• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How Much Vacation Do You Get?

I teach so I get summers off, 2 weeks at Christmas, 1 week in the spring, and 3 days for Thanksgiving plus most major government holidays. Each year I accrue personal days - I think I have 13 right now and I've been in the district 5 years.

I couldn't explain how DH's hours work even if I tried... :rolleyes1
we get 3 personal and 10 sick days. They all accrue, but personal days turn into sick days if not used by the end of the school year. The max number of personal days for us will always be 3.

I hit the maximum of 6 weeks paid vacation after 25 years with my employer. I use every minute of it.

Do those who are "unable" to actually take all their vacation time get extra compensation at the end of the year?

3 weeks PTO and 4 floating holidays which are basically just free days given to us at the beginning of the year.

My husband gets 6 weeks and is lucky if he uses 10 days. He can only carry over 5 days so he typically ends up losing it.

DH's vacation is sort of weird in his current position. He gets 1wk/year now, 2wks/yr after 2 years, 3wks/yr after 5 years. But it accumulates on a per-pay basis for the first 10 months of the year, 10% per month available on the 1st, so he doesn't have the full amount of time until Oct and it doesn't roll over year-to-year. If he wants to use it on a single longer trip we have to plan it for Oct, Nov or Dec which can be logistically problematic between the kids' school schedules, the holidays, and the weather. Fortunately the other guys in his role take theirs in short chunks, a day or two at a time, because no more than one of them can be off at a time and if they were all trying to take a full week or two in the short time when their full vacation is available the scheduling would become difficult in a hurry.

Get 5 weeks, but can only use a max of 3 at one time. Also get a few federal holidays off as well.
Wife is a teacher so she gets all the normal school ones, and summer break for her is the last Friday in April and goes back the second Monday in August (pre-school gets out just over a month before the other kids).

We get 13 holidays a year + 9.38hours per month of sick time. Vacation time also started at 9.38 hours per month and begins to increase at the 10 year mark. I believe I'm at about 12 hours per month of vacation time. I can't keep up because it increases every year from yr 10 until 30.

10 Paid PTO and 10 Paid sick days.

My company is pretty good about time off as long as you give them notice ahead of time

I get 9 weeks of PTO per year. It is earned per paycheck over the course of the year. We can take 6 sick days per year, anything over that, you do get paid but it starts the attendance discipline process. Also you can use 2 as personal days. The rest can be used as vacation - weekly or individually. We also earn a small amount per paycheck toward long term illness. But you can't use that unless you are disabled. We don't get paid holidays off, you would have to use your PTO. But we do get holiday premium pay if we have to work a major holiday.

My husband gets 6 weeks and is lucky if he uses 10 days. He can only carry over 5 days so he typically ends up losing it.
Ouch. We're the only location in California, and corporate has a use it or lose it policy, but that's illegal here. You have to take the time or they have to pay you for it. They start assigning you time off if you have more than about 150 hours on the books. I say about, because state law does not set a specific guideline but "suggests" a cap of 200 hours which corporate finds unacceptable. So they start trying to force you to take time off when you hit the 150 hour mark.

Never heard of accruing by the hour.

The company I work for was bought in February, and the new company did this "accruing per paycheck" thing. Employees got a certain number of days off based on years of service, but those days were divided over 24 pay periods. We did not have all of our days available on January 1. This was before we moved to DTO.

Ouch. We're the only location in California, and corporate has a use it or lose it policy, but that's illegal here. You have to take the time or they have to pay you for it. They start assigning you time off if you have more than about 150 hours on the books. I say about, because state law does not set a specific guideline but "suggests" a cap of 200 hours which corporate finds unacceptable. So they start trying to force you to take time off when you hit the 150 hour mark.

It was so much better before he was salaried and management. They were allowed to sell their vacation time which meant they could get prepaid for it and then take the days off without pay. So back then it didn't matter if he didn't use it or not. Of course that was back when he only got 2 weeks.

Unlimited vacation- no accruals
It was a test policy in 2016 and no one abused it so it continues
My wife's best friend has a similar system where she works.
Unlimited vacation, no accruals, owner doesn't want to deal with tracking it. Oh, and NO PAY for vacation time taken. HOWEVER, on December 1st of every year you get a bonus equal to a month's pay in compensation for no paid vacation or as a Christmas bonus.
Used to include unlimited unpaid sick time, but by law now in California you have to have paid sick time if you have above a certain number of employees.

None. Self employed. Taking a vacation essentially takes an act of Congress. I don't get/take days off either.

I get simultaneously as much as I want and none at all.

I'm self-employed, so I can take off the next six months if I want to. The downside is, I won't make any money for the next six months. Taking a vacation (or even a day off) involves doing extra work before and after so I don't lose out too much money for the time I missed.

Same

I am not currently working, but when I worked hospital the hours of PTO accrued per check. They were quite generous, but we also didn't have major holidays off since hospitals are open 24/7. I think I started with three weeks of paid vacation, and then it increased as the years went on.

My other half also works in healthcare. His PTO is also quite generous because, again, federal holidays aren't really available since people require healthcare around the clock. His PTO is way better than mine ever was, and since he can't roll over more than 40 hours at the end of the year, he winds up trying to figure out how to use the remaining time off as the end of the year approaches. (Too bad there's nothing to do in the garden then!)

Four weeks paid annual leave.

I also get 8 cents every hour I work and this goes towards holiday pay dollars, which can be taken before you're entitled to the four weeks annual (after 12-months continuous service) or this 'pot' is issued as a lump sum upon leaving the business.

I get 4 weeks, but when I contacted HR to see how I was supposed to report when I took vacation time I was informed that they didn't actually track vacation usage for my area. My own bosses don't care how much they see me, as long as my work gets done timely. I think my sick/personal days are unlimited, too. I could theoretically take a lot more than 4 weeks.

I get earned PTO - so 1.25 hours earned for every 8 hours worked. Typically I work 24 hours a week and get 7.55 hours of PTO every pay period (every 2 weeks)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter