Hurricane experiences at WDW

jimmykitefan

Mouseketeer
We are currently at Pop for Irma. We were also at ASMusic for Hurricane Jeanne back in 2004. We are not locals. We're from Michigan. Anyone else out there that have experienced more than one hurricane at Disney, especially non locals?

What's going on there? Bad winds, or just mainly rain? We haven't heard much about Orlando on the news here. Stay safe!!

What's going on there? Bad winds, or just mainly rain? We haven't heard much about Orlando on the news here. Stay safe!!

I'm a local who lives 5 minutes from MK,last night I went to MK until it closed.It didn't rain for the 3 hours or so I was there,today its been raining pretty much all day with winds of 30mph or so gusting to around 50mph.As the night goes on those winds will come up as the storm gets closer to Tampa but as its eye has moved onshore it just starts losing strength so the 130mph gusts I saw the weather channel reporter brave in Naples are not going to happen in Central Florida.I'm thinking well see sustained winds of 50mph with gusts getting just over hurricane strength(75-90mph).There's been some tornadoes near Daytona that brought trees down and damaged houses and as long as more of those don't occur the damage will be mostly trees down,shingles down,maybe some weak structures getting damage.I think the time the storm spent over Cuba is what has brought it down to more reasonable wind speeds.I went through the middle of Andrew with sustained 155mph winds and gusts near 200mph and that was total destruction for the areas that it hit,luckily that was a much smaller storm,this thing is affecting the entire state due to its size and that its moving up and down the state instead of crisscrossing it.

Last edited:
This is our third. I am always impressed by the way that Disney handles these things.

One. Wilma. We actually left on the last flight out of MCO before it closed. Disney handed it amazingly; the captain on our flight...not so much. He freaked everyone on the plane put with his comments.

No regrets. We immediately booked the next years trip and haven't stopped. Currently, we're spending my dd's 20th bday at WDW this year arriving on thanksgiving and leaving the following Tuesday. It's her 12th trip and my 22nd.

We must have good luck. We go to WDW almost every year in late August to mid September for the last 20 years. We have never had any storm or hurricaine in all those visits.

We have gone the Saturday after Labor Day for the last 10 years or so. So we would normally be booked for this week & would have been scheduled to arrive yesterday. We are going in December this year with our DS & DDIL so we skipped September. So our good luck continues! As we're watching the news I keep saying to my DH "we would be there"!

We are currently at Pop for Irma. We were also at ASMusic for Hurricane Jeanne back in 2004. We are not locals. We're from Michigan. Anyone else out there that have experienced more than one hurricane at Disney, especially non locals?

This is our third. I am always impressed by the way that Disney handles these things.

Please alert me to any future reservations you may have. ;)

Experienced Matthew last year. Some of it was handled well. Other things were not. Food service, in particular was chaotic.

Please alert me to any future reservations you may have. ;)
We are here 2-3 times/year for 10-14 days per trip. Most of our trips have been blessed with amazing weather. Gotta take the bad with the good in life.

I was there last year for Matthew. Our resort (The Swan) was simply amazing. Their restaurants stayed open the entire time, and management was great about communication.

I've been through a few hurricanes in my life. One in my teens when we got evacuated from our rented beach house to a school gym. Gloria in the mid-80s. We were at the beach again for Floyd in 1999.

Irene in 2011 was pretty bad since our basement and my in-laws' entire house were flooded. And then there was Sandy in 2012. No terrible damage for us personally, but over a week of living like refugees. My BFF's car and home were flooded.

Really, being in Disney for Matthew was a piece of cake compared to some of my other hurricane experiences.

I was there for Floyd (the first time the parks closed). It turned out not to hit as badly as they thought it would so we were out doing non-park activities like riding a surrey bike around the Wilderness Lodge grounds. We were there a few years later when a bad one hit (can't remember which one) and we were staying in Jambo House at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. It was actually a cool experience because the staff did extra lectures on Africa, African dancing, and story telling to keep guests entertained. Some friends of ours who were there at the same time were confined to their room at Old Key West.

We were there for Francis (2004). The parks were closed the Saturday and Sunday before Labor Day. We were pretty much confined to our room at Pop Century until the resort opened up again Sunday afternoon. Since the resort closed Friday night, we had to stock up on food to last us the week-end. Disney was selling Styrofoam coolers and ice to guests but we were able to have a refrigerator delivered to our room (long before they were standard). Disney also extended our park tickets for 1 day (we were originally supposed to leave on Saturday). Although Disney charged us the full room rate for the extra 2 nights at Pop, we contacted them after we got home and they gave us a partial refund. Labor Day at Magic Kingdom was great because it was pretty much empty.

We were there for Charley. We all gathered at my uncle's room at OKW and really couldn't tell anything was going on outside unless you opened the doors. That was a quick one, too. The parks closed early before it hit and by midnight that day we could drive back to our own room at Coronado and the parks (except AK) were open the next day.

Yep was here for Frances. Had no concerns as I knew how well they took care of us back then. We are from the Midwest and all my family thought we were crazy. I was like, " not worried". That being said we were well prepared for it having gone thru one before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter