How do you purchase on line books to read

Our library uses an app called Overdrive that I can "borrow" books from. You need to have a library card to use the app. Then you can read the book through a web browser or through the Kindle app, which is what o do.
I use this too. It's great, and all free.

I believe what you may be seeing with your husband is that the first book of a series is free or cheap (99 cents) but when he wants to read the remainder of the series that is when it gets to be a little more costly...I would have him check out the library as well.

Overdrive
Bookbub
Hoopla. A great book borrowing site that also requires a library card. Not every library has joined but worth checking. There are no wait lists

my library has zinio and hoopla, so lots of magazines and books on the tablet..... plus google free ebooks amazon and you will be amazed at the lists provided almost daily for free reading.....all that and I still prefer actual books to read if I can get them,I'm a IRL library junkie....

I believe what you may be seeing with your husband is that the first book of a series is free or cheap (99 cents) but when he wants to read the remainder of the series that is when it gets to be a little more costly...I would have him check out the library as well.

This is the way it works, the publishers "give" away the first book in hopes that you like it enough to buy the rest of the series. That is how I got hooked on the Outlander series :)

Its not for electronic books, but when I had more discretionary income I would hit the antique malls, flea markets and thrift stores just to look for books. I bought hundreds of books over the years that way they were all very cheap. Nothing like paying $1.25 for a $29.99 hardback!!

I've read books using my Kindle app, but I still prefer good old paper.

Its not for electronic books, but when I had more discretionary income I would hit the antique malls, flea markets and thrift stores just to look for books. I bought hundreds of books over the years that way they were all very cheap. Nothing like paying $1.25 for a $29.99 hardback!!

I've read books using my Kindle app, but I still prefer good old paper.
To me absolutely nothing is better than reading from an actual book..the smell, the turning of the page, the cover in color (lol as kindles are not in color), there is just something about physically holding a book..Half-Price Books fed my addiction on that after Borders closed. And while I have gotten used to the Kindle I still much prefer an actual book.

I did make sure though if I was going to get a Kindle that I would get one that works for me so I chose the Voyage which allows for page turning on both sides of it by just pressing down. I also like that it is great for nighttime reading...'course that's a problem when you're staying up an hour or two or more past when you planned on going to sleep and your husband is laying there sound asleep while you're glued to the book :rolleyes1

The popular books for the ebooks are just as expensive as the hard copies. I find that frustrating. It's either the free books or way discounted, but those usually aren't the popular authors or titles.

The only way I have actually saved money on books is to buy them used on Ebay. I have been able to buy entire series for cheap money. I know it's hard copies, but the savings can be substantial.

I just got my Kindle for Christmas and am having a hard time switching from physical books to the Kindle. I too love the smell, feel and color of the covers of "real" books.

I subscribe to Bookbub as well. I also subscribe to bookgorilla.com and ereaderiq.com. There is another one I get but I can't remember the name. I haven't paid for a kindle book in years. I also write reviews for a website and, of course, get free books to review from there.

I was just going to suggest Bookbub! And I would say get the Amazon kindle first newsletter and their kindle deal newsletter. You can also check for bundles of series on Amazon. Publishers tend to set the same price across stores like Google or Amazon so I wouldn't expect to see any differences. There's always Scribd, a per-month subscription service to books. If you have a library near you but not in your county you might be able to get a card there. My local county library sucks, frankly. But, I was able to get a card to the library system in the next country over and its AWESOME. I can get their ebooks from my house with the library card just fine.

I use Hoopla through my local library. You can borrow four books per month and they also have audio books so I can listen while I walk or work around the house.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter