How does Disneyland keep its sidewalks/streets so clean?

ksdisneyfan

Mouseketeer
Inquiring minds want to know (specifically my DH)! I reminded him that there are street sweepers. In fact, we had a super positive experience with One of the sweepers a couple of years ago. My DS dropped his caramel apple on the ground and started crying. The sweeper asked if he could grab a new apple for him and brought one back. Made my DS's day!

Back to topic.:rolleyes1 My DH wants to know if they hose down the streets every morning to keep them clean or if they have some secret cleaning method. He thinks there's more to it than the street sweepers. Anyone know their cleaning methods?

I read that the garbage cans are put every few feet (like 29 paces or something close to that). Whatever the exact spacing is it was because they found that people won't walk more than this distance to throw away their trash. So they placed all trash cans that distance apart. No matter where you are in DL you can find a trash can within this distance.

My Son and I were staying at a good neighbor hotel on Harbor Blvd. We decided to catch a late movie in DTD. Walking back from the movie that night, crossing the Esplanade we saw CM's with industrial size hoses washing down everything including the pavement. There was even a crew outside of the park on Harbor washing down everything including the bus stop. And not just the benches but the entire shade cover as well. :laundy: :tink:

They do powerwash all the footpaths/tarmac, etc. every night. When we were doing our in-park rehearsals we had to wait for certain sections to dry.

not sure about if they wash everything down. i would think so.

But a few weeks ago my youngest DD (12 months) spilled a bag of goldfish and i picked up pretty much all of it besides crumbs, i walked over to the trash can to throw it all away and when i went back to my spot it was spotless. a CM must have walked by, cleaned up, and left THAT quick. They are always on top of trash and messes in the park.

We also were so super impressed and curious about how clean everything was!

Last fall when we were there, DS (8) spilled most of his popcorn while waiting for the Mark Twain. Before I even got a chance to get over and help clean up a CM was there to sweep it up. We had a good laugh and joked he must have followed us around (a spill for DS is NOT uncommon :laughing:).

Ok the Candy Apple story is the sweetest thing ever. [/off topic]

Yeah the streets get washed..and their sweepers are CRAZY AWESOME.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I might have to start implementing some of Disney's methods at my house. Power washing my kitchen floor every night and placing garbage cans about every three paces--maybe my house would stay cleaner? :)

In the Traditions class that every cast member has to complete, we were taught how to swoop down and pick up trash without stopping traffic flow. It is expected that any cast member, whether on duty, or in the parks for pleasure picks up any trash that they might see.

I have a friend that use to work at DL. He said they clean, clean, clean there. I asked him how often the fantasy rides are cleaned, etc..He said every night! Wow!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter