How many points for the seven day cruises

drricksullivan

Earning My Ears
I am considering the DVC and am curious about how many points are needed for the cruises...I have 2 kids who are 13 and 11..

Thanks

Rick

I would be happy to help you but I need more information. Specifically:

1. What dates do you have in mind to take your cruise? Some times of the year (like fall) are less than others.

2. What type of stateroom do you need? DVC members can book staterooms in categories 4-11. Go to the disney website to get information on the staterooms. www.disney.com

3. Are you interested in the 7 day Eastern or Western cruise? The Eastern cruise takes you to St. Maarten, St. Thomas, and Disney's own island, Castaway Cay. The Western Cruise travels to Key West, Grand Cayman Island, Castaway Cay and Cozumel, Mexico. The Western cruise will begin in May 2002.

I am just curious about a range...travel could be any time of the year...as far as staterooms, the basic ones are fine...I am just trying to figure out how many points I should consider buying..we are taking the eastern route on the Majic in March with two adjoiing staterooms in Cat. 9, after paying about 4K for that (I got the sunshine special) I am thinking that the DVC would pay for itself rather quickly...my wife love the WL so the VWL would be great....I've not talked to anyone at Disney yet.....I've just looked around the Timeshare Co. website and been reading these and other boards til my eyes blur....

Thanks

Rick

We are going November 24-December 1 on 396 pts. Me, DH, DD (10) and DS (13). We are driving down from Indiana. For an additional 30(some) pts we have Thanksgiving and the day after at Boardwalk (an we own at OKW and VERO). I booked our cruise while on vacation in June.

It looks to me like it comes out like this:

In Value Season (1/6-2/10, 9/22-11/10, 11/24-12/15) you would need 148 pts. for you and your wife, 53 points for each of your children, for a total of: 402 pts.

In Regular Season (2/17-4/7, 4/21-6/23, 7/7-9/1) you would need 173 points for you and your wife, and 78 pts./child for a total of:
452 pts. This looks like it corresponds with the dates you have booked.

In Peak Season (4/14, 6/30, 11/17) you would need 185 pts. for the adults and 102 points for each child.

I have heard that some people use points for adults and pay cash for their children. Hope this helps.

The point requirements that MaryJ posted appear to be from the 2001 chart for one category 9 stateroom.

drricksullivan has an existing cash reservation for "two adjoining staterooms in Cat. 9" for an upcoming Eastern Caribbean cruise in March -- presumably 2002.

If we compare apples to apples...

The regular "per person / double occupancy" point rate applies to the first two passengers in each stateroom, regardless of age. (The child DVC point rates only apply when the children are the third, fourth, or fifth passengers in one stateroom.) So for two "two adjoining staterooms," four regular point rates would be required.

Thus, for most 7-night Eastern Caribbean cruises in March 2002, the category 9 point requirements would be 4 x 178 = 712 points. For the peak season 7-night Eastern Caribbean cruise departing 3/30/02, the category 9 point requirements would be 4 x 211 = 844 points.

It's not surprising that there's a substantial premium for occupying two staterooms instead of just one.

By the way, in 2001, DCL's definition of child is someone who is 3-17. In 2002, DVC's definition of child is someone who is 3-12. So if a family with a father, mother, 11-year-old, and 13-year-old occupy one stateroom in 2002, it would require two regular "per person / double occupancy" rates, one child rate, and one "all others, 13 and over" rate.

Thanks Werner for setting me straight. This is what happens when I get in a hurry.

Thanks for your help...I spoke with a DVC guide yesterday and we very quickly figured out that my 969 pp rate was way better than using points...I'll stick with cash for some stuff and points for others...Thanks

Need only one adult to be booked on points per room the rest can be cash. We are a family of 5 and Iam looking into a catagory
4 stateroom was also told by MS we could book 2 lower catagory staterooms for less points as long as one person in each room was booked with points and at least one person in each room was 18 years old or older.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter