How do you feel about glow sticks on dark rides?

I really love that people give these things away. What a fun thing to do. I will have to pick up some more to pass out waiting fortnight time shows! Give DD something to do while we wait!

Yes, my kids LOVED sharing with other kids! It was great to watch!

MrsMears, I love that I've found a kindred spirit on this board. I, too, enter the park with glow bracelets after the afternoon break. I love them! (Heck, I have a giant light up Mickey head that I wear at night in the parks, but I turn it off on rides.)

This is what I was thinking of doing for our upcoming trip for my kids who, thanks to Stitch's Great Escape, are terrified of dark rides now. A year later my 5 year olds are still talking about how they are never riding that again. I had never ridden it before and had no clue what was in store for us!

Yes, my kids LOVED sharing with other kids! It was great to watch!

MrsMears, I love that I've found a kindred spirit on this board. I, too, enter the park with glow bracelets after the afternoon break. I love them! (Heck, I have a giant light up Mickey head that I wear at night in the parks, but I turn it off on rides.)

Yay, Larina! It's just a little extra magic to carry with us in the parks, huh? My husband carries two on a loop on his backpack. The bracelets we've bought at Target are just a bit too small for his wrist. I usually fall asleep with mine still on... 42 and I'm still such a kid :) PS. Would love to see a pic of your light up Mickey head!!

This is what I was thinking of doing for our upcoming trip for my kids who, thanks to Stitch's Great Escape, are terrified of dark rides now. A year later my 5 year olds are still talking about how they are never riding that again. I had never ridden it before and had no clue what was in store for us!
When we went on this there was a grown woman who was on the verge of a full blown panic. She was visibly, genuinely frightened on this. They warn you in the que that it's a scary ride, but who would guess?

What about the Glow with the Show ears, are they programed to turn off on a dark ride?

I guess I am the grumpy exception, I hate glowing things on rides. The worst though, are the toys that light up and spin around. Sorry, but I want to ride dark rides, in the DARK. It is almost as bad as guests taking flash photos, maybe even worse, because it will last the whole ride.

That said, I GET it, my kids were afraid of really dark rides when they were young, too. If it was on their lap, it would be fine. The twirling toys and light sabers, glowing swords, certainly do not stay on the laps. Small 6" type glow sticks would be much much better. And I think they might comfort some kids.

We just tried to avoid dark rides, but that is hard to do. :wizard:

I have to agree a little. I would never get mad at a little kid because I understand the purpose, but I would probably just say to wait until they are ready for a dark rides.

If you do use them please be so careful giving it to a child because the chemicals in those things are TOXIC! I broke accidentally broke a necklace once in highschool and it ruined my clothes and got on my skin and the smell was so bad I threw up. I also scrubbed in the shower and my skin still "glowed" for about 24 hrs after. I have never purchased a glow item since.

I have to agree a little. I would never get mad at a little kid because I understand the purpose, but I would probably just say to wait until they are ready for a dark rides.

If you do use them please be so careful giving it to a child because the chemicals in those things are TOXIC! I broke accidentally broke a necklace once in highschool and it ruined my clothes and got on my skin and the smell was so bad I threw up. I also scrubbed in the shower and my skin still "glowed" for about 24 hrs after. I have never purchased a glow item since.

We did this last year for my BFF's birthday, we took them to the bar and activated them. One broke, it spilled on my hands and all over the table, it didn't smell at all and although my hands did glow for a while after I washed them it wasn't that bad at all and it was completely gone by the following day. These were the glow sticks from the dollar section of Target.

Glow products have been non-toxic for quite a long time (it's stated on the packages). I'm 39 and can remember that we used to purposely break them open to put on our skin in the early 80's (yeah....WHAM!'s "wake me up before you go-go" video made quite the impression on us, lol).

Anything glowing on Pirates or Haunted Mansion would be distracting, but a glow necklace or bracelet for a scared child would not bother me at all. :thumbsup2 A glow stick is often twirled around, which is more distracting.

A Flashlight, a laser pointer (BIG NO=NO) a twirling toy, or a light up sword should be turned off on rides or shows, including Fantasmic.

What about glow bracelets put around the ankles? It would be below the line of site on the rides and keep toes from being stepped on in the Haunted Mansion elevator room?

Glow products have been non-toxic for quite a long time (it's stated on the packages). I'm 39 and can remember that we used to purposely break them open to put on our skin in the early 80's (yeah....WHAM!'s "wake me up before you go-go" video made quite the impression on us, lol).

OMG,I probably would have died! I am super smell sensitive, so it really bothered me, plus it was a necklace that broke in my face :crazy2: This was 15 years ago, so maybe the stuff has changed, but probably still not real good to get on you still...anything that makes your skin glow, haha, the things we do as teens :rotfl:.

I could see how this idea could be helpful to a scared child possibly.

OMG,I probably would have died! I am super smell sensitive, so it really bothered me, plus it was a necklace that broke in my face :crazy2: This was 15 years ago, so maybe the stuff has changed, but probably still not real good to get on you still...anything that makes your skin glow, haha, the things we do as teens :rotfl:.

I could see how this idea could be helpful to a scared child possibly.

LOL I am too, smell sensitive, and I have really sensitive skin too, but the one that broke on me last year didn't bother me in the least, except that I glowed in weird places all night. ROFL!!!! I was just glad it didn't actually get on my clothes, it would have ruined those for sure! I'm actually looking for black light glow pens, we are having a black light party at the bar I work at at the end of the month. :)

Yes, Glow with the Show ears turn off on dark rides.

When we went on Pirates, our Glow with the Show ears turned off automatically. However, when we went through the "waterfall" to the fight scene they turned back on. We ended up shutting them off for the other guests.

I think it's a wonderful idea...my boys are 14, 12, & 9, and I plan on doing it for them just for fun in the evenings. I have bought each boy 6 bracelets so far & I want to buy more. It would be fun if they could hand them out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter