How wet can an ecv get?

pisc0011

Earning My Ears
I was trying to think if should should go with Buena Vista or Walker Mobility. It is nice that walker says they are water resistant. We were trying to think of scenarios of when it would get wet and want to hear what others have done. For instance, if we were in a show and come out and its raining. Can you drive it or is it stalled? Also, if we are walking out to the buses and it starts raining, can they (the non water resistant ones) get wet and still work?
If you get the non resistant ones, what do you use to cover the electrical parts? I am assuming it is just the handlebar area or is it the whole scooter that you need to cover?

We used Walker last year. They are fully functional in the rain. You only have to use a small plastic baggie to cover the control panel. They provide that with the scooter. Not sure about any other brands. However, the seat is cloth, so you would want to push the seat back down when leaving it outside so that the seat isn't wet when you come back. Learned that one be hard way lol

Reactions: DJ!
I have two ponchos also. One for the scooter and one for me! It's not nice to sit on a wet seat and you def want to cover those controls. Also try to park it in shelter like PP said.

Used Walker last year and they provided 2 shower cap thingys for the controls. Got caught in a couple downpours.

I have always used Walker and never had a problem since I used the shower cap thing. I have seen other scooters stalled after being left in a heavy downpour uncovered. FL weather is very unpredictable in summer.

Now that own my own scooter (former Walker rental) I cover the control panel if there is even a hint of rain. I use a black trash bag with ties for the front (tied tight) and an oversized poncho for the seat. Works great.

I'd be interested in the answer to this question. What I really wonder is whether Walker's water resistance is a big plus over Buena Vista's convenience as a featured vendor. I've used Walker twice now and although their service was excellent, having to meet them for pick up and drop off was really a pain, especially on this last trip when we were at OKW. I was thinking of Buena Vista next time, but I do wonder about the water resistance (but come to think of it, it's only rained one day in 2 week-long trips, and then I stayed in anyways).

We had two of Apple's on our last trip. We were camping at Fort Wilderness and forgot to cover them the first night we were there. We had a huge, hour or two long thunderstorm and the both got soaked. Even awoken by the storm, I forgot they were uncovered. Next morning, when I saw them sitting there, my heart sank. I thought for sure I had some serious explaining to do. Fortunately, after being dried off, they both worked perfectly for the next week.

Although we never had any additional rain, they were securely covered every night after that. For in the parks, we each carry a poncho in pouch on the back of the seat.

We usually rent for Buena Vista for my mom. In the past they supplied a poncho to use to cover the controller/handles. What we usually do is if it looks like it is going to rain before we head into a ride/ADR we try to find a spot that is covered to store the scooter (however this is few and far between) so we fold down the back of the chair, cover the whole scooter with the poncho (sometimes we get a second one just to make sure that the whole thing is covered) and secure with a clip so it doesn't fly off.

We have never had any issue driving in light rain, but tend to go into a store if it is a downpour (no body wants to get rained on) and wait it out.

We usually rent for Buena Vista for my mom. In the past they supplied a poncho to use to cover the controller/handles. What we usually do is if it looks like it is going to rain before we head into a ride/ADR we try to find a spot that is covered to store the scooter (however this is few and far between) so we fold down the back of the chair, cover the whole scooter with the poncho (sometimes we get a second one just to make sure that the whole thing is covered) and secure with a clip so it doesn't fly off.

We have never had any issue driving in light rain, but tend to go into a store if it is a downpour (no body wants to get rained on) and wait it out.

We are renting from Buena Vista for the first time in May and I was wondering if they will leave the plastic when they deliver the scooter to your hotel even though you pick it up later in the day. (We are arriving around 6pm and they said the scooter would be delivered earlier in the day) Thanks for your information. This helps me a lot with planning my trip. :ccat:

Walker Mobility sticks a couple in the seat pocket back. I have never used a different vendor but would guess they are the same. If they provide the caps, they will be with the dropped off scooter.

If you are worried about it, bring a large trash bag from home as a good back up. Won't take much room in the suitcase. The dollar stores might sell the little caps but I have never looked for one.

I'd be interested in the answer to this question. What I really wonder is whether Walker's water resistance is a big plus over Buena Vista's convenience as a featured vendor. I've used Walker twice now and although their service was excellent, having to meet them for pick up and drop off was really a pain, especially on this last trip when we were at OKW. I was thinking of Buena Vista next time, but I do wonder about the water resistance (but come to think of it, it's only rained one day in 2 week-long trips, and then I stayed in anyways).

All scooters are somewhat water sensitive. However, the main reason that I like Walker over the others is that they do provide you with the cover for the tiller electronics and if you consistently rent from them, they will eventually make you a gold member and with that you book at incredibly low rates, no matter if you need/want a heavy duty scooter or not, you get a super low rate.

There was nothing wrong with renting from Buena Vista, when I did use them, but Walker has always been extremely professional and provided quality equipment. Their customer service is wonderful too. Walker might be worth it in the long run, if you plan on going to WDW and have a more or less persistent need for a scooter when you do.

We are renting from Buena Vista for the first time in May and I was wondering if they will leave the plastic when they deliver the scooter to your hotel even though you pick it up later in the day. (We are arriving around 6pm and they said the scooter would be delivered earlier in the day) Thanks for your information. This helps me a lot with planning my trip. :ccat:

When I rented from Buena Vista Scooters, they did not leave any plastic to cover either the tiller controls or the scooter itself. Walker provides the tiller control cover and the scooter is a different make and model than Buena Vista and it is water resistant. It is worth it to me to have to meet them for pick up and delivery to have the comfort of a water resistant scooter.

Buena Vista has left a poncho as well as the charging cord in the basket the times we have rented from them (we have rented from them probably about 5 times). We have them delivery to our resort and it has always been waiting for us once we check in. There was one time we were staying at Yacht that when we got the scooter my mom felt that the chair back was leaning too far back for her (it seemed that the back was more in a reclining position, which for my 5 foot tall my didn't work) we called and they said they would deliver a new scooter to our resort later in the day... we went off to grab some food and walked to Epcot for a few hours and when we got back there was a new one waiting for us so we switched it up. Another time the charing cord wasn't work properly; called again and after a day at the parks there was a new cord waiting for us at the front desk.

They way we use ours is we charge it whenever we are back in the room so usually overnight and when my mom goes back to rest in the middle of the day (so we are never using it from dawn to dark). Also when we stop to watch something or are just resting my mom always makes sure she turns it off to reserve the charge.

Have a great trip!!

Does anyone have a picture of what the plCtic things are that they leave with the walker scooter? I am curious of size, if a shower cap would work.

Does anyone have a picture of what the plCtic things are that they leave with the walker scooter? I am curious of size, if a shower cap would work.

A shower cap would work. I was unable to find a clear shower cap so I could see through it to the controls though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!