Hurricane Sandy and East Coast - anyone preparing yet?

We were spared any damage and we never lost power however others in my area weren't so lucky.
I am watching the news and seeing the devastation everywhere and keeping all those effected in my thoughts.

Here in Northern VA, we can't believe it but we actually have power. We didn't lose it last night which totally shocked us. Prayers go out to all those with damage.

Every time I watch coverage of a hurricane, I'm always awed by the great power of nature.

My father was, among other things, a commercial fisherman. He used to like to say that hurricanes are God's way of reminding us that we are not in charge.

All is well here now. I am in the PA, DE, NJ tri-state region. Scary high winds last night and we lost power for about 6 hours. I am so grateful for the speedy fix with the power. Our basement stayed dry, (that was my biggest fear) and I didn't see any damage outside. We and our neighbors have some very tall trees. I had one of mine cut down last fall after watching it swing back and forth during hurricane winds. So glad we cut it down and trimmed all the others back.

My parents had firemen come through their neighborhood just before Sandy made landfall yesterday asking if they wanted to evacuate due to flooding. They declined because their house is high. The problem was the only road out of the development was flooding, but it's clear now.

ETA: My prayers are with our neighboring state of NJ. The coast was hit like I've never seen before. I know some people that have been told they will not get power restored for 2 weeks!! Others with homes at the shore won't even be able to go check on them any time soon due to extensive flooding.

We are ok but my town is destroyed. The boardwalk is completely gone. My car floated away. We evacuated and are safe but still accounting for friends and neighbors, there were 80 houses destroyed by fire during/after the storm. Our church rectory and a much beloved neighborhood destroyed by fire. Very very sad.

We are ok but my town is destroyed. The boardwalk is completely gone. My car floated away. We evacuated and are safe but still accounting for friends and neighbors, there were 80 houses destroyed by fire during/after the storm. Our church rectory and a much beloved neighborhood destroyed by fire. Very very sad.

I meant much beloved restaurant

So so sorry. :(

Everyone in my area was bracing for such a huge storm. Its weird, we were all prepared and the storm shifted last minute. We we're supposed to get hit super hard, but it all went north east of us!

I watched the news today and they were showing video feed of areas close to water. The water didn't get as high as expected which shocked everyone.

Im thankful that the outcome for me was a good one and I will continue to pray for everyone else out there.

Everyone in my area was bracing for such a huge storm. Its weird, we were all prepared and the storm shifted last minute. We we're supposed to get hit super hard, but it all went north east of us!

I watched the news today and they were showing video feed of areas close to water. The water didn't get as high as expected which shocked everyone.

Im thankful that the outcome for me was a good one and I will continue to pray for everyone else out there.

Hurricanes along the Gulf usual jog a little to the East before landfall. Did Sandy jog a little North or South of expected landfall?

The pic of the roller coaster in Seaside Heights looks really bad. Did the storm drag the coaster into the water or did the storm take away the beach and move the coastline that much?

So very sad for the lots homes, businesses, and all!

Robbi said:
Hurricanes along the Gulf usual jog a little to the East before landfall. Did Sandy jog a little North or South of expected landfall?

I honestly don't know. I couldn't track it last night as we had all our tvs and stereos unplugged. From what I heard it hit new jersey instead of md. Which is north east from md. I really don't know, I should get a little more educated in these sorts of things since I am planning on moving down to Louisiana! Haha

I wouldn't call it unnecessary hype. While our area did not get hit as hard as they predicted, we had some pretty impressive winds throughout the night. We were soooo lucky that our basement didn't flood like it did with Hurricane Floyd. Some of our neighbors had trees come down or split in their hards, but now houses damaged or people hurt.

However, the damage to the Jersey shore and the film footage they have been showing of ALL the coastal towns is devastating. So much was destroyed -- including the Atlantic City Boardwalk and some of the Ocean City boardwalks are gone. Houses and restarurants have caught fire from downed power lines and most of the roadways are flooded out, including parts of the Garden State Parkway.

All of our workplaces were closed for both days. We were very lucky in our area, but my thoughts and prayers are certainly with those who lived in the areas that got virtually destroyed.

The pic of the roller coaster in Seaside Heights looks really bad. Did the storm drag the coaster into the water or did the storm take away the beach and move the coastline that much?

That is where we always go. I was so saddened to see the devastation there and all along the coast.

We had a huge pine tree that fell, but thankfully it went down sideways across the back yard and only took out some fences and a shed. It was scary, but I consider ourselves lucky. My prayers are with everyone who has been hit so hard by this.

About the hype thing: I dint think the media can win,if its really bad and they didn't hype it people would complain and then it turns out not so bad. And people still whine. Good grief be greatful it wasn't bad for YOU. Isabel in 2003 was really bad. And reallly bad for my house. However other houses in our cul de sac didn't have a tree on it. People need to get scared you can't tell what nature may do for you or your loved ones. The same people who say oh it won't be that bad are the ones who don't take it seriously and end up being in the ice line or going around neighborhhoods possibly trying to loot because they have no generator or food or water. Or like in Greenwich Ct had a mandatory evac and chose not to leave then got scared and the national guard had to risk their lives for those idiots for Sandy.

My thoughts are with you and everyone on the NJ Coast.

From what I read the water came in and destroyed alot of the boardwalk. I don't think the coaster moved, I think the water came and took over.
The devastation is just so awful to see, my heart goes out to the people there.

I do not think you can view this video and think it was hype:

www.necn.com/10/30/12/Hurricane-San...n-in-long-beach-island/#.UJAo3tPbckQ.facebook

This is Beach Haven NJ on LBI. The Island sustained overwhelming damage. The sand lays thick in the roads, in homes, houses off pilings, etc.

If people had thought it was all "hype" and had not left, there'd be many more deaths to report. there is no electricity or water on the Island now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter