• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How old were you when you first went abroad?

Not counting a family day trip into Mexico when I was a kid, 30-ish when the USAF sent me to Germany.

I was 11 or 12 when we (Mom, Dad, Sis & I ) went to Niagara Falls, Ontario for 2 days with my Maternal Grandparents. But what I considered "first time" would be when I was 14. We ( same group )went to Scotland & England for 4 weeks . It was to celebrate my Grandparents' 50 th anniversary. A few weeks after their wedding they moved to the US . So my Mom had some Aunts, Uncles and Cousins ,she (& us ) had never meet. It was the only time the 6 of us went together.

16, when I made the State AAU basketball team and we toured in France, Italy and the U.K. for three weeks that summer playing against teams and clubs. That's when I was bitten by the travel bug. But...I didn't get back to Europe until my mid-30s. DH and I were married about 6 years before we took our first trip abroad, and then we were really hooked and have taken many trips, mostly 2-week trips overseas. Lately focusing more on Mexico and Costa Rica...but dying to get back to Italy!

Europe was at age 21, just a few years after airline deregulation. Airline travel was not common in my neighborhood when I was young.

I was an infant, around 5 months? We went to the UK to visit family. We would do this every summer until I turned 8, when my parents split.

I was going to say never but looking at Websters, it just says a foreign county. During a tournament to Detroit when I was 40, we drove over the bridge into Canada so I could go into a grocery store to see milk in bags. I'm such a worldly traveler.

I am not counting US as I lived within 45 minutes of the border and we did many day trips. I went to Spain the visit family when I was 6.

I was 26; I lived abroad for a year and a half; and when I landed back in the US on my way home, I wanted to kiss the ground. I never left the US again and never will.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter