How Tall for BIG Rides?

DISLOVE

Mouseketeer
Can anyone shed some light on the height requirements for the Mtns, and the other bigger rides. I know that my daughter is tall for her age but I wonder if she is tall enough to even consider taking on the big rides.

She went on Barnstormer last year and LOVED it. Now she can't understand why I won't let her go on the bunny ride (Splash!).

Thanks for your info!

I see you recieved a pretty good website, but another thing, is "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World" Great book, has lots of good, useful tips, and a height/fear factor guide to all the rides at WDW, as well as a rating from preschoolers up to adult. I loved it. You can buy it at amazon.com, I don't remember how much I paid, but I know it wasn't over $20.
:hourglass

I am having the same problem with my ds who will be 3.5 when we go in September. He will probably be tall enough for several of the bigger rides and has already told me he is going on Tower of Terror! He's pretty brave but I don't want to him to get scared! The height requirement for most of the mountain rides is 40".

DD 3.5 years was 39" when we went 2 weeks ago. She made it on Splash Mountain without a problem, I think the height requirement line measures a little on the short side. She did not measure at the same 40" requirement line at the other mountains, not on test track either, although after riding it I would not have put her on it. Not enough restraint. My DH also bought her little platform sneakers, which built her up approx. 1". She is a daredevil and wanted to ride all the rides big brother did, who's 7. We used baby swap very successfully, and used cell phones to keep in touch while DH and son were off on space mountain, we were getting princess autographs in Toontown. The cellphones were a godsend for our family, which split up a couple of times during the day to let big kid ride and little kid get her thrills elsewhere. If you want to try and "push the envelope" and get an "almost tall enough" child on, try carrying them into the line. Also, the fastpass line seemed to move very quickly and we carried her on the splash mountain w/o a problem. They did ask if she was measured at the entrance of the line when we got to the actual ride. Good luck!

We have a child exactly 40" with his shoes on. It seems there is some inconsistency with the measuring. Is this correct? I have seen more than one report that a child 40" was able to get on a particular ride but not on others that had exact same min ht requirement. We've never had one exactly at the designated ht before so we never had to worry about this. Any input/suggestions would be very appreciated. He will be very disappointed if he can't get on most of the rides he wants to ride.

It does seem that the height requirement measuring things do vary a little. DD got on Splash Mountain, but nothing else that measured at 40". She is 39" but wore her pink platform tennies (I don't think your son would go for that!). Hopefully at 40", he will make all the rides. We did tell her to tippy toe and keep her chin up. If you are planning to ride Test Track, be careful. The restraint system does not impress me for a 40" child. I would not have been able to enjoy the ride with her on it, knowing she was on the low end of the height requirement. Good luck!

We just got back a few days ago, 3 yo DS is about 39.5 inches tall, just about 40 inches with his sandals, and he loved Soarin, Test Track, Star Tours, he would've made it on Splash but it was broken every time we tried to ride it. He measured just under the bar, but was only about 1/8th or 1/16th of an inch under it, enough so they couldn't put a finger between his head and the bar, so he always made it through.

I am big for following rules and won't try to convince a CM to let her get in. But I do have one question.. If she is tall enough for Splash but they won't let her on Thunder Mtn... do you say anything? Show them your family picture from the ride? I know she is young but she already knows that things "match" so if she's 40 and is allowed to go and then 40 and told no...

Any advice?

I have a 3 y/o who will be 3 1/2 when we go in October. Right now she's at 39" barefoot so we're hoping by October she'll be 40". She, like your DD, knows the rides and knows exactly what she wants to ride and what she dosen't. We've already told her that some things she wants to do are out(Space Mountain and RNRC) and some things are possible(BTMR is what she's most looking forward to). Your DD sounds pretty intelligent so I would just mention to her now that not everybody's stick is the same so she may be able to ride something that says 40 and no ride something else that's supposed to be the same. Then if you run into that when you get there, just say oh well, maybe next time and move along quickly to something else so she dosen't get too bummed. I had started a thread awhile back asking if there was a place to get measured and then recieve a bracelet or something that says how tall you are so this problem wouldn't occur. Everyone told me there wasn't at Disney, but I think it's a good idea to do that. I would gladly wait in a line to have my kids measured so we don't have to stand there wondering if she'll pass the test. Good luck, and hope she gets to ride everything she wants.

buzzmom3 said:
He will probably be tall enough for several of the bigger rides and has already told me he is going on Tower of Terror! He's pretty brave but I don't want to him to get scared!.

Kids love being scared; certainly you've noticed the popularity of Halloween. Being scared does not equate with sheer terror.

I would not advocate forcing a child on that or any ride against their will, of course.

Cheers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter