How to rid dead animal smell from dog

tink20

DIS Veteran
Our dog rolled on a nasty, stinky dead lizard's head (I don't even want to think about where the body is). Anyway, I bathed her with her dog shampoo, but I can still smell it. I googled what to do, a lot of different "guesses". I want to hear something that works from someone who has actually been in this situation.

So, tell me what works and is safe for dogs (our dog is small)

LOL!:rotfl2: I think this is one of the funniest posts I've seen in a LONG time.
You need the tag fairy on this one :)

I know there is a shampoo for skunk smell removal...maybe that would work. Or vinegar maybe?

Ick...but still making me giggle. Dogs can be gross.:hug:

Vinegar will probably work...as will tomato juice (but not on a white dog please)...talk about a bloody mess...
Lemons or even oranges would work too....basically something acidic.
Just make sure you rinse very well and shampoo again afterwards.

I would stick with an odor removing shampoo if you can.

Our chocolate lab does the same thing! He can find the grossest dead thing in our yard, and promptly roll over it again and again.

Usually right after we have given him a bath.

Here is a home remedy for getting skunk out that is supposed to work better than tomato juice:

Mix 1/4 cup baking soda, 2 tsp. mild liquid soap and 1 qt. medical grade 3 percent strength hydrogen peroxide in a plastic container. Pour the solution on your dog, avoiding its eyes and nose. Rub the solution into the coat, and allow the dog to soak for at least 5 minutes. Repeat the process, if odor remains.

Our chocolate lab does the same thing! He can find the grossest dead thing in our yard, and promptly roll over it again and again.

Here is a home remedy for getting skunk out that is supposed to work better than tomato juice:

Mix 1/4 cup baking soda, 2 tsp. mild liquid soap and 1 qt. medical grade 3 percent strength hydrogen peroxide in a plastic container. Pour the solution on your dog, avoiding its eyes and nose. Rub the solution into the coat, and allow the dog to soak for at least 5 minutes. Repeat the process, if odor remains.

I was about to suggest this too. A never fail odor remover, but one other suggestion and a warning!

Mix - dilute - the baking soda, soap and hydrogen peroxide with 1 quart of warm water before pouring it on your dog. It goes further and stings less if you dog has any boo boos. Also rinse really well!

Use all the solution, and/or dispose of anything you don't use. It will explode if you try to cap and save it.
If you use this solution on a black dog it can bleach the fur slightly. But it is much better than dying a white dog pink with tomato juice (which doesn't work anyway). I speak from experience.;)

I have two dogs that do this every chance they get and I've found that a bath with Dawn dish soap and lots of rinsing works just fine. Never had to use anything else.:thumbsup2

I know how you feel. My dog rolled in dead turtle. He's a lab, so he usually stink too much. We let him roll in the fresh cut grass, and that helped alot.

Both of my dogs we skunked last week. We used the above baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, liquid soap mixture and it worked. THe golden retriever still has a faint skunk oder when she gets wet.

"If you use this solution on a black dog it can bleach the fur slightly. But it is much better than dying a white dog pink with tomato juice (which doesn't work anyway). I speak from experience.;)"

So you dyed your dog pink? :lmao:

I've used the peroxide, baking soda and Dawn method many, many times. It works like magic. Definitely dilute it a bit - it will still work. In the process, if you get wet (I always do, somehow.) Your own bo-bos will get cleaned out quite thoroughly. They'll sting like the dickens, but they're be clean!

LOL!:rotfl2: I think this is one of the funniest posts I've seen in a LONG time.
You need the tag fairy on this one :)

I know there is a shampoo for skunk smell removal...maybe that would work. Or vinegar maybe?

Ick...but still making me giggle. Dogs can be gross.:hug:

It is quite funny, this is our first dog, we have had her for a year now. She is smart and a lot of fun. But, I just don't get why dogs eat gross stuff and roll in stinky stuff. She won't be getting in my bed anytime soon. Thank you everyone, after dinner, I am going to give her the baking soda mixture bath.

Don't Laugh I am being truthfull here. Massengill Douche in Country Flowers rinse him in that. My friend who does de-shunking uses it.

Kae

"If you use this solution on a black dog it can bleach the fur slightly. But it is much better than dying a white dog pink with tomato juice (which doesn't work anyway). I speak from experience.;)"

So you dyed your dog pink? :lmao:

Yep! That darn tomato juice took ages to grow out/wear off even after repeated shampoos! So humiliating for us and the dog. I'm not into tinted dogs and DH actually refused to walk her for a while.:rotfl2:

Tomato juice only confuses human noses so that we smell tomato not skunk. It is a mild acid, but doesn't do much to neutralize the heavily alkaline skunk "juice".

:lmao::lmao: I was in a pretty crappy mood this morning until I read this thread. OP, I am sorry about your pooch but your post just cracked me up...thank you:lmao: This thread has everything...stinky dead lizard heads, pink dogs and douches:rotfl::rotfl:

Our dog rolled on a nasty, stinky dead lizard's head (I don't even want to think about where the body is). Anyway, I bathed her with her dog shampoo, but I can still smell it. I googled what to do, a lot of different "guesses". I want to hear something that works from someone who has actually been in this situation.

So, tell me what works and is safe for dogs (our dog is small)

When our dog gets sprayed by a skunk, we bath her with a douche...yeah, you read it right...a lady's douche. It really does work. Get's the smell of skunk out.

This. It works.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter