How much do cast members make?

tjbaggott said:
My friends daughter worked two years ago as a DCL Cast Member. Straight from her, she says: The tipped positions rely on the tips as their main income as they get paid VERY little by DCL (because those are tipped positions). Without the tips, they don't have much of an income at all. She worked as one of the entertainers, as a princess, and this is not a tipped position, so those people get paid a normal amount by DCL. Mentioning a cast member's name on the feedback froms in postive way, means those CM's get a good review, and perhaps they might be rewarded in some way, I'm not sure about that last point. I do know that it means a LOT to them!
Our server last fall, while explaining the feedback form to us, DID mention and her words were "if you think we did a good job, please mention us on the feedback, please help save our lives". I know she didn't mean that literally, but there was a certain amount of seriousness to that statement.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

That is assuming a lot, and only in the poorest of countries does that figure work. Also, remember that they have to pay for anything they use for clothing, toiletries, etc., and that is in USD.

You realize you resurrected a thread form a year and half ago?

:cutie:

Interesting thread. A few things I haven't noticed are the average annual incomes in a lot of the countries the CM's are from is way below poverty standards in the good ol' USA. Many in the $250-$1500 per year range. So if you can make that much in one 7 day cruise, well thats a no-brainer. As for the length of the contract, maybe thats why so many are so good at what they do and are so personable(sp) to us and our families. They are using us as surrogates for thier own familiesw. I say go ahead and use us up..:goodvibes It seems to be a good system and i haven't heard complaints like they are being treated like indentured servents or anything..:) Just my Opinion...

The only problem with the calculation above is that it assumes a full section (which is 18, not 20), and that everyone tips at least the minimum (which per servers, doesn't happen). The "normal" seating is one 8 top, one 6 top, and one 4 top per serving team; 18 guests per seating. Yes, there are LOTS of variations based on guest requests, etc.

This info is a few years old, but it came from a trusted CM. Those in serving positions get $50 (not sure if that's per month or per check), room and board, "costumes," and health insurance while on the ship. They can extend the insurance for a very reasonable amount between contracts. In addition, they receive their transportation "all the way home" at the end of a contract as well as to begin the next contract. My server was very impressed that he was literally transported to his front door as it was far more costly than just the airfare to the nearest big city. They have to provide black shoes, off duty clothing, toiletries, personal laundry, and their initial transportation to Florida after hiring. Since the ship is not registered in the US and they are not US citizens, they are not subject to US withholding, wage and tax laws, etc. There is nothing held back for taxes; if their country collects taxes, that is their responsibility. They get a check every 2 weeks for their minimal salary and those tips which were charged. Yes, it can be a lot of money, especially for those who pay no taxes in their home countries, but it's also a lot of work. Many are supporting families back home. One CM told me that they actually collect about 3/4 of what they'd get if everyone tipped the recommended amount. Another said that it's not uncommon to have at least one table per sailing totally stiff them. However, as he pointed out, he was still getting 8 times as much as he could hope to earn at home, and he had no living expenses.

This applies only to "tipped" positions. People in non-tipped positions are paid an appropriate salary as well as room and board. Benefits are somewhat dependent on position; there is a way that officers can have family sail with them either in their living space or in guest cabins. Non-officers also get benefits of guests sailing at no charge in some situations.

Positive comments "buy" all sorts of things--4 hours extra shore leave, a "good" schedule on the next cruise (yes, they feel some schedules are better than others), notation in their employment record which influences promotions, etc. The same thing happens when a guest requests a server or assistant; a certain number of requests = extra shore time. I know this because a CM thanked me for requesting him and explained that he got time off while in port because of it! Bad comments (repeatedly) will result in a contract not being renewed.

There is a HUGE "promote from within" program. We see people who we initially met in low positions (one assistant server, one stateroom host) who are now high ranking officers! Granted, that didn't happen overnight, but it happened. There is an official training program--an assistant server can apply to the program and be trained to be a server. It involves OTJ training, but also a written test, etc. The move to head server is HUGE as it involves a lot of safety and allergy issues. Essentially every CM we've talked to has confirmed that if you want to work hard and do a good job, you can go far in DCL. Many are encouraging their friends to apply now as with the new ships, there is a large hiring/training program in effect.

Just back from a CCL cruise and found out that there servers and stateroom hosts have to pay their own way home and back for the new contract. That makes DCL extremely generous. I was told some could have to pay $1500 to get home. Our stateroom host had 27 ROOMS but did have an assistant in the mornings. So I think they work extra hard on that ship but also make more too.

I don't know how many their servers normally have but our server had 26 people! 2 8 tops and a 10 top. He had been on the ship for 20 years so obviously it was worth it to him or he would not still be doing it. We honestly did not get to talk to him because he was so busy so that is all I know about him. Service was not what we would have wanted but we had wonderful table mates that we enjoyed spending time with so we did not mind that our dinner took 2 hours every night. It was not because he was not working his behind off.

I never even got time to tell him he should go work at DCL!

You realize you resurrected a thread form a year and half ago?

Why does that matter? The people who are reading it may be for the first time and may not have read anything on this topic before so it is new to them.

I don't understand why sometimes people have to make comments that seem to be putting down another poster.

Why does that matter? The people who are reading it may be for the first time and may not have read anything on this topic before so it is new to them.

I don't understand why sometimes people have to make comments that seem to be putting down another poster.

I certainly didn't mean the question as a put down. :goodvibes

I was just asking, because, possibly, some of the information being commented on might be out of date.

If someone does a search (which in inself is an unusual occurance) and pulls up an old thread and still has a question, I think it's probably a better idea to start a new one. Some people opening what they think will be a new question, and finding that it's actually an old one, may not go to the end to see what (if any) new questions/comments are being posted.

Sorry, if it came across that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts