How do you purchase on line books to read

Tink3815

DIS Veteran
My husband has found google play to buy books to read on line. It seems like he is getting hooked into the series ones that end up being 8.99 a piece. Not exactly budget friendly . He loves to read.
Is there a cheaper way to read the new books on line or any books for that matter. Looking for websites to go to. Our local library does not seem to offer too much for free.

Thanks

I am not a techie but I have an icon on my iPad that says iBooks. It has books for sale and books for free. Think it some how uses my iTunes acct. I just purchase the free ones. Some one is laughing at my tech abilities I'm sure.

Are you sure your local library does not offer something....if you have not asked one of the reference library people, do it. Because, nowadays, most libraries have received grant funds for just that sort of thing.

Of course, if not....there are actually a lot of books that are off copyright -- think the classics, such as Tom Sawyer, etc. that people have posted online.

These might help:
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/

https://www.lifewire.com/download-free-books-3482754
Personally, I still need to hold the musty pages in my hands or it is not at all satisfying -- sort of like -- opps, won't go there, :rolleyes1

Last edited:
I like reading actual books, not online too!

But most libraries have a free online catalog that you can download the book for free (for the two week lending period). Check your local city or county library (I belong to both)

Our library uses an app called Overdrive that I can "borrow" books from. You need to have a library card to use the app. Then you can read the book through a web browser or through the Kindle app, which is what o do.

Me too, more and more new books that I want to read are coming for the Kindle.reading John Grisham's most recent book on my Kindle right now.

Really nice if I want a book to read I can search by available and get the books right away.

The kids borrow and read books on Kindle Fire and iPad Kindle app.
saves a lot of money and trips to the library.

Borrow from the library using Overdrive, find a free PDF version online and send it to the Kindle app or buy it.

Like other have said there are options out there where you can save on e-books.
I use my library (Overdrive) and I check Amazon daily for free books. I have 100's of books, and 95% of them are free ones. That being said, if your husband is a big fan of a particular series you may not find those in the free category, and have to purchase them. Definitely check your library, or even another city's library system. Some will let non residents become a member for free. Our library allows it, and the fee is $50 a year.

Does your area have a Little Library Box program? https://littlefreelibrary.org/

When I spend money on books, it's at the thrift store (buy 4, get one free), or at yard sales (even better prices!)

I have found though, that with 4 LLB's in my walking distance (that I know of), I haven't had the urge to purchase a book in months...

And yes, MOST public library systems now have some form of E-book checkout!

my town library belongs to a "library system" with a lot of other towns (we are in MA). I can reserve hard copies of books from other towns for free and I get an e-mail when the book is ready to pick up. between the Kindle lending library and borrowing books, have not paid for a book for years.

I come across a lot of free Kindle books - you can even filter your search for free books on Amazon. There are a ton available, depending on your genre preferences. I much prefer actual books, but have recently started using my Kindle app a lot more.
You may want to look into a Kindle Unlimited subscription. I believe you get unlimited books for $15/mo or so. There are some new releases through that, and a much larger library to choose from.

I haven't bought a book in over a year and that was a non fiction book that I wanted to keep. I get all of my books, whether an actual book or that I read on a kindle, through the county library. I may have to put a book on hold and wait a bit until my turn comes up, but I don't mind. I can also renew them, so if 28 days isn't enough I'll renew it for another 28.

Overdrive is great

Pixels of ink is also good - haven't used it in a while since I figured out overdrive mind you

Library is a great option (mine has really jumped onto the e-book thing).

I have a Kindle (downside to that is I can't get e-book from the library on there I have to use our tablet we have). I also bought a Kindle Unlimited (KU) subscription for 2 years at 40% off for Prime day so it brought my cost down to like $5.99 per month (edited: corrected amount) instead of $9.99 per month. That will run out this July so it will revert to the higher price but still seriously saves me soooooooooo much $$$ (downsize is you can only "borrow" up to 10 e-books at a time). I realize my situation is a bit different given that I have a kindle but I have never paid for a single e-book. I have either read through the KU subscription or have bought the book when it was $0.00. I have over 860 e-books (ok admittedly that's a ton) that I have bought for $0.00 through Amazon.

ETA: I also read a ton of physical books that I have either bought in the past or check out at the library.

Last edited:
My husband has found google play to buy books to read on line. It seems like he is getting hooked into the series ones that end up being 8.99 a piece. Not exactly budget friendly . He loves to read.
Is there a cheaper way to read the new books on line or any books for that matter. Looking for websites to go to. Our local library does not seem to offer too much for free.

Thanks

Amazon

Add me to the library card/overdrive app with the kindle app in the iPad, nook app for magazines too!

The only bad thing is a book you might want may not be available when you look so you justify put it in hold.

You can get library books via the Kindle/kindle app. I buy most of my books from Amazon, but I generally only pay full price for new releases from my fave authors. Lots of times books that I like to read go on sale for $1.99/$2.99 and I snatch that up. (I'm currently reading a trilogy by Wesley Chu that I got for $1.99 each.)

I subscribe to Bookbub as well. I also subscribe to bookgorilla.com and ereaderiq.com. There is another one I get but I can't remember the name. I haven't paid for a kindle book in years. I also write reviews for a website and, of course, get free books to review from there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter