How much roast beef would you buy for 13 adults

MELSMICE

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, to Disney World we'll go. It'll be
I'm wondering how many pounds of sliced roast beef we should buy for 13 adults. We'll be making sandwiches.

I looked online & one site says 1 lb. for person, which seems like a lot. Another says 1/2 lb. person, which seems more reasonable. I thought I checked with the DIS crew to see what their thoughts are.

You mean from the deli for sandwiches? Or like a roast you plan to cook? From the Deli a pound will def feed more than 1 person. I think it depends on how thick you slice it. Id go with 1/2 lb per person, but get a little extra in case some people eat 2 sandwiches. If you buy too much can it be frozen?

If it deli meat for sandwiches, I would go with 8 pounds. Half pound per person plus a bit extra for the bigger eaters.

You mean from the deli for sandwiches? Or like a roast you plan to cook? From the Deli a pound will def feed more than 1 person. I think it depends on how thick you slice it. Id go with 1/2 lb per person, but get a little extra in case some people eat 2 sandwiches. If you buy too much can it be frozen?

Yes, deli meat. I thought about 1/2 lb. per person sounded right, but I wanted to double check.

Thanks!

I still think 1/2 lb. per person is too much! When I buy 1/2 lb. of deli meat for lunches for the week, it still makes several sandwiches. It also depends on what you are serving with it. Are you serving cheeses/lettuce/sliced tomato, other condiments with it? Side salads/chips, etc.? Then definitely less than 1/2 lb. per person. Some people might have two sandwiches, but some might take less meat too so it all evens out.
I often do deli trays for company and usually get 1/4 lb. per person plus a little extra sometimes and always end up with leftovers even.

Good luck!

I agree with Minniebeth. If it's being used in a sandwich, 8 ounces (1/2 lb) per person is way more than I would buy. The typical serving size that I found on-line seems to be 2 ounces, so even buying 5 lbs you'd have 3 servings (and a bit extra) for every one of those 13 people.

I still think 1/2 lb. per person is too much! When I buy 1/2 lb. of deli meat for lunches for the week, it still makes several sandwiches. It also depends on what you are serving with it. Are you serving cheeses/lettuce/sliced tomato, other condiments with it? Side salads/chips, etc.? Then definitely less than 1/2 lb. per person. Some people might have two sandwiches, but some might take less meat too so it all evens out.
I often do deli trays for company and usually get 1/4 lb. per person plus a little extra sometimes and always end up with leftovers even.

Good luck!

Agree totally. :thumbsup2

I would definately go with the 8lbs. Remember that sometimes people like to pick and munch on lunch meat to. We go through 1 1/2 pounds of ham every four days in our house and theres only two of us. But we also grab a slice here and there for snacks.

I have to say that 1/2 lb of sliced deli meat is a LOT of meat too. 1/2 lb/person of a roast is about right but also consider that much of that will cook down and not end up being 1/2. We get a 1/2 lb of deli meat and that will make about 5 sandwiches. I would get MAYBE 1 1/2 lbs. I think we got 6 lbs of pulled pork for DS15's grad party and had about 75 people and had PLENTY left over.

I agree with the PPs. Depending on what size bread or rolls you are offering and what fixings, a typical sandwich only has 2-4oz of meat. I'm trying to remember way back when I worked at Arby's in college. . .a jr had 2oz, a regular had 3oz and a super had 4. . .I think. I think going with 1/2 lb per person should be enough for everyone. . .some will only have a small amount and that will leave enough for the big eaters to have seconds. HTH

I agree with the PPs. Depending on what size bread or rolls you are offering and what fixings, a typical sandwich only has 2-4oz of meat. I'm trying to remember way back when I worked at Arby's in college. . .a jr had 2oz, a regular had 3oz and a super had 4. . .I think. I think going with 1/2 lb per person should be enough for everyone. . .some will only have a small amount and that will leave enough for the big eaters to have seconds. HTH

Depends upon where you live! If you buy a deli sandwich here, expect 2 - 3 inches thick of cold cuts, packed down. My kids like Subway (gross), but one time I refused, and just got sandwiches from a deli, and they couldn't believe how much meat was on the sandwiches (and yes, took most of it off).

Depends upon where you live! If you buy a deli sandwich here, expect 2 - 3 inches thick of cold cuts, packed down. My kids like Subway (gross), but one time I refused, and just got sandwiches from a deli, and they couldn't believe how much meat was on the sandwiches (and yes, took most of it off).

Do you make your sandwiches at home like this though?

Do you make your sandwiches at home like this though?

Me, no - I'm a toppings girl, and like lots of lettuce, tomato, onion, etc. However, I've seen some men make their own sandwiches, and pile on the meat, probaby because they get deli sandwiches for lunch a lot, and this is what they are used to. Now, I've never seen only one type of cold cuts offered - usually there is also turkey, ham, salami, and pepperoni, plus a couple types of cheese. Lots of guys (including DH) will pile on multiple kinds, and it makes a big sandwich!

My point was that not all deli sandwiches have 2 - 4 ounces of meat. Around here, only the chains put small amounts on.

If you just put out the meat it's about 1/2 per sandwich and I'd guess each grown man there would want 2. But if you put out other stuff like lettuce, tomato, cheese, a salad, a pasta salad, chips and desserts that would discourage the group from wolfing down all the expensive stuff and spread them out into cheaper to prepare dishes. Like another pp said, if you get nice big rolls the extra bread in the rolls will also help fill your guests. I would also put out other cheaper cuts of meat like ham & bologna to reduce the expense and make sure there is food available for those who might want a 3rd helping.

Have fun

This will be hot roast beef on kummelweck rolls with aus jus gravy and horseradish. We aren't having cold lunch meat sandwiches.

There are no toppings on these sandwiches. The kummelweck rolls are very large.

We will be serving sides. Probably a chef salad & either mac & cheese or baked ziti.

I worked in a deli for four years and I can say that a typical serving is 1/8 to 1/4 lb. Now for really big sandwiches you would go up to 1/3 of a lb. Get it shaved thin. The person behind the counter will gladly show you what a 1/4 or a 1/3 looks like so that you can decide. However, you are going to end up with a lit of extra meat if you are serving anything other than hungry men if you buy 1/2 lb of meat per person.

Where I buy Italian beef, they recommend four sandwiches per pound of meat. We usually have lefeover meat using that formula. Not everyone, myself included, likes that much meat on a sandwich.

I have to say that 1/2 lb of sliced deli meat is a LOT of meat too. 1/2 lb/person of a roast is about right but also consider that much of that will cook down and not end up being 1/2. We get a 1/2 lb of deli meat and that will make about 5 sandwiches. I would get MAYBE 1 1/2 lbs. I think we got 6 lbs of pulled pork for DS15's grad party and had about 75 people and had PLENTY left over.

1 1/2 lbs for 13 people?:scared1: They would be bread sandwiches! I would go with 1/2 lb per person or about 6 lbs. It's always better to have too much food than not enough.

Subway puts 5 ounces of meat on a foot long sandwich. Around here Subway is know for how little meat they put on their sandwiches.

Too many variables for me to give a precise answer. Does every one in the group even eat beef? Do they like one razor thin slice of beef, or 2 or 3 inches.
If I was going to guess, I'd go with about 5 pounds, and have lots of lettuce, tomato, onion and cheese.

My mom is one of those thin slice of meat folks, my dad always had to remind her when she made a sandwich to "not be afraid to allow the meat to hang over the edges of the bread."

Now lets get back to a safer topic like religion or politics.!:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter