How do you/do you eat healthy on vacation?

You will have a car and a fridge, so you can just eat what you normally eat for breakfast. You can use the microwave at the resort CS location.

ETA: You could also consider a side of scrambled eggs at CS (I know it is not egg whites), packaged fruit and veggies at CS locations (just toss the "unhealthy" dips), "healthier" granola bars/ Lara bars, etc. that you can get at Whole Foods

jwfla422 said:
I've been seeing more posts than ever on the boards these days about this. It's nice to see actually and all of these posts are great tips.:thumbsup2

I am also extremely health conscious everyday as well. As of lately I've tried to cut out as much processed food as possible as well which is not easy. I also have a website that reviews the restaurants in WDW so that makes it even more tricky for us!:thumbsup2 However that being said, here's what I do IN ADDITION to some of the tips others have mentioned (like stocking up on healthy snacks in your room, etc).

We eat at a lot of the TS restaurants so I practically study the menus before we go and pick a few of those options. I omit things from some of the dishes they serve or put things on the side...etc. If most of the choices are really in question, I'll go with the salad option.;) We have become big fans of The Wave at the CR because a lot of their food is organic and health oriented AND DELICIOUS!:thumbsup2 There are more restaurants like this popping up all over and even in WDW. Even some of the CS/QS are adding healthier options to their menus.

If you're stuck eating something that has a little more of what you really didn't want to eat, just eat less of it, don't beat yourself up and move onto the next plan. I know you mentioned you'll be in 4 different hotels, are some of these on property? There are places you can rent a microwave from in the area? Have you looked into that at all? We are big fans of the DVC studios and FW cabins so we have this option (the kitchenette of the DVC studios are wonderful and the cabins have full kitchens).

I'm right there with you and although we do occasional splurges in WDW but I try to stick to the healthier habits most of the time, so I totally understand. Best thing to do is the plan before you dine somewhere and to see what you're options are as far as being able to rent a microwave if you're in a regular hotel room.:)

One thing I have to add though because this always sticks in my mind since this happened in WDW. We went to R&C for lunch for my birthday some years back and they had this awesome salad, it was so great that I was looking forward to it the next trip and to my disappointment it was gone off the menu! I was so bummed, and there was nothing else similar, when I asked if they can just make a salad with chicken the server gave me attitude (like "why"), but she did return and said it was fine. When I asked her why they didn't have any "healthy" options on the menu, she shrugged her shoulders and the people next to me said (and I quote).."healthy? Why would you want to eat healthy in Disney World"... wow...I just shook my head in amazement.

We love the Wave! Other restaurants we love are Flying Fish, Citricos, Artist Point, Tokyo Dining, Crystal Palace breakfast believe it or not is amazing. They have made to order eggs, so egg white omelettes with loads of veggies, huge impressive fresh fruit and berries display, decent roasted breakfast potatoes/peppers. The chef makes me gf/df waffles. It's a fun character breakfast and if you can get in at 8 am or so it's really cool to see main street and the Castle with very few people around.

I also love jwfla422's suggestion of asking for different sides (steamed or roasted veggies instead of mac n cheese or buttery mashed potatoes), asking for sauces on the side, or hold the sauce...These are things we do and have never had a problem. We are willing to pay an upcharge if there is one, but usually we find Disney restaurants are happy to oblige.

Well I honestly feel that if your a Healthy eater and your good about keeping to that then it might not hurt to let lose just a little, Unless you think it would make it harder to get back on track when you get home. You might take the magic out of your trip if you struggle to keep up with your current eating habits. I guess I'm the snake in the tree cause I say let your hair down. Your going to be doing a lot of moving and walking after you eat so it shouldn't have too many bad affects on your health.

All diets are put on hold when we are on vacation. We eat whatever we want! Love it!

Tried this LOL, backfires too much on me...within 24 hrs of overindulgence or getting off the "normal eating habits" hits me like a ton of bricks and you don't want to know details.:scared1::rotfl: (it's not worth the consequences although "moderation" is a little more cooperative with me;))

kris4360 said:
All diets are put on hold when we are on vacation. We eat whatever we want! Love it!

For some of us it's not a diet, rather a lifestyle choice. We choose to eat whole foods-fruits, veggies, meats, fish, chicken, we do eat rice and legumes, eggs. We eat limited sweets, and we bake treats at home. This way of life makes us feel great! So when we steer away from clean eating, and eat lots of processed foods, fatty foods, fried or sugary foods, our systems don't do well. We get sick and it's just not worth it. Our family definitely has treats and indulgences at wdw all the time, and even that has repercussions! Meaning we eat breakfast in the room, and perhaps something at the TS lunch upsets my stomach. Granted I do have gut issues, the point is some people can't just lose the diet and eat 3 heavy indulgent meals a day for a week :-)

and you know in theory I'm not opposed to that! But and a big but, for 13 days, my kids and myself included would be miserable! 3 days on the DDP and we couldn't do it! Wasting food is an issue, eating 2 to 3 meals a day in restaurants is the bigger issue. Eating food not prepared how we like it is also a problem! For a couple of days no problem, for 13 I don't honestly think I could do it without a griddle, a microwave and even the crockpot!

and we aren't picky eater nor health fanatics!

ttintagel said:
The things you eat = your diet.

The poster I quoted said all diets are put on hold when at wdw. My point was in response to their comment about healthy eating/clean eating being a considered a "diet". Using your definition, that poster wouldn't have eaten while in wdw, as they said all diets are put on hold ;-) I do see your point and agree. However I was quoting a specific comment :-)

kris4360 said:

Oh believe me, we will indulge, but there is no way I could do 13 days of eating the Disney way. #1, our bodies are not used to it and I know we would be miserable after just a few meals; #2, it is so wasteful and #3, our budget does not allow it. We only have 3 ADRs set: Garden Grill, CRT for her birthday and The Wave.

And I am no saint: my daughter's favorite food is doughnuts (I hear there is someplace at WDW that has a doughnut bar?!) and mine is cheese, so we def are not complete purists. We also have not been this way all our lives, only since 2007 have I changed my ways and we have only been on long vacations twice since then, and even though we had kitchens, eventually all the fast food and heavy stuff caught up to me and I was an unhappy traveler. I am not trying to make every single meal and snack clean, but we do believe and know for ourselves that a healthy hearty breakfast starts the day much better than sugar and carbs.

I think I am going to pack the microwave and if someone says we can't have it or we end up not needing, it can stay in the car. I had also thought of our panini/griddle, but it can create some smoke, so I would worry using it in a hotel.

For some of us it's not a diet, rather a lifestyle choice. We choose to eat whole foods-fruits, veggies, meats, fish, chicken, we do eat rice and legumes, eggs. We eat limited sweets, and we bake treats at home. This way of life makes us feel great! So when we steer away from clean eating, and eat lots of processed foods, fatty foods, fried or sugary foods, our systems don't do well. We get sick and it's just not worth it. Our family definitely has treats and indulgences at wdw all the time, and even that has repercussions! Meaning we eat breakfast in the room, and perhaps something at the TS lunch upsets my stomach. Granted I do have gut issues, the point is some people can't just lose the diet and eat 3 heavy indulgent meals a day for a week :-)

Boy, I couldn't agree more! We were in WDW for 10 days earlier this month and while I tried to stick to the healthier way I eat at home, for me it was harder than I thought. I eat similarly to what you described, except not a lot of meat, more vegetarian and seafood and fruit. I thought I could eat the "regular" Disney food and snacks and be ok, after all it was only a week & 1/2, but I was miserable after the first few days. :eek:My body totally rebelled and I am only now, after being home for 2 weeks, just starting to feel "normal" again.
My biggest mistake was just the dining plan...so much food. I ate way too much partly because i was in this mind-set of not wasting food and getting our money's worth, and apparently I have very little self-control in WDW!:rotfl::rotfl: It got to the point we had all these extra snack we collected but just couldn't eat because we were too stuffed and felt :sick: Not making that mistake again! We are going to WDW in August and there is no way I want to feel the way I did again, especially in that heat! We will probably eat mostly TS and I'll request items to be prepared healthier/simpler at least no sauces or extras. I did eat mostly seafood, chicken and veggies this trip, but way too many desserts!;)

It isn't always as easy as you may think, I've been eating healthier for 3 years now, lost 75 lbs and generally feel great, but in WDW, I kinda lost perspective.

Good tips here though and I'll be using some for my next trip so hopefully I can be on better behavior:rotfl: I already know I'm not going to any dinner buffets, way too dangerous for me!:lmao: Good Luck!

my daughter's favorite food is doughnuts (I hear there is someplace at WDW that has a doughnut bar?!)

:offtopic: Speaking of donuts, should you happen to hit TL or BB, they both sell these warm little baby donuts, you can buy them by the 1/2 dozen, dozen! They can be accompanied by a raspberry (my personal favorite), chocolate or iced sugar dipping sauce. These are not to be missed, especially if one's favorite food are donuts! Tasty little suckers! :cloud9:

When at home I follow Weight Watchers and have done so for 2 years now. Definitely a lifestyle change for me. I no longer eat any fast food or fried food and eat a very low fat diet which is heavy on vegetables and fruits...lean meat, chicken and fish as well.

When we travel to Disney it's a bit of a shock to the system but I do try to follow my diet as much as possible and I do allow for splurges. As much as I WANT to eat like a glutton, my body just can't take it. I don't want to be too graphic but "bathroom issues" become a problem if you follow...especially after eating too much fried food.

I do have a lot of weight left to lose but have lost 60 lbs thus far. It's not easy at home to keep on track but it's even harder while on vacay especially in The World. We do breakfast in our room most often. Typically we're in a villa and have a fridge and microwave. And then have a light lunch in the parks with our heavier meal being dinner.

With a little extra planning and menu reading ahead of time I think you and your fam will be fine!! It never hurts to talk to the manager at any given CS location. Maybe they would have ideas or options that are not necessarily published anywhere.

Have fun!!

I have been on a diet since new years. Lost a decent amount of weight. We are going away the 2nd week in Feb. I will probably do my best to eat right, but i won't stress out about it.

I plan on really sticking to my diet but while on vacation I am not going to go crazy. With all the walking that will be had I plan on burning alot of calories.

I know when I return home I will be on my best behavior, but with vacation I have to just relax and not worry too much about what I eat.

When eating at TS restaurants you can always ask for plain grilled chicken/beef/fish and steamed veggies with no butter. WDW is very accommodating at TS locations. It is harder with CS but there are some options

I think there's a lot of middle ground between eating a very restricted diet and "just giving in and eating whatever." That middle ground is usually where I spend my vacation.

No day of vacation at Disney feels better than an egg white omelet for breakfast, a Mickey Ice Cream bar and a soda pop for lunch, grilled fish for dinner.....of course, no dessert.....:badpc:

If you do a sit down restaurant for breakfast, an egg white omelette should not be a problem. At counter service you can just order scrambled eggs ad pick up yogurt to go with it. All the parks have stands with fresh fruit with a little work, you can eat healthy. We even but salmon at some of te counter service restaurants. We are not hamburger and French fry people.

We get oatmeal at CS , there are fresh fruit stands at the parks. Wolfgang has several healthy options. We drink water. Also a trip to a grocery store or grocery delivery helps.

We eat very clean, organic, unprocessed and are vegetarian. I use the menus on AllEars to plan our meals. We love Boma and can't wait to try Sanaa this trip (we'll get the salad sampler and vegetarian sampler). We always bring healthy bars as snacks (Lara, etc), order things like water, organic cereal and almond milk, hummus & produce from Garden Grocer. You can always find fresh produce around the resorts and parks as well. For CS we like the bean & rice burrito at Tortuga Tavern that has a toppings bar with lettuce and tomatoes, Tangierine Cafe, Sunshine Seasons, and POR has make your own salad and pasta stations with lots of veggies, chickpeas, and nuts. Many CS locations are starting to offer quinoa wraps and salads, which I am thrilled about! You can also request sorbet with berries as a healthy dessert. I, too, have a sensitive stomach and ended up with a pretty bad stomach ache after a heavy, oily dish last trip.

BEASLYBOO said:
and you know in theory I'm not opposed to that! But and a big but, for 13 days, my kids and myself included would be miserable! 3 days on the DDP and we couldn't do it! Wasting food is an issue, eating 2 to 3 meals a day in restaurants is the bigger issue. Eating food not prepared how we like it is also a problem! For a couple of days no problem, for 13 I don't honestly think I could do it without a griddle, a microwave and even the crockpot!

and we aren't picky eater nor health fanatics!

For us the most is 9 days, any more than that I'm sure we would get sick too. Nothing goes to waste so no worries there. I love it! Can't wait for all those desserts !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter