How do you deal with sit down eating alone.

I had two fun solo dining experiences yesterday. I am in the Netherlands, I was at Efteling, which is the 3rd biggest themepark in Europe around 7-8 million visitors a year (I think), somehow they dont encounter solo visitors doing sit down dinners often.

Due to a planning issue, I had to cancel my dining reservation. I go to the restaurant, talk to the head. She offers to make me a new reservation at a different restaurant. Very nice. She can't get a hold of the restaurant and starts chatting. When she discovers I am travelling solo, and doing a sit down dinner alone. She was full of awe. "That is so good of you."

About 30 minutes later, I am at the other restaurant. And the same thing happens. My server starts chatting as well. Same reaction. "I really want to do solo, I sometimes go to the movies solo..."

No pity whatsoever. A bit confused maybe, but certainly also a bit of respect for those who go to a park by themselves and add table service and hotel on top of it. 😀

I had two fun solo dining experiences yesterday. I am in the Netherlands, I was at Efteling, which is the 3rd biggest themepark in Europe around 7-8 million visitors a year (I think), somehow they dont encounter solo visitors doing sit down dinners often.

Due to a planning issue, I had to cancel my dining reservation. I go to the restaurant, talk to the head. She offers to make me a new reservation at a different restaurant. Very nice. She can't get a hold of the restaurant and starts chatting. When she discovers I am travelling solo, and doing a sit down dinner alone. She was full of awe. "That is so good of you."

About 30 minutes later, I am at the other restaurant. And the same thing happens. My server starts chatting as well. Same reaction. "I really want to do solo, I sometimes go to the movies solo..."

No pity whatsoever. A bit confused maybe, but certainly also a bit of respect for those who go to a park by themselves and add table service and hotel on top of it. 😀

I find it funny that so many people think this way. Ever since public restaurants were invented, they had solo diners. In fact, that is what the lunch diner was invented for, to feed the men on their lunch break. The whole restaurant would be full of solo diners. I think that it is worse for woman then men to be solo, as if we are so undesirable that no one wants to be with us but no one thinks that way about men. It's really a strange mentality in this day and age.

I find it funny that so many people think this way. Ever since public restaurants were invented, they had solo diners. In fact, that is what the lunch diner was invented for, to feed the men on their lunch break. The whole restaurant would be full of solo diners. I think that it is worse for woman then men to be solo, as if we are so undesirable that no one wants to be with us but no one thinks that way about men. It's really a strange mentality in this day and age.
As I stated before, I just don't understand it. Maybe if it were 1920 it would make sense but in 2021 it is a conundrum. I knew that when I was young in the 50's that attitude was somewhat prevalent, and even then it was something that I didn't understand. Who told women that they were only allowed to eat if they were with someone else. I realize the is was a shaming tactic back when it was considered that women were second class citizens and had to be accompanied by a man to give them status. But, today, really? Women, step out of the dark ages. Human beings need to eat to live, it isn't a privilege it is a necessity. If anyone mentions it, you might just ask them when it became any of their business or just laugh at them, sit down and enjoy your meal.

I travel a lot for work.

Alone or with another be eat at the bar….
As a rule the service is WAY better

I had the most trepidation about the California Grill Sunday Brunch. I had to do it even alone. It was great. So happy I went. But sad that it might never return. Missed out on a couple of things because you can only eat so much.

Enjoy your trip and don't feel at all self conscious about any of your dining experiences. The servers in any circumstances are kind, friendly and accommodating.

Of course! It was my second favorite meal in WDW after Vicky and Al but I don't believe the Sunday Brunch is back yet.
By the way has anyone done V & A solo?
I had 2 solo V&A ADR wiped out during the closure. It’s on my Disney bucket list. Can’t imagine it’s too bad. I think the most intimidating one is Biergarten with communal tables.

So… as the OP. I just thought I’d post an update. I just arrived this morning for my first DVC stay
Have a wonderful time and please come back here and let us know where you dined at and how it went! Going on my first solo later next year and would love to hear about your experienc!

I had 2 solo V&A ADR wiped out during the closure. It’s on my Disney bucket list. Can’t imagine it’s too bad. I think the most intimidating one is Biergarten with communal tables.

I'd like to go back to V& A. I went many years ago with my family when it was $100 per person. Well if people do it solo that's encouraging to me.
I've never done Biergarten because of those communal tables. I would hate it. Also I've read many times the food isn't good so that's no incentive.

One of my favorite YouTubers Jen Lefforge does lots of solo Disney trips . She has tons of helpful tips on dining solo . 😊

I’ve noticed lately that the number of “1” reservations are almost non existent. I’ve had a lot of luck by walking up and asking if they have availability for one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter