How many times is too many?

My 32 year old son railed against me for this 2 weeks before Christmas. He also told me that I was too old to be feeling the pangs of empty nest and that I needed to move on - I had already been a mother and my time was over. I'm 56 and hadn't seen my daughter's child - my one precious grandchild in nearly a year (had just found out that night that another is on its way).
He'll never understand that I became a single mom within 2 years of buying into DVC in the early 90s and that I fought tooth and nail to make those 8 more years of payments on a barely there salary until I made it in the world. He'll never understand the hopes and dreams I had of giving my children something more - something to aspire to. The future I envisioned for my grandchildren. He doesn't get the joy I had when I was able to add 1100 points in resale a few years ago - ensuring wonderful vacations for friends and family and a partial retirement someday.
I don't decorate my house in Disney decor. I don't believe the characters are real (take it easy there, DISers). Most trips, I don't even use my trusty AP.
Now, just 2 months later, I find myself in an awful position of having to sell most of my points and not fast enough. Add it to my pile of mourning. Just one more thing that didn't work out. More salt in the wound but I've come to terms with it. One of my younger co-workers called me Lemony Snicket the other day, it was funny; sort of.
But, I will forever miss those points, however grateful I am to have had them and more grateful to be fortunate to keep some and, sadly, I will not be able to forget my Son's freedom to speak to me the way he did and the fury he had because I spent my very hard earned money on a dream that we would all be a family forever - a real, American, normal family or the harsh mocking of my Disney travel habits. I travel quite a bit to many places so it was unnecessarily cruel. (and, no, neither of us could have guessed at the series of circumstances that happened 3 weeks ago all at once).
So, OP, next time someone comments on your travel. Smile brightly, fill that mouth with sugar and say, "Why bless your heart, for asking. I'm flattered you're so interested." and then change the topic.
Have a DVC day!
I am so, so sorry. It sounds like you worked so hard for your family in difficult circumstances. I wish they could appreciate and understand that. One of the gifts of adulthood is learning to understand how much our parents did for us (if we're lucky and had decent parents). But sometimes people just choose not to see that. Consider this a virtual hug.

I'm not DVC (yet! Someday, I hope!) so I hope you won't mind me chiming in on a DVC forum. But I wanted to say that I get this completely. My whole extended family just doesn't get it. My husband and I love WDW and DL, as does my teenage daughter--though she also wants to go everywhere else, so we struggle over decisions. And I work in a field (academia) where it's kind of cool to hate everything that's popular with large numbers of people. I get lots of very judgmental "Don't you want your daughter to see the rest of the world?" and "Going abroad is so important and educational." Look, I've been lots of places. At this point in my life, as the OP said, WDW is my "happy place" and it's a coping mechanism. A highlight of my day is checking my vacation countdown app (297 days!).
Let's stick together in our joy. Everyone in the Dis family helped me when I was feeling embarrassed about the time I spend watching/reading about Disney between trips. This community lifted me up and helped me understand that my joy is precious, just like everyone else's. We can all just get t-shirts that say "Again?!" to wear around the parks :)

My 32 year old son railed against me for this 2 weeks before Christmas. He also told me that I was too old to be feeling the pangs of empty nest and that I needed to move on - I had already been a mother and my time was over. I'm 56 and hadn't seen my daughter's child - my one precious grandchild in nearly a year (had just found out that night that another is on its way).
He'll never understand that I became a single mom within 2 years of buying into DVC in the early 90s and that I fought tooth and nail to make those 8 more years of payments on a barely there salary until I made it in the world. He'll never understand the hopes and dreams I had of giving my children something more - something to aspire to. The future I envisioned for my grandchildren. He doesn't get the joy I had when I was able to add 1100 points in resale a few years ago - ensuring wonderful vacations for friends and family and a partial retirement someday.
I don't decorate my house in Disney decor. I don't believe the characters are real (take it easy there, DISers). Most trips, I don't even use my trusty AP.
Now, just 2 months later, I find myself in an awful position of having to sell most of my points and not fast enough. Add it to my pile of mourning. Just one more thing that didn't work out. More salt in the wound but I've come to terms with it. One of my younger co-workers called me Lemony Snicket the other day, it was funny; sort of.
But, I will forever miss those points, however grateful I am to have had them and more grateful to be fortunate to keep some and, sadly, I will not be able to forget my Son's freedom to speak to me the way he did and the fury he had because I spent my very hard earned money on a dream that we would all be a family forever - a real, American, normal family or the harsh mocking of my Disney travel habits. I travel quite a bit to many places so it was unnecessarily cruel. (and, no, neither of us could have guessed at the series of circumstances that happened 3 weeks ago all at once).
So, OP, next time someone comments on your travel. Smile brightly, fill that mouth with sugar and say, "Why bless your heart, for asking. I'm flattered you're so interested." and then change the topic.
Have a DVC day!
Thank you so much for sharing this. I forgot there are much bigger issues to deal with for many many people. I’m so sorry you have to go through all this adversity. One thing I know for sure, nothing ever stays the same, be it good or bad. Hopefully the good over rides the bad for you.
Warm hugs 🤗

We had just gotten off the fantasy and it was like night and day. We will stick to cruising. Others can have the parks. We still have lots of non expire tickets, so we will do a day at Epcot every couple years to use them up. Going to sell our last DVC contract this year also.
I had a similar reaction, and was surprised how much I enjoyed the cruise. Not ready to sell any DVC points, but it's going to be interesting to see how we decide to juggle DVC + cruises in the coming years. (We may tire of cruising after a while, too.)

As for the original post, I usually just tell people I'm "going to Florida." Many people's idea of Disney is limited to posing for photos with Mickey Mouse and riding It's a Small World. I don't feel the need to explain / justify in great detail.

There are many threads about this. Have you ever said to your friends who own a cottage "You're going to the cottage AGAIN?". Likely not. My friends and family have long since stopped asking me, now they just say "So? When are you going?" They put me in the category of "that special family member". :rotfl2: I'm good with being "special".
I did look for other posts about this because I know I’ve seen them before but the wording or combination of words didn’t come up.
I’m good with being “special” too 💁🏼‍♀️

I've been there over 50 times since 2006, so that averages out to about 3 trips per year. And when I retire in 2 years I'm going to move as close to WDW as I can (I'm already eyeing up communities close to the parks). I never feel the need to explain myself for all of the reasons given. Everyone has their passions, but most people aren't backed into a corner to explain them. I'm a high school teacher and my students will occasionally ask me why I go so often. My response is always: "Have you ever been there?" If they answer yes I say "then you know why." If they answer no I say "then you need to go." Nuff said.

I'm not DVC (yet! Someday, I hope!) so I hope you won't mind me chiming in on a DVC forum.

Even though you may not have your blue or white DVC card, that doesn't mean you are not welcome. It also does not mean that you are not part of our family.

We welcome you here, and look forward to when you get to hear the words "Welcome Home!" when you visit our happy place.

I know some folks don’t get the appeal and that’s fine-i don’t expect them to just as I don’t get the appeal of some of the things other people do.

However, I’m really glad we’ve also done other travel including international travel with our kids, not just Disney. I love Disney but it definitely doesn’t give the same “expand the world” experience as other trips have (and our international trips have all been cheaper than our Disney trips, which is so crazy).

But isn't it great when you bring someone on a Disney trip and they finally tell you: "Now I get why you like it so much"?
Love that moment. About 18 years ago, I was in Orlando with my then boss on a business trip. I talked her into going to Boardwalk for dinner (we were staying Downtown). I flashed my member card at the BW parking guard to get in ;-). We ate at ESPN. Afterwards we were walking the boardwalk and she says “now I understand why you like this”. Yes!!!!

Disfolks are my people! :love:

I went to Disney a couple of times as a kid and LOVED it! I went with a college roomie when we were both young teachers on spring break and realized I still LOVED it! When my sons were 6 & 9, DH (in 2011) and I took them to WDW for the first time. It was DH's first time too, and that trip was MAGICAL! Everything was a wonder to all three of my boys, and we've gone at least once a year since...

It's been a dream of ours to buy DVC, and we finally made that dream a reality when we bought VGF last year. Thankfully, our boys are still every bit as excited about Disney as I am. We took two separate trips to WDW last year; each boy had a different spring break, and we took each boy's buddy on the two trips. Both guys had never been to WDW, and everything was a wonder to them. It was SO fun to experience Disney through their eyes, which renewed our love of Disney for sure.

My in-laws have never been. We've offered to have them come with us and they have always declined. My MIL is the one that says, "You're going to Disney...AGAIN!?!?!" a lot. I just smile and say, "Yes!" and move on. She's never been, so she doesn't understand.

We can't wait for our welcome home trip in March!

First off if I were you and had DVC, my first thing would be to remind people it’s a time share.

Second off, as many humans have said in regards to Disney and universal and Aulani and DCL and RCL and Celebrity: It is what WE enjoy.

I can understand if your son went a lot as a kid with DVC, but also he is an adult and should realize that his parents enjoy it enough and to let them live life.

As someone only a little older than your son: believe me while I have traveled abroad I wish I could go more and I totally get wanting to go to new places, but with prices, even before the pandemic and inflation, we’re not ideal. A lot of people don’t have options for the whole family. And a lot don’t have options for abroad either.

Disney/Universal/various other places and cruise lines offer an almost always better option for many. And plus people enjoy it! Just let people enjoy things!

My oldest daughter (15) and husband are over it. My youngest daughter (11) and I love it. I hear "Disney again?" ALL the time from both of them as well as my parents and sister and cousins etc. It's quite annoying lol. I don't think I'll ever be done with DVC. The parks may be a different story, but upcoming changes seem positive to me so we will see. I plan to add enough points in the next 10 years to be able to spend January and February in Disney each year after my kids are both moved out. I am in real estate so it offers me the flexibility to do this. It's a compromise my husband and I came up with to keep me from moving to Florida all together once the kids are in college!

Over the 22 years at WDW I interacted with thousands of people just like the OP. They're the best Guests to deal with, made my job easier.

I say go as often as you need to. If you enjoy it, go for it. As long as it's not having a negative impact on your day to day life, your health or financial situation, have fun.

As for us, we're done with the parks unless it's to get family and friends in. Cruising on Disney ships has replaced the parks.

My oldest daughter (15) and husband are over it. My youngest daughter (11) and I love it. I hear "Disney again?" ALL the time from both of them as well as my parents and sister and cousins etc. It's quite annoying lol. I don't think I'll ever be done with DVC. The parks may be a different story, but upcoming changes seem positive to me so we will see. I plan to add enough points in the next 10 years to be able to spend January and February in Disney each year after my kids are both moved out. I am in real estate so it offers me the flexibility to do this. It's a compromise my husband and I came up with to keep me from moving to Florida all together once the kids are in college!
My mom is similar to your husband (however she loved DLR on our trip this past summer and I know part of that is it wasn’t just DLR but it was definitely a nice change of pace).

Some people also don’t realize that there are some humans who don’t like relaxing on beaches, don’t like moving from one thing to the next, don’t like constantly doing historical/museum related things. I think if people openly discussed stuff and figured everything out it would be a lot better for many. My dad is the I need to be doing stuff all the time and my mom is more a relaxer. I’m in the middle but I’m also a planner. I love knowing where and when I’m doing things but I also make sure to incorporate a rest/different thing to do day in my/our schedules.

I live in Boston and have friends with 2nd homes in Maine or at Cape Cod. They go to their 2nd homes 3-4 weeks a year and rent them out to pay the bills the rest of the time. I consider My DVC to be my second home and I dont have to bother renting it out or fixing it or winteizing it . I go to DW 3-4 weeks a year. I ask myself would I rather pay much more for a home on a lake or down the cape ; or travel to the most magical place in the world for the same amount of time ? Its a no brainer for me. I golf , Eat at great restaurants 'enjoy the parks , swim and enjoy the night life. If I want to go to the beach I book VB or HH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter