How important is it to match "Use Year" with your existing contracts????

nasmith

DIS Veteran
Considering buying an additional resale property....Is there any benefit to having the same use year other than making it easier when it comes to figuring out which points are available when (I can do math)....

I would assume that as long as both use years are before my intended vacations, then it shouldn't make a difference, right??

Just wanting to make sure I'm not missing something - Thanks.....

Matching use years was the most important consideration for me adding on. I wouldn’t do it any other way. Being able to seamlessly mix points across contracts online is a huge benefit.

I think it depends on how you intend to use the contracts. We are looking at two different UY because a) the same UY is not readily available for our 2nd contract and b) we intend to bounce between them every other year anyway. If you need to combine points frequently for a larger room then it certainly makes sense to get same UY. The likelihood of us getting a GV or a Bungalow is extremely slim so I am not concerned with combing points at 7 mos and we could just transfer points between contracts for the one-off if necessary.

It is certainly more work to manage two different UY, but there are plenty on here who have north of 5 different UYs.

We have had two different use years for nearly our entire membership (17 years). Never had a problem managing them. The only drawback we found is if you buy their travel insurance - it is sold on a per use year basis

We have 3 different UY and it works perfect for us. We chose the UY based on where and when we wanted to stay.

as long as you have enough points in each contract for the desired trip, no problem. But if you need to combine points it could be a bit of a hassle.

I have two UYs. One with two different resorts totaling 275 points and the other matching one of the resorts with 50 points. I transfer the 50 point contract often, unless I use it for short stays in an OKW studio.

Okay - so now I'm really confused.....

Let's say I have a June use year for 100 pts and a September use year for 100 pts - and want to make a reservation for a December vacation for 200 pts - I couldn't' just use both contracts to do so?

I currently have 3 contracts, but all with the same use year....

Okay - so now I'm really confused.....

Let's say I have a June use year for 100 pts and a September use year for 100 pts - and want to make a reservation for a December vacation for 200 pts - I couldn't' just use both contracts to do so?

I currently have 3 contracts, but all with the same use year....
You could book as many night as possible with each 100 point contract, but you'd probably have points left over or be short nights. For example. The nights you need are 30, 30, 30, 30, 40 and 40. So the first three nights are 90 points and you have 10 left over. The next three are 110 and you need 10 more points. So you only get five nights instead of six if you don't transfer.

You'd need to transfer from one to the other to combine the points to use. If they were both the same resort, you could transfer the June to the Sept or the Sept to the June and make the Dec trip with 200 points at 11 months out. If they were different resorts, you could make that reservation at seven months out. You cannot combine them if they are different UYs without transferring one to the other.

Thanks so much!! That makes sense---- I really appreciate all of you that take the time to answer these questions!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter