How is food served at 'Ohana breakfast?

TillyMarigold

DIS Veteran
We're meeting my best friend and her kids at Disney World this year and I've booked the breakfast at 'Ohana. I know it's family-style, but I was wondering exactly how the food is served. Is it brought around on separate platters for each type of food, like the 'Ohana dinner? Or one platter/skillet per table with everything in it, like at Akershus?

My friend's family does not eat pork for religious reasons. I emailed Special Diets to ask them the above question, and they asked me to fill out the whole special dietary request form and all that. It is the only meal her kids are going to (we may have an adults-only meal with her also) so it seems like a lot of work for just 1 reservation. (Obviously at anything where there's a menu, they can just not order pork.) If it's one platter/skillet per table, then we would want one without sausage or bacon, so I will fill out the form and send it back; but if each dish is brought around separately like they do at the 'Ohana dinner, then we can just say "no" to the person serving those dishes, and not bother filling out the form.

Thank you all!

Bread in its basket brought to the table when you are seated.
Fruit on its own plate brought to the table.
Hot items - eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes - brought all together in a platter (reminds me of a wok).
Waffles brought around and served individually onto your plate.

If your friends prefer, they will bring individually-plated eggs to them.

You don't even need to do the dietary form thing if this is all you need - we've done it many times just asking our 'cousin' (server) and they take care of it, no problem.

If you wanted to, it may be easier to just ask them to put the pork products in a separate wok, if your friends are okay with that. Then you can still enjoy the platters together and those who do eat pork can help themselves from the plate on the side. :)

i ate at ohanas in 2008 and they served the bread first which you carry to the table, they then get your pineapple juice nd then you order drinks. then there is one skillet if i remember correctly of bacon eggs and sausage? and another one with mickey waffles

Well, I'm pescatarian, so I wouldn't eat it anyway. My DH might or might not eat some. (He's mostly pescatarian, but breakfast sausage is his primary weakness.)

How religious are your friends? Would they be comfortable eating the eggs if they are plated separately from the pork products? Do they understand that the bacon and sausage will be prepared alongside food they will be eating? At a place like 'Ohana, cross-contamination is almost inevitable.

I ask these questions because we also do not eat pork for religious purposes. We also love dinner at 'Ohana. We have never filled out a dietary form or marked our concerns on the reservation. The servers have always been courteous and helpful to meet our needs.

Last time we ate at 'Ohana, in January, the restaurant staff cooked the other skewered meat on special grills away from all pork products. It was unnecessary, because we do not observe to that extent, but it was such a wonderful gesture. We were floored by that level of service, but I would not expect all servers to be so proactive and compassionate. If cross-contamination is a legitimate concern for your friends, it may not be a terrible idea to fill out the paperwork. Otherwise, speaking to the servers at the restaurant should suffice.

They'd probably be okay with it, I'll have to check. My best friend's husband is the strictest in their family, but he's not coming.

But honestly, since most of us don't eat sausage/bacon, it might be easiest to just ask for a skillet of just eggs and potatoes. My husband can eat sausage elsewhere if he wants it.

Thank you for your help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter