How long does it take to lose 50-60 lbs.??

NY Disney fan

DIS Veteran
If you exercise 5 days a week (30 min a day, cardio/weights) and eat very cleanly (no processed food). In other words if you lost it slowly, how long would it take?

Well, if you went by the high end of the recommended 1-2 lbs per week and lost 2 per week, it would take you 25 to 30 weeks. Of course, in the beginning, you can lose more safely, but this is a good guideline. :)

Well.... on the Biggest Loser (on tv) some people do that in 4-5 weeks! But of course, that is unrealistic for the real world. And of course, it would depend on things like your starting weight and whether you were male or female.

Males, of course, lose weight faster... and generally the more you have to lose, the faster it comes off initially. So a 300 lb male could probably lose 50 pounds in 8-10 week (with real effort, of course), but it would probably take a 200 lb. female about double that time (at least). Just speaking from my experiences, of course.

I lost 40 pounds in 2003... and it took me pretty much all year.. but I got very little exercise and cheated frequently.

Then, in 2008 I lost another 35+ in about 14 weeks.... but I was trying HARD and exercising regularly and had virtually NO CHEATS for that entire 14 weeks. That said, I started at 219 lb. in 2003 and I am female..............P

If you exercise 5 days a week (30 min a day, cardio/weights) and eat very cleanly (no processed food). In other words if you lost it slowly, how long would it take?

Don't forget.... eating cleanly doesn't mean that you won't OVEREAT. It is still about portion control, no matter WHAT you are eating.........P

As a trainer I would tell you about 1-2 pounds a week is healthy. I would also tell you regardlees of what the Fed says, 30 minutes is not real cardio workout. It is better than nothing but one really needs 45-60 minutes for a work out that will change a life.

Fianlly, Not being cold but you really need to ask yourself
-How long did it take to to add those 50 pounds?
- what driver in my life caused the me to turn to food as a crutch and a couch as a life style?

It can take a person just as long to successfully take off 50# and keep it off as it did to put it on. We hope that through trainig and nutrition skills we learn and can speed this up. But what I see a lot of are folks that do not make the 'life change' and get tripped up once we make goal - only to start back up again 6 month later.

I guess my thoughts here are do not ask how long; rather ask what life style decisions can I change?

110% agree with coach. you can lose it as fast or as slow as you want. What I have found is the challange of keeping it off.

Maintaining can be fun if you let it be. It took me about 9 months total. Some months went better than others. Been at 190 for a couple months and just about ready to make another push to get rid of another 10 or so.

Find what you enjoy. if you are part of a gym, find that class that works for you. I have figured out that I love Turbo Kick Boxing and a core class called 24 Set at my gym. I HATE working weights. The classes are great because they are set up to get you to the different levels of energy usage (bad phrase, sorry) during your workout.

I learned to live differently in my food choices and that made all the difference. Heatlhy is great, but not if you eat too much of it. no matter how healthy it is.

Good Luck and enjoy the journey. it can be amazing if you let it!

It all depends on what you put into it. In my opinion it is better to loose slow and steady, because your odds of keeping it off are greater. I lost 70 pounds and it took me 18 months. I kept it off for a while, but then gained back 25 pounds. I since lost that 25 and have kept the weight off for over 2-1/2 years.

Took me about 6-7 months to lose 60 lbs. have kept all but 5lbs of it off for 6 years now. You need to educate yourself about how many calories are in the food you eat, or better yet, hoe many calories in the food you can do without. Skip the cheese, mayo, ditch the bun(at least the top)

Also try and reframe how you think about portions, you don't need to be "full" also note how hard it is to burn calories, I always over estimated the impact of exercise before I started running on treadmill and elliptical and got a better idea. Much easier not to eat a 300 calorie candy bar than to burn it off at the gym :thumbsup2

Unfortunately, our bodies aren't actual machines, and it is hard to tell it exactly how to lose.

I've been doing WW since mid-Feb, and I'm nearly at 60lbs lost. I eat all of my WW "points", including the Weekly ones and the Activity points, too. This means I actually eat quite a bit, considering it's a "diet".

My husband, however, is a MUCH slower loser than I am (so men do NOT always lose faster), and he's at a fabulous and wonderful 35 lbs lost in the same amount of time minus 4 days (I joined first).

If I were a machine, I would think that the less I ate the more I would lose. I have found over this time that it's not true. If I don't eat my activity points, not only do my workouts suffer, but I lose less over a few weeks time. If I don't eat my Weekly points, I lose a tiny bit slower, or the same, but I am ravenous and MISERABLE. I need that extra food emotionally and mentally, and eating that extra food isn't hurting my losses one little bit (and, in fact, helps IMO, if only to keep me from eating the entire contents of the pantry out of desperation). If I were a machine, that would make no sense.

So there's no real way to know how you, as an individual, will lose. Gotta try it to see! :)

For me it took me 13 months to lose 46 pounds. :cool1: I increased cardio (running only) and increased food. Took away refined sugars, switched them out for fruit/natural sugars. I eat more food than ever, continue to run 3x a week, 10-15 miles total and have kept the weight off for the past year.

I am a 40 year old hockey mom of an 8 and 9 year old with full time job. Time management and an understanding husband helps, of course now he like that I wear a bikini... lol

I will be running the 5K in Epcot next week!!

I was at 260, got down to 203 in 24 weeks.. I used the Body for Life book / program. Then I got lazy, had some hardships fall upon me, made excuses, quit and in about a year and a half gained almost all back.. :( Getting ready to start again.. I'm male aged 44..

Can I join you? I had similar experience as I lost 3 and a half stone then gained 2 stone. It was stress at work, now I want to starts to lose again. What are your plans? I can't exercise everyday realistically it will be 3 times a week.
It would be good to share ideas.

If you have a lot of excess weight to lose, you can lose alot in 6 weeks or less just by diet, and no exercise. Eat only veggies, fruit, maybe a small amount of oatmeal, a cup of plain no-fat yogurt, no more than 2 tsp. of raw, unprocessed sugar a day, 2 tbsp. of flax oil a day. Eat as much of the fruits and veggies as you want daily. No meat, no fat (except for the flax oil, including no avocados), limited grains as noted, no salt, no dairy except as noted, no seeds/nuts/beans. When you are done with the 6 weeks, slowly introduce unprocessed good foods like meat and dairy back into your diet. If you feel the need, track the amount of protein you are getting to assure yourself that you are getting enough.

It took me a year to lose 55 pounds. I didn't eat "clean". I ate healthier, still ate out on weekends (I'd check the nutritional values of meals before we went), controlled my snacking, measured my food and exercised moderately. I was determined but not CRAZED. I feel it took a long time. However. . . four years later I'm still maintaining it - usually within 5 to 8 pounds.

I know people that think they can eat anything because they work out. So NOT TRUE. Losing weight, I found, is more about what you eat, then how much you exercise. For me, it took a bit of both. :)

Good luck! You can do it.

. It is better than nothing but one really needs 45-60 minutes for a work out that will change a life.

I strongly echo this - try to work out 60 minutes a day and expect to lose 1-2 lbs per week. Your muscles will get use to the same workout and burn less calories so you want to vary your workouts and make them progressively harder. If you have a full hour try 35 mins cardio and 25 mins strengthening - alternating between abs and arms/legs each day.

There are plenty of aps out there to help you along the way but I would recommend MyFitnessPal. You can track weight, waist size, arm size and theigh size. You can also track your daily workout (calories burned) against your food intake.

Not eating processed foods is great but also try focusing on fat and sugar content as well. Eating goods high in protein will keep you feeling fuller longer (nuts, lean meats & greek yogurt are all great) and if eating any bread products try to only eat multi-grain.

Good Luck & make sure to celebrate the milestones!

It took me 6 months to lose 47 pounds and I am still going! I was doing Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones 3 days a week, Water Aerobics on Mondays and Pilates on Tuesdays. I eat a pretty healthy diet, sometimes I cheat, but mostly fruits and veggies. I also use my Elliptical occasionally.

This works best for me and now that I have increased my Jillian workouts to 5 days a week, I see better results this month! :)

Good Luck!

The original poster hasn't come back but I decided to post anyway. I started with a goal of 50 lbs to lose as well. I was eating healthy and exercising and after 2 months I had not lost an ounce. I tracked all my calories and taken measurements. No changes. Then I read "The Blood Sugar Solution". After that I decided I would follow the recommendations of the book and do a dairy free and gluten free diet. I started it on 12/29/13. I am doing that in conjunction with P90X. At my 2 month mark I was down 20 lbs.

I ran into some roadblocks the last 2 weeks with everyone in the family getting sick so I am not expecting that pace will continue by the 3rd month weigh-in. But, I have decided that I am making this my lifestyle. I feel more energy, my confidence is much higher, I am more productive, etc...

So, long story short, there is no way to know because you might be doing all the right things and still not lose because your body doesn't like the food your eating, which is what was happening to me.

And, much like the previous poster, I signed up for my first runDisney race. I am doing the ToT ten miler in October. I hate running but wanted the challenge, and the reward of a Disney trip makes it easier.

The original poster hasn't come back but I decided to post anyway. I started with a goal of 50 lbs to lose as well. I was eating healthy and exercising and after 2 months I had not lost an ounce. I tracked all my calories and taken measurements. No changes. Then I read "The Blood Sugar Solution". After that I decided I would follow the recommendations of the book and do a dairy free and gluten free diet. I started it on 12/29/13. I am doing that in conjunction with P90X. At my 2 month mark I was down 20 lbs.

I ran into some roadblocks the last 2 weeks with everyone in the family getting sick so I am not expecting that pace will continue by the 3rd month weigh-in. But, I have decided that I am making this my lifestyle. I feel more energy, my confidence is much higher, I am more productive, etc...

So, long story short, there is no way to know because you might be doing all the right things and still not lose because your body doesn't like the food your eating, which is what was happening to me.

And, much like the previous poster, I signed up for my first runDisney race. I am doing the ToT ten miler in October. I hate running but wanted the challenge, and the reward of a Disney trip makes it easier.

It sounds like you are doing the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD). I would encourage you to also look at the GAPS diet (Gut and Psychology Syndrome) and see if it applies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter