How to book a Meal

scousepete37

Earning My Ears
Please excuse my silly question. I am due to go to Disney in 12 days time on honeymoon. i say honeymon but my 13 year old son is coming too but it's all cool. My wife to be has been before but me and my son have never been so you can imagine the excitement. We only booked it 4 months ago but got a good deal at Pop Century. With a wedding to plan and going to Disney there has beena lot to try and sort. One of the things I haven't given a lot of thought to was where to eat whilst we are out there. I know there are lots of places to eat but what is the deal with reservations. Can I call any given restaurant now and book for a specific time and date? What about Character meals? Can we just ring up and book? I understand that this is quite last minute and there may be no spaces but I have not done this before so I am happy to take any advice or recomendations for good places to eat. We love all kinds of food and will try anyting once...twice if we like it. :)

Thanks in advance.

Peter

First of all congrats!

Here are my 2 cents. Take a look at the menus posted here. Figure out where you would like to eat and call ASAP. The number is 407wdwdine. You can also try to make night before ADR's when you get to WDW. If you can be flexible around time, you may get what you want.

Have a great trip.

Welcome to the DIS, Peter!

Yes, you need to call and make some dining reservations TODAY. When you booked your room did you include the Disney Dining Plan or will you be paying for your meals out-of-pocket?

Browse the menus here at the DIS (click "Dining" at the top of the page) or at www.allearsnet.com and see what restaurants appeal to you. Call and see what is available for any days of your trip and take whatever you can get. The good thing is that you won't have any little kids with you so you can eat later meals if that's all that's available. The big key for you will to be flexible.

The character meals are fun. Here are some popular ones: Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary Resort (breakfast/dinner with Mickey, Donald, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto); Crystal Palace at the Magic Kingdom (3 meals/day with Pooh & friends); Tusker House at Animal Kingdom (breakfast; similar to Chef Mickey's); Liberty Tree Tavern at Magic Kingdom (dinner); Garden Grill at Epcot (lunch, dinner); Cape May Cafe (breakfast) at the Beach Club Resort. If your wife-to-be would like to see the Princesses, Norway at Epcot has 3 meals/day with them; of course, the elusive Cinderella's Royal Table at the Castle in Magic Kingdom; 1900 Park Faire at Grand Floridian.

The number to call is 407-WDW-DINE. They are open 7:00 AM - 10 PM Eastern time daily.

Good luck to you and congratulations on your upcoming wedding and "family-moon" !!

Thank you both for your helpful replies and your good wishes. I am enjoying the anticipation and planning for this dream trip. as I said we only bookedliterally 10 weeks ago and I have seen from browsing the various forums that people book months and months in advance. I really appreciate your advice as there is almost too much information (does that make sense) out there and it helps to be pointed in the right direction. I am in the Uk so I am a bit confused by the telephone number. :confused3
I booked as part of a package and wasn't aware of the dining plan. Not to worry though we are quite flexible with regards to time but probably prefer to eat later anyway as it may be 'slightly cooler'.
Do you have to pay in advance/pay deposit or is it just turn up for your booking time? If we wanted to cancel could we do that? I would of course do the courteous thing and let them know if we had a change of plan.

Thanks again

Peter

Thank you both for your helpful replies and your good wishes. I am enjoying the anticipation and planning for this dream trip. as I said we only bookedliterally 10 weeks ago and I have seen from browsing the various forums that people book months and months in advance. I really appreciate your advice as there is almost too much information (does that make sense) out there and it helps to be pointed in the right direction. I am in the Uk so I am a bit confused by the telephone number. :confused3
I booked as part of a package and wasn't aware of the dining plan. Not to worry though we are quite flexible with regards to time but probably prefer to eat later anyway as it may be 'slightly cooler'.
Do you have to pay in advance/pay deposit or is it just turn up for your booking time? If we wanted to cancel could we do that? I would of course do the courteous thing and let them know if we had a change of plan.

Thanks again

Peter

You can cancel any of the ADR's when you know you won't be going. The exceptions are CRT and the dinner shows that you had to give your credit card # for. They need to be cancelled at least 48 hrs before, otherwise you will get charged a fee for not showing up.

Check with your travel agent and see if you can get the DDP and how much it is. If you are planning a TS a day then it's most likely a good deal. The DDP in the US is $38.99 adults and $9.99children 9-3 yrs per night.

You can always get ice water at any of the CS for free-then you save some money on buying water. Some of the CS meals are quite large and can be shared to save money.

You can cancel any of the ADR's when you know you won't be going. The exceptions are CRT and the dinner shows that you had to give your credit card # for. They need to be cancelled at least 48 hrs before, otherwise you will get charged a fee for not showing up.

Check with your travel agent and see if you can get the DDP and how much it is. If you are planning a TS a day then it's most likely a good deal. The DDP in the US is $38.99 adults and $9.99children 9-3 yrs per night.

You can always get ice water at any of the CS for free-then you save some money on buying water. Some of the CS meals are quite large and can be shared to save money.

Ha ha...the poor guy might not know the DISer language yet!!

TS = Table service restaurant, full wait staff and reserved table for your party

CS = Counter service, pick up your tray and order your meal, quite like McDonalds, food a bit better at Disney!

DDP = Disney Dining Plan...prepay your meals

OOP = Out of pocket, pay as you go!

CRT = Cinderella's Royal Table (very popular restaurant in the castle at the Magic Kingdom)

Where you are coming from Europe, the Dining Plan would be good for you (great currency exchange rate at the moment!! Double your money!) You prepay the US$38.99 per night of you stay. This allows you one counter service and on table service per day plus a snack. A table service dinner, would run you about $35+. This only includes entree, dessert and non alcoholic beverage. Appetizers and gratuities are not included. Counter service meals are approx $10 (with drink). You also get a snack..ice cream, water bottle, pastery etc...

There is also the deluxe dining plan, which is 3 table service meals per day plus 2 snacks. I believe its $69 per night of you stay per person.

A full list of restaurants and menus can be found at www.allears.net

Make your dining reservations ASAP. Some popular restaurants book quickly.

As for the phone number, Im not sure if you have toll free access from the UK. If not, you would need to dial 001 -407- 939-3463..or have your travel agent call.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! If you have a bit of time, check out Sammy Duvalls water sports at the Contemporary! Your son will love it!! (check website www.sammyduvall.com for info and pricing)

Have Fun!!!

I am in the Uk so I am a bit confused by the telephone number. :confused3

Is it the letters that are confusing you? The number is 407-939-3463.

Thanks again

Peter

Cinderella's Royal Table, California Grill and I think the dinner shows require a credit card deposit or guarantee. It's recommended that you show up about 15 minutes before your seating time, and yes, you can cancel.

I hope you have a wonderful Disneymoon! Congratulations! Many people book their dining plans far in advance. My advice for you, if you'd like to try some table service restaurants, I think you may have a better chance of getting into the restaurants inside the resorts.
Also, an idea for a romantic lunch is to rent a boat at the Grand Floridian and take a picnic lunch with you from the counter service restaurant there.
Have fun!:cutie:

Hi Peter. A very warm welcome to the DIS and congratulations on your forthcoming wedding. :goodvibes

You've already received some great replies, but do come and join us over on UK Trip Planning where you'll get the perspective of your fellow countrymen. :thumbsup2

The number provided by DISNEY1975 (001 407 939 3463) is the full number needed to call Disney Dining from the UK. There's no deposit to pay when making reservations. The ADR system is very cleverly designed to cope with the huge numbers of visitors. You don't have a set reservation as such. When you phone, you will be asked to arrive around 15 minutes before your ADR time and you will then be assigned the next free table for your party size. Don't worry if you don't always manage to do that, or even if you're running a little late. By not holding tables for a set reservation, they're able to deal with the obvious no-shows which happen as a result of the "no deposit" policy. If you change your mind about an ADR I'd suggest calling back as a courtesy to other diners who might be trying unsuccessfully to secure an ADR, although it isn't strictly necessary. Even if you change your mind at the last minute, you can go to guest services at any park to let them know.

I'm not a fan of the Dining Plan, so I wouldn't get too hung up about missing out on that. Since it was introduced, it's much more difficult to get ADRS, particularly at certain popular places. Try to be flexible - if you're willing to eat at "unusual" times, you should have a bit more luck. And it's always worth trying to get in as a walk-up (remember all those no-shows). Do be sure to consider the restaurants at the Disney resorts. On the whole, they're of a higher standard than those at the parks, and it's a great way to get to check out some of the other hotels.

Just a quick thanks to all who have taken the time to post a reply to my queries. I am on lunch at work so will keep it brief.
It was the letters which threw me a bit so thanks for clearing that one up. I must admit (thanks disney 1975) I was scratching my head over the abbreviations. I worked some out but now I know all of them. :thumbsup2
I will go away tonight and try and make some plans and some telephone calls. As I said it's not laziness because it is great searching through all this info, just that time is against me with wedding plans etc. I am trying to co-ordiante eating around park visits so hopefully will get some sorted. Any thoughts/personal recomendations are very welcome. I looked at ohana's which I understand is in the polynesian resort and may try that one. I will let you know how i get on.

Thanks again.

Peter

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter