How long to walk around Epcot World Showcase??

girliemomx3

Earning My Ears
I have three little kids so I am not planning on spending extensive time at each country...see a cm to sign the girls Autograph book, find the Penny pressing machine, take a few pictures. So I was wondering how long I might need to walk around the lagoon for planning purposes. We are eating B-fast in Norway and have Dinnner Reservations in MGM. Was hoping to see some of MGM before dinner!!

Thanks

It shouldn't take you more than a few hours. The walk in between each pavilion is only 3 minutes at most (even with kids). Your problems will be that you will have to walk by the International Gateway once to get to all the different countries, and then back track to get to MGM. I'm assuming you are taking the boat?

Your amount of time will also depend on crowds. If it's crowded, you may have to wait in line longer to see the characters. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I have never seen characters at every pavilion. They have scheduled meet and greet times, so you might not be able to walk around the lagoon and hit characters in each country.

There are also the Kidcot Fun Stops - Kids love to make the masks and talk to the CMs at each stop. It think there is a stop in each country.There are also passports that you can buy ($9.95 each) and get stamped (I think) in each country. Don't try to rush through EPCOT. There are a lot of cool things there even for younger children. The candy lady in Japan is fun. Make sure you do the Mexico boat ride - very kid friendly, usually a walk-on. The Norway ride may be scary. There is a little hedge maze in UK that my boys thought was great. There is a ship in Norway to climb on. (although this may be closed for renovation) Shopping in the Japanese and Chinese department stores is very cool and you can find some inexpensive souvies there.

I'm sure you can get to MGM before dinner, but don't try to cram too much into one day. Just not worth the aggravation. Let the kids take the lead for a while. Don't say anything about getting to MGM and seeing The Little Mermaid, just take your time and see what happens. If no one is enjoying themselves, you can always head to MGM. Walking around EPCOT is not so much fun in the rain, so if you do have rain, you will probably be heading out to MGM much sooner.

I really enjoy EPCOT and my boys (5 1/2 and 8 at the time) really did too. I just hate to see families whiz through the countries and not see anything - then the kids say that was really boring! Also, go the the MK after EPCOT. Kids expect rides, characters, etc. if they have been to MK first. EPCOT is different, but very enjoyable. Have Fun!!

Probably in the minority but, we've never made it all away around! Always use EE and commando to ride TT, MS, etc. By the time we get half way around the boats look so appealing & we catch one back to save our tired feet half the distance to the main gate.:banana:

At all other parks, we usually enter early & leave by 1:00 p.m. for a rest, then return for dinner & the rest of the evening. When we tour Epcot, I'm done for the day by 2:00 p.m. Don't know how small children can take the hike.

Small kids would enjoy Norway, American Experience, and Canada just for shopping. If you are not planning on doing ANY attractions (movies or American Experience, etc.) You could walk this in about 2 hours. If you plan on seeing some movies and doing more kid things, I'd say 4 hours.

Letsbgoofy said:
It shouldn't take you more than a few hours. The walk in between each pavilion is only 3 minutes at most (even with kids). Your problems will be that you will have to walk by the International Gateway once to get to all the different countries, and then back track to get to MGM. I'm assuming you are taking the boat?

Gee, I thought I was pretty well versed about WDW, but you've stumped me here: International Gateway? Boat to MGM? Would love more info. THANKS!

The International Gateway is another entrance into EPCOT. It is between UK and France I believe. The gateway is within walking distance of the EPCOT resorts (Beach/Yacht Club, Boardwalk, Swan/Dolphin). There are boats from those resorts to the gateway. There are also boats to MGM from the International Gateway. The only problem there is it is not a direct route. From EPCOT you may have to stop at several resorts before actually getting to MGM, but it is still worth it if you have never done it.

The International Gateway is between France and GReat Britain, It is a walkway to the Boardwalk area and the boat to the resorts and MGM. It is a nice walk to the Y&BC and the Boardwalk or a boat ride which stops at all the resorts and then MGM.

Just before you go over the bridge between England and France there is a walkway. If you go down the walkway there is and entrance and exit. Just outside of this is a boat dock. There you can catch a boat and will take you to MGM. It will first go to the Boardwalk, then to Yacht and Beach Club, then to the Swan and Dolphin and fianlly to MGM. It really is a nice little ride and after walking around the WS the sitting might help. If you really feel like it, you could also walk from the International Gatway to MGM.LOL :rotfl:

In january (off-peak) I got to Epcot at 6:30pm, walked to World Showcase, around the lagoon, stopping to meet Beast in france, Pooh in UK, Aladdin and Genie in Morocco, rode Mealstrom in Norway, El Rio del Tempo in Mexico, had sushi in japan, kids ate in USA and had a cake in France and watched some of the bellydancer in morocco. these are the only countries i stopped at on my way round and not in much detail. We made it out to the lagoonside by 8:45pm to wait for Illuminations. So a small tour can be done in 2 to 3 hours if you were briefly stopping at each pavillion.
However i loved it so much and felt sad for cramming it in like that, so i am going back next October just to spend more time appreciating the gardens and step inside some of the shops which I didn't get to do at all this time.

I estimate that if World showcase opens at 11am, you could be done by 2:30pm latest and in MGM by 3:30 latest (allowing transit/ entry time). this would give you a little time to hit a couple of attractions. be careful with little ones though, they may not last this kind of day, unless they nap in a stroller.

have fun,
Claire xx

We just got back and spent almost 3 hours doing the world showcase with my ds5 and ds3. They loved making the masks and ended up completing it. We actually felt rushed at the last couple of stations becase we had a dinner reservation to make. We rode the Norway ride (stayed for the film) and the Mexico ride twice but the Viking ship was closed. We didn't really have time for much shopping or really any dawdling. We rented a stroller on this day because of the vastness of the park. We also went to MGM for Fantasmic! after dinner and barely made it. If I were to do it again, I would not try to do any park after Epcot, I missed a lot that I had wanted to see. There is always next time :)

Your kids are so adorable!!! We always budget about a half day. That way we can stroll around, do lunch, look at things, etc. When we're done with the WS we may or may not catch an attraction or 2 at FW, but usually we just head back for a nap or a swim. Word of warning - when I was little and went to the WS I would get incredibly cranky because it wasn't as exciting as the rest of the parks - perhaps with Kidcot it will be more entertaining. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter