How far do you tow?

We have traveled to FW in January, February and March. Over the years we have compiled quite a list of sketchy road conditions from Mid MI to Orlando. Pulled several trailers in inches of snow and glare ice. on the way. I-75 in Northern TN is especially fun when its snowing. Ohio has its own fun with snow squalls and wind blowing across the fields. Good times

Ok, so i wanted to do nj to disney in 2 days. 1st half would be a 11.5 hour drive to about savanna georga. Some old timers told me i was crazy. Will this be too much for the TV or the camper? I know it will take about 4 hours longer for bathrooms and food breaks. So , 15.5 hours? Thoughts good or bad welcome.
1116 miles for me. Newbie camper with travel trailer and dogs. For my first drive with a trailer I stopped in Florence, SC and it took with stops for gas, snack, bathroom breaks for dogs and humans about 14 hours to Florence. We left very early next day (5am) and were in Disney by 1:00. Remember you can't drive fast hauling a trailer which I was glad we stopped. I have driven many times to Disney from NJ without a travel trailer and it takes about 18-19 hours.

We are doing our first drive to WDW and stay at Fort Wilderness in 17 sleeps from northern VA (DC suburbs); it’s 851 miles. On day 1, we’re leaving around 7 a.m. and driving to my in-laws that live in the Myrtle Beach area. On day 2, we’ll leave about 5 a.m. and hope to pull into the Fort by early afternoon. (Now if only we could make a decision on taking the three fur-kids or not...)

As an aside, I’ve read several posts noting that the fellas are the only drivers in the family. I’m curious why that is. Admittedly, I’m not nearly as adept at backing the camper into a spot as my husband, but I’m just as comfy as he tootling down the road.

My DW doesn't drive the motorhome.. We were late on a trip to Maxwell AFB for my Father in Law's retirement, pressed for time and I had to go to the rest room. I scooted up and she slid in behind the wheel on a 4 lane busy interstate. To be honest I couldn't go. The big rigs flying by made her way too nervous. 36 foot two slides flat towing our Jeep. Needless to say I held it and we made it in time... Lesson learned. She said she could do it in an emergency if she had to. She is a great co pilot though (-:

We have a fifth wheel and usually don't drive longer than 4 or 5 hours a day. We are going down in a couple of weeks from north Georgia and will make a stop in south Georgia just near the Florida line and make it a two day trip. When I drive down in the car it's a 7 hour drive and we do it in one day no problem but the big ole truck and pulling the fifth wheel are tiring and painful for me. We have a dog and will have to stop at least twice for her and for me to just get out and walk. What is a 3 1/2 hour drive down to south Georgia to visit hubby's parents takes about 4 1/2 pulling the RV just because you have to go slower and even with just one stop in the middle, which we do when driving the car takes longer since we have to find somewhere big enough to park the RV for the stop. Hubby would have no problem driving for longer but me and puppy just can't take it.

As an aside, I’ve read several posts noting that the fellas are the only drivers in the family. I’m curious why that is. Admittedly, I’m not nearly as adept at backing the camper into a spot as my husband, but I’m just as comfy as he tootling down the road.

In our case, it's purely a question of being comfortable with it. Our previous tt was 21', and DW would do highway miles only (pull out of a rest area and into another - nothing more). When we bumped up to 35', she was done. She does not have much of any experience with trailers (beyond the little with our first rig), and is so uncomfortable and anxious that it is unsafe. I know that experience and practice would get her over the hump, but she has no interest, so I don't push it.

We have a Toy Hauler & I do drive it when I have too. Only because I don’t have a class A drivers license. When we had the Wildcat, I would drive it from sunrise until sunset. I don’t see well at night. Loved driving it. With practice your DW will feel more comfortable driving. I would think a motor home would be easier. That is what a salesman @ Camper World told me when we were thinking buying a Thor. We leave on 10/19 & are arriving on the 23rd. We do not drive at night anymore.

We have a Toy Hauler & I do drive it when I have too. Only because I don’t have a class A drivers license. When we had the Wildcat, I would drive it from sunrise until sunset. I don’t see well at night. Loved driving it. With practice your DW will feel more comfortable driving. I would think a motor home would be easier. That is what a salesman @ Camper World told me when we were thinking buying a Thor. We leave on 10/19 & are arriving on the 23rd. We do not drive at night anymore.
Driving our 45' coach towing a car is much more comfortable then a 250 pulling a 27' trailer. With the extra tires (plus tag axle) and 45k weight there is no wind problem from passing trucks and no sway. You only have to watch turning and parking, and you can haul way to much stuff. Still arriving the 25th, oh boy.

Some of us are meeting on 10/30 @ the movies around 6:00. Hope you make it & anyone else that can make it. Will be at a table close to food truck with a Skelton (I think) on the table.

Some of us are meeting on 10/30 @ the movies around 6:00. Hope you make it & anyone else that can make it. Will be at a table close to food truck with a Skelton (I think) on the table.
Looking forward to seeing everyone on the 30th. The skeleton will be a howling cayote. I'll try to get there early to save a table, they fill up fast some evenings. If anyone has a fort Dis sign that would be great.

DW has been driving for years, but as others have said, large motor home with car trailer is somewhat easier than pick up with large 5th wheel.
I personally like driving so I usually do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter