next night, Saturday, we stop in Byron, Georgia, which is just below Macon. It takes us about 12 hours to get to this stop. From Byron it takes us about 6 or 7 hours and we usually time our arrival to check-in at the hotel on Sunday afternoon. These all include stops for meals, rest stops, groceries when we get to Orlando, etc.

Thanks for the tips when driving through Atlanta, Yzma and Kronk. I'll make a note in my Along the I 75. We usually travel in a middle lane rather than the HOV. It says in the Along the I 75 book that the I 75 is clearly marked with arrows on the HOV. Is this on overhead signs and is the point where the HOV rejoins the rest of the I 75 traffic easy to maneuver?

If anybody is in the area of exit 92 at Sidney, Ohio at hungry time (we were there at 12:00 noon), try the Applebee's Restaurant at that exit.

We stopped there yesterday. We were extremely pleased with the way the restaurant is run and how the food is prepared. I searched out the Manager before we left and told him we were very impressed with his staff and services. They have only been open since Nov 17. From the girl greeting us at the door, our server and every other employee that came by our table they were friendly one and all. They worked as a team, all seeming to help each other bring out the food, clean the tables etc.
A very excellent dining experience.

This restaurant is not listed in the Along I75 book, I think it was not open yet when the book was published.

Yzma and Cronk...thanks for the tips. I have a question...
Not that Im planning to speed, but how much over the speed limit can you "get away" with? Around here you can pretty much get away with doing 120 in a 100km zone (although my DH has received a ticket for 112km in 100 zone). :eek: Also, we'll be going thru Atlanta on a Saturday. Is there any "rush hour" on a Sat?
Thanks
Karen :eek:

Karen: Hi! (or as they say down here...."hey" ;) )

You shouldn't have any problems crusing through on Saturday. No football games, or construction in the city that I know of.
You can usually get away with 65-75mph - it's exactly like Toronto - 120 is OK 130 is pushing it. However, don't hold me to that, as I've seen the occasional radar trap on 6 lanes of traffic :eek:

Have a great drive!

We just got back yesterday evening. I too was gauging the pros and cons of the I-75 route versus the I79/77 route. I got info for both routes, and ended up choosing the I-75 route for both the drive down and drive back, and am glad we took the I-75.

The advantages of the I-75 route include:
* less mountainous, and don't hit mountains until Tennesse. I79/77 more likely to have snow when you're in the mountains. We just drove back Jan 9 and 10th, and with news about bad snowstorms in the North East, was pleased to find clear roads the entire I-75 route.

* It's simple. Just get on the I-75 and go. No need to be on constant look out for the next highway - a consideration, especially in the winter months when it gets dark earlier.

* Dave Hunter's provides "escape routes", which helped me this trip. On the way down, we ran into really bad traffic south of Atlanta on Dec 26th, and having Dave Hunter's book allowed me to find a quick bypass around the slowdown).

* On speed, I am a quick driver (Orlando to Toronto took 20 hours, not including sleep time, but including all stops for lunch/dinner, washroom, rest, gas, changing drivers with DW, duty free, etc...), and found Dave's info on common radar traps and areas to be careful with speed very helpful. Aside from Dave's info, I would try to keep pace with fast "local" drivers, speed smartly (e.g. think like a radar operator -- be careful when rounding curves, coming down hills, and watching for brake lights way done the road, etc...).

This was my first "long" driving vacation with kids aged 8 and 10. Longest previous driving vacation was only from Toronto to Quebec City. With info on his board and Dave Hunter's book, the trip was very smooth. I would not hesitate to drive again.

Thanks Multimut...wow 20 hours!...I hope we can come close to that. Did you stop over night? If so, where did you stay? How long from Toronto was that? We are in Barrie, so I can just add an hour to your time. How much did it cost you in gas? As a rough idea, if the posted speed limit was 65mph, how much above that would you go? Did you travel in the daytime, or over night? Any tips for entertaining the kids, besides drugging them...LOL ;). We have a DVD, so I am going to borrow some movies they havent seen. Any ideas for good snacks for the car. I was originally hoping to bring fruit and veggies, but see now that that isn't allowed across the border. Im planning as few stops as possible, but realize that the kids will be our deciding factor in that regard!
TIA
Karen

Yes I would be interested in the amount you paid for gas as well. But what kind of car do you have? I have a mini van and it takes more gas than my dh's neon.
tigercat

We drove an Infiniti G35 Sedan -- it's a fast car, but not known for fuel efficiency.

I'd have to wait for the credit card statements to confirm fuel costs.. but I'd estimate about 2 1/2 tanks of gas for the return trip (don't ask me how much gas the fuel tank holds).

We left Orlando at 2:00 pm, and stopped for dinner south of Macon at a Chick-Fill-A (wanted to try this chain since we don't have it in Canada -- it's very good -- chicken only, great chicken sandwiches). After dinner got to Calhoun at 9:00 pm, just north of Altanta, and close to Tennesse border, staying at a Jameson's Inn (using the traveller's coupon book -- $49 only). We used the traveller's coupon books and crossed referenced with Dave Hunter's book, looking for stops where there where Wingates, Jameson's, Signiture Inns, Hampton Inn, Fairfield Inns, as I've had good experiences with these. Calhoun had Jameson, Hampton, and Holiday Inn Express -- all with coupons.

Actually, looking at the times again, it was probably closer to 21 hours, including a leisurely lunch at the family run Country Grill at exit 159 recommended in Dave's book.

On speed, both DW and I like to drive quickly. I think the key is not to stand out. If other cars where also going quickly, I was comfortably going 80 mph in a 65 mph zone (I'd try to be at the third car in a group), but would slow down if Dave's book suggested a radar trap was coming up. The locals tended to slow down too when approaching areas with known traps too. I would also go faster if I had clear view, no known traps, and there were local drivers also going faster. Also, while Dave's book does point out the most common radar locations, we did see radar in other locations too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter