Hybrid Campers

jkthorstad

Mouseketeer
We currently have a pop up, but my husband is looking at hybrids. Looking for feedback from people who have them. Please let me know what you like and what you don't. Also, are there REALLY advantages over a large pop up (ours has a slide out and everything)

Thanks

We currently have a pop up, but my husband is looking at hybrids. Looking for feedback from people who have them. Please let me know what you like and what you don't. Also, are there REALLY advantages over a large pop up (ours has a slide out and everything)

Thanks

My mom spent all winter torn between a large PUP (had a slide and bathroom) and a hybrid TT. We took her to an RV show and she was able to go in and out of a lot of them. In the end she went with the hybrid for a few reasons.

1- The hybrid holds the heat better which is important here in MI
2- The inside is accessible while on the road. She can stop and use her own bathroom and even get to the kitchen and dinette if she wanted to. With the PUP she couldn't access anything inside
3- If it's raining when they get to the campground they don't HAVE to pop out the beds right away. They've even slept on the sofa bed because of weather before.
4- Lots more storage
5- A bigger fridge
6- Most importantly, in the end the hybrid only cost them $1000 more than the large PUP would have.

Some things that she doesn't like as much:
1- They had to pay for storage since it wouldn't fit in their garage
2- At first she was nervous about pulling it, but she is fine with it now

She has a 23ft Surveyor

We are looking at the hybrids as well for our personal use. I think we missed the RV show in Orlando this year. I am not sure if there is another anytime soon. I will be curious to hear everyone's opinions on this topic.

Shannon - I have seen alot of great deals in Michigan on the Hybrids and expandables. Unfortunately, it is a little far for us to drive to pick up a TT.

I've been lurking on the hybrid and popup boards on other sites because I'd like to upgrade to a hybrid sometime in the future. We nowhave a highwall popup with a slide-out dinette. What I've learned....:teacher:

Early on hybrids got a bad rep for water leaking in around the bed seal when they were closed up either in storage or on the road. These have mostly been addressed design-wise but the topic comes up from time to time.

Hybrids are heavier than pop-ups so if your tow vehicle has the added capacity to pull the extra weight then it's not an issue.

Shannone1 gives a good overview on her points. BTW, people refer to staying in the hybrid overnight while it's closed up (no setup) as "turtling" (like a turtle).

Besides easier setup, having a "more permanent" living area and bath facilities is the main attraction. Also, you'll have more surface area to pull against towing so your mileage might take a double-hit (the extra weight plus the greater surface area). Given what's happened with gas prices lately and how far you travel this might be a factor.

Good luck!
Bama ED

PS-let us know how it turns out. One day I'll be like ftwildernessguy/Jim and take a hybrid to the Fort :rolleyes: He's on this board and I'm sure he has all kinds of first-hand advice.

I have been a hybrid owner for the last 7 years, and a long time popup owner prior to that (18years). I would not go back to the popup. My hybrid is easier to put up, more convenient on the ride down as far as access to the interior and quick naps while we are turtling, and much easier to pack since I can get inside anytime and load it without putting it up. We had a minor leak in the front bed when closed, but was easily remedied by the dealer with a new gasket. The drawbacks are as stated - lower gas mileage, more weight. But with a good tow vehicle, a weight distribution hitch and anti sway, it is not a big deal at all - just budget more for gas. As an example - I pull my hybrid with a Ford f150 with a 5.4l V-8. I normally get 17 mpg on the highway. Pulling, I get 11-13 mpg. My hybrid weighs in at about 4900lbs wet. It is a 21ft but open has the living space of a 30foot TT.

Talk to your RV dealer and tax folks about the class of TT you are considering. There can be a tax advantage to larger RVs. If an RV has permanently installed facilities, i.e. RV toilet, shower, and you spend at least 14 days a year in it, Uncle Sam will let you class it as a 2nd home in which case you can include any loan interest you pay on the TT as mortgage expense on your taxes.:cool1:

We have owned our HTT for 3 years now. We had a PUP before. We love the HTT. Ours is a 2005 Kodiak 25QB. It only has 1 fold out bunk. It can sleep 10 open and 8 turtled up.

Pros.
-Sence the beds are on the outside, the hybrid can be shorter than a regular TT. Less length = less weight.
-Smaller TV needed to tow.
-Pack it without having to open it up.
-leave it packed.
-easier to setup.
-own bathroom for the middle of the night.
-conveniance of a TT but still have the tent for those who like the more camping feel.
-A/C works great.
-Bigger kitchen is great.
-bigger fridge.
-etc........

neg.
-costs more fuel to tow.(more than worth it)
-tent ends have been known to sweat( pupupgizmos and air movement solve that)
more to clean. (this is not fun but orth it)
-ummmm ummmmmm
-can use it for bathroom stops along the way( oops thats a pro)
-ummmmm ummmm
im sure there are other cons but can't think of any at the moment.
WHat ever you decide to do enjoy.
Here is a link for picture of our HTT. Check it out.
http://community.webshots.com/user/Thumper_ehhhh

Here is a good site that is specific to hybrids:

http://www.hybridexplorer.com/

I went from a popup to a Aerolite Cub 236 Hybrid and last season was our 1st full season with it. It is much heavier and I can tell it is back there while towing. I think of it as a big billboard attached to my SUV. But I did my homework and got the best Weight Distribution Hitch, brake controller etc. I do plan to upgrade my Tow Vehicle in the next year or so, but that was in the plans even before we bought the new hybrid.

We love it. The extra space that is available is GREAT!! With 2 kids, we don't trip over each other. All our gear that was in the popup is in the hybrid and I still have lots of open space!

As mentioned above, we had issues with condensation in the bunks on cold nights. The popup gizmos ( http://www.popupgizmos.com/ ) bunk end covers take care of this issue so I highly recommend those. I contacted Bob at popup gizmos and they did not have my camper in the database, so he instructed me how to measure each bunkend and he custom made them for me at no extra charge and they fit perfectly. I had these on my popup too, but did not buy them for the hybrid right away. 1st trip out after buying it and had condensation and ordered the "gizmos" the day i got home from my 1st trip. No more condensation.

Goto the website I mentioned above and plan on reading the posts there and jump right in and ask questions.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup2

Here is a good site that is specific to hybrids:

http://www.hybridexplorer.com/

I went from a popup to a Aerolite Cub 236 Hybrid and last season was our 1st full season with it. It is much heavier and I can tell it is back there while towing. I think of it as a big billboard attached to my SUV. But I did my homework and got the best Weight Distribution Hitch, brake controller etc. I do plan to upgrade my Tow Vehicle in the next year or so, but that was in the plans even before we bought the new hybrid.

We love it. The extra space that is available is GREAT!! With 2 kids, we don't trip over each other. All our gear that was in the popup is in the hybrid and I still have lots of open space!

As mentioned above, we had issues with condensation in the bunks on cold nights. The popup gizmos ( http://www.popupgizmos.com/ ) bunk end covers take care of this issue so I highly recommend those. I contacted Bob at popup gizmos and they did not have my camper in the database, so he instructed me how to measure each bunkend and he custom made them for me at no extra charge and they fit perfectly. I had these on my popup too, but did not buy them for the hybrid right away. 1st trip out after buying it and had condensation and ordered the "gizmos" the day i got home from my 1st trip. No more condensation.

Goto the website I mentioned above and plan on reading the posts there and jump right in and ask questions.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup2

Not sure what you're towing with, but my guess is you are probably pretty close to your limit if you notice that big a difference when you tow. I started towing my hybrid with a Ford Explorer Sport Trac. What a difference when I upgraded to the f150.

Not sure what you're towing with, but my guess is you are probably pretty close to your limit if you notice that big a difference when you tow. I started towing my hybrid with a Ford Explorer Sport Trac. What a difference when I upgraded to the f150.

Chevy TrailBlazer with V6 4.2L Engine and 3.73 gear with locking differential. Rated at 5700lbs. We knew we were coming in close and knew we would upgrade it in the future. Wish I had gotten the V8 version of the TB. But the plan is to get a Toyota Tundra hopefully by the time we goto Disney.

Chevy TrailBlazer with V6 4.2L Engine and 3.73 gear with locking differential. Rated at 5700lbs. We knew we were coming in close and knew we would upgrade it in the future. Wish I had gotten the V8 version of the TB. But the plan is to get a Toyota Tundra hopefully by the time we goto Disney.

I just talked to a guy who just got an '08 Tundra and he can't say enough good things about that truck. He says it is rated to tow 10,500lbs. That should do the job for you.

Talk to your RV dealer and tax folks about the class of TT you are considering. There can be a tax advantage to larger RVs. If an RV has permanently installed facilities, i.e. RV toilet, shower, and you spend at least 14 days a year in it, Uncle Sam will let you class it as a 2nd home in which case you can include any loan interest you pay on the TT as mortgage expense on your taxes.:cool1:

To qualify as a second/vacation home and be eligible for mortgage interest deduction, it must have sleeping, bathroom and kitchen facilities. Unless it's a FEMA hybrid, any size hybrid would qualify. I'm only kidding about the FEMA hybrid.

This is slightly incorrect information. There is no test for "permanently installed facilities" and the only test that requires "spend at least 14 days a year in it" deals with a house that you rent out part of the year.

But, understand, I am not a tax professional, I don't even play one on TV. Take all advice you get
over the internet with a grain of salt.

Now, if we look atIRS Publication 936 - Home Mortgage Interest Deduction you will find what qualifies.

It states: "For you to take a home mortgage interest deduction, your debt must be secured by a qualified home. This means your main home or your second home. A home includes a house, condominium, cooperative, mobile home, house trailer, boat, or similar property that has sleeping, cooking, and toilet facilities." That is the test, it has to have all three.

As with many laws and regulations, there is no further definition of "sleeping, cooking, and toilet facilities". This is left up to you as to what you feel comfortable claiming, if audited what the IRS auditor believes and previous tax court rulings on this definition.

I do know that many folks with boats claim the second house deduction for boats with porta pottis.

The other key word is "secured". Again, from the IRS Publication 936 - Home Mortgage Interest Deduction the definition of secured debt is: "your mortgage is a secured debt if you put your home up as collateral to protect the interests of the lender. If you cannot pay the debt, your home can then serve as payment to the lender to satisfy (pay) the debt." So, the pop up MUST be collateral for the loan and it must be at risk if you don't pay the loan.

Again, talk to your tax professional about this issue - don't just take my word for it!

My tax person told me I couldn't use my loan interst and I live in mine on the road as well as pay for my home....do I need a new tax person??? I asked another and he told me no as well!!!

My tax person told me I couldn't use my loan interst and I live in mine on the road as well as pay for my home....do I need a new tax person??? I asked another and he told me no as well!!!

It depends,

Do you meet the two tests required by the law:

Does it have "sleeping, cooking, and toilet facilities." ( That is the test, it has to have all three)

The second test, is the loan "secured" by the RV?

If you meet both tests it is possible that your CPA is a little too conservative.

Again, I am not a tax professional, I don't even play one on TV. Go read the IRS publication I have listed and see what you think.

My guess is that most RV loans are secured by the RV, like auto loans. I can't think of a situation where it would be unsecured or held by other collateral, unless you use your credit card to buy it and don't mind paying outrageous interest. In the past, popups were not included in the tax deduction because of the lack of bathroom facilities. That has changed in many models today, however. With reference to djblu - I would look for another accountant. I know mine told me I couldn't until I showed him the IRS publication that Tim referred to. This publication, or an excerpt from it, is available at most RV dealers.

We used a Home Equity Loan to purchase our Hybrid. I was able to deduct on taxes for that loan.

I just talked to a guy who just got an '08 Tundra and he can't say enough good things about that truck. He says it is rated to tow 10,500lbs. That should do the job for you.

Yep, I have read nothing but good things about it. Just paid the TrailBlazer off today (thanks irs tax refund!!) and no other car payment so now I can take that money and apply it towards the down payment for a Tundra in a year.

Last weekend we went out for mothers day, it was my family (5), my brother and his wife and my sister’s(5) family who has a pop-up. Most of the weekend, people were in & out of our camper. With a slide out sofa and stationary kitchen table, there was room for 5-6 adults at one time(although a little tight). Saturday night the wind was at 30-50 MPH(got me out of bed to take a look around and also took off a few awnings) but the camper was solid, but the sleep was minimal. Evidently the pop-up was moving quite a bite..

The only thing I have second regrets about was not having the full side slide. On our camper the sofa slides, but not the kitchen table… Over all we love the camper, look at the size of the bed, not all are created equal. How tall are you? If taller than 6’, there are some bed that are short, like 74” no the full 80”….

As for our camper we have a 2003 aerolite c236, bought in 2005 and we have towed it with a ford explorer 4.0 SOHC ’99 to Florida and back, the ford did an ok job but was totally aware the camper was back there. The old adage tow at 80%, I did not do this and I could tell.

We recently bought a 2500 suburban 6.0L and it tows like a dream…. The C236 comes out at around 5,500-6,000LBS……

Buy used, save the money, but do a thorough check out……… Leakage is not an issue…

We also write off the camper interest as a 2nd mortage
SP

As I was heading to my car to go to work this morning I herd a high pitch beeping noise coming from my Trailer. Come to find out it was my Propane Gas alarm.
The Trailer is winterized and the propane is turn off. So I was trying to figure out how to turn the dame thing off. I was going to unplug the trailers electricity from the outlet inside the garage only to find out it wasn’t plug in, so I plug it in and the alarm went off.
I have a few questions about this.
1. What would cause that to happen?
2. By plugging the Trailer in, does that charge your Trailer Battery?
3. By not having your Trailer plug in, does that drain the battery from the safety equipment being on, or should I disconnect the battery all together?

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter