How To ESTA

first time ever dealing with ESTA (i'm an american).
I have to apply for my two grandkids.
Is the information in this thread still accurate?

How long before a trip can we apply?
They don't have their passports yet, but once they get them, can i apply right away?
Or do we have to wait until we're closer to august?
Hi Beth, follow link in first post. The site has changed since this thread was started but basically the same and easy to use.
Once you get the passports you can apply, the are valid for 2 years. I do mine a couple of weeks before travelling but others prefer to do them earlier.

Hi Beth, follow link in first post. The site has changed since this thread was started but basically the same and easy to use.
Once you get the passports you can apply, the are valid for 2 years. I do mine a couple of weeks before travelling but others prefer to do them earlier.

Thanks Wayne! Yes i followed the link and have been reading through the site.
We have an additional issue since they're dual citizens (as we all are).
One of the countries is visa waiver and the other isn't.
Given that wrinkle, we're going to apply as soon as the kidlets get their passports. Just on the slim possibility that they get rejects (because of the other passport, which also has to be listed in the application).
If they're rejected from the visa waiver, we'll want to have enough time to get visas (which takes forever...getting an actual visa is such a pain in the derriere process!!!)

Just done our new ESTAs but having to wait for result. When you left work over a decade ago it's not easy filling out that section!

Hi just discovered Disboards and wondered if I can pick your brains? My family and I have an ESTA that is still valid but my son's passport has just been renewed. Having checked the ESTA website it's my understanding that because of this I have to apply for a new ESTA for him. Silly question alert - can the rest of the family continue to use our existing ESTA?

Hi just discovered Disboards and wondered if I can pick your brains? My family and I have an ESTA that is still valid but my son's passport has just been renewed. Having checked the ESTA website it's my understanding that because of this I have to apply for a new ESTA for him. Silly question alert - can the rest of the family continue to use our existing ESTA?

Yes, the only new ESTA needed will be for your son. The rest of you can continue to use the existing ESTA as they remain valid for either 2 years or until getting a new passport.

Advice please!!

I'm traveling to Orlando, landing on 1st May.

My ESTA expires 2nd May.

According to the USCBP I only need my ESTA to be valid on the day I enter the country - which it will be - not for the entire length of my stay.

However, hearing stories about how tight border security is in the US right now, should I apply for another ESTA to start 2nd May just so I'm covered? Or is this considered "suspicious"? I would hate to be turned away at the border either because I've ordered two ESTAs back to back or failed to get one when I should have!!

No, you will be fine with your existing ESTA. It only needs to be valid the day you enter the country.

Totally your choice, you will have no issues either way.
Personally I don't see the point in getting another when you already have a valid one, it's in black and white on their own site.

Hi just having to do my next one of these, but the form seems different (may be my memory that's going lol). What do you have to put for the american point of contact

A name of somebody you are staying with, or if not you can put your hotel name

Hi!
I get ESTA for me and my husband but i realised i could fill my two surnames but in my husband case it only "took" the first surname. Would this be a problem?
I also saw the ask for your country ID number and in my ID is sighly different than in my passport. (it has a letter before in the pasport or something like that.)
btw we are from Spain.
Thanks!!

As quite a few people have been posting questions relating to ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) lately - a lot of them worried about what the site is about and what ticks they should put in what box - I thought I would try to give you a rough idea as to what to expect when you go to the site to complete your form.

The link below will take you to where you need to be

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta....CC8C68E_k262991A7-FD7B-5605-CD32-37EB66A5B1AD

and the first screen you can expect to see is this one.

1.jpg

12.jpg

If you are filling in your ESTA for the first time you need to click the 'Apply' button on the left hand side.
This will take you to the following screen.

2.jpg

At this point read all the text in the box above then, if you are happy and understand the information provided, select 'Yes' and then click Next.
If you are not happy and need more clarification then select 'No'. This will take you to a page with some FAQs on it for you to find the answers to any questions you may have.
Once you have clicked Yes you will be taken to the following page.

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

You only need to fill in the information that has a red * next to it.
People have asked in the past about flights and addresses where you will be staying - but as you can see these are not one of the required answers.
Once you have filled in your personal details you are then asked a series of questions that require a Yes or No answer. You obviously need to answer these questions honestly, but if you have been a good girl or boy you should be able to select No to all of them.
Once this is done put a tick in the 'Certification' box and then hit the Next button.
Unfortunately I couldn't get onto the screen after this but, if memory serves me right, the next one is the one that gives the all important Yes or No. There is also a button on this page that allows you to go back to the beginning and start a new form for someone else.

I hope this helps some of you with the process - if only to give you a 'Heads up' as to what to expect.
If I have missed something - or anybody else has anything to add - then please feel free.
Is it possible to update the pictures on here - they have been affected by the Photobucket issue and are not showing the images any more.

Well, just done our ESTAs for the end of July. Approved after a few minutes. Just looked, and mine finishes a month short of 2 years away (due to passport needing to be renewed), DSs ends next summer (due to his 5 year passport coming to an end) and DW ESTA finishes as it should, exactly 2 years from now! So all 3 of us have different end dates!!!! Ah well. Could be worse I guess, at least my other ds doesn't want to come with us this time, and dd will already be in the US on Americamp… Still took me ages to fill in the forms, I'm rusty having not been to the US for a few years!

renewed my ESTA and there have been some changes since I did it in 2016. The social media section is OPTIONAL so people dont freak out :) The point of contact I used my first hotel, I am staying in 3 different hotels in 2 cities. Im self employed so thats what I put on the form as job title and then put the name of my company. If I get asked at the security check I will have a business card to show them :) Other new section was my parents names, which I dont remember being asked before.

When I submitted it, the page went to pending. I closed the browser, had lunch and came came back an hour later, retrieved my application and it was approved.

How important is the occupation being up to date? A family member has a valid ESTA but has since become unemployed, would we need to reapply for an ESTA with the correct information or will we be fine as is?

How important is the occupation being up to date? A family member has a valid ESTA but has since become unemployed, would we need to reapply for an ESTA with the correct information or will we be fine as is?

I changed occupations Mid Esta, and had no issues

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!