How does renting DVC effect magic bands and FP+?

BensWife

DIS Veteran
We are in the beginning stages of planning a summer 2016 WDW trip. We are thinking about renting DVC points. We rented points for a DLR vacation at the Grand Californian last year, and it was great! However, things are much different at WDW with the whole magic band thing and FP+. Does anyone know how that all works went renting points? Thanks!

We are in the beginning stages of planning a summer 2016 WDW trip. We are thinking about renting DVC points. We rented points for a DLR vacation at the Grand Californian last year, and it was great! However, things are much different at WDW with the whole magic band thing and FP+. Does anyone know how that all works went renting points? Thanks!

Same as any other WDW resort reservation. The reservation will be in your name, you link it to your MDE account and make FP+ at 60 days.

When renting points the reservation is made in your name and you receive all the benefits and perks of any other onsite guest (emh, 60 day fp+, ddp, 180+7 ADRs etc)

It is absolutely seamless, you will have no worries. Since you have already rented points before and you understand how the process works, the hard part is already behind you. The FP+ and MB stuff are easy.

I rented points for BLT in Oct and the whole process was super easy and so much cheaper then if I had booked CR thru Disney. I had no problem linking my BLT reservation to MDE and I've already cutomized my MB's. Now waiting for the 120 and 60 day mark for ADR's and FP+. The hardest part now is just waiting for Oct to get here :thumbsup2

Last edited:
We are staying at BLT on rented points next month. Everything has gone smoothly so far, including booking FP+ and magic band customization.

The only glitch lately is that the dining reservations are not recognizing a DVC reservation at the 180 day mark so you have to wait for an hour, and then call. I would try online first. Some people have had success, but many of us have had to call.

I agree with the other posters, I'm renting DVC points for a trip next week and it's been 100% seamless.

As other posters have mentioned, it's no different than booking direct through Disney as you get a reservation # in your name, which is the key to booking dining, FP+, etc. You can't take advantage of any of the special promotions like free dining or % off room rates, but I still find that I always come out ahead when renting points.

Just make sure that your name on your MDE and the name you rent the points under are the same. We ran into a problem last year when my wife and I rented points. My MDE had Mike as my name, and my DVC rental was made under Michael. It took 3 different CM at different locations (SSR, Main Street MK and AK) to finally get everything straightened out. They eventually got everything fixed but I'm guessing it took around a total of 2 hours to resolve.

My friend just rented DVC timeshare points and bought her tickets but she does not see her magic bands on her account. Does it take some time to show?

My friend just rented DVC timeshare points and bought her tickets but she does not see her magic bands on her account. Does it take some time to show?

I just rented points for October and December of this year at BLT and, as soon as the resort confirmation no. Was linked to my MDE, the magic band page was there for me to customize.

Did she manually link the room reservation to her MDE account? She won't see the option to customize the MagicBands until the room is linked to MDE.

Renting from Davids - about a year in advance
Best time frame for calling about Magic Bands, ADR's, FP+
Say we rent in Jan 2018 and stay Nov 2018
Thanks for any advice

Renting from Davids - about a year in advance
Best time frame for calling about Magic Bands, ADR's, FP+
Say we rent in Jan 2018 and stay Nov 2018
Thanks for any advice
You request the magic bands through MDE, you will be reminded to do so. You reserve ADR's at 180 days as usual, and select your Fast Passes 60 days out, also as usual. None of these are any different from staying at a regular Disney hotel.
Denise

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter