How Important is Express Pass?

We were there in April, stayed on site and had free Express Pass. LOVED IT!! Other than getting into the park early to ride Hagrids and Velocicoaster, there was NO planning needed. We walked around the park and decided what we wanted to ride and when. spiderman was the only ride with a 15-20 minute wait for Express Pass. Nearly everything else was under 5 minutes.

Now that Disneyland and Walt Disney World annual passes are no longer available (out of state here), I'm considering an annual pass to Universal Orlando. Which pass would be the best for an out-of-state pass holder? I'm thinking the Preferred would be the best deal, it's a big jump in price to go to the Premier, and the Express Pass, Valet, and HHN tickets are nice, but not essential to me. Thoughts?

Now that Disneyland and Walt Disney World annual passes are no longer available (out of state here), I'm considering an annual pass to Universal Orlando. Which pass would be the best for an out-of-state pass holder? I'm thinking the Preferred would be the best deal, it's a big jump in price to go to the Premier, and the Express Pass, Valet, and HHN tickets are nice, but not essential to me. Thoughts?
Depends on when you’re coming and where you’re staying and how much you’re buying. For my family, we went with seasonal passes because we weren’t planning to come during blackout times (we prefer to try for lower crowd periods). We flew in and stayed onsite, so didn’t need parking. We don’t spend so much on food and souvenirs that I thought the discount alone would not justify the price difference. Then, on the third trip, I upgraded one pass (mine) to preferred solely for the parking, and we stayed offsite for two of our trips. Because one can always upgrade, I think it makes sense to start with the lowest priced pass that you think will meet your needs.

Preferred is good if you want to travel during blockout times (such as Mardi Gras concerts) and if you will have a car. It’s also good if you will spend a lot on food/drink and merchandise because the discount can add up over time.

Premier is in a different category. Valet is nice, but with tipping, it means you’re paying for parking every time you use it. I’m too cheap to spend $10 on “free” parking at every visit. It probably sounds like I’m dismissing the value of this perk, but I say this as someone who can easily walk long distances, and know that valet is more valuable to people who have mobility issues.

The HHN ticket is a big perk, and it’s what pushes a lot of people into this category. Unfortunately, nights are limited to September this year, making some premier APs upset because they’d planned October trips based on historical dates, and UO did not announce the eligible nights until about a month out. If the HHN ticket is what pushes you to go for premier, be flexible because you might not know the available dates until August.

The after-4 express is, IMO, the biggest perk because it gives you flexibility to stay anywhere and still have EP daily. Some premier APs say you adjust your touring style to match it. Others say the lines are typically lower after 4pm anyway, so it’s not that big a deal. It is also more valuable if you travel in peak times when the parks are open later than off peak times when closing might be at 6 or 7. Especially in September and October, you won’t get much use of it on the Studios side as most days close at 5 for HHN (and sometimes lines stop accepting riders earlier). But if you’re traveling in July, it’s really nice to chill by the pool in the heat of the day, and then hit the parks in the evening.

Also 1 Preferred AP will get your whole family the benefits of parking/discounts, but the extra Premier benefits aren't super helpful unless everyone has Premier (or you travel solo). Because 1 person having EP after 4pm isn't useful if the rest of the family would have to wait in a standby line...

If you'll park at City Walk & go for several days, the Preferred is probably the best - that free parking is a big winner. If not, you'd have to spend around $1000 on food/merchandise before you break even with discounts. Once you park 3 days, you'd only need to spend $250+ on meals & such before Preferred actually saves you money. Park 4 days & you're practically already ahead.

Depends on when you’re coming and where you’re staying and how much you’re buying. For my family, we went with seasonal passes because we weren’t planning to come during blackout times (we prefer to try for lower crowd periods). We flew in and stayed onsite, so didn’t need parking. We don’t spend so much on food and souvenirs that I thought the discount alone would not justify the price difference. Then, on the third trip, I upgraded one pass (mine) to preferred solely for the parking, and we stayed offsite for two of our trips. Because one can always upgrade, I think it makes sense to start with the lowest priced pass that you think will meet your needs.
I hadn't considered this, but it's good advice. I didn't think to look at the blackout dates, but they are all times when I wouldn't be traveling (New Year's, Easter, Christmas). You could theoretically put the money you save on your seasonal pass towards a hotel that includes Express Pass, probably wouldn't cover the whole stay, but one night would be enough. I do spend on food and souvenirs so I may still benefit from preferred, and although on my last Universal trip I stayed at the Holiday Inn and walked, so I didn't need a car. Great information to consider - Power Pass would be an option too, with fewer blackout dates and includes some access to Mardi Gras.

Also 1 Preferred AP will get your whole family the benefits of parking/discounts, but the extra Premier benefits aren't super helpful unless everyone has Premier (or you travel solo). Because 1 person having EP after 4pm isn't useful if the rest of the family would have to wait in a standby line...
I would probably take some solo trips if I had an annual pass, but I could take advantage of single-rider lines, so I don't know that I would need the EP for a solo trip.
If you'll park at City Walk & go for several days, the Preferred is probably the best - that free parking is a big winner. If not, you'd have to spend around $1000 on food/merchandise before you break even with discounts. Once you park 3 days, you'd only need to spend $250+ on meals & such before Preferred actually saves you money. Park 4 days & you're practically already ahead.
Three days with $250 in spending sound like exactly where I would be, so Preferred might be the best deal. I guess the biggest decision is if I plan on staying onsite or offsite, and parking or not.

I don’t think it would be worth it based on your trip timing and goals. Early November is a good time after HHN crowds leave but before Thanksgiving crowds arrive. Even if you sleep in and you arrive late, you should be fine. There are definitely lulls in the times for Hogwarts Express (so just monitor on the app), and Forbidden Journey is usually a walk on (or nearly so) in the evening. Waits for Hagrids can be best just after lunch or before closing, so unless you’re at the front of the rope drop pack, you don’t lose anything there by arriving later. Gringotts can get lengthy waits, but I don’t think saving time on this ride alone is worth $120 per person.
You can always wait in the single rider line for Gringott's. It usually goes faster

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter