How would war with Iraq affect your WDW DVC plans this year?

How would war with Iraq affect your DVC vacation plans this year?

• I have reservations for 2003 and would cancel them

• I have reservations for 2003 and would wait until just before any banking/cancellation deadline to d

• I have reservations for 2003 and plan to keep them if Disney's doors are open

• I have not made reservations for 2003 and likely would not make them

• War or not, I have no plans to visit Disney in 2003

Results are only viewable after voting.

FredS

DIS Veteran
DVC members are in a little different class because of banking and separate cancellation policies, so I was particularly interested in how other DVC owners would react to a war with Iraq, at least as regarding their vacation plans for the year. I am also curious as to how that would affect NEXT year's reservations and availability if many people cancelled for 2003.

We leave (flying down) in 4 days for OKW.Unless all airplanes are grounded ;) , we will be in Florida.
biggthumpup.gif

You did not have an answer for me, so, I will just say, if I decide to travel, I will, I doubt this will have any effect on me, other than the normal sadness that it is happening.

We already went in January 2003, but if war had broken out before then we still would have gone.

Our guide told us that DVC members love Disney so much that they still had a 90% occupancy rate the weeks following 9/11 even though their other resort occupancy had dropped considerably.

After we joined and read the guidelines we quickly learned exactly why.

We plan on going to HH for a week (driving) in June and WDW for a week in July (flying). At this point, I don't see anything that would keep us from going. I think even if air travel were suspended, we would still jump in the car and drive down there.

As long as I can fly or drive there, I plan to fulfill all four of my planned trips.

ncligs. We'll see you in OKW. Olivia's, shrimp fritters and citrus coolers, here we come. Bump Saddam!!

We'll be there next week and again in August. Unless the park closes :( you can expeect me making my PS's and at the gates!!!

(I'm so jealous of all of you going at the end of the week, we couldn't get a flight out until Sunday - see you all there)

I am planning an African Safari thru the Adventure Collection this fall. I checked on the Travel Insurance. It does not cover war unless the war is taking place in the country I am going to. Well, guess what - I'm going anyway. A week after 9-11, my family and 25 other people left for Jamaica for my son's wedding. Not one person cancelled! Life is too short - we simply can't put our plans on hold.

We are definitely going in Dec. We went 2 weeks after 9/11. If we dont go on with our lives, then Saddam and Osama win. Those folks on the front lines are there so those kinds of people cant take those freedoms away from us. Im not a war monger, in fact I wish peace would prevail, but it doesnt look like we have a lot of options left. Pray that President Bush makes the right decisions for our country, because I believe he is praying to his Creator looking for the right answers.

Jimmy

Originally posted by jimmytammy
We are definitely going in Dec. We went 2 weeks after 9/11. If we dont go on with our lives, then Saddam and Osama win. Those folks on the front lines are there so those kinds of people cant take those freedoms away from us. Im not a war monger, in fact I wish peace would prevail, but it doesnt look like we have a lot of options left. Pray that President Bush makes the right decisions for our country, because I believe he is praying to his Creator looking for the right answers.

Jimmy

Right on Jimmy! We went in Oct after 9/11. Airtravel was a bear but once you get to THE WORLD it's all worth it!!!:D

We have trips planned for BWV the end of this month and BCV (HOME!) in October for the golf tournee....only way we would cancel is if DVC did or if DH was told he couldnt take leave -- he is in the USAF. :wave:

Originally posted by poohbear1029
We have trips planned for BWV the end of this month and BCV (HOME!) in October for the golf tournee....only way we would cancel is if DVC did or if DH was told he couldnt take leave -- he is in the USAF. :wave:

poohbear,

Much prayers of support for your DH!!!!

I'm wondering if the original posters intent was to express concern over visiting a high visibility location like WDW, using airlines, or the uncertainty of a large vacation monetary expenditure.

At a time of many brave men and women putting themselves in harms way, the reality probably is that we may all be in greater danger than ever before as we are now at our ORANGE state of alert. At a time like this, it might be an even more important time to get away from work, bring the family close and spend quality time together at a beautiful place like our DVC resorts. We are planning on continuing with our vacation plans, with special thoughts and prayers for my brother serving in the Air Force that he comes back safe.

We will keep your brother in mind during our prayers. My BIL is in USAF just back from Afghanistan. We hope he doesnt have to go back anytime soon.

I can't think of a better way to show that they haven't gotten us than to go to Mickey World and have a great time. To me that has got to be the ultimate. While they are out there dodging Tomahawks picking sand out of their teeth, DW and I will be enjoying Valentines Day in the happiest place on earth. The ultimate in up yours to the terrorists. (hope I can say that???)

We have a DVC vacation planned in 2003, I would not change a thing. Our life is a cake walk compared to other generations who fought for our way of life we enjoy today.

I dont worry about things you can't control. My only concern would be the economy so if/when the terrorist strike again, we will spend alittle more money than usual. Anything to counter the terrorist objectives.

Originally posted by Kirk
Why would anyone cancel? Fear of terrorism?

Fear of terrorism would be one, but probably toward the bottom of the list for most. On one hand, making a point to not change your plans to avoid any accusation of giving power to the enemy has some validity, but for some it is not practical. An actual war could affect one's finances in a negative way, or at least add an element of uncertainty. A close friend or family member may be called to fight. Many people would just find comfort in staying close to home during that sort of event. Just as after September 11th there were many cancelled trips.

Unless there are major problems with the transportation system, I don't think war would affect our planned trips. I think that may well be a very different situation if a loved one was actively engaged in fighting. Personally, I would be uncomfortable on vacation while they were risking death. Regardless of any thought that they would want me to go, I would feel, I don't know--sad, disrespectful, just feel like it would be inappropriate and I would rather save the trip until I know they are out of harm's way.

There is also a practical aspect to my question. I was just thinking that if a large percentage of DVCers cancelled trips this year, that the next year or two could be really difficult as far as making reservations when those banked points must be used. So far, it appears that DVC reservations shouldn't be tremendously affected, as least that is the response of today's optimistic group. :D

Our guide told us that DVC members love Disney so much that they still had a 90% occupancy rate the weeks following 9/11 even though their other resort occupancy had dropped considerably.

I was there the Friday after 9/11 and it was very very deserted.
It may have zoomed up to about 90% the week after, but, for the first week after it was deserted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter